The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Gamers: Are we getting soft?

A discussion of the difficulty level of video games

By on September 24, 2009 6:45:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I recently purchased the original Unreal as, to my shame, I had never actually played it up until this point. It was a bit of a landmark title for it's day and was the graphical powerhouse to beat upong it's release, though it seems to have been forgotten in favour of it's larger, multiplayer brother Unreal Tournament. But, for a mere AU$5.00, I thought 'why not?'.

Now, I've been a gamer for nearly two decades and have played through some fairly difficult titles and have all but exhausted the FPS genre, so naturally I bump the difficulty level up to 'Unreal'. I like to be challenged, and I eat console FPSs for breakfast. Funnily enough, I was challenged - however, not just by the combat. The difficult adjusts the damage dealt and received, and in some places the number of opponents, however it doesn't change the level make up - and this is where I found Unreal to be the most challenging. Simply finding my way around some of the End-game levels was a lot more difficult than I had thought, and puzzles were down right head-scratch worthy. At first, I thought this was simply bad game design - a few had me stumped for quite a while - and a bit of a commentary on the progression the quality of the Video Games industry. Until I played it's sequel, Unreal II: The Awakening. While Unreal's difficulty was in it's 'puzzles' and combat, Unreal II basically handed you some guns and gave you things to shoot. I cleared Unreal in around 18 hours and was challenged quite often, however Unreal II took half that and provided literally no challenge of any kind.

Looking back at other games such as Half-Life, which was absolutely challenging - and still is, and their sequels such as Half-Life 2, which was better designed but was also a lot less challenging except for one or two moments, I feel that as time has progressed, games have gotten easier as a whole. Now, I'm not just talking about the dumbing down of game mechanics, I mean the actual challenge presented by the games of today. Looking back at the generations of yester-year, games like Sonic basically required you to memorise the entire game and be able to finish it without dying or making many mistakes. Flash forward to today, and games like Prince of Persia actually remove the ability to fail completely. Literally, you're unable not to succeed in that game. Is this something we asked for? Is this the natural evolution of our medium? In my humble opinion, no. Looking back at those older games, it was quite the achievement to finish one because of the challenge it presented. Seeing the ending sequence was the product of hours of hardwork and dedication, but boy did it feel good when you did it. If weren't good enough to be able to finish the game, you had to practice until you were. I remember weeks in front of a game called The Ninja on the Sega Master System II, and finishing it was one of the fondest memories I have as a kid because My Uncle and I spend hours memorising and practicing that game until we had it down cold. Sure, there were moments of frustration, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun.

This isn't just for lower-scoring games like Unreal II, however. Look at some of the biggest and best on the market, like Bioshock, and we can see this as well. Bioshock featured Vita-Life chambers, where upon death you'd be respawned instantly and off you go again. If you had half killed something, it remained half-dead while you were returned to full health and able to beat it to death with your wrench at no penalty. That is, if you died - the combat wasn't terribly difficult at it's normal setting anyway, and even at it's full difficulty the real challenge came from ammo conservation rather than from the difficulty of your opponents, a trick Resident Evil used to great effect back on the original Playstation. And yet, Resident Evil was still harder than Bioshock. There is obviously a fine line to walk between challenging and frustrating, but why are so many games failing to deliver the challenge that older games packed in spades?

Maybe I'm a rare breed, but I think finishing a game should be something to proud of - something you actually have to put some effort into, however with that effort comes the pay off of the feeling of success. When I finished Unreal, I actually felt good, despite the ending being nothing more than a "you escaped - to be continued" screen. Compare this to Call of Duty 4, Bioshock or even Unreal II, where finish it generated more of a 'meh' than a fist-in-the-air-fuck-yeah! Is this the way the industry is headed as Video Games become more and more mainstream and make more and more money? Or should every person who picks up the game have a right to finish it without putting little to no effort in to it? Is the End Screen a right, or a privilege?

+115 Karma | 119 Replies
September 28, 2009 4:15:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

ZehDon, it appears that we have different definitions of "difficult", and are not going to convince each other to change.  I think we should probably just agree to disagree

September 28, 2009 5:57:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wouldn't say I found any FPS extremely difficult since many of them have not really progressed past the doom level of engineering, theres been like maybe 5 that I've actually enjoyed in the last 15 years, 3 Being Unreal Titles, The other being Red Faction because of their use of the destructable enviroment, and Hidden & Dangerous. other then that, its heres 9 weapons go kill a bunch of crap the only challenge really being the speed at which your capable of moving the mouse and knowing the weapon physic's. I think the only real difference's in the game in the last 20 years has been the addition of weapons with alt fires, and vehicles. so basically more weapons to use, I find the FPS genre of games more of an interactive way to test your PC's capability's rather then an actual game simply because there is no real depth to them,. course Its just my opinion. I really would have liked FPS to evolve more in the last 20 years, I meen at least the original Counterstrike had some difficulty and challenge to it.

