The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stargate - Universe

By on October 3, 2009 2:36:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Moosetek13

Join Date 03/2006
+48

So, now that the first episode has aired, what do you think?

Other than the style (too BSG/Defying Gravity (camera shots and flashbacks) for my taste - it seems the norm these days though) I like it so far.

Good story line, good cast and characters, and a fresh new twist to the SG saga.

Although, why hasn't there been any mention of an actual FTL drive in the other series? If so many ships were sent out with these drives, it should have been noticed by either SG1 or SGA in their searches of the Ancients databases.

But overall, I am looking forward to (hopefully) several more new seasons of Stargate.

Locked Post 437 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 3, 2009 5:26:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Cadalancea,
As a huge stargate fan who loved SG-1 and Atlantis and Ark of Truth (Not Continuum, they killed Ba'al! Gaaaaay), I'm hugely dissapointed by SGU.
One reason:
Yawn fest. Seriously. There's no action. Or intensity. Or drama. They're like: We're gonna fly into the sun. Shucks. Now let's all look at what assholes some people are, and watch others mope around for a half hour. Oh look, no fly into sun! Hoo-ray. Now we do a BSG shot of the shuttle, the end.

This show is bor-ing. There's definitely potential, but the problem is, the Stargate writers can't tap it. They've tired (boy they have) in SG-1 and Atlantis to introduce a more serious, deep, philsophical theme. Which failed. Stargate really isn't a deep show.

Also, I want to strangle annoying gamer boy and annoying daughter girl. Gaaah.

And why, why is the Destiny the most important thing since the stargate? It's a busted up ship that no-one can control and holds a charge like an incontinent toad when you pick it up.

Cadalancea

I actually think that first 7 or maybe 8 seasons of SG-1 consisted of many quality serious episodes and were not just plain action...one good example for all is The Lifeboat episode.... simply Stargate wasnt maybe the deepest show i ever saw, but it was not "shallow"  either.

These episodes are the reason, why i prefer SG-1 to Atlantis....both shows had great main story arc episodes, but SG-1 beats Atlantis hands down, when it comes to the rest....

Anyway I agree that SGU is boring so far and the seriousness of the show feels somehow plastic IMO.

November 3, 2009 10:06:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what are you talking about?

name 4 'deep' sci fi shows with the action, humour and satisfaction for watching that SG gives you.

but seriously... what does 'deep' give you? hell, DEFINE deep in the first instance.

honestly, who wants to watch a story about 'flawed heroes', which is just spin talk for "losers-who-have-the-producers-on-their-side". i see enough losers in real life, i dont want my entertainment to be about the same schmucks.

honestly, all 4 team members of both SG series were good enough for me. they were humour, brains, ethical dilemmas and action all rolled into... um... 4... but nevertheless, it was INTERESTING! it was GRATIFYING! how DEEP do you need it to be? i much prefer the depth in SG as it was in SG1 and Atlantis, rather than something like District 9 (which, btw, PISSED ME OFF! because it was advertised as an action movie just to steal a few extra viewers so the director could spread his opinion a bit further...)

SG is a sci-fi action series. traditionally, it had action, humour, moral dilemmas, and high tech wizardry. all the right ingredients for a great sci fi series.

Universe is just an insult to SG tradition... in its own way its nice, and like i said a page ago, it has some potential, but ONLY if they move back to the more traditional SG stuff... i hate to sound like the guy who is afraid of the unknown, but i MUCH prefer old school SG to this new age drama crap.

November 3, 2009 11:05:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so, is this iteration any better than the absolute garbage that constitutes stargate thus far? (original movie excepted)

November 3, 2009 11:07:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheRezonator,

name 4 'deep' sci fi shows with the action, humour and satisfaction for watching that SG gives you.

BSG, B5, Firefly. ok, i only got 3. but i couldn't name 4 series' WORSE than SG either.

November 3, 2009 11:16:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well I have to agree with most people here, having watched SG-1 since its premier, I feel that Universe so far sucks. My fiance already has the tv playing soap operas all day, don't need another one based off of my favorite sci-fi show. CG effects are cool cant wait to see more of the ship, but as of right now the ship is the only reason i watch the show not the SG members, I mean hell even the kinos are more interesting than the crew. also can pretty much guarantee that the entire first season is filmed already so even if they see the light and change their ways, we're still stuck with whatever they already filmed this season(could be good or bad, got my fingers crossed , not holding my breath though)

November 3, 2009 11:49:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Rais Ima take that as you trying to be funny. SG1 was a great show, of course they had to change somethings that didnt match the movie, but the writers payed attention to their fan base and when they did something that tampered with the SG universe people didnt stand for it. Right now the Writers of SGU are pissing on the very values and concepts that made SG1 such a success. How many shows do you know that last longer then 5 seasons? SG1 was capable of going for 11 seasons, but they decided to call it quits for the sake of ending the series on a high note and not being cancelled mid season like sooo many good shows end up experiencing.

November 4, 2009 12:12:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
Rais Ima take that as you trying to be funny.

not trying to be funny. SG is second only to sliders as the worst popular scifi ive seen.

