The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

L4D 2 Banned in Australia

By on September 18, 2009 12:51:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
+24 Karma | 39 Replies
September 18, 2009 1:12:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wasn't looking forward to L4D2 to be quite frank, however this is simply another example that the Australian Classification System is living in a time when the video game industry was getting rolling. Considering the largest entertainment release of all time was a video game, and a very violent one at that (GTAIV), I think it's safe to say the industry was moved on since then. In Australia, we've payed millions of dollars in taxes for them to completely re-do the ratings system - which resulted in different coloured ratings Stickers were are still ultimately ignored by retailers - and yet a new classification for people over the age of 18 for Video Games doesn't exist when it falls under the same classification board as film, tv and literature? In my opinion, games like GTAIV shouldn't be in the hands of people under the age of 18 - our current rating system places it in the hands of 15 years old because a higher classification simply doesn't exist when it clearly should.

September 18, 2009 1:21:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is an absolute joke.

We don't have a classification system for games that are over Ma 15+ (need to be over 15 or have parents permission to buy). Since there is no R18+ rating, they can't classify it at all if they consider it more adult then for 15 year olds, which is what the RC classification is.

Classification is upto the attorney generals of each state.  The absolute majority, bar one, recognise the need for an R18+ rating for videgames; but since the decision needs to be unanimous, we get shafted.

The problem is, the one guy holding out, by law hasto be an elected member of the lower house i.e. he's elected in a seat with pretty ridiculously conservative bible lovers with not much chance of being voted out.

I'll find his webpage after i get home, but his opinion basically is that since children are better at technology then adults, then they will still be able to access R18+ videogames even if they are unable to be sold to them.

Just.....embarrassing and condescending really.

September 18, 2009 1:34:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

tbh i dont really care since i dont like fps games.

but really.. its just stupid. kids are exposed to far worse things than a videogame, e.g. the news.

September 18, 2009 2:21:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's always been my opinion that if your child is playing GTA when he's 10 years old, your parenting skills are more worrisome than the game itself.

September 18, 2009 4:09:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I love the idea that a game warrants refusal of classification when they are:

"1.  Coputer games that:

(d) are unsuitable for a minor to see or play"

Which is a round-about way of saying "Only minors play videogames".

I wish the stupid politicians would realise that gaming started in the 1980s and few people gave it up when they turned 18.  Those people are in their late twenties now, at the very least, so unless they've found some magical way to supress their age, they are both gamers and adults debunking that thinly veiled assumption I just mentioned.  And I'm sure they would like to play some of the great, mature audience aimed games out there, without getting done for illegal importation of RC material and the like.  We elected the Labor party because we wanted a progressive Australia that understood the changing world.  Fat chance that was.

Australia -where the Liberals are conservative, Labour is progressive, and Beijing is their idea of national progression...progression in oppression...Where the f- is an American when you need one?

September 18, 2009 4:31:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We'll have an R18+ rating one day. It's kind of a big job actually putting one into practice though. And one that costs millions of dollars.

It's in the "too hard" basket for the people with any power to change it at the moment. We have similar problems with the draconian classification outlines for film aswell.

September 18, 2009 4:33:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Valve is an american company, steam is an american service, with an amercian store that sells us things in american currency...

I think this refusal of service is going to have a fairly limited impact on the ability of anyone who wants it to get the game.

And yes, Australia's lack of a modern computer game rating system is pretty sub-optimal.  I disagree with the government deciding what we can and cannot show our children, but I strongly agree with a body of people labeling games to help parents figure out which ones are ok for their kids and which ones have the nasty stuff in them.

September 18, 2009 4:46:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Valve is an american company, steam is an american service, with an amercian store that sells us things in american currency...

I think this refusal of service is going to have a fairly limited impact on the ability of anyone who wants it to get the game.

Valve is bound by the laws of the country that it sells it's products in.

And in the case of L4D if you did get your hands on a copy to play you wouldn't find any Aus servers to play it on.

September 18, 2009 6:06:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CrazyElectron,

Australia -where the Liberals are conservative, Labour is progressive, and Beijing is their idea of national progression...progression in oppression...Where the f- is an American when you need one?

if it's any consolation, we Americans aren't too happy with the way the government here works either. It seems like that's almost the point of politics.

September 18, 2009 9:12:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,
tbh i dont really care since i dont like fps games.

but really.. its just stupid. kids are exposed to far worse things than a videogame, e.g. the news.

True.

I'm not from Australia, but I agree that TV news pwn all pron and horror films

Banning videogames is stupid. It only supports piracy.

September 18, 2009 11:39:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And in the case of L4D if you did get your hands on a copy to play you wouldn't find any Aus servers to play it on.

Host your own.