September 28, 2009 6:06:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting LegacyCWAL,
ZehDon, it appears that we have different definitions of "difficult", and are not going to convince each other to change.  I think we should probably just agree to disagree

But it's infinently more enjoyable for the rest of us if it turns into a forum cat-fight...

About puzzles in an FPS, no matter what you do to current shooters, most of which attempting to seem 'realistic', puzzles will be out of place.

You have to remember that suspension of disbelief is disappearing (hence the reason for the speedy development of graphics engines) If i buy a shooter, i don't want a random box stacking, key finding, ingredient combining, or seesaw physics puzzle to happen every 5 min in between combat... i want more combat.

How immersive is it when you confront a challenging puzzle that you must think about not as a huge man with a gun, but as a classical scholar trained for years in deductive reasoning? If there is a locked door, let me blow it apart or kill some people and unlock it, don't make me run around in circles for hours ALONE trying to find what i missed. Now, if you had to open that door while fighting off waves of enemies, that is good, but when you do that all the time it gets old.

Strategy games arent challenging anymore because an AI cannot match a seasoned player, so people go online, and that leads to games being designed for online play.

Zeh, i understand your position and it is valid, but an "action" game cannot have a sticking point at every puzzle or no one will play it.

September 28, 2009 8:12:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Didn't think this would go this far. Many games may have been utterly dumbed down for console but that dosn't mean pc games of old were perfect.

Its not about difficulty. Games never had to be difficult. I and many others enjoy games that make us think, or force us to learn. Challange us at timing, or tactics or stratergy or design or knowladge, or memory or whatever.

The things I liked about games when I started 'gaming' remain the same, my tastes might be more refined as I discover new things and discard old things that nolonger fill a purpose anymore.

A good example is when I was say 12 I had ideas of grand sci-fi battlezones with huge open areas and hundreds of indavidual units... Oh looky Operation Flashpoint and Planetside (WWII online dosn't have the features for my interest - I like getting in and out of my vehicles thanks). There were several games I used to 'fill the void' before these games were out. Always wanting more from games like UT.

I REALLY enjoyed Prince of Persia (new one), I even collected all the light seeds the reason because I like the platform action - but I UTTERLY HATE redoing crap I've already done. I don't make a mistake in MS Word and freaking delete the whole last paragraph! Another reason I liked it over the Original Proper 3D Remake (sands of time) is the characters are WAAAAAY more intersting, not standard good-ass naive idiots who blunder into traps as a freaking JOB DESCRIPTION!

Anyway, Remove the TEDIUM - Retain the Challange, the Depth or whatever it is that your game does. That is what I want developers (PC at least) to follow. MMOs are a great example. I purposly AVOIDED EQ1s horrible game design, I was there for EQ2s however and it was an improvment but after WoW was released it MASSIVELY changed. They suddenly had good ideas about game design! Funny how it takes Blizzard to take thier ideas and remove the stupid bits for them to realise what exactly people PAY FOR.

I hated Dizzy. Oh how I hate Dizzy - No save points? No way of PROGRESSING? "What. The. Fuck." That would be todays average gamer's response to Dizzy and many other games mentioned in this thread. I Don't like that kind of gameplay. Not many people watch a DVD of say, X-Files and every FREAKING time they stop watching, they are forced to go right BACK TO THE START and watch all those endings with no explanation AGAIN! A-freaking-GAIN!! NO! BAD!

I doubt anyone will read this, never mind this far but this turned into a rant so I should probably complete it.

I really like the direction of modern PC game design. Stuff like Mount and Blade, ArmA2, Stratergy games like Sins or Elemental, MMOs like Age of Conan (If only just for face meet hammer moments). And loads of other PC focused stuff.

The console port stuff is good fun also but they rarely are as exciting to play. (One big excepetion is Batman, wow such production values! Loads of gadgets and IT STILL HAS BUGS! Just like a REAL PC game! )

To sum up, no gamers are not soft, they are just more inteligent with the expenditure of thier time now. And for the other, side, issue of PC gameing dying... WTF? PC Games are just starting to get REALLY good.

