The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[suggestion] Country codes for custom matches.

By on September 13, 2009 12:10:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Considering that http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp lists custom games with their bracketed country signifier, is there any chance of utilising this in-game?

Sure, its slightly lazier then putting in proper titles. But more information can't be a bad thing in this context? PLus its information that is being already tracked somehow. I know it can be seen in the impulse community stuff as well. Why not ingame too?

+5 Karma | 7 Replies
September 13, 2009 5:11:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally I would rather not have people know what country I am from (the USA btw).  I am a pub player that like the ability to hop into a quick game.  As it is, when i play there are between 3-8 games avalavle to choose from at most (i play weekdays, in the morning, off peak I know).

Many  hosts wan EU only or US only, or Aus only. I dont care about the country, and I just ignore that part of the game name. My ping is fine so the games run smooth..,

But if an AUS player knew I was in the US they may kick for no good reason, just becasue they think im to far away and it will cause issues when infact it does not.

September 13, 2009 10:35:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just check the pings. I am in the US and have played matches with people in RUS and AUS just fine because their connections were good. I have also had laggy games with people in the US/EU. Just check the pings (granted, this won't catch ping spikers, but then you have 3 minutes to leave).

September 13, 2009 10:51:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd like to see it offically implemented, however as long as people put the codes into their custom game titles it's fine. It's not about descriminating against countries, it's about ease of use for Ping control. I don't attempt to join US games, for example, because I know in the vast majority of cases my Ping is going to be unacceptable, and Vice Versa. I treat any player who joins a game I host the same; if their ping is under 350 they're more than welcome, if not then I ask them to leave.

September 14, 2009 11:10:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's definitely a good to have. However, to my experience, players are going to still be joining games hosted by players far away from them. They could be doing so because:

* They don't recognise the country code and just joined to check their ping

* They are new to how multiplayer works and have no idea what ping means

* They have so few players in their local community that they've got no choice but to try their luck

I wonder if such a thing can possibly be modded in?

September 14, 2009 6:09:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why go through the effort.  If people care enough about location, they can put Aus, or EU, or US in the game name, like they already do. 

I dont oppose this idea compleatly, but it seems silly to ask for such a trivial thing when there are much larger issues, such as connectivily, modding, and balancing that need adressed.

Perhaps modding may make this happen in fact.  I have a feeling that modding will make alot of things happen alot faster than they currently are.

September 16, 2009 2:07:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To clarify, I meant solely on the title of the games listed, as they do in both impulse and opengames.asp. I didn't to call out which country each player was from.

I just thought it'd be something simple and easy easy to implement ingame if it already exists in both the match listings out of the game.

@tperge modding makes me optimistic

September 18, 2009 11:17:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But if an AUS player knew I was in the US they may kick for no good reason, just becasue they think im to far away and it will cause issues when infact it does not.

Hah...it's the other way round there mate...we folk from Au are always getting kicked as soon as the host see's the ~300 ping to the US.

If everyone understood that under 350 ping is fine then this would be anone issue.

As for the OP, i like this idea, it would save me having to open up opengames.asp to check if the game i am going to join is EU or not, which from AU is just about unplayable.

Perhaps modding may make this happen in fact. I have a feeling that modding will make alot of things happen alot faster than they currently are.

QFT....GPG have not endeared themselves to me with their efforts so far. If SD had all rights to this title then i think we would have had a few more patches out than we have....going by my previous SD game support experiance.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.