The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

FRAPS Causing Reduced Game Speed

By on September 27, 2009 2:44:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, I've noticed an odd issue. I'm on a Vista 64, i7, 6GB Ram, Crossfire (2x4850) system, so I can reliable run at +8 sim speed on the largest maps with full teams at the giants stage.

The problem seems to be induced by FRAPS: The game will slow to speeds that feel like -2 to -5, with occasional jumps to normal speed for a few seconds when FRAPS is running AND an AI is present in the game. I have not noticed this before v1.19, but have since seen it in single player, game hosted by me with only AI present, and a custom game that I did not host where someone dropped out. In game my sim speed is always shown as +10 and I typically have good pings (<200). Has anyone else seen this issue? It is easy to fix by closing FRAPS. However, I always keep FRAPS on when playing custom or pantheon games, so someone leaving and being replaced by an AI can cause issues.

Thanks for any input!

+4 Karma | 6 Replies
September 27, 2009 3:28:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So they improved the AI?

September 27, 2009 6:09:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol, I wouldn't complain if that was the issue

I was mainly wondering if anyone else had seen this, or if this was just some oddity with my computer. Should be more than powerful enough to handle anything that this game can throw at it, especially since I built it with Forged Alliance and what will be SupCom2 in mind. 

Update: Is no longer limited to AI. I must turn fraps off when playing period... I'm thinking it is not a problem with Demigod, otherwise others would have complained by now.

September 27, 2009 7:41:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm currently experimenting with Demigod and FRAPs, and apart from the usual slight dip you receive when capturing video, I can't say I've noticed a severe decrease in performance when using FRAPs at all.

September 27, 2009 8:54:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have found out that my issue is actually with the FPS overlay. Seems odd that that would screw up my sim speeds, but if I disable the overlay, everything runs smooth as butter even with fraps running in the background.

September 28, 2009 12:48:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now that IS strange... can't say I've ever run into that before. Glad you got it sorted, though.

September 30, 2009 4:52:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Could be caused by the Crossfire setup. Since you mentioned that it happens when the overlay is on, maybe your GPU's get entangled by some weird synching voodoo.

Good rig btw

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.