(I went so massivley offtopic in this rant.. lol... Anyway My point about most of this is with a bit of creativity you can get the level of challange you want form most things - I duoed most of WoW including even level group zones with a badly equipped tank/healer combo (me and a friend). These were WAY more interesting and much harder than the heroic dungons with a party full of morons OR awesome players. Staying in a dungeon, trying and trying until we are victorius for hours on end is FUN for me, maybe not your anyone else but no one can say that wasn't difficult because it was for ME. It was exactly what we wanted from the game!)

September 28, 2009 8:35:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Mogmoogle,
I wouldn't say I found any FPS extremely difficult since many of them have not really progressed past the doom level of engineering, theres been like maybe 5 that I've actually enjoyed in the last 15 years, 3 Being Unreal Titles, The other being Red Faction because of their use of the destructable enviroment, and Hidden & Dangerous. other then that, its heres 9 weapons go kill a bunch of crap the only challenge really being the speed at which your capable of moving the mouse and knowing the weapon physic's. I think the only real difference's in the game in the last 20 years has been the addition of weapons with alt fires, and vehicles. so basically more weapons to use, I find the FPS genre of games more of an interactive way to test your PC's capability's rather then an actual game simply because there is no real depth to them,. course Its just my opinion. I really would have liked FPS to evolve more in the last 20 years, I meen at least the original Counterstrike had some difficulty and challenge to it.

You should really play pre-Vegas Rainbow Six or pre-AW Ghost Recon then. Both make Counter-Strike feel like Quake by comparison (and, incidentally, would be great additions to the Impulse library. C'mon, Ubisoft!). Or perhaps one of the FPS/RPG hybrids like Deus Ex and System Shock, personally I didn't like them much despite being a fan of both FPSs and RPGs, but they have quite a following precisely for the depth of their gameplay.

Other than that, I stand by my point: puzzles should be left for adventure and puzzle games, leave FPSs to the one thing they do best: shooting stuff. Which is why I'd recommend all of you, puzzle-lovers, to check out the Penumbra series (*another* game that should be sold here, it even has a freakin' Linux version yet it's not on Impulse!?) which can be best described as a first-person adventure/horror game which you'll probably love. Me, I got too nervous an hour into it and left it there unfinished, but ye corageous lot may have better luck

September 28, 2009 8:42:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DraekAlmasy,
Other than that, I stand by my point: puzzles should be left for adventure and puzzle games, leave FPSs to the one thing they do best: shooting stuff. Which is why I'd recommend all of you, puzzle-lovers, to check out the Penumbra series (*another* game that should be sold here, it even has a freakin' Linux version yet it's not on Impulse!?) which can be best described as a first-person adventure/horror game which you'll probably love. Me, I got too nervous an hour into it and left it there unfinished, but ye corageous lot may have better luck

An interesting point about Arma2 and DoWII is that the puzzles you solve in these games are tactical puzzles. How to defeat the enemy in an open free form world. Thats what makes those games (stretching right back to before UFO: Enemy Unkown) so good, and is why Arma2 can't be conidered a 'shooter'.

September 28, 2009 10:33:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not saying I don't play FPS games I'm just saying of all the genre's its the one I am least satisfied with, I did play rainbow six, Deus Ex was kinda boring to me, And I hated fallout 3 because I wandered around the city killing stuff for like 12 hours, looking for my dad, I was like when is this game going to get to the point. I never found him. I would still be looking but now I'm playing a few other games. so no time to look for dad.

Maybe Dad will make an appearance in Elemental, 

October 1, 2009 8:22:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find this to be more of the exception than the rule; Halo 3, Gears of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico - these are some of the big names of the last few years, and I finished all of them in less than 6 hours.

The thing about Shadow of the Colossus and Ico is that they were more created for people with Lit majors (like the friend that introduced me to them) than anyone else, who may or may not be into gaming. As such, the challenge was low and the game lasted just long enough to tell the story. Anways, these are more the exception than the rule.

However, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself in my zealous fanboy rush to defend SotC and Ico. The way I see it is that there are multiple types of 'hardcore' gamers, who all have different opinions of difficulty, 'good' gameplay, and storytelling. Different breeds require different blends of each, and while ZehDon and I tend to agree in our preferences, there are plenty of people out there who decide quite differently, as Legacy was quick to point out. As an example, I feel that changing an enemy's health and damage to make the fight difficult is an example of "artificial" difficulty increases. Clever AI, challenging puzzles, and ammo conservation, on the other hand, are more interesting, a source of a real challenge that doesn't feel frustrating, or, quite frankly, stupid. However, the flip side of that coin is that there are many people who feel that this is a perfectly reasonable way to increase a game's challenge, and indeed gimping the AI or removing some puzzles in easier difficulties would serve only to limit the depth of the game for the less-capable crowd. There are also those who find very little place for a puzzle in an action game, and indeed in many games (Gears of War) a difficult puzzle would feel out of place.

