The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

ShakeNBake Slam Rook Replays

By on September 22, 2009 9:09:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*Updated 28/09/2009*

Here I will upload some replays of a pure slam Rook dominating for people who do not believe that Rook is a worthy opponent. This is what happens when you under-estimate him.

To watch a repay, save it to your Demigod replay folder in "My Documents -> My Games -> Gas Powered Games -> Demigod -> replays" and view by running Demigod and selecting "Replays" on the main menu.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Replay 1: Cataract 3v3 Conquest
(vs tower rook, support sedna, snipe + mine regulus)
http://www.postmaster.co.uk/fs/benjones/Public//Demigod%20Replays/SnB%20Slam%20Rook%20001.DGReplay

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=96248

(there are a couple of SICK teleport fake casts which allowed me to get away with 0 deaths, one at 15:00-15:30)

*NEW REPLAY*
Replay 2: Cataract 3v3 Conquest

Having lost my first two games since the reset, coincidentally with a "Heavens Wrath" (*cough* exp stealing *cough*) Regulus on my team in both games, I didn't have high hopes for this game with a swift anklet + boots of speed Regulus at the start. However he redeemed himself remarkably by purchasing Currency I for the team, and here is what happens in the 1% of games where I don't have to buy Currency I myself...

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=96835

http://www.postmaster.co.uk/fs/benjones/Public//Demigod%20Replays/SnB%20Slam%20Rook%20002.DGReplay

The Build:

Strengths:

2k hp guaranteed hit at lvl 10 onwards (huge AoE damage during team battles)
highest base stats in the game (bolstered by taking stats lvl 16-20 if game permits)
very strong from lvl 10-20 if enemy team is not fed

Weakness:
low move speed
weak early game (lvl 1-5)

Starting items of my build:
Blood of the fallen - for more hp and more hp regen
Banded armor - for more hp and more hp regen
Scaled helm - so you can spam lvl 1 hammer slam
Totem - +5 vision radius to see incoming ganks

Items I usually use mid-late game (in no particluar order):
Narmoths Ring, Vlemish Helm, Unbreakable Boots, Nimroths Chest Armor, Hauberk of Life, Groffling Warplate, Journeymans Treads, Wand of Speed, Teleports + Flag Locks (very rarely I sometimes take slayers wraps / mageslayer when I feel like doing an autoattack focused build).

Good late game stats:
8k hp, 50% armor, some lifesteal, more than 6 move speed.

Build Order:
Lvl1: Slam
Lvl2: Archer Towers
Lvl3: Save
Lvl4: Slam
Lvl5: Roll + Shoulder Tower
Lvl6: God strength
Lvl7: Slam
Lvl8: Trebuchet
Lvl9: Save
Lvl10: Slam + Roll
Lvl11: God strength
Lvl12-14: Save
Lvl15: Slam + Shoulder Upgrade + Roll + God strength
Lvl16-20: Stats

I will post new replays in the original post when I get some more good ones.

If you want to post any comments in this thread, please do not post if you have not watched the replays, and try to keep flames to a minimum. Constructive criticism is allowed but please no "slam sux" "omg no towerz!!1!" etc.

Enjoy.

+7 Karma | 16 Replies
September 22, 2009 9:52:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no way you can't survie even in the map cataract, and you can't even kill 1 until you get lv 5 boulder roll and you can lv up 3 times faster with towers. So here is my best build.

1. Tower

2. Shoulder / Hammer

3. x

4. Tower / Hammer

5. Boulder roll, Shoulder / Boulder roll

6. Hammer / x

7. Tower / Tower, hammer

8. Hammer / x

9. x

10. Tower, boulder roll / Tower, hammer, boulder roll

Favor: Blood of fallen, swift anklet, staff of renewal.

September 22, 2009 9:57:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

An interesting game, your team was definitely stronger.  The opposing rook was generally the best player on their team, and sedna was clearly the worst. No priests, very little health, she spent most of her combat mana on heals, instead of good things.

I think you fairly well illustrate the difference between a tower rook and Slam rook.  Early on, the tower rook is clearly doing better than you. He's taken down the towers on both sides of the map, and gotten at least one kill (Against your weak oak). However, when the game gets a bit more spread out, he doesn't bring enough punch when he shows up to the plate.  When you guys, very late, 3v3 near their health side portal flag, your team easily wins.  You've got a Rook Roll... he puts up a level 4 tower, maybe two.

Some notes on the gameplay:

• Notice how the regulus places his mines?  I think this is one area he could have learned to play better, since he always puts them in front of someone, but never manages to land them ON them (Except maybe during mass combats). Shake easily sidesteps a triple mine throw near the middle exp flag early on, showing how poor use of a strong ability can be a big waste of mana.
  • Sedna doesn't buy priest idol minions of any kind, and often casts her healing spell, instead of using the significantly more mana efficient idols.
  • The Unclean Beast, who did pretty good all in all, is using Blood of THe fallen.  He is pretty durable, but you can see multiple times where if he'd had the mana for another 'grasp' it would have been an easy kill. Just a point to show the diversiity between BotS and BotF.
  • Teleganking is performed well in this game, a bit by both teams, but mostly by the winning team.  Shake has at least one, and I think a few more.
  • Game was Clearly decided by level 12 for everyone involved, typical for cataract.
  • At the outset of the game, Shake waits for enough money to get the scaled helm and the banded armor.  As a result, the middle flag is already captured when he gets there. (I had discussed somewhere on the boards why I'd get a teleport or flag lock instead of waiting for the Helm, in that scenario, not only would Shake have shown up to an already capped flag, but it would have been locked too).

