The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Im Starting To Hate Stats..

By on October 8, 2009 5:19:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont know if I liked it before when stats were 100% fucked, and so no one actually cared about them at all or if they are working well - now.

Too many people these days are playing purely for the stats. When I started playing Demigod again I pretty much played to get my stats up, but now I dont care. The less people care about the stats, the more games people will play, and the less they will care about who they are vs and who they are with - and whether they win or lose.

Tbh I wish I could just turn my stats off and play with noobs/agaisnt pro's, but I cant, because if I do it effects my win% and thats how people judge how good you are.

Anyone else here starting to get fed up with stats?

+26 Karma | 34 Replies
October 8, 2009 6:01:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i feel exactly the same mate !

often people got kicked out of  a lobby because of the stats , nobody wants to have a noob as teammate ? but how do you wanna get new players when everyone kicks them out of the lobby `? and me too , my stats are not very good and often when i join people leave and I think its because of my stats ...

they just suck

October 8, 2009 6:53:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats for sure the most reason for beeing kicked out of the lobby... more than a bad ping ^^. I like my stats, but I don´t like to look at the stats to others during a game or in the lobby. I only hope, it will be a funny game and no one leaves a running game because of 3vs0 kills or the like.

Greets Tenbian

October 8, 2009 6:58:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How much harder is it to get a pantheon game going, and ohw many people drop out during loading?

October 8, 2009 7:39:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyone else here starting to get fed up with stats?

rankings are dumb. u lose way to much xp from losing to the highest ranked players.

and people who havent played after reset are better ranked than most people.

October 8, 2009 8:27:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like playing against skilled players. whenever I don't check stats prior to a match my game experience is boring and frustrating. There are noob games up all the time... if not make one.

October 8, 2009 8:35:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stats are useful and important so that auotmatch can match players of equal skill and therefore everyone has a good time.  But of course, Automatch is completely f*cked so yes, there's not much point.

October 8, 2009 8:41:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is no Automatch. Pantheon doesnt count

rankings are dumb. u lose way to much xp from losing to the highest ranked players.

and people who havent played after reset are better ranked than most people.

Agreed.

I remember beating a premade that was top 50 or so and then losing agaisnt them next match. Overall I lost experience.

And the worst part is that there are a lot of players that have maybe 50% win but are a lot better than the people with 70% win...because they dont play in premade/dont mind playing with nubs.

October 8, 2009 8:50:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree, the stats are pretty much totally meaningless at this point, and ranking especially. I play about 50% pure PUG and 50% with my brother (though most of those are 3v3), so I hardly ever play full-on premade, and as such, I feel pretty good about my slightly >50% win (though I wouldn't call myself an awesome player at all, probably closer to average). I have had a fair amount of PUG games where we beat a PUG stomper group who are all ranked much higher and have an amazing win% when my team was all around the level I was. I think that while there are some awesome players who are top ranked and deserve their win%, but I also think that there is a large pool of pretty skilled players with a 40-60% win rate due to playing a majority of PUG games, and their rankings all suck. Right now, kicking based off of win% or rank is not justified as it is often times not a good reflection of skill... though perhaps kicks based on number of games played is. But even then, the new beta overlay is showing an odd number for games played.

October 8, 2009 12:52:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ranks have always ment nothing to me. I have been ranked top 30 since reset but now I will forever reside in 30k's again for loosing 5 straight games. Have I truely changed that drastically to deserve a 30K ranking? no! I base a player on games played and % win and fuck the ladder.

October 8, 2009 1:08:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cowbuttzex,
I base a player on games played and % win...

Then you may be excluding perfectly good players who choose to play PUGs more often than not, and have a low %win as a consequence.  Just go by games played.  If they've got a few hundred, they've been around long enough to be experienced and know what they're doing.

October 8, 2009 1:44:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if your win % win is below 40... That tends to mean you suck, but I usually give the 30% if they insist on playing than I let them prove themselves and gain my respect.

October 8, 2009 2:26:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Win % is horribly skewed.  Go check one of those top 20 players games-list, where they all have the same game name, and play with the same two people all the time. It isn't evil to play with your friends, but it is interesting to see that most games end up with 3 players who have 70+ win percentage, against a team with 15 to 30% win percentage... except for the few that they lose.

I'm really starting to think there is an interesting pyschological experiment to be had here.

October 8, 2009 3:46:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stats are imperfect but they are the best measure of a person's skill that we have.  For me, I look at the win percentage.  If they have a 50%+ win rating and a reasonable number of games under their belt, then they are okay by me.  If they are below that, then I look at the win percentage of everyone playing.  If the teams looked balanced, then I will hang around.  If not, I will go find another game.  I do not want to sit through game after game of people feeding the other side.

And it should not be hard to get a positive win record with the new overlay coming out.  No more being misled about whether the team you are playing is a premade or a 90%+ win rate team.

October 8, 2009 4:24:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I always look at total games played... I have the naive belief that if you've played the game 700 times you'll generally be better than the guy playing their 50th game.  Most low win % are puggers so the % indicates nothing about their overall skill IMO. 

October 8, 2009 7:46:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There should be a section a bit like League of legend.

For those you do not know, there is a Practice section (win / lost are not counted ) only leavers.

And there is a section for the ranked /stats.

Im only throwing this out of no-where but maybe doing 2 separate custom game could solve this.