[A brief history of the Evolution of Videogames follows, be warned that it slowly devolves into a rant. Please use multiple sources when researching gaming history ]

Back in the olden days of the arcade, a game was designed to be difficult in absolutely any way possible (pleasing the second type of person I described in the previous paragraph), because as soon as you died you had to put in another quarter if you wished to continue playing, hence the term "quarter eater" for a remarkably difficult game. As time moved on, games appeared less and less on arcade machines. Difficulty became less of a necessity, but remained in games because AI was easy to code, games could hold very little information (lasted maybe a few hours), etc.

However, as time went along its merry and irreversable course, games became more complex. AI programming took a sharp difficulty increase with the introduction of 3D and FPS game types. Games became able to hold longer campaigns, multiplayer slowly poked its head into the doorway, and more and more 'casual' gamers entered the mix. However, during the time of the SNES-PS1, gaming was still relatively small compared to other industries, and so difficulty remained moderate.

However, with the advent of the Diablo and Diablo II, we saw a change in the way difficulty could be produced. A game could be stretched into a "super RPG" through the use of long "grind" sessions. Now mind you, Diablo was an amazingly difficult game on the higher difficulty levels (to anyone who's played Hardcore mode, R.I.P. R.I.P. R.I.P. R.I.P. R.I.P. R.I.P. R.I.P. R.I.P. R.I.P.) Many MMO's took the grinding aspect of Diablo and similar games, and used it to replace the actual challenge of combat and weaponization. About this time, the first generation of Hardcore Gamers began to find less and less time for gaming. Enter the next console generation, epitomized by the XBox.

It was with this generation that we found the major cases of what I would like to dub "EA syndrome". That is, large numbers of easy, bad games designed for mass consumption. Part of this was the advent of the casual gamer, part of this was games taking the same difficulty curve as the standard MMO (remember that recent and popular MMO's remained fairly simple until one hit max level and started doing "epic" quests), and part of this was the simply the fact that many games were produced unfinished or badly done, with half baked AI and outrageously bad level design. As these games became more and more normative, particularly for liscensed games or those designed for children, companies that did not care about the quality of their games began to not only limit the amount of skill required to complete the single player campaign (with the added excuse of online multiplayer for many FPS, strategy, etc type games). Sadly, we come to the current console generation with many games that are half baked ripoffs and sequels.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit bleak, but perhaps that's because the majority of the gaming industry, like the majority of the publishing and film industry, simply doesn't care about quality. If you produce enough, some well-meaning grandparent will buy it. So where does that leave us, the hardcore gamers?

Fortunately, just like blockbuster film crews and good authors, there are good game developers and publishers. Stardock is clearly one of them. Provided we choose games we enjoy, which we feel do not epitomize the threat of the decline of the industry, and shun those which clearly do, we will always have a few good and difficult games which we can lean on. [/end rant]

October 2, 2009 5:11:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So my earlier pointless ramble can be summed up like this:

Difficulty is not absolute and is only important when the player enjoys it (otherwise its called torture).

The rise of easier games to us hardcore'er' gamers is because the market has found a load of gamers whos idea of difficulty is remembering the button to press. (Dhara O'brien on Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe proves that point!)

Real gamers (anyone who played Diablo 1 is considered by the casual crwod to be ultra hardcore now btw) still have games made for them, and you can customise most to your likeing (Like the permadeath insane modes).

Just like the people who like manualy tuning thier radio in, that time has moved on. If you still like that you can still do that but no one else does and your never going to be the mainstream again.

October 2, 2009 5:46:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Real gamers (anyone who played Diablo 1 is considered by the casual crwod to be ultra hardcore now btw) still have games made for them, and you can customise most to your likeing (Like the permadeath insane modes).

Somehow I imagined being hardcore would feel more... I don't know... Pimpley?

October 2, 2009 6:56:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gamers: Are we getting soft?

Yes

most people can't handle loosing in a game.

October 2, 2009 7:06:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting janlm,
most people can't handle loosing in a game.

Very true!

October 2, 2009 9:50:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This, I think, fits nicely in the discussion.

October 2, 2009 11:56:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Aractain,

Real gamers (anyone who played Diablo 1 is considered by the casual crwod to be ultra hardcore now btw) still have games made for them, and you can customise most to your likeing (Like the permadeath insane modes)..

I...I think this is the first time anybody has described me as being ultra-hardcore

What if we played Diablo 1 without duping a GPoW?  Is that ultra-ultra hardcore? 

