The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

GAME LOBBY CRASH *EXPLOIT*

By on September 13, 2009 10:26:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Everyone knows about the lobby crash bug that occurs somtimes when a player leaves or is kicked.  Tonight, a person with the account name "dSTROYUrGame" joined my game, and lo and behold, the game was crashed.  It was pretty obvious that this was done intentionally, and it worked on the first attempt.  I'm sure the kiddo got a good laugh out of it, and he succeeded in annoying me.

Please, devs, fix this sh!t.  Why can't we ban people from joining?  Why does this crash occur?

+3 Karma | 7 Replies
September 13, 2009 10:32:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I HARDLY THINK THAT THIS IS AN *EXPLOIT* AS THIS DOESN'T ACTUALLY AFFECT THE GAME ITSELF.

Everyone knows about the lobby crash bug that occurs somtimes when a player leaves or is kicked.

Actually, I've never seen it. If it's able to be reproduced at will by the person leaving, it seems like this would be connected to the manner in which they leave; such as causing themselves to crash by alt+tabbing (which I've also never seen) or simply ending the process via Task Manager.

September 14, 2009 4:44:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Exploit = to take advantage of.  There is a bug with the game lobby that causes it to crash from time to time on exit or boot.  Apparently, there is way to do this intentionally.  Hence, this is an exploit.  Exploit does not necessarily mean cheating.

You should pick up a dictionary some time.  It has all sorts of useful info like this!

I'm frankly surprised you haven't seen it yourself.  There are several hosts that simply ask people to leave instead of booting them because they are aware of the random lobby crash that can occur when a host boots someone.  I have no doubt that there are plenty of people who can attest to seeing this themselves.

It is, obviously, difficult to reproduce because it is intermittent, but it does occur, and it is a problem.

September 14, 2009 7:51:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*sigh*
An exploit is anything in the game which you can use, usually outside the intended use, to give yourself an unfair advantage in some way. As this bug provides no advantage of any kind to any person it is not considered an exploit.

I've never seen this bug in action, that is not to say it doesn't exist. Instead of posting this kind of thread, how about doing something useful like sending in your log files to [email protected] with a clear description of the issue to give them more information to provide to Gas Powered Games who will code a solution when possible.

September 14, 2009 8:05:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just stop.  This section is for problem reports, and this is a problem.  I'm not going to get into a semantics discussion here because 1) I'm right, and 2) I don't care if you want to go on sounding like an idiot - have fun!

*Oh, and I have submitted several crash reports, just like countless others.

September 14, 2009 8:37:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't seen it used as an exploit personally.  I have certainly experienced MANY lobby crashes due to people leaving the game, or being kicked and coming back, etc.  I go so far as to rehost a game if I even see 1 person timed out. 

Regarding dSTROYUrGame (http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/games/player/32075/) - his stats are somewhat telling.  I'd wager he did not do something intentional... the guy hasn't even played a game since May 15 and perhaps was giving DG another try.  Did he say something in chat that led you to believe that he intentionally crashed your lobby?  From the few games that he has, only 1 or 2 of them actually ended with him still in the game (eg he either raged or has some pretty bad connection issues). 

September 14, 2009 11:10:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, as a matter of fact, but I don't have proof.  I hosted a "NO NOOBS/NO PREMADE".  Someone joined who i asked to leave because they didn't have enough time played, they protested that "their account was wiped", let loose with some vulgarities, said brb, then dstroyurgame shows up almost immediately after, and my game crashes.

All the stats show is that he hasn't played a game since May, that is correct. It looks like this is a griefer account made specifically to crash lobbies (apt name for the purpose).  For the life of me, I can't remember who all was in the lobby with me to witness it, but I wasn't the only one who saw it.

September 15, 2009 4:24:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Check your DemigodLog.txt file (found in My Games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod). It logs all lobby connections, so just search the file for "dstroyurgame".

September 15, 2009 7:53:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good to know, thanks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.