The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Janook's Rook Build

Hybrid Hammer + Towers

By on October 18, 2009 1:17:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GM-Janook

Join Date 09/2009
+2

Hello DG community.  This is my first post.

I've been messing around with different rook builds and have found one that has been pretty successful even against strong PM teams.  I'll just jump into it.

This rook rely's on having strong, aware teammates to teleport to his towers should he get ganked.  With a poor team, this rook will die over and over and over again.  It is IMPOSSIBLE for this Rook to push without good teammates.

Skill progression:

1 - Tower

2 - Hammer

3- Save

4 - Tower, Hammer

5 - Boulder

6 - Save

7  - Tower, Hammer  

8 - Save

9 - Save

10 - Tower, Hammer, Boulder

11 - Arrows

12 - Tower of Light

13 - Trebuchet

14 - Save

15 - Hammer, Poisoned Arrows

16-20 Stats

Favor Item: Staff of Renewal.  This will let you slam your hammer 2-3 times during confrontations instead of 1-2, not to mention get your tower forests up 20% faster.  I would never ever choose anything over this favor item.  Not blood, not tele ammy, nothing.  This is a massive power boost.

Starting equipment:

Banded Armor

+550 Mana Helm

Nimoth (From here on out you should start carrying Sigils)

Plenor Battlecrown

Unbreakable boots

+550 Mana Helm ->Vlemish

Banded Armor -> Hauberk of Life

That's it.  Cheap stuff.  You should have an abundance of money later on in the game, invest heavily in citadel upgrades.
Always carry Sigils and at least 2 teleport scrolls.  Locks as needed.

Explanations of the stats:

Why only level 2 boulder and not level 3?

Level 2 boulder stuns for 2 seconds.  Hammer takes 1.5 seconds to cast.  The extra .5 seconds are to allow you to inch closer in case the enemy has moved out of range. Half a second is all you need.  I do not think that the extra time given by ANOTHER level in boulder justifies the mana it requires, not to mention a skill point.

No god strength?

Nope.  I prefer the ranged power of his shoulder upgrades.  It will allow you to chase down fleeing demigods.  Also,  they give marginal damage boosts to your towers of light.
Additionally, I have found that god strength is not what allows you to kill entire creep waves in 1 hit.  You seem to gain this abiliity at level 8 (or 9?) no matter what. 
Lastly, the lvl 15 skill, poisoned arrows, is wonderful.  Demigods stunned by your hammer, hit by your arrows, aint going nowhere.

Wait, really, no god strength? Stats instead?

Yes. The stat boosts will give you the mana you need to maintain the front end of the battle.  Also, the health boost will allow you to last longer.  Remember that the longer the battle, the more powerful the rook, as you will get your hammer off more often. 

Equipment explained

Okay, so, you are REALLY weak early on.  Until you get those two mana helms, plenor and vlemish, you will not be able to sustain any battle for very long.  The early equipment is meant to help you stay in the field longer.  It will not allow you to take on DG's, just a hold a flag.  The equipment is geared towards a defensive style early on and an aggressive style later.  The tow mana helms, plus stat boosts, will allow you to spam tower, hammer, and boulder to your hearts content.

Strategy

As stated, you are very weak early on.  Focus on protecting towers and leveling up. You are very slow.  Do not venture out, do not risk getting ganked.  A poorly played rook is a ridiculously easy target early on because he will not be able to run away.  So play it safe.

Your skills are especially weak early on.  Those 2 puny towers and that 500dmg hammer isn't scaring anyone.  Level 4 is better, you should now be able to hold a flag, as long as your mana lasts.  Level 7? Now you're a beast.  You have a strong hammer, strong towers, and a stun.  If you have the mana equipment, you will be able to hold a flag against two demigods. (As long as your forset is already up!)

The key thing is to play very safe.  Do not ever go after deep flags unless a teammate is with you. You will get ganked, you will die.  You are rook. You cannot run.  If you engage an enemy, you're in it for the long haul.  Fortunately, your allies can teleport to your towers.

How to fight

Firstly, do not engage demigods unless you have some towers up.  This is the biggest mistake I see rooks making.  Think of your towers as oxygen.  You need them to live.  Everywhere you go, you put up towers, and keep walking. This will prevent a DG from chasing you down. 

