The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

From average to pro: A guide on mad skillz

By on October 3, 2009 12:43:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From Average to Pro: A Guide on Mad Skillz

By Epiphenomenon

If you’re an average player, then you can easily trounce newbies but often still lose to pros. This guide is meant to show how an average player can take it to the next level. There are several principles that you need to keep in mind if you want to step it up. This only covers things that I see average players do. If you want newbie advice, I would suggest looking at guides for beginners.

Situational awareness is mandatory.

You need to keep a constant check on what’s going on the map at all times. This is the #1 thing to keep in mind. Never get tunnel vision. If you are only concentrating on your own lane, you are playing the game wrong. In fact, you are being lazy. Always keep tabs on your teammates and the last known location of your opponents. Eventually, your teammates will make a mistake and will need your help to save them from being ganked. Always check the mini map to see where the players are. If you see an urgent threat, hit the “ping” key (P) constantly. Your teammates will be more likely to notice a ping if you mash the button repeatedly. Never stay zoomed in on the same place. Constantly zoom in and out so you get the “big picture” of what is happening. Frequently reorient your camera for best line of sight.

2.   Always communicate

Call a target in every fight. You need to be telling each other your plans. Being able to type and play Demigod takes effort. Learn how to abbreviate words. While vent is certainly better, typing usually suffices as long as everyone is communicating.

3.   Always be ready to gank

This means that you need to have a teleport scroll at all times. I usually carry two. If your team has a Rook, then you should try to coordinate ganks based off of teleporting to his towers. If he is a pure hammer rook, try to convince him to spend one point in towers. The ganking potential is very worth it. Always be on the lookout for opponents that run behind your towers or capped flags. Tele-gank if you think you can kill them. Your frame of mind should constantly be “where is there an opportunity for me to gank?”

4.   Never run behind towers or capped flags

This is probably the most frequent average mistake. Running behind a tower is usually death if your opponents know what they are doing.

5.   Press your advantage when you get a kill

This is another frequent mistake I see. Killing an opponent puts the other team at a disadvantage for 15+ seconds. You need to be killing their rear towers, capping their gold flag, or rushing a portal. Running back to shop is a terrible use of your 3v2 advantage unless you and your teammates are badly hurt. Start tearing *$&% up. You have a limited window here, so use it!

6.   Sink all of your gold into the citadel early game

Even at the average player level, I see people hoarding their gold. This is n00bish. Your opponents can’t gank that well early game, so sink all of your gold into the citadel and stay close to your towers. I still haven’t seen very many average players buy XP 1 and XP 2. These upgrades will give you the win if the other team does not buy them (player skill being equal). Buy XP 1 and XP 2. Wait, did I mention that you should buy XP 1 and XP 2? Be sure not to buy these upgrades if you want to lose. Buy XP upgrades.

7.   Don’t buy priests early game.

While the XP has been toned down, buying priests will still give your opponents a 26% boost in XP. It’s like buying XP 2 for the other team. If your opponents buy priests, make sure you have XP 2. This will give you a 46% XP advantage.

8.   Stick to playing 1-2 demigods

Each demigod plays differently, so play 1-2 Demigods repeatedly so you can get a feel for them.

9.   Around level 6-8, start a hard push on one side

If your opponents are scattered over the map, tell your teammates to teleport over to your side when you reach the midgame. Start tearing *$&% up. As soon as you have killed a tower or captured a rear flag, go back to whatever you were doing, because the enemy is probably coming to gank you. Quickly strike, then back off to the middle. If this happens to you, make sure you teleport over ASAP to defend. This is one of the reasons why you need good situational awareness at all times.

10. Always recap middle flags

I see too many players stick to their lane on Cataract when the other team has the XP flag. Both sides should be constantly haggling over neutral flags. If your teammates are in a position to grab them, tell them to do so.

11. Play a ton of games

This will all become second nature to you if you keep all of this in mind and keep playing. Good luck, and I hope to have a good match against you soon. J I hope this guide well help a few more people become pros.

+38 Karma | 10 Replies
October 3, 2009 5:41:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

12. Find a team mate. Only with a persistant teammate u will advance in skill.

13. This is not serious: Use exploits as hard as u can to be pro....oh damn it is serious...partwise

October 3, 2009 7:03:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You will have to get priest to counter their priest if they push with the priest, otherwise they will fall into the middle (at least on cataract)

October 3, 2009 7:13:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice guide...you hit a lot of important things spot on Everyone should give this a read

October 3, 2009 12:24:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice.  Added this to my compilation of strategy guides.

October 3, 2009 3:30:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good stuff Epi  

Weird icon stuff...

October 3, 2009 5:57:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great job

it's sad that what's common sense needs to be explained in a strat guide on the forum. People should just know this shit, I dunno, by being human beings. You could boil this down to "make good choices" but half the players of the game don't know what a good choice is.

October 3, 2009 6:05:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you’re an average player, then you can easily trounce newbies but often still lose to pros.

Good tips, but I feel something is wrong here.

Demigod is a team game. Individual "pro"s mean very little. Its all about the persistant teams. The individual skill ceiling is a about a story high. The ability to successfully coordinate as a team is extremely hard in comparison.

October 3, 2009 8:29:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Priests is really more of a question of what DG's you are facing.  Sedna, Erebus, Oak, etc have a lot harder time feeding off of priests then a TB, Tower rook, ooze ub, etc.  

October 3, 2009 9:51:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sarmis,
Priests is really more of a question of what DG's you are facing.  Sedna, Erebus, Oak, etc have a lot harder time feeding off of priests then a TB, Tower rook, ooze ub, etc.  

Other way around, it's more about what demigods you are. If you are all assassins then u dont have priests for heal, so buying priests earlier than your enemy is worth it. Otherwise, rule of thumb is don't buy priests until after the enemy does - just to counter..... unless u are taking a lot of damage and dont have minion priests... then get priests when u need them.

October 4, 2009 6:13:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good to get Priests earlier if:

- You are Sedna (healing wind, creep wave support increases dps passively) or a Rook (even harder to push out).

- Do not have a General in each lane and the opponents do

- You are pushing vital towers and dominating. Priests help a lot

- You have consistent control of a portal

- If your opponents get priests

- Your opponents can't deal with creeps well: (Sedna, ASSASSIN Erebus (not minion.  Priests mean he gets his army faster)... that's pretty much it. Oak heals from creeps, TB is pure AoE, Queen has tons of AoE and cleave, Rook has towers and even an aggro rook has cleave and/or archers, Reg has wings or mines, UB has Ooze)

---

'General' Tips (pun intended )

14. Target monks whenever you safely can, espiecially if the owning general is gone.  If you have a ranged attack, this becomes even more true (as Sedna I ignore a Regulus kiting me at low levels, my monks heal me almost as fast than he hurts me. I have to use heal on myself about every 30 seconds but that's it, I just creep).

15. LEARN TO SHARE YOUR MONKS. THEY DON'T HEAL YOU TWICE AS FAST IF YOU hAVE TWO ON YOURSELF AND ONLY YOU IN A LANE. SEND ONE TO AN ASSASSIN TEAMMATE FOR GOD SAKES

16. If the majority of your team is generals, or if you are going to decide to share a lane with a General, decide who gets monks with the first 1k, IN THE LOBBY (private message). Monks of the same tier, even if owned by different people, heal on the same clock, meaning they don't stack, meaning your team is wasting 900 gold. Make the other get Banded Armor + Scaled Mail or something.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.