The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Overlay Beta

By on October 6, 2009 5:21:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

If you’re feeling lucky you can try out the beta of an updated overlay.

http://draginol.stardock.net/files/impulsereactor-100609.zip

Unzip the files into your bin directory.  This is a beta, so back up the files you’re overwriting. If you’re non-technical and don’t know how to do this then wait until the official update.

Very useful (like in my game, NeptunePisces, rage quitted in our game after insulting our team because he died, now I can make a note of that <g>).

To write notes about players, go to their profile and go to the notes tab. Here’s the one for me:

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/player/10397/notes

Locked Post 65 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 10, 2009 11:50:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hi,

can anyone explain how the familiarity is calculated?

Greetings

October 10, 2009 12:37:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The percentage of games you have played with that player (or agaisnt).

Im pretty sure at least.

October 10, 2009 12:49:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmm would be obvious, but i dont think so: Today I played with a guy who has only 4 games played ever. I played 3 of 4 games with him: So he should have 75% familiarity with me.

I of course have over 100 games, so i should have max 3% to him.

In fact we both had 14% to each other. How can this be explained?

October 10, 2009 4:30:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's based off a certain number of your last games.. liek, the last 25 or 50.  If you play with someone one game, you'll see 4%.  Next game, 8%, then 12%, then it changes tho... it's not just 4% increments per game.. as I've seen 82%.. or 22%.

October 10, 2009 4:34:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nah this aint the whole truth. maybe frogboy or someone else of stardock team could explain the details.

October 10, 2009 6:15:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, I noticed that if some one joins and leave, they still  show up in the familiarty rating. This seems to always happen.

I would all so like to say  THANK YOU to Frogboy for getting this out.  I cannont belive how many people pug and especialy premade try to stack teams so that one side stands no chance.  They sure do seem to get irritated when you call them out on it though.

MY playign experiance has been generally much better since I installed the overlay, as I can now easily see if teams are balanced.  I have no problem with premades at all, but it seems many of them just want their team who has hundreds of games played and a win rate of 80% to play agians 3 pugs who have win rates of like 30%.

Thank you again, this has made the game much more enjoyable.

October 10, 2009 6:52:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

indeed. but the worst is: instead of looking for competition they kick you if you ask for balanced teams.

oh and btw. the thing works fine.

though one thing: i cant push buttons after i scrolled. the standard height should be 6 person infoboxes because most games are 3vs3.

October 10, 2009 9:27:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think once this overlay comes out it will be harder to get a game going since people want to play with their friends while people who dont have friends want a balanced game. Honestly it's rare to get both. Worse it already takes up to 30 min to start a game.

October 10, 2009 9:40:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NeutralGood,
I think once this overlay comes out it will be harder to get a game going since people want to play with their friends while people who dont have friends want a balanced game. Honestly it's rare to get both. Worse it already takes up to 30 min to start a game.

Not trying to be argumentative, but i have to disagree.  Most of my games are probably played at off peak times (us east weekdays, mornings). 

I can usually get into a game in about 5 min.  Sometimes it takes longer but usually it doesnt take long at all.  In fact since the overlay, although I have left more lobbies than before, I dont think it takes any more time to get a game going (it may be quicker becasue you no longer have to tab out and review individual records). 

Reguardless even if it takes an extra few min. to find a good game, its worth it.

October 11, 2009 11:31:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting KRayner,
Thanks for this Frogboy, definately helps us less experienced players find more balanced games. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.

Awesome addition to the game... it greatly affords new players (that know enough to download it) a better chance at a fair fight / a better online experience that will keep them coming back for more... any idea when it will be pushed as a part of a patch to the entire community?

...I also echo K's inpatience for what SD has in store for us next!

October 11, 2009 6:20:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Derog,
indeed. but the worst is: instead of looking for competition they kick you if you ask for balanced teams.

I have no problem facing competition when I'm in a premade.. if a premade wants to join and needs me to kick someone out of the lobby so the rest of their team can get in to face mine.. sweet.  Done.  What I won't do is force someone on my team to play against us just to "balance" teams.  I also won't kick people just because you think they suck and you won't win (very rare circumstances.. if they are below 20% wins and 20 games.. sure).  If you don't have someone you're bringing in.. who's to say the next person who joins won't be the same rating that you don't like?  What you're looking for is another pug teammate who is liek 70% wins amirite?  It can take a longggg time to find the person you are willing to play with on your team.  Sorry, not going to kick 5-6 people only to have you give up and leave the lobby yourself.  If we absolutely can't find anyone.. say after 10 minutes of sitting in an empty lobby (usually only in 4v4).. we'll split up and 2v2 each other.

If you want 'balanced' teams, start your own lobby.. or get friends to play with.  It's not hard.  When I'm by myself.. I don't go joining premade lobbies and saying "hey.. this isn't fair.. gimme one of your guys" , I start a pug game.. or find another person I might know and start a 2v2 or 3v3.

October 11, 2009 8:42:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i got no problems with pres wanting to play other pres but then they should make it clear in the title. if the game says something like "have fun" then i expect an enjoyable game for both sides. if the title says "no noobs", "be good" or "average" and a noob or some guy with 20% wins joins, then the host has to check and tell everyone (asking if its ok) or he should talk him out of the game and eventually kick. and if under these circumstances the host is in a pre then he should put that in the title. if its not in the title i expect everyone to play a fair game. and fair game means even teams.

i dont play fair games all the time and i know that, but i try to do it more often every day as i experienced myself that it sucks otherwise.

i dont have a connection to host more than 3vs3. if i want to play 4vs4 i depend on others and there are really nice people out there who care about balance. but these guys who care are not premade!

so there are these premades hosting games like "mid" or "be good" (nothing like "pre", or "looking for pre") or something similar and having 80% stats themselves. they dont even try to balance the teams and even worse kick you if you tell them that the teams are unfair and the host should do his job.

so where is the problem to kick a beginner out of a "be good" lobby? btw. i very rarely host games but if i do the title doesnt say something blurry like "be good" but tells hard facts i.e. min 100 games, 40% wins+. ive not come across many beginners who say "im not good". most come from singleplayer mode (if they played it) and think they are awesome out of the box!

October 14, 2009 9:10:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw. the win percentage is not a good indicator for the skill level of a person, in the long run. The more games someone plays, the less that percentage will be influenced.

October 14, 2009 9:44:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

there may be other reasons why the win% is a bad indicator but what oyu wrote here is wrong.

indeed the more games someone played the less ONE games influences the percentage. but this is not an argument against it as indicator. in contrary the long run shows even better the "skill" as longer it is. because the initial learning time that may caused many losses gets more and more less important and vanishes from the percentage.

so basically the shown percentage is allways a bit under what you can expect from one currently because it is downed a bit by his learnign past. but the longer he plays the lesse his pearning past plays a role in the calculation. henve the longer you play the better it gets as an indicator and not worse!

but ofcourse there may be other reasons why it is still not a good indicator, like playing premade vs pug, 3min quitting, ....

October 14, 2009 10:08:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,
there may be other reasons why the win% is a bad indicator but what oyu wrote here is wrong.

indeed the more games someone played the less ONE games influences the percentage. but this is not an argument against it as indicator. in contrary the long run shows even better the "skill" as longer it is. because the initial learning time that may caused many losses gets more and more less important and vanishes from the percentage.

so basically the shown percentage is allways a bit under what you can expect from one currently because it is downed a bit by his learnign past. but the longer he plays the lesse his pearning past plays a role in the calculation. henve the longer you play the better it gets as an indicator and not worse!

but ofcourse there may be other reasons why it is still not a good indicator, like playing premade vs pug, 3min quitting, ....

Hypothetically, if you have played 1000 games of which you won 400, and then play another 100 games of which you won 95 (which would indicate, that you got a lot better), your percentage would only rise from 40% to 49.5%. The more games you play, the more time it takes for the win percentage to adjust to your skill level.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.