The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Quick tip to the community...

By on October 27, 2009 2:21:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...of a game that is still pretty much in its infancy:  don't carry your snobby "l33t" attitudes over from DOTA.

I just got this game about 3 days ago (with a friend's promo code), and I dig it so far.  I've played DOTA since way before Frozen Throne, and this game seems like a good step forward in that gameplay (with noteable flaws, but that's a different thread).  At first, I just played vs. AI to familiarize myself, but once I could kick the crap out of Nightmare AI, I decided it's time to play against people.  So, I started play online.  And wouldn't you know it...in the third game I joined someone on my team starts complaining that I only have 2 online games played and should be kicked as a "N00b."

I'm sure most of the community is smarter than this, but just in case there are people out there reading this who aren't:  When a game like this is in its infancy (which it still is, IMO), the goal is to build a strong community base so that the developer will actually give enough of a shit to support the game.  I see 4-5 games at once tops when I'm looking for an online game, and people are still going to try and sift through the "noobs"??  What, do you want to keep this game played by beta-testers only?

Probably a pointless post, it just really surprised me that "kick the n00b!" attitude came up in a game with such a tiny community.  Luckily, the host in that game felt the same and kicked that moron.

0 Karma | 23 Replies
October 27, 2009 3:05:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Noob calling isn't a nice way to go, but if all other ppl have like 200+ games,

and you only have 3, then its in everyones best interest that you leave, this also

benefits you, as you might get killed a lot. who likes this:p

if the other team contains newer players (-50 games) too, the game is more

"balanced" and it is no problem to play with somebody new.

October 27, 2009 3:43:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nobody had higher than 60 games except one who had 80 something.  And that's beside the point...how do new players get more games under their belts if they just get kicked for NOT have enough games under their belts?  If you want the game to last, worry about a strong foundation, not preserving some "l33t" basis out of principle that's carried over from an entirely different source.  200+ games?  Compared to how many thousands in games that have been able to stick around?

October 27, 2009 3:56:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Host your own noob games. Or join them. DO NOT JOIN No noobs pro games good players whatever, coz you'll get kicked and if you dont your being an aseholl because it pretty much is an autoloss.

I'm totally ok with playing noobs in my game, but not in a competive match, the most important thing for me is COMMUNICATE. If people are trying to kick you, try to convince them somehow but more importantly when ingame learn to type. How many times have I seen people who turn completly deaf ingame. THIS IS VERY BAD, you can learn a lot from playing with better players. 

Or play with friends.

Anyway, we can play, just add me as friend(same name).

October 27, 2009 4:28:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You have yet to understand that ONE person can lose a match.  Your lack of online experience means you have no idea of what tricks people can pull, and they WILL pull them on you.  Think of it like progressing through content.  You play in noob games while you're a noob.. then move on.  But you can't just jump into a pro or no noob game without learning h2play multiplayer.

The MMO equivalent would be demanding to raid end game dungeons that people spent months at max level to even acquire the gear to do anything in it when you just hit max level.  (i.e. fresh lvl 80 in WoW wants to raid heroic TotC).

If there aren't any noob or beginner specific games going on, host your own!  You will honestly have a much better time playing at that skill level than @ pro atm.  And hey, if you win every game.. after 15-20 with 100% ppl will probably take you more seriously.. and that's only a day or two if you're for sure good enough to move up the chain (oh, and it's DEFINITELY possible for a "pro" to singlehandedly win a noob game)

October 27, 2009 6:18:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would have to agree with RAWRRRR and Lifekatana. Off and online games are like night and day and a lot of tricks and strategy is involved in "live" games that you won't find done by AI. And it IS true that 1 person can lose a game. Believe me, I mean no disrespect, I know we all started with something. I don't mind having a newbie on the team as long as the teams are balanced and the newbie is responsive in-game. There's really nothing worse than having a person who completely doesn't seem to read the messages on the screen, as pointed out by Lifekatana. You really don't have to have 1000 strokes/min to do it, there are some established short words (like "b" for "back", or "sh" for shop, "s" for snipe, etc).

Start out with the so called noob games, host your own and you will see exactly why we're advising you do this. Demigod online has a learning curve. If you want, add me as a friend and we can play together.

October 27, 2009 7:00:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pantheon can also a great option if you are just trying to get some games in.  I'm glad to see another new player and hopefully things go smoother for you now. 

October 27, 2009 7:15:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm sure most of the community is smarter than this, but just in case there are people out there reading this who aren't:  When a game like this is in its infancy (which it still is, IMO)

Infancy?  Not quite the term I would have used.  But in all seriousness, go play 20 or so Pantheon games before you play in anything other than a noob game.  Also, host your own game with Noob in the title and it will fill up within minutes.

October 27, 2009 7:40:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm kind of surprised at how you (who have admittedly played only single-player games and a handful of online games) have the ego to come up here and lecture some of the most dedicated community members.

October 27, 2009 9:41:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll cover the general comments. 

