The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Recently read some stories about GS

By on October 16, 2009 9:19:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod ForumsExternal Link

An interesting video about computer repair scams, people trying to sound like computer geniouses, etc.

Also, look at related videos, theres dozens of news reports on computer repairs scams and best buy/geek squad fails in every single video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVCVcDVMIM

more douche bag tech support

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru7YASyMKwE&feature=related

0 Karma | 18 Replies
October 16, 2009 9:41:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Geeksquad and many other repair places are a ripoff.  The bix box places, due to their inept employees and standard rates, which are generally high.

The local stores are smart, but many of them are liars.  I honestly dont get why people cant deal with it themselves.  Programing and whatnot is one thing, but hardware is just so simple.

October 16, 2009 10:53:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting tperge,
Programing and whatnot is one thing, but hardware is just so simple.
Jumbo jets and military fighters are one thing, but single-engine turboprops are just so simple.

October 17, 2009 12:16:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Kitkun,

Quoting tperge,
reply 1
Programing and whatnot is one thing, but hardware is just so simple.Jumbo jets and military fighters are one thing, but single-engine turboprops are just so simple.

I love sarcasm.....

October 17, 2009 12:22:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's the lowest form of wit, according to people with no sense of humor

I just don't get how repair shops justify their godawful prices.  Even when they do good work, it's like 'wtf?'

Was always funny when I was on Dell jobs and got hard drive or CDrom replacement calls...like five-ten minutes of work, why the hell can't the enduser do it? 

October 17, 2009 10:39:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I honestly dont get why people cant deal with it themselves.

Was always funny when I was on Dell jobs and got hard drive or CDrom replacement calls...like five-ten minutes of work, why the hell can't the enduser do it?

"We have a service contract at a local college. I got a call one day from someone who said that their Mac IIsi was having a problem. Upon questioning him, he said that whenever he typed on the keyboard, the image on the monitor was shaking. All sorts of monitor problems ran through my mind. I asked him if it was only when he typed and he replied yes. Well, since it was a contract, I figured we'd better go see what was happening. My tech called me about ten minutes after arriving and reported that the problem was not the computer, but his desk. The desk vibrated every time he typed on his keyboard. I am still shaking my head on this one. The sad thing is that this guy has "Dr." in front of his name and is a professor at a major college.".....

"Many people have called to ask where the "any" key is on their keyboards when the "Press Any Key" message is displayed.".....

"Our last receptionist called me to complain that the keys on her new keyboard were hard to push. She asked me to install a program to "soften up her keyboard keys."".....

"I had a call from a customer who was complaining that when she typed, the wrong letters came up on the screen. After some investigation, I learned she had pried off all the letter key caps off her keyboard and rearranged them in alphabetical order. You'd think she'd have figured out the problem herself when her computer stopped working afterward.".....

and you want these people to fiddle around inside the machine?

October 17, 2009 11:18:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How about the guy who called Tech Support to report his Coffee Cup holder had broken and if he could get a replacement.

Yep, turns out he had been talking about the tray of his CD Drive, which he had figured was a retractable Coffee Cup holder...

October 17, 2009 11:48:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am a Friend of Foamy!

warning: language

October 17, 2009 1:08:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

October 17, 2009 1:48:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yeah i got f'd over by sony..........after owning a Viao for about two months the screen went out. When I went to get it fixed........at CompUSA I told them...........everything runs in the background.......its just the screen that displays a white screen. (Im not a computer genius......but Im sure if I can hear everything start up and run my programs without the screen....its not a harddrive issue) It takes them two weeks of "testing" and finally tell me..........oh its your screen........

I paid them fifty bucks to tell me what I already knew...That was my dumbass mistake. So they tell me once I order the new screen bring it in and theyll install it for  me.....................    yeah right.

I order the damn screen and installed it myself.......It does the same damn thing as the first screen. Obviously the idiots at CompUSA forgot to "test" the device that connects the screen itself and the hardware inside the laptop.

So in the end it was my dumbass mistake for paying to hear what I already knew.....and then my mistake for listening to their "advice" and paying 200 dollars to replace something that ended up not being the actual problem. YAY for me.

Then I get the run around by Sony...first they want me to send it in to them...but at that point im too pissed to agree to pay for the computer to be sent anywheres. then they want to send a tech out to my place.........(they could have mentioned this when i wanted to order the damn 200 dollar screen) come to find out he cant fix it and tells me to send it in..........not happening so at the end i find out because i opened up the computer (after being too frustrated to let some "Techie" touch my computer) i voided the warranty YAY again for me.

Last time I ever take my computer to anyone but the company that produces it.

October 18, 2009 12:16:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting zakai1369,
and you want these people to fiddle around inside the machine?

Yes.  God forbid anyone actually learn something about how computers work.

October 18, 2009 11:24:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Many people have called to ask where the "any" key is on their keyboards when the "Press Any Key" message is displayed.".....

Yeah, so where is it?  I've looked all over, high and low, whenever I got that message...

... could never find it so always pressed C (for continue) instead.

October 19, 2009 6:30:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting starkers,

Yeah, so where is it?  I've looked all over, high and low, whenever I got that message...

... could never find it so always pressed C (for continue) instead.

you better not be serious

October 19, 2009 9:37:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nah!  It was just a bit of tongue-in-cheek...

I know pressing C for continue doesn't work... yer gotta press C for carry on, tho pressing P for proceed works as well.

October 19, 2009 9:54:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am a Friend of Foamy!

The tech support for the company I work for is in India. They just love it when a redneck from the south calls. It's funny as hell when you have a double languge problem.

October 19, 2009 10:13:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,
I am a Friend of Foamy!

The tech support for the company I work for is in India. They just love it when a redneck from the south calls. It's funny as hell when you have a double languge problem.

Solution: Ask for someone from Southern India!

October 19, 2009 10:38:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

October 20, 2009 2:17:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting starkers,

Nah!  It was just a bit of tongue-in-cheek...

I know pressing C for continue doesn't work... yer gotta press C for carry on, tho pressing P for proceed works as well.

you fatass

October 20, 2009 8:25:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

you fatass

Now how did you glean that from my profile pic?? 

BTW, I DO get press any key.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.