I played demigod addictively for about 3 months after it shipped. Good premise, fun multiplayer, alas few problems at beginning.
My question is, how many of the players who prebought the game are still around? The clan I was apart of pretty much have all quit, and think the game is dead. I don't care if you still have new players, etc, how many actually stay?
Anyways, so I quit, and it's really simple why. For anyone wondering, I play HoN exclusively now, which is exactly Dota. Now, barring game to game comparisons which I won't do, I don't care if Dota is a bad game or not in your opinion, HoN has features that had they been in Demigod within the last few months I wouldn't of quit. So to make this post short, here's a list!
-Reconnection (oh I dcced, my game crashed, and I can come back!)
-PSR. HoN has a system in the UI that shows a number that trys to compute an overall persons skill. It works like Chess ratings where if you win against an equal team ur PSR goes up, if it doesn't it goes down. Basically you can tell if a game is a pub stomp simply by a % that is shown over each team (which is computed by adding up a teams total PSR). If one side shows 90% chance to win, and the other side shows 10%, you know you shouldn't waste your time with this specific game. They also have an autobalance button to make it so each side is as equal as can be done with such a simple system. Systems not perfect but it helps immensely for a solo player.
-Built in voice chat.
-Clans, nuff said.
-Messaging system + buddy list, all in game simply by pressing f6, you can see who is online, and get an im box by double clicking on someones name. When I was using the impulse UI, I'm sorry but it made me puke with its flaws. HoN's UI shows you when your buddy/clans join a game, and allow you to follow them to any game. It's also amazingly simple yet effective. Whereas Impulse's UI was simple and ineffective.
-Game browser. You can search games by name, map, mode, tier (Noobs/Noobs Allowed/ Pros only). Oh yeh, they have tiers, so you can make your game say pros only, or noobs only. Tiers are governed I believe by numbers of games.
-In game stats. You can see a persons stats simply by right clicking them. You can see if they are leaver, or if they are good or bad.
-Reconnection. Oh I already said this, but seriously!
Lastly, you guys promised the new demigods a month ago. This is beyond sad that its not done yet. Your own fault trying to make a game look so good, that adding new heroes takes months and months of time to create. The type of genre demigod exists in, is more dependant on changing gameplay than good looks. New heroes create new gameplay, lack of new heroes creates stagnant gameplay which imo, ultimately makes anyone who enjoyed it quit. 8 different heroes in a 5v5 game is pathetic.
I really enjoyed Demigod, I'm really sad that the developer allowed it to stagnate and ultimately cause me to quit. (At least until the new demigods come out)
PS. Add more unique items. Dota/HoN has a very unique plethora of items, which adds to gameplay. I find the item set in demigod to be ultimately just a set of +dmg/+hp/+armor/+mana regen/+speed that is pretty boring. Favor items are about all that is cool.