1.  No, the game I referenced was not a "Pro" game or "No-noob" game...as I recall, all it said in the title was "3v3".  Obviously, I would not join a game that specified such a thing, so that's not the issue.

2.  I do, very much, understand that one person can lose a game.  Like I've said, I played DOTA for years, and it was the same case in that game.  But guess what?  A team is going to lose.  A team HAS to lose.  Blacklisting new players out of fear of losing is downright retarded.  A game that doesn't state otherwise should be a game for the public in general, and nobody inside it should bitch about anyone's experience, especially when a game is still just gaining ground.

3.  Yes, this game is in its infancy when you compare it to ANY online game that has been around for years. 

And 4.  vindKtiv, get defensive if you wish.  Obviously, I'm not lecturing "dedicated community members", because such community members would be interested in building the strength of the game's player-base.  I'm bringing an expierence to light in hope of encouraging a friendlier atmosphere towards new players.  If you think yourself so above contructive criticism, well hell go with it.  Whatever floats your boat.

Thank you to those who posted constructive comments.

October 27, 2009 9:45:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes as said by others. Host noob games. Heck play with me if you can. I'd be more than happy to help you. I don't feel the noob attitude is good but in competitive games I will kick them. Best thing you can do is to listen to your allies. If your ally says stay back behind me and is doing fairly well you stay behind them and harass enemies.

To give an example I had a TB on my team once that had 6 games. I didn't boot him and took him onto my team to be nice. He died within the frist 5 minutes and again within 2 minutes after being alive. After the 3rd death due to him running into towers I finally quit the game and rehosted the match. I had told the torchearer to stay behind me and fireball snipe and auto attack snipe and to not try to get any kills or go it alone but he refused to listen.

It's the moron noobs that suck not the noobs that listen to the more experienced players. You seem like the one who would listen and learn not get spanked again and again without listening.

My win percent is high enough to suffer a few loses to give you a few games under your belt without completely wrecking your percent or mine. Like set up a time with me to play a 1 on 1 on prison and I could teach you how to interact with another enemy demigod that has a human mind behind it. Which demigod do you prefer to play? That may be part of it. Most people with low games and who play rook as really bad. Why? He's hard to play and not die with.

October 27, 2009 9:57:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The best thing you can do is host your own games and title them "NEW PLAYERS ONLY!"

October 27, 2009 10:45:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm sorry people were rude to you but I'd like to say something in our defense. 

I've often knowingly played with beginners on my team and have volunteered to have them switch to my team because I don't really care about my win ratio.  Occasionally this is a rewarding experience where the beginner player listens to me and my other ally's suggestions and even if we don't have a chance to win, we still have a fun game and I get a warm fuzzy mushy girlfriend made me watch a chick flick that wasn't that bad feeling.  Maybe they won't end up sticking with the game but at least I've helped someone learn to play this game a bit and maybe helped the community have a chance to grow a little... who knows?

Usually they don't listen at all, die three times in two minutes, then rage quit without saying anything... though once and a while they'll say "%#$ing premades!" before they leave.

So hopefully you'll forgive people who unfortunately have bad attitudes about noobs.

October 27, 2009 11:57:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3. Yes, this game is in its infancy when you compare it to ANY online game that has been around for years.

First of all this game is NOT in its infancy. It was in its prime about 3-4 months ago. It started its Downfall just when i started playing it. Its downfall continues until today.

Secondly, some people (myself included) have been so badly and so many times burned by noobs that they dont welcome them so much anymore. Others are really cool and friendly to noobs.

Third, "noob" is not a bad word or a curse. Yes some people use it to insult others, but it just means you are new to the game. (I am sure you already know that he he).

And Lastly, Welcome to Demigod!

October 28, 2009 12:33:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I play in australia, and have seen many a new player come through for one or two games then stop playing.

Theres probably been maybe at least 15-20+ people who had just bought the game and come to play latenight when i'm usually on, so i teamed up with them, tried teaching them the ropes etc. There's even been a couple of guys who had owned the game for only 2 hours, or even one who had only downlaoded the game 20 minutes previous!

After the battle, win/lose/disconnect they were really keen, liked the game, found it fun, wanted to play more, looked forward to playing/trying out the other heros. etc etc

Problem was, after a few days, I might only possibly run into some of them, never really seeing the rest again. And all the ones I never really saw again had two complaints they all shared.

1. Didn't see any hosted games with decent ping, so they couldn't play custom. (They didn't even think of hosting any.)

2.  Pantheon lagged massive for them, and people quit at such things.

Some of this is location. But theres normally enough people to make a game, even in aus/nz/asia.

So my point is, there hasto be more people hosting noob-friendly games. But how do we get it out to new people that since it is p2p they can host their own games without needing a server/T-1 connection?

October 28, 2009 5:00:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well first of all Welcome to our Community.

Maybe you allready found out that our Community is much better then the one of DOTA.

As some others said, if you are new to the game you should play with new players, so host your own game with "new players" in the name or play Pantheon.