September 18, 2009 12:41:57 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Kinda like the black Reverant in the US who said L4D 2 was rasist because you would be killing black zombies

Of course, totally forgetting that you could kill black zombies in L4D 1, and that, not ONE but TWO playable characters are black this time around.

but you know, Blood=baad.

Kinda liike Carpocalypse in the UK; they had to change the civilians into zombies and change the blood into some purple goo to make the game Legal in the UK.

Well, that's what happens when your consil is filled wiht 60+ year old people who only heeard of video games in the 70s with Pong and Pac-Man, who don't play it at all and are not intersted into them

September 19, 2009 5:06:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally i dont care about blood and gore. I would rather like to see too little than too much of it. It doesnt add any gameplay value, but valve doesnt seem to think like that. Maybe they should stick to a more realistic level of gore instead of having to (over)cut it afterwards to make it rated low enough for australia and germany.

September 19, 2009 5:31:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I assume Australian law has an R18+ rating for movies, which is where I find fault; if nothing else, one should at least be consistant.

September 19, 2009 8:49:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A good point Melon, however it's the interactive nature of Video games that divide them. I can certainly understand the argument against them, however in a country where we're supposed to have all of this freedom, why is content being banned outright rather than simply contained via an expanded ratings system?

September 19, 2009 6:57:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
A good point Melon, however it's the interactive nature of Video games that divide them. I can certainly understand the argument against them, however in a country where we're supposed to have all of this freedom, why is content being banned outright rather than simply contained via an expanded ratings system?

Right, the young and impressionable really shouldn't play such games. But the actions taken here indicate that someone on the ratings boar believes wholeheartedly that a grown, functioning adult cannot tell the difference between a life action and one done in a videogame, which to me is assuming far too little of society.

September 19, 2009 11:16:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My argument supporting violent games (not neccesarily uber-gore, e.g. GoW times two.  they need some type of storyline) is that you can either take out your frustrations on incorporeal ones and zeroes, or very corporeal, and very harmable people.  There is an obvious, and distinct difference between a video game and real life. (Now, do bear in mind that I don't think that those under... 8-10 should be playing gears of war or Bad Company, but still.  banning of a game in its entirety?)

1) in RL, there are no Covies (halo).  you cannot kill evil aliens.  you would not be able to survive a 20ft fall unharmed.  you would not be able to run around with an MA5B, pouring ten pounds of lead into everything that gets unlucky enough to cross your path.  in Halo, you can.

2) (Mercs 2) We are not at war with the Chinese in Venezuela.  You cannot order in an Nuclear Bunker-Buster airstrike on the UP headquarters in the center of Maracaibo.  You cannot fall from ten thousand feet and survive (ditch a heli up high).  you cannot fall from four hundred feet and survive (that's about min height for terminal velocity - around there, anyway).

3) (CoD4) There is no way in hell a sniper will shoot the prop turbine on an in-flight helicopter, and take it down. it's too small, moving too fast, and there is a much larger, much steadier, much more effective target a foot and a half below it.  the engine (which snipers can do).  [I don't play this game enough to know any more aguments about it, really.  just wanted to touch on a ps2/3 game, instead of all 360 games]

4) there is a higher rating than M, at least in the US.  it's Ao.  now, judging by the comments earlier, Australia doesn't use this.  but it is also a death sentence for a game.

5) in a game, you can hit the power/reset button, and evey single thing is unharmed.  there is no grieving mother.  there is no crying little sister. there is no father who tries to be strong for his family, but really is just as sad as the rest.  no next of kin need notifying.  no ambulance need be called.  no medical bills need paying. no medevac is called.  no fire is hitting the UH-60 trying to save a guy with a bullet in his gut.  there is no reprecussions from it.  that is why people act like they do in those games.  they know they can't do it in real life.  that's why they do it in the game.  it releases frustration, clears the mind, and let's a person relax when they've had a hectic, harrassment-filled day. 

/rant

September 19, 2009 11:37:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Kinda liike Carpocalypse in the UK; they had to change the civilians into zombies and change the blood into some purple goo to make the game Legal in the UK.
Actually, that was Germany.  So I guess that's a consolidation to some Australians - at least its not Germany.  They're currently discussing a law to ban all violent videogames - honestly, the nerve!

September 20, 2009 12:48:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

True.

100% untrue. TV is one of the most censored forms of media out there. In over 20 years of watching Australian TV I have NEVER, EVER seen anything even close to the violence in video games.

