The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

is there an ETA on the new heroes

By on October 12, 2009 12:19:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

title says it all, haven't been around for a bit, just wondering if there is an eta.

0 Karma | 26 Replies
October 12, 2009 1:12:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whoa, they're adding Heroes to this game on top of the Demigods? Haha, wow!

Seriously though, not really - we know they're being worked on, and we know they're nearing completing. They're not going to be included in patch 1.2, which will add offical modding tools, so they are most likely a few months away. I'd suspect they'll be a community Christmas Present of sorts, and we'll see them at the end of the year.

October 12, 2009 1:25:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You know.... its pretty sad to see demigod slowly fade away into nothing...and I thought these 2 demigods might revive it even for a little bit? it has had so much potential... but by the time 1.2 will come out will anyone even care...hopefully that won't be the case.

October 12, 2009 1:53:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wasn't aware Demigod was fading away into nothing - it works great on my computer. If you're experiencing some kind of strange fading effect, perhaps your Video Card is on the way out? I doubt it's something that will be fixed in 1.2, this is the first I've heard of this bug.

October 12, 2009 2:27:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.2 will probably be released later this week or next week.

Demigods probably in abou 2-4 weeks?

Those are just my plain guesses

October 12, 2009 3:07:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.2 will probably be released later this week or next week.

Demigods probably in abou 2-4 weeks?

Those are just my plain guesses

you are far off the mark. its more like 6-8 months away.

October 12, 2009 4:24:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw. if you want to actually "see" a little bit how the development of the Demigods goes forward you should check out Sorian's blog.

October 12, 2009 6:32:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
I wasn't aware Demigod was fading away into nothing - it works great on my computer. If you're experiencing some kind of strange fading effect, perhaps your Video Card is on the way out? I doubt it's something that will be fixed in 1.2, this is the first I've heard of this bug.

you are not aware of the smallest community a mp-game ever had? that it even gets smaller and smaller from week to week? that often you have only one or two open games? the lack of what every other mp-game has by default, the lack of a viable mp-infrastructure has already broke dg. no working stats, no working ladder, no working automatches, auto-balancing team-matches, the worst network-code i ever saw, dozens of bugs still present and known since beta or release.

and you really did not observed how it fades out? is this you first mp-online game that you think that is normal?

it really pisses me off that gpg was so damn stupid. presented a greate gameplay but programmed a shit without the most important mp-features.

October 12, 2009 7:50:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GPG isn't "stupid". GPG simply does not have the ressources to cater everything to perfection.

October 12, 2009 9:48:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

title says it all, haven't been around for a bit, just wondering if there is an eta.

Yes, 2 months after DG release... oh wait.

October 12, 2009 9:51:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the bad network code is not explained by less resources! its stupid programmed! you may explain the lack of many default features with too few resources even though a working ladder i could programm alone in a day. no really, there is no damn vaild excuses for that mess.

and the big stupidity lies not in the lack of the features and the bad net-code,.... no. it is the economic stupidity that you simply wasted all your efforts if you only sell half finsihed work. you get a too small community, too few customers and so it barely pays off if it even does. it is simply stupid. it would be better to do nothing than to invest money in a project that wont sell enough due to bad and unfinsihed work.

October 12, 2009 10:37:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the bad network code is not explained by less resources! its stupid programmed!
Err no, it's just a design decision, that was made long before someone at GPG even thought of Demigod. It has its advantages and disadvantages and I'd take the p2p environment over other environments any day.

even though a working ladder i could programm alone in a day
Well then go ahead . I don't think you'll accomplish that in a day though. The development time of PlayerTrack for Forged Alliance for example wasn't just one day either.

and the big stupidity lies not in the lack of the features and the bad net-code,.... no. it is the economic stupidity that you simply wasted all your efforts if you only sell half finsihed work. you get a too small community, too few customers and so it barely pays off if it even does. it is simply stupid. it would be better to do nothing than to invest money in a project that wont sell enough due to bad and unfinsihed work.
Originally, Demigod was only a small side project. It gradually became more awesome basically and at some point the decision was made, to put more resources in the production of Demigod and release it as a full game which is as fun and awesome game as we know it now.

You are basically saying that it would have been better if they didn't work on Demigod at all. You actually want us to deny all the fun that we had with Demigod. If they did that, you wouldn't have this pointless argument in the first place.

October 12, 2009 10:47:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

the bad network code is not explained by less resources! its stupid programmed!Err no, it's just a design decision, that was made long before someone at GPG even thought of Demigod. It has its advantages and disadvantages and I'd take the p2p environment over other environments any day.

dude, i am not talking about that it is p2p. this is the only GOOD thing about the network code! this was not a bad decision, it was the best thing they ahve done. the problems we all see has NOTHING to do with that. it's how they implemented it.

edit: just an example: the desync error we all knew. it is an easy thing to resync within seconds (if done right within a fraction of a second) when detected if the communication has been programmed intelligent.

I don't think you'll accomplish that in a day though. The development time of PlayerTrack for Forged Alliance for example wasn't just one day either.

you know there are many features you may add in. i just speak of the a working ladder not of all the extra data representation. here even the ladder calculation does not work right which is redicules easy stuff! believe it or not.

Demigod was only a small side project. It gradually became more awesome basically and at some point the decision was made, to put more resources in the production of Demigod and release it as a full game which is as fun and awesome game as we know it now.
You are basically saying that it would have been better if they didn't work on Demigod at all. You actually want us to deny all the fun that we had with Demigod. If they did that, you wouldn't have this pointless argument in the first place.

*sigh* you are very talented in twisting simple phrases all around. you should go into politics.

