The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Queen of thorns

Agressive build

By on September 3, 2009 11:15:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Right. I really like the queen of thorns. But I found it very diffiult to get a build that was both succesfull, and fun to play with. So I decided to try my own, and to my surprise it actually works very well! (Against Hard AI. My internet is being slightly funny atm)

Skills.

1. Ground Spikes

2. Bramble Shield

3. Summon Shambler

4. Ground Spikes

5. Mulch

6. Bramble Shield

7. Ground spikes

8. Bramble Shield

9. Save

10. Ground Spikes and Mulch

11. Entourage

12. Entourage

13. Entourage

14. Save

15. Goddess of throns and muclh

16. Entourage

17. Tribute.

18 - 20. morale

Equipment.

1. Scale Mail

2. Banded armour

3. Nimoth Chest Armour

4. Hauberk of life

5. Armour of vengeance

6. Swap Scalemail for Platemail of the crusader

7. Swap Banded armour for Groffling warplate

8. Swap Nimoth chest armour for god plate.

Playstyle.

You are a durable queen of thorns. However, your mana supply is VERY limited. Therefore you shold only use ground spikes when it is definately going to benefit you. And when you run out of enough mana to use it, switch to closed mode until you reach the mana level required. I only use ground spikes against enemy demigods in the early stages of the game. The armour de-buff is excelent for getting your kills, although you wont see its true strentgth until higher levels. From level seven onwards I turn to toppling towers. Opening with a ground spike and normal attacking until they fall. Usually at this stage, after a GS my normal attacks deal 300-400 damage for a few strikes so they fell pretty quickly. similarly you will find that you deal a lot mor damage to your enemy demigods. Whenever you make a break for the item shop always buy a few 200 gold mana potions, this gives you the extra kick in GS attacks.

If you get teamed up on and start to lose health, flee to your towers, summon a shambler, mulch it and get straight back in there!! This way you dont need to run all the way back to the base to heal. Again this highlghts the importance of COMBAT MANA POTIONS!!

right.... thats about it. its not proffesional or anything, just tought I would leave a quick post of my strategy. Any comments welcomed.

0 Karma | 12 Replies
September 3, 2009 12:10:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You could improve this build if you would skip Entourage (since you only skill Summon Shamblers once) and also skip Morale. These skills are only useful if you intend to use your minions a lot. Skilling Entourage just because of the Tribute special skill is totally not worth it!

And you should get the Vlemish Faceguard helmet, it's really worth its money (closed mode mana regeneration is about 20 mana per second more). Thus you would have enough mana for using Ground Spikes more often and you could afford always having 2 Shamblers alive to Mulch, which would actually make you more durable than having only armor items.

September 3, 2009 3:14:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^^What he said.. you also want spike wave as well...

Sadly you'll find she's not so good against actual people

September 3, 2009 4:30:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,

And therein lies the problem, mr-bagpipes.  Hard AI will not quite get you ready for online action against decent players, but at least you'll have a feel for Queen's abilities.  Anyhow, as others have said already, invest in (and use) spikes early and often, along with Brambling Shield.  She's a killer on enemy armor and can be decent against structures.  I personally don't invest in Shamblers, or at least not before maxing out these other three abilities (ground spikes, spike wave, & shield).  The only minions that you should really be concerned about are idols, which you should get as soon as possible (starting with a healer).  You probably already know that Queen's abilities (and much of her battlefield usefulness) peak at about level 10 versus other demigods; after that, it doesn't much matter what you invest your level-up points in.

Regarding items, I highly recommend the Cape of Plentiful Mana as the optimal favor item.  Combined with a Vlemish Faceguard (or even the Plenor Battlecrown), your mana needs should be mostly taken care of for the whole game.  Depending on the map, the Amulet of Teleportation or the Swift Anklet is also a viable option for Queen.  Also, the Staff of the Warmage is a solid early-game favor item, but I think that the Cape of Plentiful Mana is better for the long haul.  I think that the ideal inventory will have one or two good mana items (I like Vlemish and Plenor as soon as can be afforded), one or two health/armor items (such as Hauberk of Life, Nimoth Chest Armor, or Unbreakable boots), and 1-2 items tailored to the occasion, which might include Boots of Speed, Gauntlets of Brutality, etc.  I don't believe in a single one-size-fits-all build for every game, so I would advise experimenting with various inventories.

