The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Help me improve my Oak game

By on September 23, 2009 10:15:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not sure what etiqutte is regarding advertising our replays so here goes.  I just posted a 3v3 Cataract game where forces of light seem to have a significant advantage up to end game where forces of dark permalock our portals and giants smash the citadel.  I'd love if anyone could take a look at it and offer some tips (other than "don't let them lock your portals").  While teamwork tips are nice, since this a game w/ random folks in a lobby I'm most interested in my (Oak) performance specifically .  Thanks!

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=96346

+1 Karma | 10 Replies
September 23, 2009 10:16:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will look at this for you. Oak and I have a special relationship ever since Frogboy left him.

September 23, 2009 10:59:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I watched this purely from your perspective. Overall, you're definitely a good team mate, BUT...

At 6:00 you made a wrong turn on your team's right side. Never ever ever go towards the middle on Cataract while retreating. Make sure to always go through the portals.

At 7:00 you pulled a Rambo and shocked me that you actually got out alive =P Never beam into 2 demigods >.>

At 9:50 you had about 2500 gold which should have been spent on Nimoth or Unbreakable Boots. I feel you were not splicing minions into Oak's build effectively.

At 10:42 you bought Hauberk of Light and Seige Archers. Again, I feel you really weren't splicing your minions into your build very well. Hauberk of Life thus wasn't very useful.

At about 30:00 you could have bought Buildings 4. This may have changed the game.

I didn't really like your build. You played a pure assassin Oak with minions on the side. Your items just did not reflect this strategy. It can work but it doesn't work as well as it could if you put more effort into playing a general. Assassin really needs devotion. There are hybrid possibilities for Oak, but you should discover that for yourself. Demigod is just as much psychological as it is actually mechanics. A minion swarm is very intimidating.

You also bought Narmoth's Ring. It only got you about +18 per life steal. Was that really worth it?

You spend a ton of money on consumables. A lot of your teleports were wasted. Try not to go overboard on them.

The absolute worst thing I noticed is that you kept Banded Armor and Scale Mail the entire game. You got to upgrade those down the line.

Also, don't be afraid to try other favor items besides Blood of the Fallen. Its a good item in PUG games, but in team on team its not nearly as effective.

I really hope this helps you.

September 23, 2009 11:22:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keeping busy Poly!  Nice of you to take a look and help Bolange out!. 

September 23, 2009 11:32:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so but a couple things.

1.) If you taking blood of the fallen wait until you need 800 hitpoints or until you've take damage to get it. It's good to surprise people with as a instant potion.

2.) In the first ten minutes the tower rook seems to be giving you trouble. Tower rook have problem with minions so purchasing minotaurs and archer would have given you a very nice meet shield for his towers and made it easier for you to kill him or cause him to go back to the crystal more. Level 1 minions are actually very good for their cost.

Polynomial is right. Nimoth or Unbreakble Boots are more useful then Halberk with your build. And also consumables really need to count at the early levels. Alot of early gold could have gone into armor and minions. If you were using the potion to kill demigod it would have been different but early alot of the gold seemed wasted.

3.) I'm a mana pig but taking Scaled Helm early I always find helps Oak cause of his low general mana. Especially if your playing Oak in your style you need to be able to beat down other demigod with your abilities.

September 24, 2009 12:11:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi,

I'm not the Oak expert, but let me tell u a few things about this game:

u took Bold of the Fallen and when u came back to shop first time u bought Banded Armor and ScalMail. I think thats a little bit too much. ScaledHelm would have been the better choice, besause u cann cast your abilites (pentience I and shield I) one time more and your Mana  will regen faster.

u took Divine Justice at lvl 3  - I wont, better take SoulPower for more damage

your play at mid game was ok, your team were 9 kills in front

first time you attacked the towers at the enemy portals was at the 25 minute mark, at this time your team was 3lvls above the other team!!!!! ok attack failed, because your teammates were on holidays and didnt helped u

at the 28 minute mark enemys took your right portal first time and hold it till end - at this time your team was to uncoordinated

you were the only one, who realy tried to get the flag back, your Reg tried to get more kills, and TB defended left portal

if u lose control over one of your portals at this time (catas are on the field) 1. lock your other portal, then your hole team can concentrate to get the portal back

your team had 120.000 gold, other team 87.000 gold, u wasted money in mid game for things like Narmoth's Ring, Bishops, ... ( Narmoth's Ring is a good item, but a waste when u are 3 lvls in front)

It is realy unbelieveable that your team lost this game. Good luck next time! and please buy a speed item!!!!!!!! Speed is still the most powerful weapon in this game!