Anyhow, I think replays are going to add a lot to this game. Will be nice to see what wins and what loses.

September 22, 2009 10:16:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can just right click and copy link location on the big Download button after you upload it on GameReplays, shake.

September 22, 2009 10:18:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as the hybrid beast became the best, soon rook&slam rook will be the best

September 22, 2009 10:28:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I quite sure getting atleast 1 point in tower is worth it. Towers are just huge in the beginning.

September 22, 2009 10:56:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the argument is generally NOT about tower vs Slam.  THey are completely compatible.  The real question is tower vs.. say, God or Trebuchet.  Picking up some points, maybe just one in tower for the teleport target and early lane holding, is very good and helps you control war score and get telefrags.

September 22, 2009 11:07:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WOW that TP fake cast at 15:00 was SICK !!!  but my favorite tho is how u killed that reg in the middle of his towers at 22:50 -23:00 if i remember well. never seen someone who play slam rook like u. +1

btw its was funny seeing rook running like a ninja when u got the 6k boots

September 22, 2009 11:32:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gotta agree the fake cast on the teleport was awesome, I actually did a double take watching the replay because it looked like he interrupted it.

September 23, 2009 12:03:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

stop hacking SnB.

September 23, 2009 2:13:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice play SnB. What I found really great is when you don't stun+slam the sedna before she has low enough health. That's really wicked. Some of the opponent team's item choice were very questionable. They also failed to stack health. A sedna with like 2800 health is fail at around level 8-9, especially vs a slam rook.

September 23, 2009 3:11:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sorry to hijack your thread [shakenbake], since it is in the strategy section, i thought i might add this replay, instead of creating a new thread about how to play rook. i will remove this post if you want me to

just had a game as a juggernaut rook, afew nice slams and saves.

kalel also played a nice tower rook build in this game.

should be good for those learning how to play rook.

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=popular&show=details&id=96270&st=0#6427512

September 23, 2009 3:36:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I feel that it is a bit dubious to save 3 levels worth of points. Usually, by level 14, the game is already decided (if not over). You won't get to level 15 in general as rook (although, if you do, your slows will be epic). You could easily throw a point or two into towers without sacrificing too much. I tend to think that a Hybrid Rook is the best. Also, this build seriously sacrifices ganking potential. Here's a replay:

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=96272

I made some stupid-ass mistakes, sure, but in general, Rook's towers made ganks happen that would not have happened otherwise without the towers. One of the best strategies I've seen is throwing up a tower in enemy lines. You force your opponent to deal with the towers or risk being ganked. They didn't deal with the towers, so they got ganked by a UB, which is a fate worse than death.

I will say that a strength of your build is low mana usage. Rook crucially needs armor, and your build can afford it since you don't need two mana helms.

My suggestion: Try throwing in a point on towers at level 1. If you don't want to delay your build, forsake Trebuchet until after level 12. One point in towers is good early game and late game. On the downside, you won't be able to afford as many hammer slams early on, but towers are more powerful at level 1 anyways.

September 23, 2009 4:08:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,
sorry to hijack your thread [shakenbake], since it is in the strategy section, i thought i might add this replay, instead of creating a new thread about how to play rook. i will remove this post if you want me to

just had a game as a juggernaut rook, afew nice slams and saves.

kalel also played a nice tower rook build in this game.

should be good for those learning how to play rook.

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=popular&show=details&id=96270&st=0#6427512

Well.. that is very insightful.  Shows that abuggeredhedgie was the best player on both teams for sure. Those 3v3 combats you guys engaged in were literally won by his monks.  Look at the healing numbers they are throwing around, literally thousands of health.

Also, did you realize you'd accidentally bought the plenor battlecrown instead of the vlemish faceguard?

September 28, 2009 5:13:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

new replay added 28th September, see original post for info + link.

p.s. hope no-one sees me getting wtfpwnd in RAWR's replay ... 3 keyboard smashing deaths in 1 game!

September 28, 2009 5:20:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I tried this build and with a lot of health stacking it is so much fun to play (in comparison to my QoT). You should also mention Sigils.

On the replay #2: Uproot Queen enemy = instant win. The 2 Rook passive tower kills (QoT, then Erebus escaping from mist) were quite funny.

September 28, 2009 9:15:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Got a replay of me and my mates playing a game where the opposing Queen was 'uproot specced'.  She faced off against our rook (who had one point in towers) and kept UPROOTING his towers.  Over the course of the game, she only killed two real towers.  Not exactly the aggro strat I think she was expecting.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.