Quoting Allegiance86,

How many shows do you know that last longer then 5 seasons?

lol, i love it when fans use this as evidence of a show's innate quality. all it means to me is that dumbed-down scifi is more marketable and popular than those shows that require a little more from the viewer. how many years did days of our lives run for? is that evidence of quality, or people being happy eating turd sandwiches year after year?

shows like BSG or B5 ran for fewer seasons because they had a finite story to tell, not because they were unpopular (though B5 certainly struggled with its budget) and didn't need to tack on season after season to milk consumers.

November 4, 2009 4:57:51 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

BSG, B5, Firefly

Errr ... when and how was BSG funny? *scratcheshead*

I'd say: B5, Firefly, ST:TNG

And yes, the number of seasons it ran does not equal it's entertainment value.

November 4, 2009 10:15:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yet I dont have to use the number of seasons. the majority of people in this forum alone will tell you SG is in the top list of Scifi Shows.

November 4, 2009 10:50:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
Yet I dont have to use the number of seasons. the majority of people in this forum alone will tell you SG is in the top list of Scifi Shows.

SG1 was certainly cool, and I like SGU better than what I've seen of Atlantis. I like the Star Trek franchise better than the Stargate franchise, generally, except for Enterprise, which all three of the Stargate series trump.

November 4, 2009 11:16:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Im not saying its the top of the list, im saying its one of the top shows scifi fans relate to.

November 4, 2009 2:11:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So 80% of the civs they find don't live in huts?   Hell even some of the Jafar are living in medevil times, except they have some pimped out ships.  So tell me that you would live in these huts when you have these advanced weapons....

If I'm the local god's slave and he externinates anyone that makes technological progress and doesn't share his toys, yeah...

Try actually watching a show, preferably with your brain turned on, before you dish on it.  If you had done so, you'd know that they misplaced Earth over the course of time, and failed to do their normal practice of exterminating large populations and wiping out anyone that achieved a technological level that was even remotely threatening.  You'd also be able to pick at actual faults the show had, like repeating the same story arcs over with a new badguy after the show had run out of steam.

Thanks for the award anyway.

Don't thank me, you earned it in spades.

November 4, 2009 3:56:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol, guess i lost my brain.   NERD FIGHT: ACTIVE

Anyway, I've watched all these shows out of order, but don't let that be an excuse.  

Anyway your so smart.

November 4, 2009 5:56:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TatertotEatalot,
lol, guess i lost my brain.   NERD FIGHT: ACTIVE

Anyway, I've watched all these shows out of order, but don't let that be an excuse.  

Anyway your so smart.

actually, he is correct, you have no idea what you are talking about. its like this review for Transformers 2 i saw, the guy was attacking every little thing, saying stuff like: oh, and at the begining of the movie, the autobots are murdering innocent decepticons, who are just sitting there minding their own business

except anyone with a brain knows the decepticons werent sitting there harmless, but were waiting to attack.

and if you remember the Tolan, the Asgard, the Knox, i think one or two others, they had tech surpassing the goauld, however, most of the galaxy had been enslaved by them, so the majority of the population lived in huts.

as for the mentioned Sci-Fi shows, BSG wasnt funny, and felt to me like the same stuff over and over, i got bored of watching it very quickly and only started watching it again when the real action started happening (end of the series)

i love firefly, i wish it hadnt been cancelled. however, i wouldnt call it deep, just more... idn, mature... than most people have patience for... which is too bad for them.

Babylon 5 was Star Trek with more fighting. dont remember it being funny or all that popular...

BUT, Stargate has it all, comedy, combat, sci fi stuff, moral issues. it had multiple and differing coherent story arcs interspersed with alot of single episodes which is good. im not saying other sci-fis dont do this, im just saying its why SG is good. Also, they have a good story with not bad writers.

but tell me how SGU is 'deep', as opposed to simply being annoying because the characters reflect people in rel life and not the heroes we want/are used to seeing

November 4, 2009 6:39:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting TheRezonator,

Babylon 5 was Star Trek with more fighting. dont remember it being funny or all that popular...

didnt you just criticise someone for not watching properly and then commenting? no scifi fan who had actually watched a decent amount of the show would make this incorrect comparison. star trek? lol. it was certainly funny in parts here or there, and what does its popularity have to do with anything? all that states is it was too intelligent for mainstream cretins, unlike SG.

B5 pioneered the 'novel for tv' format. it was the very first show of its type, and everything similar that has come since then owes it a debt of gratitude. it was a real feat in story telling.

November 4, 2009 7:03:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Star Adder,

BSG, B5, Firefly
Errr ... when and how was BSG funny? *scratcheshead*

I'd say: B5, Firefly, ST:TNG

And yes, the number of seasons it ran does not equal it's entertainment value.

BSG did have it's funny moments. However, it wasn't the sort of show that beat you over the head with a gag because it felt that you were too stupid to put two and two together, and get four. Take into the context of the series. It's not exactly funny, but the characters do find moments of levity. Speaking of beating you over the head with a gag, I'm looking at you Warehouse Failteen!