September 24, 2009 12:32:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Quoting Polynomial,
At 7:00 you pulled a Rambo and shocked me that you actually got out alive =P Never beam into 2 demigods >.>

You have to admit, that was pretty awesome though    I actually don't think I saw Reg there since I don't attack him right away.  And, yes, I was lucky to get out of there alive (hp dipped down to 60 before priests did their thing)

Quoting Polynomial,

At 9:50 you had about 2500 gold which should have been spent on Nimoth or Unbreakable Boots. I feel you were not splicing minions into Oak's build effectively.At 10:42 you bought Hauberk of Light and Seige Archers. Again, I feel you really weren't splicing your minions into your build very well. Hauberk of Life thus wasn't very useful.

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my purchases are autopilot   I mainly Hauberk for pretty much all my demigods, general or not, so perhaps I need to reevaluate that.  I just want HP and regen.

Quoting Polynomial,
At about 30:00 you could have bought Buildings 4. This may have changed the game.

By "Buildings 4" you mean the tower damage/splash increase?

Quoting Polynomial,

You also bought Narmoth's Ring. It only got you about +18 per life steal. Was that really worth it?

I'm a little confused--earlier you said I _should_ buy Narmoth's.

Quoting Polynomial,
The absolute worst thing I noticed is that you kept Banded Armor and Scale Mail the entire game. You got to upgrade those down the line.

My thoughts here were that I was buying gear *in addition to* that stuff.  Trying to stack as much armor/hp as cost effective.

Quoting Polynomial,
Also, don't be afraid to try other favor items besides Blood of the Fallen. Its a good item in PUG games, but in team on team its not nearly as effective.

I play with a pretty wide assortment of favor--I just happened to pick BotF on this matchup due to our team makeup.  It was obvious I was going to have to be an early game tank vs Rook and/or Eb w/ Reg hanging around for a chance to snipe.

Quoting mrappard,
In the first ten minutes the tower rook seems to be giving you trouble. Tower rook have problem with minions so purchasing minotaurs and archer would have given you a very nice meet shield for his towers and made it easier for you to kill him or cause him to go back to the crystal more. Level 1 minions are actually very good for their cost.

I battled with the Rook from the very begining.  Do you think that minotaurs/archers would have been a better investment on my first shopping trip rather than the banded/scaled/consuables I bought?  Remember, I bought priests first so I had no armor or HP items (other than BotF)...

September 24, 2009 12:33:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bier_Kanonier,
Hi,

you were the only one, who realy tried to get the flag back, your Reg tried to get more kills, and TB defended left portal

if u lose control over one of your portals at this time (catas are on the field) 1. lock your other portal, then your hole team can concentrate to get the portal back

Here is a post I made in the comeback thread, I'll repost it here because it's relevant. Hope this helps:

The reason why comebacks don't happen too often is because most people do not understand the basics of the game.

If the enemy caps your portal flag.... there's really no point trying to sit back and wait for it to uncap, so you can grab it. A competent team will TP before the lock expires, recap, and repeat. They can do this forever, with nothing you can do about it. Now, you might say "yeah but i can interrupt" which you can. Except I'll fake out to trick you. I'll use my tp, you see my character sitting still trying to cast something and you want to cancel it, I cancel it immediately, due to lag I can cancel my TP faster than you can interrupt, leaving you on cooldown, then I cap your flag . Conversly, a good team will see that the opponent is in your base and there's no point - so now it's time to cap their flags and lock them back. And if they don't understand the basics they will leave your base - retreat - and try to defend their stolen portal - then you get your portal back .

The main thing is this, I've played countless games with pugs, I'll cap both of the enemy portals, my stuff is on cooldown or I ran out, and my allies will not tp and relock. This can cost you the game. I've also played games where my cit is almost dead, someone buys cit health, we grab both of their flags and lock them, enemy leaves our base, we get ours back, and we re-lock theirs until the game is over and we win.

September 24, 2009 9:42:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, I said I would have suggested Nimoth Chest Armor, not Narmoth's Ring. Personally, I think the item is a little too costly especially on Cataract.

Unless I was mistaken, it didn't look like your buildings had max HP upgrades at the end. Although I could have been double thinking about it.

September 24, 2009 11:33:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gotcha.  I usually don't think to buy that up once towers come down but I guess it helps the citadel too.

September 24, 2009 12:46:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In my experience yes buying minotaurs and buying archers would have moved the rook back better then the consumables. Tower rook don't have much burst damage so you could probably get away just one piece of armour. If you low on hitpoints just run away for the rook for awhile and let the priest and blood of fallen heal you up again. Then buy Nimoth Chest Armor or Scaled Helm and you'll be far better at pushing the rook back to the citadel.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000140   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.