October 2, 2009 6:01:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One form of 'difficulty' I hate is lack of saving oppertunities. In does not in fact increase difficulty at all, it just makes it very frustrating to play the same part over and over again to get to the hard part.

October 2, 2009 6:17:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I played and loved Diablo 1 and 2. I do not consider myself a hardcore gamer as I am not such a snob that I feele the need to label people in such a way. I think the ability to scale difficulty now is great, and have no regrets about that choice for the industry. If you want to be punished, scale it up. No, we're not getting soft. There are more choices now and for some reason, that makes some people really unhappy.

October 2, 2009 7:55:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think anyone's saying the option for an easier difficulty is a problem so much as the lack of true challenges on harder difficulties of many of today's games.

October 2, 2009 8:29:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
I don't think anyone's saying the option for an easier difficulty is a problem so much as the lack of true challenges on harder difficulties of many of today's games.

Except that is entirely subjective. True Challenge? What challenges me and the type of challenge that challenges me isn't going to be the same for you. I really think people are just looking for nostalgia moments from the days when you could get halfway through a game and either hit the game over screen or your mother would yank the plug? It's not the pursuit of a true challenge that I object to but this ridiculous termonology. Hardcore gamer. Casual Gamer. Nonesense. There are games that are casual games. There are games that are really difficult and gamers play either or both. We're all gamers.

October 3, 2009 5:35:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What I'm talking about when I say "true challenge" is a game that is difficult for a person to play, but feels satisfying to complete rather than irritating and tedious. An example of a tedious challenge (for me) is a boss with an incredibly simple mechanic to defeat him--but for which the mechanic must be done six jillion times. Jumps in platformers that require absolutely perfect, frame-by-frame timing also fall into this category for me. Games that have strategic depth, however, or puzzles that follow a logical, but difficult path are, by my definitions, a "true challenge".

Naturally what feels tedious for some may feel like a real challenge for another, as I've stated in previous posts. However, many people feel that the amount of challenging segments even in the harder difficulties of games is decreasing; and for mainstream gaming, they seem to be correct.

Edit: As for Casual gamers, the terminology is not rediculous. People who play very few videogames play them casually. People who play games frequently are "hardcore". While there should not be such animosity between the two as there tends to be, to refuse to admit that we are not a homogenous group would be foolish.

October 3, 2009 4:29:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,

Naturally what feels tedious for some may feel like a real challenge for another, as I've stated in previous posts. However, many people feel that the amount of challenging segments even in the harder difficulties of games is decreasing; and for mainstream gaming, they seem to be correct.

Edit: As for Casual gamers, the terminology is not rediculous. People who play very few videogames play them casually. People who play games frequently are "hardcore". While there should not be such animosity between the two as there tends to be, to refuse to admit that we are not a homogenous group would be foolish.

And many don't feel that way. When I gew up playing video games, it was not a given that if i talked to someone about a game, they would have even a slight idea as to what I am talking about. Now, almost everyone I know has given a game or two a try. My aunt plays video games every day, 2-3 hours a day, they are casual games she plays. Under your definition, she is a hardcore gamer. One of my great aunt's plays even more than that, she likes poker games, guess she is a hardcore gamer too. Some nights, I don't play at all, other days all day.

These are dumbass labels that don't even have agreed upon defnitions. I am sure you are going to change your definition now so they exclude the other too which is what everyone does. You point out how someone who plays Pogo.com for 2-3 hours a day, loved the Rollercoaster Tycoon series too fits a definition of hardcore gamer, then chests puff up and, fists get pounding and the definition has to be changed. They're stupid labels.  And many players missing the glory days of their youth is not most players. I think the real problem is that mainstream games don't challenge some of you, and rather than be satisfied with games that arent' as mainstream, not WoW, not Sims, not Guitar Hero, but the thousands of other games available, it's just more fun to sit back and label other gamers and bitch about it.

October 3, 2009 8:45:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm sensing a bit of hostility, Nesrie, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on it. Also, the list of people who 'break' my definition do not break it at all, because as you said, they play a few games, but play them a lot. Now I could change my definition and go on with this battle with you for years and years, but the fact is your very posting proves the existance of 'casual' gamers. What is and isn't a casual gamer is readily apparent to most of us, despite the fact that, for brevity's sake, we all list short definitions rather than a complex legal term.

not WoW, not Sims, not Guitar Hero, but the thousands of other games available, it's just more fun to sit back and label other gamers and bitch about it.