Should not be too costy, they just need to copy /paste they code and add 1 button names Custom Game (unranked)

Only thing that change in the code is the stats tracking. (set to disabled)

They have remove already the skirmish button. so I guess re-adding another Button like Custom Game (unranked) wont be costy.

So with this new can play with pro and play mixed because if the PRO lose, stats are not gona be toutched.

Bottom line, People who their stats are important  can play in the ranked custom game and have some real challenge there.

And the other one just wanting a great a peacefull time / practicing / testing stuff, the Custom Games (unranked)

Sorry for my bad english I had verry little time to correct my grammar.

October 8, 2009 8:14:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are a lot of things they should do like League of Legends.

But the trick here is that ranked games can only be automatched.  That way you gaurantee that people of nearly equal skill are playing eachother, thus giving the win/loss percentage some actual meaning.  This is how it works in almost every game with some sort of ranked stat tracking.  Using custom games to determine rankings is practically unheard of.

But see my previous comment about Automatch in Demigod being totally screwed up.  1) With the insistence of AIs, and 2) The light side/dark side division severely hampering the speed at which matches can be made.

And it's not going to get any better because instead of making a more robust automatch system, the are investing in adding features to the custom games?  I really don't understand...

October 9, 2009 1:05:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Wagnard,

They have remove already the skirmish button. so I guess re-adding another Button like Custom Game (unranked) wont be costy.

The community is not large enough to support this.  And really, why are we obsessing about rank?  It's pretty meaningless when the #1 player got there by dodging live opponents to play AI.

October 9, 2009 2:42:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting joe_the_dragon,
But the trick here is that ranked games can only be automatched.  That way you gaurantee that people of nearly equal skill are playing eachother, thus giving the win/loss percentage some actual meaning.  This is how it works in almost every game with some sort of ranked stat tracking.  Using custom games to determine rankings is practically unheard of.

Good idea and makes perfect sense.  A person who is able to win most of his games as a pugger is definitely skilled, while a person who wins most of his games in premades more than likely has inflated stats.

They could possibly give you two different stats; ranked pantheon stats and custom team stats based on who you play with.  It would allow premades to have their own ladder that could more competitively rank them against other premades, and allow individual players and puggers to have their own ranks.

October 9, 2009 2:46:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

AoK CCG, CnC3, KW, RA3, BFME II. How is using custom games for rankings unheard of? lol...

October 9, 2009 5:06:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Or we can simply maybe not share everyone stats.

For example League of Legend only tells about the win and leave (leaver hehe) when seeing other players stats.

Of course, we can see the full stats of OUR character.

So what could be great is disable the online web page stats and only show the partial stats im telling you above in the connection info that is comming this week ?

October 10, 2009 11:56:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

AoK CCG, CnC3, KW, RA3, BFME II. How is using custom games for rankings unheard of? lol...

Heh, well they're all dumb.  I mean seriously, win/loss records don't mean much unless the matchups are controlled by some logical method.  But the main point is that stats should be used to create even mathups, this way everybody has the most fun.  The problem with Demigod is 1) stats seem to be busted.  2) automatch is a joke.

October 10, 2009 6:01:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stats, as in Number of games, and win% are usefull, so os the familiarity %.

I will play with anyone if the teams seem to be balanced.  BUT it seems to me, premades especial, want to stack their team with people who have 80% win rates and play agianst people with 10% win rates. 

Since the overlay I have avoided countless pug stomps.  Its to the point of silliness.  There are so many premades who only want to pug stomp, and that give all premades a bad name.  Additionaly there are many random pugs who try to stack one side so it is a stomp.

To their credit (cant think of their names now) there are some who want an honest game, and I have had some good matches agianst those premade teams.

October 10, 2009 10:23:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since the overlay I have avoided countless pug stomps. Its to the point of silliness. There are so many premades who only want to pug stomp, and that give all premades a bad name. Additionaly there are many random pugs who try to stack one side so it is a stomp.

1 - I'm really glad to see someone write "random pugs who try to stack one side so it is a stomp."  All too often its just a generic comment about premades doing nothing but trying to stomp some pugs.  I'm glad to hear someone that generally pugs recognize that pugs show this behavior as well. 

2 - I'm pretty sure EVERYONE here has been in a game that could be considered by some to be PUG stomping (whether you are in premade or a pugger).  Here's a crystal clear example where tperge, after the overlay beta was released, played in a PUG stomp where the odds where stacked substantially in his favor - http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1014272/player/43878/.  Here's another http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1014304/player/43878/.  Both are examples from Oct 9th.  Sounds like I'm busting chops here, right?  I'll add that I'd bet that he doesn't typically play in PUG stomps and more often than not, plays in games against good opponents.  Nevertheless, 2 examples of PUG stomping from a day ago.  I dare say that sometimes people don't check stats or care to balance the teams because they just want to get a game in.  And I honestly don't have a problem with that at all.  Once the official overlay goes live, even new players should quickly learn that they might want to avoid >80% win rate players that are all on the same team.  If it helps PUG players avoid matchups againsts teams and get more balanced games in, I'm all for it and I'm glad the official version of the overlay will go live soon.  Anyone know of a specific premade that plays ONLY against new players to PUG stomp?  I'm not aware of any team that does that...

October 11, 2009 12:39:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are any of those actually good games with respectable ladders?

October 11, 2009 1:49:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I play with QoT so ya fuck stats, to me it's just join game and lets play.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000953   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.