The boulder roll + hammer must be mastered.  I cannot tell you how to do it, just practice.  The easiest way is to click boulder, click on the enemy demigod, then about halfway through the boulder cast time, click hammer and click on the demigod. This will allow hammer to cast as soon as boulder casts.  This is especially important before you get level 2 boulder, as the stun time for boulder 1 is EQUAL to the cast time of hammer.  You have more lee-way when you get level 2 boulder.

The best time to do a boulder+hammer is when the enemy DG is in the middle of your towers.  This will stun the DG in the "kill zone", allowing the most towers to inflict the most damage. 

Remember that a good DG is EXPECTING a boulder+hammer combo.  Mix it up.  I sometimes start with a fake hammer just to make him use a stun or shield or whatever. 

Also remember that your boulder stun has MASSIVE range.  You can help allies from very far away with this.

Well, that's it.  I tried to be thorugh but all this typing abpit Rook has made me want to play some Rook.  See ya in-game.

Comments welcome, and thank you for reading.

Locked Post 33 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 18, 2009 2:08:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a pretty mana-intensive build. Do you ever run into mana issues?

Not a bad build, overall. Poisoned arrows are really great, I just never get to level 15 in most games. It'd be nice if we could get it at level 10.

October 18, 2009 5:32:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think I had seen this build almost exactly this, except the main difference was the choice of God's Strength, and the reason the build said to get it was to kill waves. It is now known that God's Strength does not add the creep flying effect so I have to agree it isn't good to get, unless you have people who really love to get into a melee contest in your towers without running.

October 18, 2009 5:51:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Played a few games against Janook with some good teammates with a good team on my own. Have to say it is pretty good, and the choice NOT to get Arrows is actually very smart (I was actually thinking this last night, trying to figure out his build when I realized he didn't have any arrows).

Regarding God Strength, it happens whenever Rook hits 300 Weapon Damage (maybe 350). This happens naturally with time, or getting a few points in Stats, or even buying the Gloves of Brutality early and selling it again later. God Strength just guarentees this number at level 5.

Agree with the Staff of Renewel and lack of Arrows (early levels), as well as getting points in Stats and not getting God Strength.

I think how demigods would match up with this build, having seen it twice:

Very strong against a Sedna. Burst is larger than heals, and the Stun is killer. (Believe me, I can't remember the last time I died more than 5 times in a game. Esp 10 times. Embarrasing It's extremely uncommon and while pugging, my team has been down 20 deaths and I STILL only died a few times. This build will eat Sedna alive where I typically dont' have an issue with Aggro rook builds).

Beast might have the dps to kill you before your opponents can teleport in, even if you have a sigil. You were a very low-hp build for a Rook, and it doesn't take a lot of time to kill you. You've a MAD sort of build, 'if you come to screw with me, you'll die. I'll die too, but whatever'.

Oak might be tougher for you, because of the shield as well as the nice burst and the nice buffs he gives to friendles

Don't see you having any troubles with Reg, long range stun and a tower farm is enough to keep him from kiting while still scaring him into coming close. 

Erebus... minion might be more of a trouble for this build. Assassin not so much unless they are getting some points in Charm (which they should, after they see your build).

Queen tends to push a Rook around. I imagine that would still be the case here. Your stun and burst hammer might be enough to kill her though.

Not sure about TB. Deep Frost on your towers could be an issue.

--

Fighting this sort of build (not sure if my advice is the best, since we lost, but whatever D:)

Anyway, this build is DESIGNED for large 3v3 contests, and can only handle 1v1 if your forest is up (as it should be). Countering this build, I say is just leaving him alone. Normally, fighting in a Rook's farm is a bad idea anyway, esp if his team ports in all the time. Let him push, and attack the other side of the map. Also, don't bunch up,it's a very bad thing. Always be aware of the bolder roll. Watch for the tele-boulder roll and have either a Silence queued up for when he comes(Sed), a Mass Charm in cast for the last half second, or mining his teleport location. Preventing him from getting the Boulder-Roll - Slam is essential and if you can stun lock him if he teleports in and then kill him before he can get it off should ensure victory.

This probably requires a very well coordinated and aware team on Vent, however.

October 18, 2009 9:48:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not getting Arrows:O??

You do know ofc that your shoulders prollty do more damage than of your aa/towers combined. Its damage is MASSIVE especially with Tower of light buffing it up.

October 18, 2009 10:00:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
Not getting Arrows:O??