Now the problem is, rather than simply state a point, you chose to attack me directly. A shame really, because you also managed to fail to recognize that I (and many gamers who have posted here) play -none- of those games. I look for games that bring something new to the table, or are artistic or challenging, and above all, that I find will be fun and require only a reasonable sum of money to earn. However, the trend in gaming is for games to get simpler and quicker, across the board. As I don't have a lot of money to throw on this particular hobby, I don't really like this. In fact, as games grow more expensive as well as quicker and easier, we see less and less good titles out as they're rushed out the door to make a profit. Whether you're casual or hardcore doesn't make a difference, because ultimately the entire industry may suffer if this trend continues.

Now you can go on and on about how oppressed the casual gamer is, but to be honest, I don't think the casuals would really care about what a hardcore gamer thinks of them. It's just some nerd who plays a lot of videogames.

October 3, 2009 11:05:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the benefits of this discussion, let's agree on the following definitions:

Gamer - Someone who plays video games. Also, a bad movie.
Hardcore Gamer - Plays video games all day, every day, often neglecting other aspects of their life to do so.
Core Gamer - Plays video games as their primary source of entertainment. They play games like most people watch TV.
Casual Gamer - Plays video games on an infrequent basis.

You can argue that these are incorrect labels and seek only to divide people, however I call them fair and honest assessments - I don't want to play a multiplayer titles with little boys and girls who can't keep up in a game of Demigod or Counter-Strike any more than they want to play a game they have no chance of winning, much in the same way that I want a 3,000 hour RPG Epic where each and every piece of furniture has 50 pages of lore to explain it's existence, while they probably want something digestible in small chuncks that they can actually finish.

Much in the same way as TV Shows have their core demographic, video games have their demographics. Some companies and individuals harbour the belief that the entire Industry is a single demographic - look at Australia's complete lack of an R rating for Video Games, for example - and by targetting this magic group of people you suddenly make billions of dollars. However, in fact, the Video Game industry is probably made up of more demographics than any other entertainment medium, thanks to the efforts of companies like Nintendo, targeting the Casual Gamer who used to be neglected, and companies like Blizzard, who cater almost exclusively to the Hardcore Gamer.

The problem has arisen, and the existence of this thread is evidence to this, that too many companies have begun targeting the Casual Gamer demographic and begun neglecting the Hardcore and Core Gamers. I've discussed this multiple times, but basically Casual Gamers often purchase newly released titles, play for a while, and migrate on to another new release. They see everything the game has to offer, or get bored, and move on. Core and Hardcore gamers often find a game they really, really like and play it until they've worn the installed sectors off of their hard drives. These Core and Hardcore gamers keep communities alive and prospering, because they make the fan made content and are there, night after night and day after day, playing the games they love. The lack of these gamers causes many games to experience short lived bursts, like SPORE which has seen a dramatic drop in player made content after the initial hype and release wore off.

Now, we have a problem here when Casual Gamers believe that every game should cater to them - they've spent their hard earnt money and they should have the right to be able to finish it. The simple truth it, they don't. This is like watching an homage to silent films of the by-gone film era and then complaining that the movie is in black and white and has no sound. There is more money to be had from the Casual Game demographic because it's simply a larger Demographic, however titles that appeal to the Casual Gamer do not often appeal to the Hardcore Gamers and vice versa - thus we're currently experiencing a shift in the industry and it's causing issues because the Hardcore gamers are tired of games that need to be accessible and easier to appeal to the vast majority so that their developers can make some money, and as we were once the Golden Children it feels a little cold that now that Video Games are mass market and popullar - well, nearly - the people who brought it from the basements to the leading entertainment medium on the planet are being neglected in favour of profits. Yes, we still have titles catered to us exclusively, and always will have, the problem is that in the process of becoming 'accessible' our favourite games and franchies which have a fond place in our memories are being destroyed so Casual Gamers can 'enjoy' them for a few minutes before they move on to the next release.

You can argue that these terms aren't real, and that we're all Gamers - and it's true, we are all Gamers here - the problem is that now everyone is racing to compete for the Casual Gamer's interest to make their money, and in doing so they're failing to provide for the rest of us. Video Games have become Hollywood.

October 4, 2009 12:45:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I never ever said that casual gamers were oppressed. You both are putting words into my mouth because that is how you FEEL not what I said. I am saying they are completely miss labeled. According to both defintiions given, someone who plays everyday for hours at a time is NOT a casual gamer. Nowhere in your defintiion did you specify TYPE of game, only frequency of play. And here you are, both of yo complaining about games being made for casual gamers not that so many of them are playing. Under that defnition, the definition you two are using, most the casual games are not being played by casual gamers since many of them play them every day for 1+ hours and a variety of games at that (not just one). That's the problem. Some self proclaimed hardcore gamers label themselves so they can be snobs towards other players who, under their OWN defintition, don't even fit the definition being given to them.

