The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod, Marketing, and You!

By on October 1, 2009 1:47:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Things that really help: 

Frogboy playing public games

The PCG vs. Devs matches and writeups

The Devs vs. Ladder tournament

Sorian in general ( mods, blog, attitude) and specifically as a *GPG presence on forums*

Status reports and Journals

Things that should kick in with 1.2:

- Stardock as producer sets aside $150 or so from the marketing budget and announces a tournament with cash and loot prizes. You don't even have to spend money if you don't want - Winners get a VIP version of Impulse, one year's 10% discount on all games on Impulse, free copy of Elemental, whatev, just make it juicy and worth writing about.  The announcement is sent to out to every niche gamer's website and major blog hub, maybe get Gamasutra to interview you about it.  If the first one works out then make it a monthly thing if at all possible. 

- Stardock arranges several exhibition matches between writers on game blogs and gives them review copies of the new DGs to play them with

- Stardock arranges a custom league and encourages Kieron Gillen to write a diary of each match he plays (this might be difficult but it would totally be worth it)

- The art assets are spectacular and explanation is over-rated.  Make vids for each of the new DGs which showcase the game the way the first vid did and post links to the vids all over the internet

Just a few thoughts, but I think aggressive outreach would be excellent, at this point.

Thanks for reading
Kestrel

P.S.  Does Stardock have a dedicated marketing group?

+118 Karma | 15 Replies
October 1, 2009 2:01:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/agree

October 1, 2009 2:46:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Things that really help: 

Sorian in general ( mods, blog, attitude) and specifically as a *GPG presence on forums*

This. Why it took GPG so long to hire him, I will never understand.

October 1, 2009 3:37:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I never understood why Stardock didnt organise a quick money tournament. So cheap and yet has such a large effect on the community.

Nice list there Kestrel

October 1, 2009 3:50:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice list. Stardock should maybe hire you as an online community manager... Not being sarcastic either.

But I really doubt any of this will happen.

October 1, 2009 6:22:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These are all some really good ideas.  Big pay off with relatively very little cost.

October 1, 2009 8:15:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. Tell your friends that ZehDon plays Demigod.
2. ???
3. Profit.

October 1, 2009 8:30:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/disclaimer: I speak from personal opinion.

I think it's hard to find time or manpower to organise any such events when they're still busy with working with GPG on the new features for v1.2, Elemental and the usual busy things to do when running a business. They're not a large company like EA or Blizzard.

I think some of you are downplaying the arrangements required to get a tournament like this up and running, especially with the prizes involved. To get a 10% discount on all games, I think Stardock would either be required to contact every single publisher to agree to such terms, or absorb the 10% cut themselves. They would also need to make sure there is interest in such an event and that the publicity is certain. They're running a business after all and have to be wise with their resources.

That said, I agree with Ke5trel in suggesting the tournament only after v1.2, since that would hopefully make the game more stable and thus more suitable for such tournaments. Issues like the mystery lag and desyncs or what have you would have to go to make sure the matches are completed without incident.

October 1, 2009 8:31:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

- The art assets are spectacular and explanation is over-rated.  Make vids for each of the new DGs which showcase the game the way the first vid did and post links to the vids all over the internet

I did a vid like that, which was supposed to be used by Stardock to help promote the game back around the time of the first big milestone patch and the demo. They did nothing with it. NOTHING. I also happen to know that the video creation features needed to make vids like the original trailer are not in the release version of the game.

Don't bother with this request; it's a dead end.

October 1, 2009 8:52:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ahiodsohi,

quoting post
I did a vid like that, which was supposed to be used by Stardock to help promote the game back around the time of the first big milestone patch and the demo. They did nothing with it. NOTHING. I also happen to know that the video creation features needed to make vids like the original trailer are not in the release version of the game.

I tend to not post much, but I do lurk around. At the front of GPG, there is a television that plays various trailers. I always take a moment to stop when your trailer appears on the screen.

October 1, 2009 9:00:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vundarbread,

Quoting Ahiodsohi, reply 8
quoting post

I tend to not post much, but I do lurk around. At the front of GPG, there is a television that plays various trailers. I always take a moment to stop when your trailer appears on the screen.

I don't blame you guys. GPG came through on their end of this deal.

October 1, 2009 9:50:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This brought a tear to my eye.  

October 2, 2009 12:03:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did a vid like that, which was supposed to be used by Stardock to help promote the game back around the time of the first big milestone patch and the demo.

So I don't know how I missed this, but it really is an amazing vid.  Like at a loss for words amazing..I just watched it three times..

It's here if anyone else is interested (and you should be):  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/357216

And I would see Stardock having trouble getting rights to the music for official use, unfortunately...

October 2, 2009 12:53:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

I did a vid like that, which was supposed to be used by Stardock to help promote the game back around the time of the first big milestone patch and the demo.
So I don't know how I missed this, but it really is an amazing vid.  Like at a loss for words amazing..I just watched it three times..

It's here if anyone else is interested (and you should be):  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/357216

And I would see Stardock having trouble getting rights to the music for official use, unfortunately...

It wasn't for official use, but rather a "Look at some of the stuff our fan base has done" sort of thing.

October 2, 2009 3:26:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

Hey, you could always do a video to Demigod the song I wrote with some other musicians.... We'd happily allow it's use, or even create more music for this purpose (by the way, we don't only do Metal, we also can produce the ambient type stuff like what's in this video).

Here's the thread where I posted the song:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/362146

and the Mp3 link: http://easy.v-band.de/D01CABB8003F4784B0FDA900944FBD40/Demigod%20mix.mp3

October 2, 2009 10:24:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm pretty sure stardock did have a budget for some cash tournaments.

And I did see you vid Ahiodsohi and thought it was spectacular at the time. Always wondered why it was advertised more.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.