You do know ofc that your shoulders prollty do more damage than of your aa/towers combined. Its damage is MASSIVE especially with Tower of light buffing it up.

12 arrows a second, 10 damage MITIGATED. This comes out to about 80-90 damage per second early-game 60-80 mid-game, assuming ALL the arrows are trained on your opponent (and it won't always be that way). This is nice, sure, don't get me wrong.

But it's still only worth roughly one more tower in your farm and the only time I've found Rook's arrows to be 'useful' is when chasing down a running demigod. If you're the one doing this, and the kill is dependent on you keeping up with your prey, which means that you have bought at least one speed item which means you have less mana or health which means...

No. Let your teammates do the chasing and killing for you. This is a team game, stop worrying about the g'damn kill count.

Arrows are a way of giving Rook a little bit of range to compensate for his lack of speed. He shouldn't be worrying about that, he should be capitalizing on what he does best: long ranged stuns, massive nukes, and towers. Not chasing demigods for kills (or even AutoAttacking at all). I think Janook made the better choice here.

October 18, 2009 3:33:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This build is really good; I just tried it. Having a 2.1k nuke AND 8 towers at level 10 is incredible. I think it just replaced my own Rook build. Great post!

October 18, 2009 4:08:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Funny, I actually posted this exact build, skill for skill about two months ago. Two changes I made to it after playing it:

1) Don't get Tower 4 at rank level 10. By this point, your towers are really losing their effectiveness in combat.  Instead get Archer tower at level 8, and tower of light at level 11

2) Staff of Renewal is probably not as good as Blood of the Fallen.  After the stars left my eyes from the build, and I got down to it, I realized that I was horribly easy to gank levels 1 through 4, and that good players realize this when they see a rook with less than 3k health. So I switched back to the blood.

Note that I also make good use of rejuv potions in this build.

October 18, 2009 4:21:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for all the feedback.

Epiphenomenon: Glad you like it! This is indeed pretty mana intensive.  But, the mana provided by the two mana helms and unbreakable boots is more than enough to last through an encounter with a DG.  This means you may have to go back to your crystal to refill after any serious encounters.  I have not found this to be a problem: The enemy DG is going back to his crystal too to go heal, he's sore from your hammer slams.

Also, conserving mana is the reason we stay with boulder roll level 2, not 3.  Sometimes, if the enemy isn't any good at avoiding slams, I don't even upgrade to level 2, I stick with level 1.  That's a pretty big mana savior. 

If the game lasts long enough to justify stat boosts, you'll be swimming in mana.

I am stll really on the fene on getting God Strength or Arrows.  Every game I have to decide and I never can.  It depends mostly on how the enemy DGs are playing.  If we are exchanging blows, I will get god strength.  But if I'm not meleeing too much, I'll get arrows.  It's a tough decision every time.

Lifekatana: Getting a point in arrows means not putting a point into towers or slam.  Slam definitely does more damage.  And the benefit of towers is beind able to dish damage and stand back.  Towers keep rook safe.  Using arrows to deal damage instead means putting rook at risk.  That's why I prefer towers over arrows.

Hedgie: Thanks for the info on god's strength, that clears things up.  But I disagree with some of your analysis of opponents.

Firstly, yes, this is a low HP rook.  My biggest fear is an HP stacking UB.  Unless I have a FULL forest up, the UB can tank 2 hammers and eat me alive.  The only real counter is to move back and let teammates port in to the towers for a gank. 

I disagree about being weak against minion builds.  In fact, I found this build to be particularly effective against a minion erebus, especially if he's using horn of battle.  One hammer slam at lvl 7 is able to kill all of his minions in one hit, no chance for regen.  This allows towers to focus on erebus.

Regulus can be an issue.  His mines and range slowly push my towers back faster than I can put them up.  And a good Regulus isn't going to let me get close enough to stun and hammer him.  Even if I'm careful about where to put my towers, spacing them out, his mines tend to hit a bunch at a time.  On the plus side, it can take a while, and all this time I am farming creeps and holding a flag.

Other than those, there is no build I've encountered that I haven't been able to hold a flag against.

October 18, 2009 4:32:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Remember when we played on crucible Janook and my rook was 8-0 until my teammate went afk against your rook?

October 18, 2009 4:52:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cowbuttzex,
Remember when we played on crucible Janook and my rook was 8-0 until my teammate went afk against your rook?

Yes.  I was using a different build.