You'll see that you learn fast how to play it and you will get enough games soon so that they don't call you a newbie anymore.

There are many people out there that can and want teach new Players how game works, and maybe you should read some strategy guides.

Sometimes i host games, even new player games (i played 52 games after stat reset, so i get called a noob before game starts, but if they try it out, they normally see that i am no noob)

So host your games or join games of new players, there are allways a few games to join for you, for sure.

And if you played 50-100 games your Noob Title is away anyway.

Have a lot of fun playing Demigod

October 28, 2009 11:00:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

stats don't matter

October 28, 2009 12:14:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MisterHankey,
stats don't matter

yes i think so 2

but allredy you get kicked because of bad stats lol

October 28, 2009 1:46:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What I hate

You join a noob game and get kicked

In all honesty

WTF?!?

October 28, 2009 8:12:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And 4.  vindKtiv, get defensive if you wish.  Obviously, I'm not lecturing "dedicated community members", because such community members would be interested in building the strength of the game's player-base.  I'm bringing an expierence to light in hope of encouraging a friendlier atmosphere towards new players.  If you think yourself so above contructive criticism, well hell go with it.  Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not getting defensive. What you are doing is outright attacking the dedicated community members by calling them irresponsible with newer players. That is not true. You are not bringing and experience to light, your ideas have been thought of long ago and tossed away because they were completely useless and one-sided. I am not above constructive criticism, but it is quite obvious you feel you are above criticism in general.

What you are essentially saying is, older players should hold your hand while playing their game so that they waste their precious time dealing with you so you can have a good time. That is exactly what you are saying. There is already an established base for newer players and you not dealing with that is your own fault.

You clearly demonstrate ignorance of the community of Demigod as well as the community of any other online game with your posts.

1.  No, the game I referenced was not a "Pro" game or "No-noob" game...as I recall, all it said in the title was "3v3".  Obviously, I would not join a game that specified such a thing, so that's not the issue.

2.  I do, very much, understand that one person can lose a game.  Like I've said, I played DOTA for years, and it was the same case in that game.  But guess what?  A team is going to lose.  A team HAS to lose.  Blacklisting new players out of fear of losing is downright retarded.  A game that doesn't state otherwise should be a game for the public in general, and nobody inside it should bitch about anyone's experience, especially when a game is still just gaining ground.

3.  Yes, this game is in its infancy when you compare it to ANY online game that has been around for years.

1. The host is at liberty to kick whoever the heck he or she wants. He is in no obligation to let you play just because his game name didn't specifically say so. It isn't going to hurt the community at all. All it is going to do is drive off some annoying kids who think they can play.

2. Yes, everyone is going to lose once in a while. But you know what is more fun? Playing a game where you know you actually have a chance to win instead of playing a game where you know for a fact you are going to lose because some idiot who doesn't know how to play. It isn't all about you. Other players also want to have fun, and having to carry around a n00b is NOT fun for the most part.

3. No, this game is arguably past its prime now. The population is currently shrinking and most of the players aren't casual players.

I'm not hating on you or anyone else. I just don't like how you have the attitude to demand everything from the community. Play any game with stats. Nobody wants to play with a n00b and that is clear. There are tons of people who put up with the fact that they are not wanted until they get better. Why can't you? It is only natural for players to want the best experience, and you ruining the game with your inexperience is not giving them the best experience.

It isn't like you are the only one going through this, I still go through this process and everybody else went through this process. It doesn't hurt and it is actually kinda fun. So why...?

October 28, 2009 9:56:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you very much vindKtiv. You told everything i was thinking to say to Punch.

And also; Why do always new players that join the community of Demigod think they are "All-So-Damn-Awesome" ??

October 29, 2009 7:12:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting morpheas768,
Thank you very much vindKtiv. You told everything i was thinking to say to Punch.

And also; Why do always new players that join the community of Demigod think they are "All-So-Damn-Awesome" ??

Thats every game morpheas. Newcomers to forged alliance were always bragging they could beat the hard AI and then within 10 minutes I'd have double their score and 3-4 times their units. It happens to every game. Demigod's learning curve fortunatly isn't that vertical wall that Forged Alliance's was.

October 29, 2009 7:23:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats every game morpheas. Newcomers to forged alliance were always bragging they could beat the hard AI and then within 10 minutes I'd have double their score and 3-4 times their units. It happens to every game. Demigod's learning curve fortunatly isn't that vertical wall that Forged Alliance's was.

Well Forged alliance is one of the toughest online games there are out there. I only played a few matches only to get my ass kicked cause i was a complete noob. I see your point, but i usually dont start playing an online game and brag about my skills when i am a noob. I guess some people do that.

November 1, 2009 8:23:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

God i wish we had more stuck up DOTA players.  At least they'd be full of themselves and actually play instead of screaming "premade", when I play with one of my friends who has under 30% win ratio.  This is the worst gaming community I've ever been a part of.  It's too bad I enjoy the game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.