The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

If connection problems are all fine and dandy now then why...

By on October 19, 2009 11:37:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If connection problems are all fine and dandy now then why is it still so rare to see 5 vs 5 and 4 vs 4 games?

3 vs 3 (usually on cataract) is pretty much the default setting in this game.  5 vs 5 has NEVER been a viable option in this game since the beta.

Why do you hardly ever get 5 vs 5 games?  Its actually not THAT hard to get a game started, but you can guarantee it will lag, and someone will then drop or ragequit very soon.  I think this is why people don't even bother trying to start games.

Now the developers can put the blame on people having poor connections if they want, but if the status quo is the game doesn't work properly then maybe they are the ones that need to change it.  With the game being peer to peer, it only takes 1 player to have a shit connection or PC and the game is ruined. 

Is this ever going to be fixed and give us confidence that 5 vs 5 is going to work?

+7 Karma | 35 Replies
October 21, 2009 5:54:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,
If there was an ingame overlay (hint hint) which would show the users how good their computer and internet connection can handle a match, then it would be the users' fault for ignoring this information and making the match lag.

Imho it was a big design fault at GPG to not describe the real game requirements so that everyone understands them:

minimal XX kb/sec Download and XX kb/sec Upload (for 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4, 5vs5)
minimal CPU requirements for each map (sim speed depends mostly on number of portals and size of map, because it is determined by pathfinding of reinforcements which runs on the CPU; graphics can always be lowered)

Just wanted to quickly point out computer speed cpu/graphics card etc.. are not what my problem is.. I'm always at 9sim, I've seen it at 8once before..

October 21, 2009 9:27:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I can agree that the actual internet speeds required should have been listed in the requirements, it's also worth pointing out that during the Beta I believe nearly all of the testers were from North America, who - on average - have much faster internet speeds than what's readily available to myself, for example. I believe this factored into this situation. For me, the game really shines at a 3v3 level, so I think our situation is acceptable.

October 23, 2009 2:31:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry, but I played Starcraft fine on dialup a decade ago. My roommate and I played Warcraft 3 fine over a split 56k connection. It's not the players' fault, it's the game's.

If P2P is supposed to cut down on latency then they should get rid of the game's artificial delays, because even the fastest games of DG are less responsive than Warcraft 3 games.

October 23, 2009 4:17:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
Sorry, but I played Starcraft fine on dialup a decade ago. My roommate and I played Warcraft 3 fine over a split 56k connection. It's not the players' fault, it's the game's.

If P2P is supposed to cut down on latency then they should get rid of the game's artificial delays, because even the fastest games of DG are less responsive than Warcraft 3 games.

I have to agree the responsiveness is deifnatly lacking... ALOT. 

Starcraft and warcraft 3 have higher latency delays than Demigod should, hench Blizzard doing so much for Bnet 2.0.  Also remember the graphical diffenence and what/how much data is being transfered between players. 

October 24, 2009 3:21:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote]Starcraft and warcraft 3 have higher latency delays than Demigod should, hench Blizzard doing so much for Bnet 2.0.  Also remember the graphical diffenence and what/how much data is being transfered between players. [/qoute]I don't see how graphics would make a difference connection-wise. Also I don't understand why DG would have to transfer more total data given there's a smaller quantity of units at any given time.

The only way I could see those limitations really impacting performance is if the map system requires some overly complex positioning data since supposedly the maps are 3v3 models instead of 2d platforms.

October 26, 2009 12:08:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,

You're aware of how Battle.net works, correct? And how it often doesn't work well for Non-US gamers on slower end connections due to it's structure? Starcraft on 1.5mb connection in Australia still, quite often, dips into yellow ping even when playing against other Australians.

October 26, 2009 12:16:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
You're aware of how Battle.net works, correct? And how it often doesn't work well for Non-US gamers on slower end connections due to it's structure? Starcraft on 1.5mb connection in Australia still, quite often, dips into yellow ping even when playing against other Australians.
That's a purely regional anecdote. You and I both know that the connections to the US from Australia are lacking and that b.net doesn't have a true oceanic server. I played with plenty of people from Singapore and Korea and it worked fine.

I can't even play with aussies on DG with any reliability, the benefits of the P2P architecture are confined solely to Aus vs. Aus games, from what I can tell, which isn't particularly compelling. Even if this game had been put on GPG you could still use Hamachi or something along those lines.

October 26, 2009 2:02:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My point was that P2P helps every Non-US gamer play the game, where as centralised network services like Battle.net more often than not exclude them unless they have localised servers for the regions that play them. Fire up Starcraft II on Battle.net 2 when the time comes; I'll be interested to see how it works then.

October 26, 2009 2:41:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
My point was that P2P helps every Non-US gamer play the game, where as centralised network services like Battle.net more often than not exclude them unless they have localised servers for the regions that play them.
That's why SC was such an unfathomably large hit in Korea? That's why I used to practice my German and Korean via starcraft/WCIII?

B.net works fine for the vast majority of regions. Of course there's room for improvement, but in my experience (yes, I did play SC briefly while I was in Germany), excludingNZ/Aus, it offered a better gaming experience than P2P has thus far in Demigod.

It's seriously just you man. You have so few channels running from NZ to the US, you get stuck running where, skirting mainland China and going up through the Straits of Gibraltar? That's not a b.net issue and it's not fixed over P2P, as evidenced by the fact that most Aussies can't even play with non-AUS/NZ players with any reliability.

October 26, 2009 11:04:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm I have played a number of games with no issue, with AUS gamers.  And I am located in eastern US.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.