October 18, 2009 5:21:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) Don't get Tower 4 at rank level 10. By this point, your towers are really losing their effectiveness in combat. Instead get Archer tower at level 8, and tower of light at level 11

I thought about this, but Tower 4 halves the mana cost of your towers. That alone is probably worth it. It really is hard to keep 8 towers up, though.

I will have to say that BotF or the teleport amulet is never a bad choice for Rook.

October 18, 2009 5:27:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But at level 10, you have much less chance to actually set UP a tower farm. Later on in the game, you do a lot more teleporting to key locations like portal flags, etc.  The game becomes too dynamic to rely on towers, whereas having tower of light should mount one level earlier is always going to be more beneficial.  Also, you are noticeably stronger at level 8 because you spent a point on archers, and didn't save it.

October 18, 2009 5:56:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

interesting build. I might try it out some time.

Setting up a tower farm at level 10 is indeed not as useful as it is at level 7, unless (yes there is an 'unless', imo) you do it at the enemy portal. However, if you get the chance to do that and your enemys cant counter that you were probably going to win anyway.

and because the mana costs are down, you can keep getting more and more towers and you dont run out of mana. and with staff of renewal you can make a tower farm pretty quick. altogether I'd say power of tower 4 is worth it.

October 18, 2009 7:19:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
Funny, I actually posted this exact build, skill for skill about two months ago. Two changes I made to it after playing it:

1) Don't get Tower 4 at rank level 10. By this point, your towers are really losing their effectiveness in combat.  Instead get Archer tower at level 8, and tower of light at level 11

2) Staff of Renewal is probably not as good as Blood of the Fallen.  After the stars left my eyes from the build, and I got down to it, I realized that I was horribly easy to gank levels 1 through 4, and that good players realize this when they see a rook with less than 3k health. So I switched back to the blood.

Note that I also make good use of rejuv potions in this build.

Didn't mean to build-steal.  Sorry

Interesting tips.  It is true that I am rarely able to have 8 full towers up later in the game.  I used to think it was worth it anyways to get Tower 4 because of the incresed damage and reduced mana cost. 

I think if you swap Staff of Renewal out for Blood, then you'd also have to not get Tower 4.  The purpose of the Staff really is to get your forest up ASAP.  So, I can see how Blood, without Towers, is a good combo.  I'll try it.

October 18, 2009 7:22:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I get the 4th level of tower simply for the price reduction.  With the staff of renewal, it's pretty huge.

My main concern with your build is just how exposed you are early.  Any rook needs good teammates ready to tele over to survive, but I'm not sure yours can do the lane domination that an early rook needs to supply.  

October 18, 2009 7:31:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can't dominate a lane early.

I usually sit by a tower, defending it until about level 5.

After level 5, and 1 shop, you will have the skills and mana needed to at least push back and take a lane, at least temporarily.  By the time you have to go back and shop again, you will be level 7.

Once you are level 7, any lane you want is yours.

October 18, 2009 9:16:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ANY LANE YOU WANT IT THATS THE WAY YOU NEED IT ANY LANE YOU WANT IT!

October 18, 2009 9:49:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hedgie: Thanks for the info on god's strength, that clears things up.  But I disagree with some of your analysis of opponents.

Firstly, yes, this is a low HP rook.  My biggest fear is an HP stacking UB.  Unless I have a FULL forest up, the UB can tank 2 hammers and eat me alive.  The only real counter is to move back and let teammates port in to the towers for a gank. 

I disagree about being weak against minion builds.  In fact, I found this build to be particularly effective against a minion erebus, especially if he's using horn of battle.  One hammer slam at lvl 7 is able to kill all of his minions in one hit, no chance for regen.  This allows towers to focus on erebus.

Regulus can be an issue.  His mines and range slowly push my towers back faster than I can put them up.  And a good Regulus isn't going to let me get close enough to stun and hammer him.  Even if I'm careful about where to put my towers, spacing them out, his mines tend to hit a bunch at a time.  On the plus side, it can take a while, and all this time I am farming creeps and holding a flag.

Other than those, there is no build I've encountered that I haven't been able to hold a flag against.

With a 'pro' Regulus, spamming mines and kiting the towers (with level 1 wings popped to AoE the minions and if you stack towers together), he typically runs out of mana about the same time he kills your last tower, so he can't finish the job. 1 or 2 other demigods port over, then finish it. This doesn't mean you're weak against Regulus, you just can't take the upcoming gank once he gets your towers down. Which is something that you said: towers are oxygen.

