The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Ladder Experience/Rankings is too Harsh

By on October 10, 2009 10:56:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I won 5 games and lost 1 the other day. My experience rating went down...

I think everyone can pretty much agree points are lost too easily on the ladder (or maybe not enough gained by wins?). Im not sure how exactly the ELO ratings are worked out but I personally believe it needs revising.

Thoughts?

+26 Karma | 10 Replies
October 10, 2009 2:54:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

True, along with the fact that you can gain rank by bashing AI in pantheon, which basicly makes the ladder pointless.

October 10, 2009 3:15:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

they probably still don't work as intended, it would be much easier for us all if Stardock would be so kind to actually reveal how it is calculated, instead of just saying "some sort of Elo" but for some obscure reasons they don't do it, so we have no means of understanding whats going on.

October 10, 2009 5:52:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The experiance rating to me is worthless.  Just look at number of games played, and the win %.

October 11, 2009 1:29:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's funny that stats are "fixed" when the essential issue is that every player starts with a base 1000 xp.  I'm 30k + right now in rank because I play good players - winning ratio doesn't seem to matter, I'm still going to be lower in rank than the rankest noob who has a 1/3 w/l record.. It's a team game, start using team formulas to calc rank, please...

Not to mention that the beta overlay shows only 38% of my games this epoch...I've got 140+ games played and the overlay shows 54 of them?

October 11, 2009 1:04:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know how you feel. I think the algorithm needs to be revisited. My experience is like 700 and I win most games these days.

October 11, 2009 1:40:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad your aware of it

Too many players with 0 wins since the reset are highly ranked

October 11, 2009 5:38:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What I find incredibly annoying is how I can go and win 15 games in a row or so, and then lose 1 because someone drops at 3:30, and my ranking goes down.

October 12, 2009 12:31:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sarmis,
What I find incredibly annoying is how I can go and win 15 games in a row or so, and then lose 1 because someone drops at 3:30, and my ranking goes down.

No doubt the system is broken, but with your rank I'd expect exactly this to happen.  How often do you play against someone in the top 100?  If I had to guess, very rarely.  More likely, you are playing against people ranked in the 1000s.  I do not mean that as a criticism - just a statement of the reality of anyone ranked in the top 100.  I'm surprised you are still in the top 100 because you lost (because of the disconnect) to someone with a 34K ranking.  Any reasonable ranking system should have dropped you 1000s of positions and raised that person 1000s of positions.

And disconnects suck.  I haven't played a game with this many in game random disconnects (discounting rage quits) in a long time.

October 12, 2009 12:43:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just looking at my last 25 games, people I played:

Morpheas768 rank 5

primz rank 42

trousersnake rank 15

pacov rank 19

kalel rank 3

sakke rank 83

erskaconti rank 20

In that span, I have two losses, none to them, one of which my team won, both due to D/C. 

Note: tshughes and I played 2 2v2's vs Sakke and erskaconti and slaughtered them both times.  One shows up as an incomplete after one of them dropped after 11 minutes and the other conceded, the other we went all the way to destroy the citadel and that game doesn't show up at all.

October 12, 2009 4:59:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sarmis,
Just looking at my last 25 games, people I played:

I looked quickly so I may be wrong, but that amounts to playing people in the top 100 in 3 out of 25 games - so 12% of your games.  My point still stands, you should not be gaining ranks very quickly when the vast majority of your games are against people way under your rank.  Conversely, when you do lose, your rank should drop quickly because of the level disparity.  That's at least how the ELOS rankings work.  If the number 8 guy in the world plays 50 matches against people ranked 1000 - 2000, he is not going to move up the ladder.  If he loses one of the games, he is going to fall far.

Basically, the ELOS system sets up a big disincentive to play people with ranks much lower than you.  You have nothing to gain and everything to lose. That's not necessarily a bad thing because there is an incentive to play people within your skill level.

Also, I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong Sarmis.  We get games where we can because of the bad matchmaking that we have.  All we have are custom games so the higher the rank you are, the more difficult it will be to get a game that will boost your rank.  I'm just not surprised that you played 15 games without increase in rank when one lose pushed you down.  That's what it should be like.  Where I am surprised are all the people that are in the 30K+ rank that have 50%+ win rates.  Something is truly messed up with those stats.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.