In looking at your build, I have to admit that there is something to be said about stacking health and armor on QoT.  I rarely do such a thing since she is so mana-dependent (and needs good mana items first), but you can really surprise opponents by getting enough health and armor to stand toe-to-toe with them, especially when they expect for you to run at the first whiff of damage.  With a Brambling Shield up, you can really freak out an opponent by simply standing your ground for a moment (if your health will allow it).  Actually, with competent usage of spikes and Brambling Shield, Queen is one of the better demigods at psyching out  and kiting (cat-and-mouse action) opponents.  It's just a pity that her minion build is not stronger and most of the time she will, indeed, have lower health than other demigods.

Have fun and good luck to you!

P.S. One thing I've noticed in playing QoT online is that a lot of other players don't really know how to relate to her.  Sometimes, even your allies will be baffled, largely because she is played so infrequently.  In my experience, some human allies believe that she's a waste of time; others believe that she should be their demigod's personal minion and shield-provider the entire game; and yet others believe that she should be on the front lines racking up kills like UB, LE, and Oak.  Anyhow, try not to be discouraged by any of this.  She's a fun character to play (though she needs a slight buff), so just try to figure out a playstyle that fits you and will help your team.  Admittedly, she teams up better with some demigods (such as the heavy hitters) than others, and I think that she can rival Sedna as a support demigod in some situations (though I wouldn't suggest playing her as merely support or as somebody's minion).  Above all, have fun with her--we need more good QoT players out there!

September 4, 2009 5:59:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,
You could improve this build if you would skip Entourage (since you only skill Summon Shamblers once) and also skip Morale. These skills are only useful if you intend to use your minions a lot. Skilling Entourage just because of the Tribute special skill is totally not worth it!

And you should get the Vlemish Faceguard helmet, it's really worth its money (closed mode mana regeneration is about 20 mana per second more). Thus you would have enough mana for using Ground Spikes more often and you could afford always having 2 Shamblers alive to Mulch, which would actually make you more durable than having only armor items.

Well I only got entourage and morale to make sure that the shambler I summon can survive to be mulched, as I only summon one. And in my build there was nothing else to get. I liked being able to focus on just one skill, that being ground spikes. I agree that the vlemish facegaurd is AWESOME, but when I tried getting armour other than breastplates I died... a lot because I dont use bramble shield a lot. Thats also why I get mana potions. So I can keep it up.... Im not saying my way is better, I just find it a bit easier.

September 4, 2009 6:00:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,
^^What he said.. you also want spike wave as well...

I know... this is the problem, I find a build that works against AI, very well and then I try it online.... its a no go. haha

September 4, 2009 6:05:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_hunger,

In looking at your build, I have to admit that there is something to be said about stacking health and armor on QoT.  I rarely do such a thing since she is so mana-dependent (and needs good mana items first), but you can really surprise opponents by getting enough health and armor to stand toe-to-toe with them, especially when they expect for you to run at the first whiff of damage.  With a Brambling Shield up, you can really freak out an opponent by simply standing your ground for a moment (if your health will allow it).  Actually, with competent usage of spikes and Brambling Shield, Queen is one of the better demigods at psyching out  and kiting (cat-and-mouse action) opponents.  It's just a pity that her minion build is not stronger and most of the time she will, indeed, have lower health than other demigods.

reply 2

Its a substitute for bramble shield. I found that as soon as the shield fell I lost a LOT of health before I could get it back up again. This way I get to focus more on damage than constantly re-doing my shield. And I completely agree about the minions. the only reason I even get one is to mulch. and the only reason I get enterouge and morale is so it survives to be Mulched. And also by this point there are no other skills I need. I considered spiky waves as well.... but the mana was already a problem with ground spike, and there are only so many mana potions you can buy ha ha

September 4, 2009 10:12:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mr-bagpipes,
Its a substitute for bramble shield. I found that as soon as the shield fell I lost a LOT of health before I could get it back up again. This way I get to focus more on damage than constantly re-doing my shield. And I completely agree about the minions. the only reason I even get one is to mulch. and the only reason I get enterouge and morale is so it survives to be Mulched. And also by this point there are no other skills I need. I considered spiky waves as well.... but the mana was already a problem with ground spike, and there are only so many mana potions you can buy ha ha

Yeah, I definitely understand the micro issue with QoT.  Due to the open-close dynamic, you almost have to predict what is going to happen next in a battle so that you are not caught in the wrong mode (which will still happen on occasion).  Using the hotkeys, of course, makes things a bit more manageable, but she is still more micro-intensive than any other demigod.  However, don't give up on Bramble Shield, especially during the early- to mid-game.  It's like giving yourself (or allies) extra hitpoints for 30 seconds, which can be crucial in a close fight.  It also has a significant psychological dimension to it, especially when cast on strong-melee allies like UB, Oak, or LE.  Very importantly, a shield allows you to stand in front of a tower a bit longer as you are taking it down.

September 4, 2009 10:46:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_hunger,

Yeah, I definitely understand the micro issue with QoT.  Due to the open-close dynamic, you almost have to predict what is going to happen next in a battle so that you are not caught in the wrong mode (which will still happen on occasion).  Using the hotkeys, of course, makes things a bit more manageable, but she is still more micro-intensive than any other demigod.  However, don't give up on Bramble Shield, especially during the early- to mid-game.  It's like giving yourself (or allies) extra hitpoints for 30 seconds, which can be crucial in a close fight.  It also has a significant psychological dimension to it, especially when casted on strong-melee allies like UB, Oak, or LE.  Very importantly, a shield allows you to stand in front of a tower a bit longer as you are taking it down.

Yeah I get that. Mabye at some point I could sacrifice one of my breastplates to allow a decent helm... that way I could bring bramble shield into the picture and assist allies..... hmmm. Dont you agree that the queen of throns is just so god dam HARD to play???

September 4, 2009 11:16:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

QoT is a bit weak on the spells (some are almost usless), especially late game, and requires alot of micro: open/close, finding shambler in the mess/munch, finding target to shield. That explains her low stats.

Avatars of minions and friedly demigods would help so much here. Using the spells on these would be so much easier, like 300% easier.

September 4, 2009 12:37:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mr-bagpipes,
Dont you agree that the queen of throns is just so god dam HARD to play???

Most certainly.  Actually, I have gotten comfortable with the open/close thing and hotkeys.  However, this is still something that players of other demigods just don't have to deal with (TB does with ice/fire, but he doesn't have to deal with minions and has a better range of potent spells).  As ntropy said, some of QoT's abilities are near useless, even the 15th-level stuff.   Personally, I would like to see Uproot improved and Compost dropped altogether from the skill tree, in exchange for buffed shamblers with better pathfinding.  Hell, just give me another Bramble Shield and Ground Spikes upgrade at level 15 and get rid of Tribute and Goddess of Thorns.

Anyhow, I still like to play QoT. I find her exotic and unique amongst the demigods and fun to play once she hits her stride in a game.  There is nothing quite like slipping into a mob of creeps/minions and ripping them with Ground Spikes.  That carnage just never gets old to me.  Sure, I could just go and play UB, LE, or one of the other better-rounded and less micro-intensive demigods and call it a day.  Instead, I'll probably stick with QoT and hope that she gets buffed a bit at some point.

September 7, 2009 9:39:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just played a game against skill opponents and there was this UB who stacked HP very early in the game. He had over 5k HP before we hit mid game. At that point, together with his Rook team mate, we couldn't bump them off the fortitude flag (it's the flag that got his HP over 5k with the help of HP items). It was a very slow descent to defeat at that point and I found that I could do little to stop such a tactic with QoT.

I'm with the_hunger in that I find QoT unique and love how I can kill an entire reinforcement wave with a push of a button (it's just much more satisfying to spike them to death than TB's fire nova). However, it's true that she scales very poorly and needs a definite buff.

September 8, 2009 6:29:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no interrupt

+ no move speed slow in OP's build

= no kills for you

QoT =

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.