As for Video games becoming Hollywood, please. There are more choices now than ever. There are more companies creating games than ever before. I think some people just want to make complex game a rare commodity that it is not.

I guess I feel the playground has expanded and it's good sport to share the playing field. I am certainly not a casual gamer (under your definition or anyone else's), but I learned how to respect people different from myself awhile ago.

October 4, 2009 1:41:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Before I begin, the hostile tone to your posts isn't really warranted at all - no one is attacking anyone here, and I'd appreciate it if we remain civil towards one another in this thread. If this is simply impossible for you to do, then I'll request that this thread be locked because I'd rather this didn't devolve into a flame war.

Quoting Nesrie,
I never ever said that casual gamers were oppressed. You both are putting words into my mouth because that is how you FEEL not what I said. I am saying they are completely miss labeled. According to both defintiions given, someone who plays everyday for hours at a time is NOT a casual gamer. No where in your defintiion did you specify TYPE of game. Only frequency of play. And here you are, both of yo complaining about games being made for casual games not that so many of them are playing. Under that defnition, the definition you two are using, most the casual games are not being played by casual gamers. That's the problem. Some self proclaimed hardcore gamers label themselves so they can be snobs towards other players who, under their OWN defintition, don't even fit the definition being given to them.

I didn't say Casual Gamers were oppressed - I said they were neglected. If you don't think that this is the case, then you simply don't understand the history of our medium. What started as a casual affair - with arcade machines - became a hardcore affair with the arrival of home consoles. As you were spending hundreds of dollars for simplistic graphics, games were often difficult or long to ensure that you received your monies worth. Ask anyone about the original Phantasy Star and they'll explain to you a game that was involved and difficult; you had to invest a lot of time to see it through. Now, we're heading back to Casual territory after years of producing seemingly Hardcore titles, but for all the wrong reasons.

I did list the definition of a Casual game in my second paragraph and gave an example of one such Hardcore game - a 3,000 hour RPG (such as Disgaea: Hour of Darkness) - that a Casual player wouldn't want to play because of their infrequent play schedule demanding roughly 8 1/5 years to complete it - at one hour play per day. A Casual Game is one that adheres to this - a game that allows a player to pick up the controller, play for 20 minutes at a time over a few days and complete the game. They require no investment of time due to the demographic that they are targetting. However, because you never have to invest in the game, you receive no return when finishing it - the experience is hollowed out. I made mention of this in my opening argument; the feeling of success. This alienates the Hardcore crowd - and in an attempt to cash in on the Casual Gamer, companies are churning out nothing but Casual Gamer focused titles, leaving the rest of us wondering what happened.

Casual Gamers often buy more games than Hardcore Gamers - they play them to completion and move on. They really are the driving force of the industry - they're also the driving force behind companies like EA Games' approach to making everything more 'accessible' so that everyone can play it and 'win teh game' which in turn alienates the Hardcore gamers, not because of their elitism rather simply because spending AU$120 on a title only to finish it in 6 hours doesn't appeal to us. If they made brand new franchises for Casual Games that sit along side the ones dedicated to Hardcore gamers, there wouldn't be a problem - the issue is that nearly all franchies are becoming more 'accessible' and driving away the fans of the series. Oblivion, for example, introduced Fast Travel for people who didn't want to walk abouts in the amazing virtual world they created. This was an attempt to make the game more accessible - however, this is like removing the driving segments of a driving game, in my opinion. Now, in this case it's not an issue, I simply elect not to use the Fast Travel. Games like Bioshock - the spiritual successor to the scariest game of all time, System Shock 2 - for example, removed the inventory screen to make the game more accessible - or Casual Friendly - so that the game appeared as a shooter... with plasmids. This actually damaged the flow of the game, because you simply couldn't tell what you were holding. Combined with the Vita-Life chambers mentioned in my original post, and you had a game that had far too much hand holding that actually made the game worse, and no way to stop it - unlike the Fast Travel system in Oblivion. Note that the option to turn off the game's Vita-Life Chambers - which was listed as an entirely new difficulty level at it's inclusion - was patched into the game at the request of the player base. This offers further evidence that this is an actual issue, not something constructed by elitest gamers who like to stroke their e-peen - the fans of the game actually requested that the game be made harder.

Quoting Nesrie,
As for Video games becoming Hollywood, please. There are more choices now than ever. There are more companies creating games than ever before. I think some people just want to make complex game a rare commodity that it is not.