Regulus is a counter to your towers: not you.

I was thinking about horn of battle minions being nuked with the slam, you're right. Possibly a bat-swarm-mass charm-bite could drop your HP quick but then after 3 seconds when you came back... a good Erebus would probably mist, I guess, forcing you to waste your hammer slam on your minions and only have a Boulder Roll left for Erebus. This is assuming mid game, when you have plenty of time to get 4 towers up but not a full forest. Not sure.

Plus, you're Rook: holding a flag is what you do, saying your build is good at that is truism. But can you push a flag against many builds...? Slow and steady tower creeping tends to work, esp if you have a corner tower still.

October 19, 2009 6:31:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As many may know, I'm a fervent pure aggro Rook player. I find this thread very interesting and I'll give this build a try.

A few comments:

- with Staff of Renewal, I guess taking Towers 4 is really interessant for the 50% mana reduction. With BotF, it's arguable.

- I cannot understand the choice of not taking Boulder Roll 3 (especially over Stats). Seconds of stun are so precious, and not only for Hammer, but also for helping mates to flee and gank. +0,5 sec & +100 damages for 264 mana, definitely worth it imo. Same logic for Boulder Roll 2, even if you play against bad players, it can and will make the difference sometimes.

- I often see people criticizing God Strenght, saying Rook is slow, low attack speed etc. Don't forget this game rely heavily on AA and God Strenght is +50 Weapon Damage, which is huge comparing to items and other abilities of the same type (Oak's Soul Power for instance). It's a very good ability, not as much in this build than in mine but I would always choose God Strenght over Stats.

- In a word and imho, Stats are a bad choice except if you have nothing else to choose (see my topic -> https://forums.demigodthegame.com/364213 ). You should take God Strenght after level 15, even if it won't probably make any big difference at that point of the game. "If the game lasts long enough to justify stat boosts, you'll be swimming in mana" *hemhem* 3 levels of stats = +315 Mana & + 0,96 MPS, more kind of a sink rather than a swimming-pool ^^

October 20, 2009 2:33:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought about trying a build similar to this, but I don't see where you have the mana to use all your skills effectively.  You don't get that much out of towers if you have to save several hundred mana for roll+slam.

October 20, 2009 7:12:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Indeed never EVER takes stats in a serious game. Cept if there are really no other choices.

I'm beginning to see the effectiveness here, but I thinks budgies calculations are off;

With just arrows you get an extra unmitigated 60 dps, so say 40 dps but with the tower you get another 134 dps, so together 194 dps. THIS IS HUGE. Yes they wont fire all at the same target, but they are very powerfull and they cost no mana. Yes they are mitigated, but thats still around 120 dps. AND its ranged meaning you'll be able to attack a lot more than with auto attack.

Drop towers 4, or push it to later levels, those towers arent that usefull later on(although less mana is usefull, so maybe get them 11-12) and drop Boulder II. It only adds .5 seconds for more mana and it is not needed for a succesfull hammerslam. Get Arrows and ToL instead. You lose on an extra .5 sec stun and a little less mana for your towers, but you gain an immense amount of dps. 

That said, im gonna play this!

October 20, 2009 7:41:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
and drop Boulder II. It only adds .5 seconds for more mana and it is not needed for a succesfull hammerslam. Get Arrows and ToL instead. You lose on an extra .5 sec stun

except when you have teammates that stun for you, this 0.5 sec ARE needed against good palyers! oh, if you have a game going with a latency of nearly 300ms then you sometimes get lucky still getting your slam through.

October 20, 2009 7:45:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and drop Boulder II

That is really the last thing to do. Boulder Roll 1 cannot assure you a succefull Slam. And skilled players can Shield/Grasp/Peni etc. a Slam after most Boulder Roll 1 hit, just after stun.

October 20, 2009 8:01:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes, this 0.5 sec are even enough to run out of the center of the slam, or to cloack out of it no rly, without boulder 2 you will only have a chance against bad players or with your mates coodinating to stunn for you.

October 20, 2009 5:10:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can still slam under a Roll 1, but it is a lot harder, and definitely not sure fire. The .5 seconds is 33% longer stun, and yes it does make a large difference.

You will do significantly more Hammer damage over the course of the game with Roll 2 than Roll 1.  Roll 3 is less important, but still worth getting.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: