The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

UI work needed before beta 1B

By on October 5, 2009 7:37:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The more I work with the beta of Elemental the more I think we need to integrate info cards into it.  Those of you who have played Sins of a Solar Empire know what info cards are. They are one of the major game UI innovations that Ironclad has introduced to the genre.

The idea is that when you mouse over something, a “card” appears on the screen that gives detailed information about it. They’re kind of like super tooltips.

Well, for Elemental, that’s what we’re looking to do too. In this case, I’m thinking we should have them look like cards:

So the idea is that you could have your units on screen, mouse over them and see the card. Same for improvements in cities, artifacts, etc. It means a lot less click click click. 

It also gives another opportunity for players to customize something that has a practical use because they could, when designing units, have some control over the info card and thus be able to make distinctive cards for units they want to be able to recognize at a glance.

+86 Karma | 50 Replies
October 6, 2009 12:11:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome. I'd take Chuck Norris as a hero. His class would be Ranger.

October 6, 2009 1:02:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy, you just epic failed for posting a Chuck Noris card that is beatable(in around 10 turns with the right cards, I can explain how if anyone really cares).

Have to agree with what others are saying though: cards are a great idea.

October 6, 2009 1:30:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like a very interesting and useful idea. Anything to make the game more accessible, something the TBS games usually are not.

October 6, 2009 2:40:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great idea and especially great voor a TBS fantasy game. Bring 'em on those cards!

October 6, 2009 3:22:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the idea of info cards in Elemental and the idea of creating my own card description for units I design. Make it so Frogboy.

October 6, 2009 5:15:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CapnWinky,

What are you talking about? Nothing owns Chuck Norris.

I am called Nothing, you know?

October 6, 2009 6:02:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you are going to talk about card design, please avoid MtG. L5R owns (I miss being able to play or collect my Battle Maidens ).

Also, the ones I saw in that pic for the magic screen were nice (for starters?) so I hope for some really flavoured cards for the different things. It would be sweet!!!

October 6, 2009 7:14:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the idea.

October 6, 2009 10:30:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i don't know why but this card idea kinda reminding me of "Magick: The Gathering" for some reason . but hey i like it too.

October 6, 2009 4:29:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or for those in the know "Tragic:The Garnering"....

October 6, 2009 4:40:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,
If you are going to talk about card design, please avoid MtG. L5R owns (I miss being able to play or collect my Battle Maidens ).

Also, the ones I saw in that pic for the magic screen were nice (for starters?) so I hope for some really flavored cards for the different things. It would be sweet!!!

Never heard of this L5R, what is it? What's wrong with the style of cards from Magic:TG?

Quoting KellenDunk,
Or for those in the know "Tragic:The Garnering"....

I like Magic: The Gathering. It's the card game most of us grew up with who were Too Old to get into the kiddie crap like Poke'my'mom and Yu Gi Blow. Magic:TG is the more adult card game IMO.

===============================================================

I really like the idea for using cards for info, but, for INFO ONLY. I don't want units represented in battle as little cards. That would crush my hopes for tactical battles and they'd seriously dumb down the game if they went with a system like that.

October 6, 2009 5:11:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Altough MtG design has good things, mostly I find it plain (except that future model, I think). The design for Celestial Edition from the Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) is simply awesome while keeping the information clear. So if Frogboy is going to use a card as example in his post, L5R's are simple awesome. (sorry but Chuck Norris doesn't cut it)

If you add good art, then epic win!

(And L5R is not just a card game but a rpg too, quite good)

Not that I expect the info cards to have gorgous art with all the info about the unit. But if we were to get it, I'd not complain. And I doubt seriously that the info cards are going to be used for anything else than info.

October 6, 2009 9:26:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

(sorry but Chuck Norris doesn't cut it)
I thought I was the only one..... you are now officially forgiven for your mammary fetish.

October 6, 2009 9:42:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Am I the only one disappointed in how this topic has gotten seriously off topic?

Anyway back to Chuck Norris...

No seriously though, I have seen some of the card designs for the spells and Elemental looks clean and fresh so no worries. Agree with Raven X that I paid for a turn based strategy game and not Yu-Gi-Ohh or whatever. Info cards, maybe trade spell cards, but much more into a card game and it may be tragic mistake... unless it isn't, in which case I would be pleasantly surprised.  

October 7, 2009 5:52:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Scoutdog,

(sorry but Chuck Norris doesn't cut it)I thought I was the only one..... you are now officially forgiven for your mammary fetish.

October 7, 2009 11:34:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

IMHO one of the best parts of the info cards is the Art.  This allows your artists an opportunity to channel their inner doodler.

October 7, 2009 11:38:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Info cards are a good idea. I like it.

October 7, 2009 12:41:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is great! You should totally include an "Import Picture" function for when you create your own unit cards, perhaps even with zooming/cropping

October 7, 2009 4:26:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Importing images for units or sovereigns would be sweet.  Just as long as it's easier to use than the damn Icewind Dale importer I was playing with the other night.  That was a pain, especially with the 8.3 filenames and separate thumbnail images. 

October 8, 2009 3:12:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can we still expect 1B today or is it pushed because of all the UI work?

October 8, 2009 3:19:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There probably will be no update today. There was a comment from the frog where he said that they were leaning toward dropping it. This due to the fact that it takes time to make and release, and they had other pressing stuff to finish.

Patience young sovereign!

October 11, 2009 9:38:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MouseOver is great. Reducing unnecessary clicking is very welcome.

October 12, 2009 3:06:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,
Quoting Wintersong, reply 32If you are going to talk about card design, please avoid MtG. L5R owns (I miss being able to play or collect my Battle Maidens ).

Also, the ones I saw in that pic for the magic screen were nice (for starters?) so I hope for some really flavored cards for the different things. It would be sweet!!!

Never heard of this L5R, what is it? What's wrong with the style of cards from Magic:TG?

Quoting KellenDunk, reply 35Or for those in the know "Tragic:The Garnering"....

I agree.  In this case "in the know" referred to a spoof of MTG in Fallout2.

October 12, 2009 3:45:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,

"Tragic:The Garnering"....

I agree.  In this case "in the know" referred to a spoof of MTG in Fallout2.

Ahh yes, I remember that.

October 12, 2009 5:37:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The infocards are a good idea. Can we include diplomatic relations on there, too?

I rarely remember to check the diplomatic screen when playing this kind of game, so it's always a surprise when one of the AI factions suddenly declares war on me. Having the information on an infocard would keep everything on the main screen and make it more likely for me to come across it while playing.

This doesn't have to be anything too complicated; a small section on the card that lists the unit's faction's stance towards you along with any other factions they're currently allied or at war with would be fine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.