October 12, 2009 11:12:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

feel lucky if the new DGs arrive as a christmas-present

according to the lack of screenshots and Sorians Blog, it sounds like the release is still far away !

October 12, 2009 11:24:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

edit: just an example: the desync error we all knew. it is an easy thing to resync within seconds (if done right within a fraction of a second) when detected if the communication has been programmed intelligent.
No, resynchronisation is not an easy task. This has been mentioned numerous times.

you know there are many features you may add in. i just speak of the a working ladder not of all the extra data representation. here even the ladder calculation does not work right which is redicules easy stuff! believe it or not.
I was just encouraging you to do it. Go ahead .

*sigh* you are very talented in twisting simple phrases all around. you should go into politics.
Err, well I just wanted to point out why things are the way they are. Of course everyone would rather have that everything is perfect in and around Demigod. But the current situation of GPG or the game industry in general simply doesn't allow perfection. Unless you have virtually infinite ressources, which is only the case for Blizzard at the most.

October 12, 2009 11:26:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

according to the lack of screenshots and Sorians Blog, it sounds like the release is still far away !
Sorian is simply not allowed to release any screenshots. Neither of SupCom2 nor of Demigod. However, his recent blog posts show that apparently most or all of the artwork on the Demigods is already done and now they (or he in particular) are implementing, play testing and changing their abilities etc. Maybe they aren't that far away as I originally thought.

October 12, 2009 12:48:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

No, resynchronisation is not an easy task. This has been mentioned numerous times.

this does not make the statement more correct. actually i'm an expert in this matter by profession. of course you do not need to believe me. it wouldn't change anything no matter if you do or not.

ofcourse "easy" is highly dependend on what you consider to be the minimum skills of a developer. for my mome this won't be an easy task of course. beside of this it is a really reyll EASY thing to implement at least a very very simple sync feature that still resyncs in a second. no magic, no high level algorithmic knowledge required. but of course for the big mass of coming from html/php wanna be programmers its a magic overwork of the whole data since game start, so as they sort things in n^2 time.

edit: btw. your invitation is a primitv provocation. you know yourself that we all have things to do, a job or others. do i get payed for the work? do they even want me to do it? such statements are no invitations but simply a dumb try to provocate.

October 12, 2009 1:49:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,
edit: btw. your invitation is a primitv provocation. you know yourself that we all have things to do, a job or others. do i get payed for the work? do they even want me to do it? such statements are no invitations but simply a dumb try to provocate.
Exactly. Similarly the developers are assigned to other tasks as well (besides, the ranking system is done by Stardock, not GPG). And your posts are also nothing else but blunt provocations against Stardock and Gas Powered Games.

October 12, 2009 2:20:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no, in my case they maybe feeled like provocations, i admit that, but it is the expression of a disapointed customer that is really pissed off seeing such a great game ruined by so damn stupid mistaks that could have been easaly avoided.

you see the difference? its small, but it is one!

edit: and i know that the ladder stuff is made by SD. but as it is the least important think of the stuff i miss i didn't bothered to get into details with that. anyway, i never saw a ladder that ws so messed up like this one. and this holds now for.. a half year?

you say, they have also other things to do? indeed. if you release an unfinished produkt to few people buy it. hence to few money gets in. that's exactly the stupidness i mentioned above. if they had done it right we wouldn't talk about that now. i don't talk about bugs that allways occure. i talk about missing the most important features a mp-title needs on release! things ANY OTHER has even in beta. the BASE of any mp-game. to release an pl-game wihtout that is as if you release a first person shooter without guns!

releasing a mp-game without a working network code? its still more buggy than any other game i know (even other p2p games as most rts games are p2p based), wihtout automatching? wihtout team creation? wtf? how the hell could they expect to sell it enough to get in plus? if this is not stupid, what else?

October 12, 2009 2:34:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We already discussed that. Demigod was only a side project of GPG and it was later decided to put more development in it. It is based on an existing engine (Moho engine from Supreme Commander) and thus any deeper changes in the netcode would require more development time that may or may not pay off. And GPG definitely doesn't have the resources to put even more development time in it, especially nowadays.

Demigod has Automatching (which is done by ImpulseReactor, not by the game itself). The netcode is fine. It just still has some bugs that can cause desyncs. And recovering from desyncs is not enough, even if you did that, the bug in the code or simply the client that caused the desync, will simply cause it again. The important thing is to eliminate desyncs in the first place and not to try to recover from it somehow.

October 12, 2009 4:02:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought the Netcode stuff was handled by Impulse, unless you are playing LAN. Could be mistaken.

October 12, 2009 4:08:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He means the desynchronisation issues. The connection facilitation is done by ImpulseReactor, yes.

October 12, 2009 5:01:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

October 12, 2009 5:12:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't played a long time now and I actually asked the same question the thread starter did and the answer was no :/.

On a side note though, I really have no idea how the people who defend GPG and Stardock justify their arguments in their head.  Demigod is a retail game, not some community mod that could or could not get done on a normal schedule.  I cannot think of any multiplayer games that I have ever played that had a smaller community and so many issues with the game.

I think it's great that GPG is "working on it" but the fact of the matter is this: If GPG cared about supporting this game (and by cared I mean it makes them money in some way) the Demigods would be done by now.

Oh well, it's ok, I will just check back later and see if the DG community has magically grown to a sustainable size . (I had so much hope for this game too *sigh*)

October 13, 2009 9:31:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the question worth asking is, if the new demigods aren't coming in patch 1.2, what is the delay left for patch 1.2?

October 13, 2009 6:51:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

QA of the bug and glitch fixes, and I believe pathing was getting some attention, but don't quote me on that.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.