September 20, 2009 8:58:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is certainly a fine line to walk here. The violence in Video Games is incredible, let's not kid ourselves. In Gears of War, for example, you can chainsaw an opponent in half and watch as the fully interactive pieces of them slide around on the blood soaked floor. As the graphics improve, the realism able to be presented is mind-numbing. However, violence for violence sake a good game makes not.
Look at Manhunt, which was also banned in Australia. I've seen just about every disburbing movie you can name, and I've played the hardest of the hardcore video games, and there were moments in that game when even I had to flinch. However, the game was terrible. Once the shock of what was being displayed had worn off, the short comings of the gameplay were glaringly obvious and I grew bored of the game so quickly I didn't even see it through to the credits.

Some people can argue that violent video games can influence people in ways that films cannot because their interactive, the player is controlling the actions of the people on screen. I agree with this point, the interactive nature of video games is what sets it apart from the other interactive mediums. However the potential to tell stories is increased because of that interactivity, and humans strive for realism, in some degrees, in most of our entertainment mediums.
War films, for example, present the horrors of war with un-flinching realism and depict the graphic violence that humanity has inflicted upon itself. And yet, the stories told are often inspirational as we share those horrors, but we also share their triumphs as they over-come those horrors.

Video games that are violent for violence sake, and tell no story and are merely graphical murder simulators are bad games, and no self-respecting gamer places them in the same tier as the Baldur's Gate-s, the Deus Ex-s, the Final Fantasy-s. The original Left 4 Dead was a rush, and a blast (no pun intended) to play with friends. Significantly increasing the violence doesn't really serve the gameplay in any way I can think of, and serves only to satisfy the blood-hund gamers with visions of exploding grey matter and amputations for the sake having such things. The infected don't use weapons, so blasting their arms off doesn't really do much - and shooting their legs to slow them down doesn't really work that well, so blowing them off doesn't serve the gameplay either.
Now, having said that, as a mature adult over the legal age of consentand of sound mind and body, I feel if I want to play a game like that I should have the right to do so. I don't feel children under the legal age should, however. Video games are maturing, at least graphically, at an alarming rate - and we need time to educate children that what you do in a game, stays in a game and that there is a difference between a game and the real world. We also need to educate the people in charge, who shouldn't need educating, that video games are no longer Pac-Man and Mario, and the average gamer wants to do more in their games than save the princess, and is most likely over the age of 20. Not all video games are for kids. Handing your eight year son a copy of Manhunt, Grand Theft Auto 4 or Gears of Ware because they whine at you to buy it for them is bad parenting, and very irresponsible.

September 21, 2009 12:04:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Orodum,

4) there is a higher rating than M, at least in the US.  it's Ao.  now, judging by the comments earlier, Australia doesn't use this.  but it is also a death sentence for a game.

Maybe I am uncharacteristically optimistic on this one but I think with the rising acceptance of digital distribution (one I almost don't feel free to 100% adopt myself) that AO will finally start getting a fair shake. I mean, part of the problem is getting shelf space on Wal-mart right, but some companies are starting to figure out they don't have to cater to everyone and their children to have a successful release. I am just glad that there isn't actual banning of games in the USA, yet. There are plenty of people who would love to enforce their moralities on other people though, including members of Congress.

September 22, 2009 5:04:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed, videogames are much more violent than the majority of movies, books, etc. out there. However, once in a blue moon violence in a game serves an actual point (as an example, No More Heroes). However, there are a number of film and book genres that can easily compete (and surpass) the violence in videogames, most notably the infamous slasher movie. So the question in my opinion is, "Would you let your kid watch Kill Bill?" If not, he probably shouldn't be playing GTA. But for the rest of us gamers, of whom many are adults in our right minds and capable of discretion, the title should be availible for purchase.

On the flip side, I hesitate to encourage the industry to continue the trend toward more and more graphic violence which serves less and less of a point. As we have been shown through the more recent years, games can do more than simply shock and awe. Gameplay and storyline should hold a special place in all our hearts, lest the medium become filled with Saw I - MCXIV games.

September 22, 2009 7:27:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I agree that gaming should be handled differently in Aus it would be totally naive to model it after or compare it to Film and TV classification ratings.

They have about as much in common as Film and Literature do and their ratings should be treated as such.

September 24, 2009 10:57:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

on another thought, since a lot of Aussies probably would want to play the game.. do you think some of them would be selling it illegally? just a thought.

September 24, 2009 11:59:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

True.

100% untrue. TV is one of the most censored forms of media out there. In over 20 years of watching Australian TV I have NEVER, EVER seen anything even close to the violence in video games.

but on television ive seen terrorists from al qaeda, serial killers, stabbing victims, drug busts, drug overdoses, depression, frauds, scams, AK47's, guns, knives, suicide bombings, group sex allegations, rape victims, glassings, horror films etc...

so is it really censored at all if little 5 year old children can sit on their couch and view this stuff with his parents whilst having dinner?

why doesnt the news have a MA15+ rating?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.