The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A case for the Skirmish mode...

... or how a new player can learn game mechanics (i.e. how not to be a feeder)

By on September 30, 2009 2:11:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Skirmish mode has unmistakable value and should be brought back in some form or fashion.

Demigod is a great game... a fact I was initially uncertain about. Coming from single-player-land (a short 6 or so weeks ago) I thought I knew my stuff... boy was I wrong... my introduction to multi-player competition was... less than gentle. I beleive it was SnakeBlade who introduced me to the term "noob" and "feeder"... but i richly deserved it.

To correct this deficiency I hit Skirmish mode hard... learning what I could from the few players there: to work with teammates, the value of a sigil, how to spot an over-confident UB, how to spot a timid Erb and most importantly the utility of a gamepad...

Skirmish mode returned the "fun of the game" to me again and again in the first month of play... go to Pantheon, get my butt kicked... go back to Skirmish for an ego-boosting win... repeat as required...

...for what it is worth, I beleive the Demigod community would best grow, attract and retain new players if it had a Skirmish Mode option... maybe no experience is earned there, maybe experienced players can go there to recruit for their clan... or take teammates there to compete against other groups and/or selectable variations of AI???

What do you think? I would be interested to know...

+3 Karma | 18 Replies
September 30, 2009 2:31:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Better suggestion:

An automatch that only uses conquest.

September 30, 2009 3:44:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ya I remember your AA regulus days

September 30, 2009 3:53:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

... or how a new player can learn game mechanics

better in-game item and ability descriptions.

an official post from frogboy, promoting good sites with valuable information for the game, such as www.demigoddb.com.

replays, having them on an external site isnt very much help when you have to make an account. more effort = less chance of them doing it.

September 30, 2009 6:16:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If Skirmish mode would stop you raping AI in panth, since you do nothing else, and bring some legitimacy to the ranks which you have so exploited...then sure.

Case to answer in this thread....

September 30, 2009 7:33:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I might take this seriously if you didn't dodge every human player that you see in Pantheon but thats all you do!

September 30, 2009 7:43:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,
If Skirmish mode would stop you raping AI in panth, since you do nothing else, and bring some legitimacy to the ranks which you have so exploited...then sure.

Case to answer in this thread....

I agree.

But perhaps Obscenitor has it closest to the mark in his reply to the link you posted... we (or at least I) don't really know how experience is apportioned... publish a guide, give some parameters... it has been all trial and error at this point... let it be an even and informed playing field and then the best players can have at it... reset the rankings again.

...on to another issue that Pacov raised... no, I know he was not calling me out, and yes, I have learned to lose very, very well (283 loses will do that for you!) but... if we are honest, we have all tried to find that niche... that advantage... that edge... I won't be an Erb clone or a UB drone (lol... kinda just kidding guys!) and for light to win (let's face it, the BEST players are dark) the light has to use it's thin numbers advantage while on-line, that is to ensure favor (AI based) is generated in our favor... with so many more light on-line at one time, there will naturally be more Pantheon favor generated for the light... even when it has the most losses...

...best case in point, look at yesterday's stats closely... at times, Rike and I managed to have light in the points lead despite there being a 60% dark win advantage... ask yourself, how is that possible... I can only answer for myself - when burdened with AI, I would pull 125 favor in the first minute and then with that lead (90 for each of my 3 dark opponents primarily) I would concede... not a loss... good use of my time and ultimately a points lead for the light... if I would have stayed it would have taken 20 more minutes, I may have only gotten 70 points max and each of my opponents would have averaged 40 more points...

...overall (and finally in closing!) the system is what we all love (and mayhaps often lament) and we all work to best advantage our play, some of us also work to provide new players with a good experience when matched with them against AI by offering to answer their questions / provide advice... have I considered that I am helping the inexperienced-light-player-of-today become the pro-dark-player-of-tomorrow... yes, I have and I say bring them on... the more players that enjoy the game (hint, hint, hint for a Skirmish mode) the more and better players we will have in the future... for whenever the Demon and Oculus come out and the Pantheon expands into Clan warfare... a whole new level of Clan experience factors... for us to know nothing about except through trial and error... and waiting for Pacov to call us out in the forums...

September 30, 2009 7:47:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

looking forward to reading your reply in a bit.

September 30, 2009 7:55:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did not follow that at all.

September 30, 2009 8:09:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats all BS Havoc. Trying to justify your means of playing by saying your trying to win the epoch for light.

Horseshit, nothing more, nothing less.

Why wouldn't you fight humans then? Is that still not favor for the light side? You dodged at least 2 games the other day within 20 mins of each other with humans, and within minutes of each, you were in AI only games....

You play AI near exclusively, a quick look through your stats shows this. And no you cannot use the excuse that the Panth is full of AI when the light and dark teams are inbalanced. Many others play Panth and we get our fair share of AI games, we just don't dodge human V human as you do...

The mere fact that your #1 and i actually care about stats, makes my game time pointless. My stats too are bloated with AI exp from Panth games, i should not rank where i do, i'm higher than Shade, even, and that is wrong. But the fact you seek to do this on purpose, renders the whole ladder pointless......

Proud of yourself are you?

September 30, 2009 9:22:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Prussian - I'll just respond to you in the other thread that Neilo mentioned.  Don't want to thread cap here as I don't have much to add to this topic ATM. 

September 30, 2009 10:22:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,
Thats all BS Havoc. Trying to justify your means of playing by saying your trying to win the epoch for light.

Proud of yourself are you?

Actually, I am just enjoying my $30 investment in Demigod and through dicovery learning prefecting my grasp of maxing out favor points and exp...

...how has you day been going?

October 1, 2009 9:46:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Guys, the sooner you accept Prussian-Havoc is the best Demigod player the sooner we can all get on with our lives.

October 1, 2009 10:58:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Prussian-havoc, i have been having trouble beating the AI =[

Any tips you can give me?

October 1, 2009 1:31:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is Stardocks fault for allowing a.i matches to count on the ladder. Prussian can do whatever he wants...dodge human and play a.i - w/e. As lame as it is, we cant really tell him to stop doing it. Stardock need to fix this...

October 1, 2009 1:39:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Prussian-havoc, i have been having trouble beating the AI =[

Any tips you can give me?

roflz

October 1, 2009 6:45:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

double post zzz

October 1, 2009 6:48:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is GPG's fault for allowing a.i into matches in the first place. Prussian can do whatever he wants...dodge human and play a.i - w/e. As lame as it is, we cant really tell him to stop doing it. GPG need to fix this...

fixed.

October 2, 2009 9:29:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,

fixed.

it is indeed fixed... thx, no one has had more stress over all this than me, now i can concentrate on pure gaming... the best kind!

...on a completely differrent note, my long-expected but not-much-embraced PCS move is taking place beginning today and for the next two weeks... it will be very limited hotel connectivity for me... "very-unhappy-face"...

... so while I will still roam the forums (running a netbook alongside your desktop is sooo cool), my serious 5+ game gaming per day opportunities will be non-existant... military leave only lasts for so long but a month off has been fun... even more fun now that you, pavoc and stacked have helped me integrate into this community... i may not have started off how i would have liked, but if yesterday is any indication (on my games list and the fact that i am still the top ranked player if not in Pantheon, at least in the world)... then it will be a fun ride over the next few months... thx

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.