The only choices people like me have are Fan made mods that amp things up a notch - not available on consoles - and the independant developer scene because the titles on the shelves today are all Casual Games. Halo Wars was a bastard child of AoE that removed everything apart from issuing orders to your troops, which is about a third of what a Real Time Strategy Game should be. Call of Duty 2 introduced the Regen-Health system from Halo, which not only made dying almost impossible, completely destroyed the original, historical setting the series was known for. Other than titles such as these, we receive roughly one 'hardcore', or difficult, game for every 3 casual games, assuming that another of our favourite franchies hasn't been butchered so that it's more 'accessible'. I still weep for SPORE.
There is so little variety that I actually made a thread some time ago about Playstation Emulation, because I've played all the PC titles I can find that provide a challenge. I even bought a Playstation 2 so that I can experience them properly - that's how sad the gaming situation has become; I ventured back to the previous generation's titles so that I can purchase all of it's difficult games, and even then I only own 11 titles of the some 4,000 titles released for the Playstation 2.

Quoting Nesrie,
I guess I feel the playground has expanded and it's good sport to share the playing field. I am certainly not a casual gamer (under your definition or anyone else's), but I learned how to respect people different from myself awhile ago.

Your personal attacks are neither welcome nor warranted.
A better example would be that we were good sports and did share the playing field for a sport we invented, now we're being asked to step off the field and go home rather than play with the new kids who out number us.

October 4, 2009 2:09:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Go ahead and ask it to be locked if you like. You are the one that is stating if I don't see it your way, it's the highway. Just look at what you wrote. Aka, if you disagree with me then you don't know what you are talking about. How exactly is that respestable?

Quoting ZehDon,
If you don't think that this is the case, then you simply don't understand the history of our medium.

Yes, I know they were neglected, not just neglected, ignored and shut in the closet like they didn't exist. Developers and publishes dismissed them right along their female gamers. And now, instead of the publishers doing it, it's the guys that were catered to begin with that want their glory days back.

Here is the problem I have with Casual Gamer and Hardcore Gamer mentalities. most gamers are in between. Most people who have jobs don't spend 10 hours as day playing a game in the middle of the work week like they might have done when school was the priority. A lot of people switch readily between strategy games like Galc II and Civ IV and simpler games like World of Goo and FPS games that can be fun in 30 minute-1 hour and feel fulfilling. So what is the real purpose of the label when they come up, often to dismiss casual gamers as a bunch of house wives who don't know anything about computers and only play tetris, which by the way, when Tetris came out it was hardly considered a "casual game." And what do Hardcore gamers often demand, games that push their computers to the limit that are not necessarily worth the cardboard box they are shoved in (talking retail here). They are certainly not selling benchmarking technology to the other camp are they?

I certainly didnt attack you personally, and I am not going to. If you feel that you are a hardcore gamer that doesn't want to share the playground, then that's your feelings on the matter, not mine. If you are not one of those individuals, then I am not referring to you am I? Just look any Wii article that shows up on any gaming site. Pages and pages of threads of people who hate that the Wii exists because they feel it takes something from them. I think there is a serious amount of selfishness involved with people who hate a medium other people enjoy and act as if the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC don't exist alongside it.

It's the attitude I hate, not the complainst: that somehow if you disagree with someone you "don't know the medium" like I do; you don't love the medium like I do; you don't deserve to speak out about the medium like I do. I loved Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, very disappointed with III. I loved Master of Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic II and III, hated HOMM V. Spore was awful, and you know what, i was very verbal against those games and voted with my wallet for what they did. Spore had great potential and they destroyed it. But I do not walk over to my aunt and tell her that casual gamers are less than I am, that somehow I am more entitled to games than she is. I don't blame her for publishers or developers catering to her either. She pays 60 dollars or something like that for a year of POGO and access to more games and badges. It makes her happy. She enjoys games. We can talk about them on occasion and you know what, more power to her for being a gamer. I also don't hate the consoles that I don't own. I don't shake my fist at the sky and wonder why games that I don't enjoy exist (there are tons of them after all).

You want games that cater to your tastes. I don't blame you, we all do. But guess where wars between us and them lead us, nowhere. Absolutely no where. The US and THEM camps are being set and while we're bickering with each other over who deserves more attention, don't even get me started at how neglected female gamers are in the so called hardcore camp, nothing gets done and the publishers just pump out crap and fix them with expansion packs and microtrans instead of free patches. You're not the only ones disappointed here but guess what you've moved from the Majority camp to the Minority camp, welcome to the club. I've been here for awhile, and I don't spend every gaming moment hating the guys who dominate the playing field (unless they prove themselves to be real jerks) and wishing i was 15 years younger again  (back when games were expected to last more then 10 hours) and glowering at the other camp from my side of the field.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.