The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Do we need unranked games...

Stats overlays allow for the resaults of match to be predicted before the game starts

By on October 22, 2009 9:37:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since stat overlays have been introduced it has been easy and quick to estimate a players skill with resonable accuracy in pugs. This allows a players in the loby to be split into the most even teams posible, this is very good when even teams are possible.

The problem occurs when there is an odd number (3 is the worst) of weak or 'pro' (pro is less of a problem) players in a loby as these cannot be evenly distributed on each team, resaulting in one team being very likely to win (and the other lose), with everyone knowing it. This requires either that players be kicked or quiting, or that the weaker team agrees to play knowing that they will most likely loose around the 10 to 18 min mark and loose ranking before the game starts (I really dont like to do this).

The unranked option would be useful in this case because it will allow the game to happend and will still be fun upto a cirtain point in the game regardless of skill, yes this not even close to being ideal but still its better than the current situation. One problem is now there is little insentive not to RQ after a few deaths.

Since there is no longer the threat of a exp drop to the stronger team this will ecourage them to use weaker (but possibly more fun) demigod builds to help ballance the game and attempt to make it changing for both teams. Fun or game to try build out would also be possible.

I dont think this could be too hard to impliment, just add a dropdown box for ranked or unranked under the game options that would trigger the game resault not to count. Could the under 3 min dissconect code (or invalid gamesate) be altered to do this?

+2 Karma | 3 Replies
October 23, 2009 4:19:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you'd also see more pre vs pre

October 23, 2009 9:47:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting playgroundlegend,
you'd also see more pre vs pre

could you or anyone else add more about this good resons that it would be good for pre vs pre, i think if we can convince stardock that unranked games are a good thing it could come out with next patch.

I can see it being too much work, i would think the hard to code parts can be borrowed from what is already there (but i dont know anything specific about this stuff).

are there any good reasons for not having an unranked games option?

the only one i can think of is that cirtian players would refuse to play in ranked games, either player would have to comprimise or this could could cause a psudo split in the comminity but people playing demigod have comprimise a lot anyway to get games going. (I dont consider this anywhere a good enough argument that there should not be an option for players.)

October 23, 2009 10:14:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you had unranked games, I think people would play a lot more casually. 

Speaking for myself, if the game says "no noobs, or be good" or something to that effect, I will be a bastard when it comes to playing.  I'm there to win.

If the game is "fun" or "casual" I don't take it seriously at all and don't put pressure on teammates.  An unranked game setting would make this even more the case.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000218   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.