The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

$5 Games @ D2D

By on September 9, 2009 6:55:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For those of you who like Direct2Drive, they are offering a pretty incredible sale for the next few days: $5 games!

The games include:

• Civ 4
  • GRAW 2
  • Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Dawn of War (Game of the Year edition)
  • X-Com complete
  • Empire Earth Gold
  • Far Cry
  • Call of Juarez

Note: This is an ongoing sale with new items every week, for 5 weeks.

Link: http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

Enjoy folks!

+41 Karma | 13 Replies
September 9, 2009 7:11:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Note there are regional restrictions and pricing, but still some good deals there. I'm mostly into RPGs, so I'm looking forward to seeing what pops up in a couple weeks, although I'm tempted by Civ 4.

September 9, 2009 7:17:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Coelocanth,
Note there are regional restrictions and pricing, but still some good deals there. I'm mostly into RPGs, so I'm looking forward to seeing what pops up in a couple weeks, although I'm tempted by Civ 4.

Do you use the same name on GOG, perhaps?

Anyway, back on topic: D2D used to put some really annoying DRM on all games sold (unless marked as DRM-free on the product page). I am not sure if they have made their activation experience less frustrating.

September 10, 2009 1:36:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, I contacted D2D with my questions on activation, and I will share the reponse.

September 10, 2009 9:37:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

X-Com complete

Can they confirm that Enemy Unknown, Terror From the Deep and Apocalypse can run on XP without issues?

September 10, 2009 10:24:12 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I can play XCOM UFO, Terror From the Deep and Apocalypse on my XP computer using DOSBox 0.73.

September 10, 2009 10:58:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Melchiz,

Quoting Coelocanth, reply 1Note there are regional restrictions and pricing, but still some good deals there. I'm mostly into RPGs, so I'm looking forward to seeing what pops up in a couple weeks, although I'm tempted by Civ 4.

Do you use the same name on GOG, perhaps?

As a matter of fact... yes.

Quoting Melchiz,
Anyway, back on topic: D2D used to put some really annoying DRM on all games sold (unless marked as DRM-free on the product page). I am not sure if they have made their activation experience less frustrating.

I haven't used them for long and only use them for cheap games I don't care all that much about, but yes, unless it's specifically marked DRM free, they still use an activation system. I wouldn't say it's 'really' annoying, as it's simply a matter of entering a game key and activating on-line, and that's it. I don't like it, but as I said, I don't buy anything I really really care about from them.

September 10, 2009 11:11:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've bought a bunch of game from D2D UK, and i didn't notice any specially annoying activation, just install, give the key if it asks it, and play. Thoughest part is trying to squeeze the several gigabyte file trough my crappy 100kB/s connection.

September 10, 2009 11:20:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This product is only available for purchase in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

As usual...

September 10, 2009 11:26:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

D2D still has the annoying DRM on Ubisoft games.  Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory may actually work fine from Steam from what I heard, but on x64 the D2D and normal versions don't work at all.

I hope D2D puts out a solid client.  I definately expressed my wishes towards that in their feedback survey.

September 10, 2009 5:42:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bleh, this is what D2D told me:

Thank you for contacting Direct2Drive support. I'm sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your game.

Each game as a set amount of activation per key that is issued. Certain games have a limit on 10,5,1 activation per key. This is all developed by the games publishers.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Also, the support rep told me that the activations do not reset over time and you will need to email them when you run out. Boo!

September 11, 2009 6:01:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes, that's always been true with D2D.

They are the weakest link Hmm, I said that.  Well, at least I've never watched the show.

September 11, 2009 6:17:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Savyg,
Yes, that's always been true with D2D.

They are the weakest link Hmm, I said that.  Well, at least I've never watched the show.

So that means that Impulse, you are todays strongest link, and you go away with a growing chunk of the digital distribution market.  Thankyou for watching the Weakest Link, goodbye!

September 12, 2009 5:24:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can play XCOM UFO, Terror From the Deep and Apocalypse on my XP computer using DOSBox 0.73.

So can I, but that's why I asked. It would be sweet to have a version that doesn't need DOSBox altogether.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.