Really, SGU is trying to be deep, when it shouldn't. Stargate isn't a deep show. To be sure, they had a few odd episodes here and there that somehow managed to break the mold, but really, it was a qunitessential action/adventure sci fi show made unique by engaging writing, characters, and plots. Stargate Universe has none of that. Whereas in SGA or SG1, I immediately took to the characters within minutes of their introduction, the SGU characters are flat, boring, and fail to ellicit any sort of response from me. The writing, well, fails. It's the standard Stargate writing, but without good characters to back it up, it falls flat.

Cadalancea

November 4, 2009 11:10:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Note, the almighty soap opera tagged the "novel for tv" format a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  A never ending novel perhaps, but still...

November 4, 2009 11:37:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting psychoak,
Note, the almighty soap opera tagged the "novel for tv" format a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  A never ending novel perhaps, but still...

yeah, maybe if FILM really meant TELEVISION you might have a point. but alas, you're completely incorrect. thanks for playing though!

November 5, 2009 3:39:40 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

actual faults the show had, like repeating the same story arcs over with a new badguy

Yep, that's why I got kind of bored with the last couple of seasons...

Not even bringing in Farscape actors and the adorable Morena Baccarin from Firefly could compensate for the lame repetetiveness.

*LOL* Now that's a good one! Have you actually tried watching B5 in it's entirety? I have to admit that I thought it to be a soap in space at first too. But when I watched it a couple of eps I realized how wrong I was. B5 is a show with a story arc that went from the 1st ep to the last. Hints and side notes of things to come like two seasons later can be found in the very first episodes, whereas ST consisted mostly of stand alone episodes.

Also B5 had absolutely NO annoying technobabble the way ST had ("let's hit that rift with a chronoton beam for exacttly 3.45465445 seconds to close it". *rollseyes*

Also it wasn't very much about exploration of unknown space either.

It was all about the underlying main plot and character development. Granted, there were good and bad episodes like in every show, but it was also quite funny in many ways. Some subtle, some openly.

And RAISTLIN is right. The fact that it doesn't have as a big fanbase as ST or SG is due to it's more intelligent story telling/design.

Don't get me wrong. I liked especially ST:TNG a lot. But comparing it to B5 isn't just comparing apples to oranges. It's comparing apples to pumpkins...

What I liked about SG all the time was that they tapped into a variety of myths along the line. e. g. norse, egyptian and british mythology.

November 5, 2009 4:51:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting -RAISTLIN-,

Quoting TheRezonator, reply 139

didnt you just criticise someone for not watching properly and then commenting? no scifi fan who had actually watched a decent amount of the show would make this incorrect comparison. star trek? lol. it was certainly funny in parts here or there, and what does its popularity have to do with anything? all that states is it was too intelligent for mainstream cretins, unlike SG.

B5 pioneered the 'novel for tv' format. it was the very first show of its type, and everything similar that has come since then owes it a debt of gratitude. it was a real feat in story telling.

Babylon 5 had actually lot in common with Star Trek DS9, but it was more centered about the main story plot, DS9 had more episodic character...i would say both shows had some of the best characters (or actors?) in entire scifi genre (Sheridan, Garibaldi, Mollari, G´Kar in B5 and Sisko, Garak, Gul Dukat and O´Brien in DS9) and for me these shows are still the best scifi out there....

November 5, 2009 5:02:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

both shows had some of the best characters (or actors?) in entire scifi genre (Sheridan, Garibaldi, Mollari in B5 and Sisko, Garak, Gul Dukat and O´Brien in DS9)

Agreed. Though I think it's the synergy of great actors, great writing, and well thought out character development that was the key to their success. Btw, how could you not mention G'Kar(Andreas Katsulas)?! This is close to blasphemy!

It wasn't much before season 3 though that I came to like DS9...

November 5, 2009 8:51:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Star Adder,

Btw, how could you not mention G'Kar(Andreas Katsulas)?! This is close to blasphemy!

Huh, i mentioned him, i wouldnt dare to forget him ....really he was one of the best. It´s sad he is not around anymore

Quoting Star Adder,

It wasn't much before season 3 though that I came to like DS9...

Agreed. I do not hold even the third deason in the highest regard except few episodes (Improbable Cause/ Die is Cast). But other four seasons were just fantastic.

November 5, 2009 11:23:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It´s sad he is not around anymore

Yeah. Same as with Raoul Julia...

November 5, 2009 11:44:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Its just sad that the writers ran out of fresh ideas for the SG franchise and instead of just letting it rest, they had to renew it with a show that spits on the very founding aspects of a very good scifi show. Its even worse they pulled original characters like Gen. O'Neill and Colonel Carter into it. Richard Dean Anderson  might not of had much screen time but the fact they portrayed his character to be so cold hearted about something that would have any serviceman scratching their heads as to how could they help their comrades disturbes me. I know Gen. O'Neill can be alittle emotionally seperatated at times, but comrades lost in space and on the verge of dying isnt one of those times.

November 5, 2009 8:43:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How could you not mention Quark in DS9?! He was by far the best character! He was either a protagonist or antagonist at times. Yet his motives were always so transparent, either profit or love.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time: