The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

This game is great but there are 2 things that HON does better...

By on August 27, 2009 3:04:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NeutralGood

Join Date 06/2009

First off heros of new earth is 10 times more stable then Demigod. Whats worse is that HON is free for now, whiule I payed money for demi god.

Second it feels like there are 100 times more players on HON. Again, I payed for Demigod and Hon is free. Yet i can't play DEmiGod become NO one else is playing it. And when i do try to play it the Lobby crashes. Just now my friends and i tried to get a game going and it crashed 3 times just in the lobby. WTF?

Locked Post 61 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 27, 2009 3:07:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Duno what to tell you... I think that SD/GPG doing an awesome job

And their support for this game is top notch. they actually monitor forums cant beat that ethier.

August 27, 2009 3:26:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreeing with DwarfKilla_DN here. For me Demi is pretty stable... Haven't played HoN so can't compare really.If you have problems report a bug or try to get some support.

The reason why there are 100 times for players in HoN is probably because IT IS FREE I think there are quite many players who have bought demi and will begin to play again after the new patch when some issues have been fixed. At least I hope so.

August 27, 2009 4:44:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Esuzu...  Dwarf was being sarcastic... 

And yes its free so more people are playing. But get this. you PAID money to be playing with people online, and yet you have to wait in the lobby for 20 minutes sometimes just to get a game going. But with a free game you don't... Stardock needs to do something to fix this fast.

By the time the patch comes out ther will be other games on the market. If i move on from this game and the issues where not fixed, then i dont think will ever buy a game from stardock or gas powered ever again.

August 27, 2009 5:18:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting NeutralGood_DN,
Esuzu...  Dwarf was being sarcastic... 

And yes its free so more people are playing. But get this. you PAID money to be playing with people online, and yet you have to wait in the lobby for 20 minutes sometimes just to get a game going. But with a free game you don't... Stardock needs to do something to fix this fast.

By the time the patch comes out ther will be other games on the market. If i move on from this game and the issues where not fixed, then i dont think will ever buy a game from stardock or gas powered ever again.

I don't wait 20 minutes and I have to bear with people joining then screaming premade then leaving.

As for lobby crashing, haven't had a whole lot of that recently either.

August 27, 2009 6:42:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Esuzu,
The reason why there are 100 times for players in HoN is probably because IT IS FREE

Uh, DG is free too via the demo, which had the effect of slowing the decline in players for about two weeks and is now just a blip in the overall trend.

So on the subject of HoN, I hadn't heard of it before coming across it yesterday in another thread that mentioned it.  I visited the website and wiki, and think I may have found a better place to spend my time.  Are beta keys still needed, and if so, where does one go to get one?

August 27, 2009 6:43:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really don't get why people feel the need to post about how HON or LOL is better than DG. Do you think by bashing the game and praising a dota knock off, (it even looks like dated graphics) on the forums for Demigod will gain you a magical solution to your problems?

Don't like Dg? Then don't play it and go enjoy your HoN. If you like dated graphics and a game built on a 7 year old platform, then go to it.

I sure dont wait 20 mins in the lobby for a game. The game is very stable. And Hon is in beta.....you will be paying for it at some point.

Where do you base your "no one is playing it" factoid on? Right now there are over 1700 people online playing.

There are many great things about this game and site, one of which is the great support SD offers. They are always on the forums.....but there are 2 things that ruins this place. One of which is the constant...i love HoN/LoL threads.

Alrighty...good for you...go and tell those folks on the HoN forums all about it.....

They might care.

August 27, 2009 6:45:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keep in mind that HoN is still in Beta, and will cost over $30 when it goes retail. But also keep in mind that HoN is not a new game on its own, but a cardboard copy of DotA with _nothing_ new to it with exception for the fluid 3D engine and the matchmaking UI.

My guess would be that the HoN playerbase will go back to DotA when HoN goes live. Why pay for a game that you can play for free (WC3 costs excluded)?

Demigod is something else, converting the MOBA concept into something unique.
Demigod is so much more than HoN, DotA and LoL. It's a game on its own, and not a clone.
When people starts to understand this, I'm sure the Demigod community will grow. Untill then, we're stuck with twats such as the OP that continously keep on making comparisons to other games that's just remotely similar to the game in question.

And for your information, Demigod is stable. My suggestion would be to check your system. I've been running DG for several months without any issues besides the connectivity issues seen at release. HoN on the other hand results in CTD's way more frequently than DG have ever done.

Windows 7 64bit build 7100
Intel Quad Q9400
4gb RAM
GeForce 9800GTX+

August 27, 2009 6:48:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bout frakking time someone with sense rolls along....

+1 my friend.

August 27, 2009 6:56:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HoN costs $30 (£18) and you can pre-order it already.

HoN has an amazing matchmaking system and ranking system, which DotA on Battlenet simply cannot compete with.

I also love the graphics in HoN - they are simple enough to run on low end systems yet crisp enough to look awesome.

It has multiple maps, a large selection of heroes and items, very very good balance (no more hp stacking > all that we have in Demigod).

It will have clan support, replay + match spectator support and a map editor on release.

I think HoN has won the DotA 2.0 wars before they have fully got underway.

When it is released, sales will be crazy I imagine.

Demigod is ok, can be fun sometimes, but there are just so many issues that can make playing very frustrating, hence why the player base is only 2000 these days. I personally don't think the stats are working correctly in DG, you get hardly any exp for a win and lose tonnes when you lose. This is very annoying for me. In HoN, you can see exactly how much points you will win/lose before the game even starts...

August 27, 2009 7:17:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,
I really don't get why people feel the need to post about how HON or LOL is better than DG. Do you think by bashing the game and praising a dota knock off, (it even looks like dated graphics) on the forums for Demigod will gain you a magical solution to your problems?

One of the main reasons is that we hate being lied to.  When the offical faces tell you that all the issues you're having are caused by your crappy connection/computer/attitude and things cant be better cause of lack of money, you come and show them that it can be done better and has been done so by a team with dramatically lower funding and minimal income from the game.

Don't like Dg? Then don't play it and go enjoy your HoN. If you like dated graphics and a game built on a 7 year old platform, then go to it.

The gameplay design is what you're reffering to and it's actually older than 7 years (based on Aeon of Strife).  It has been refined for very long by many people contributing.  Are you saying that gameplay designs become obsoleted with time?

The platform on the other hand features a very well made and rich multiplayer lobby system, extremely stable multiplatform engine that goes 40+ fps at all times, an insane backend system that hosts all games, provides radical new net code implementation and is lighting fast even with 30X more games running than Demigod while maintaining very low latency.  Yes, thats the other reason we discuss HoN, to show that proper platform is absolutely a must for a good multiplayer game, especially an action oriented one.

I sure dont wait 20 mins in the lobby for a game. The game is very stable. And Hon is in beta.....you will be paying for it at some point.

I already paid for HoN.  TBH I already feel it deserves my money a lot more than Demigod.

Where do you base your "no one is playing it" factoid on? Right now there are over 1700 people online playing.

This has been discussed plenty of times and the numbers just dont add up.  Search the forums if you will, but having less than 10% of online players in games, while there is no real chat system ingame, is just not right.  In comparison, when there are 18.000 players online in HoN, >1.500 of them are in lobbies.  (300 lobbies x 5+ people).  5-10x more are in started games (unfortunately there is no count of games in progress) which means 50-80% of the people reported online are playing.  Quite a stark contrast to what is being reported in demigod.

There are many great things about this game and site, one of which is the great support SD offers. They are always on the forums.....but there are 2 things that ruins this place. One of which is the constant...i love HoN/LoL threads.

Alrighty...good for you...go and tell those folks on the HoN forums all about it.....

They might care.

We cared very much here... search for past posts.

Meanwhile, S2 (the creators of HoN) are also always on the forums, but besides posting and arguing with players, they also patch the game with very high frequency (sometimes even daily) and every patch contains a multitude of fixes, additions and improvements.  They are capable of deploying patches with rapid frequency without causing system fallouts so far.  If you think SD/GPG are doing a good job supporting Demigod, you'd be swept off your feet by S2.  TBH I think Stardock was like them initially... then they made a shitload of money... then their appetites grew... then they became what they despised most...

August 27, 2009 7:34:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For all your long winded responses i say again...

They might care.

If you really think HoN is soo much better then go and enjoy your time with it.

There are two sides to every story and nothing i can say will change your mind.

August 27, 2009 7:38:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just hope you at least read it if you care about Demigod as you claim to.

P.S. I keep coming back to check for improvement in DG cause 1) I like the concept, gamplay and art, 2) I have friends I want to play with again.  I'd love to discuss new Demigod things, but when when I see no changes, I post information on stuff that is done better in a very similar and competing product.  Maybe it will help someone see how things can be done better, maybe not.

August 27, 2009 8:27:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not sure you can compare HON and DemiGod

HON whilst newer and having lots of heroes has an even more unfriendly community than demigod, I am yet to play a single game where someone doesn't abuse someone else

August 27, 2009 8:58:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Having played a few games of HoN now too, I can see where Demigod is failing even more.

However, what Demigod has to it's strengths are the graphics engines, I also like the variety of skills. It does play differently to DOTA and I also feel it is a little more pick up and play. Games in Demigod seem to last significantly shorter than HoN, I prefer that.

The things that I hope they can improve on :

*** The lobby system. HoN is way ahead, predicted win percentages, showing what you are risking in terms of winning/losing, everything slick. Lots of options.

** Connections in game. Every game I have played in HoN was 5v5, started no problems, no lag. Sadly I wish I could play DG like that, but it just doesn't happen.

** Maps. Yes I know HoN has only a couple. However, for me I feel the maps in DG are just too simple. There should be lots of shortcuts through lanes, places where ambushes can be laid.

* More Demigods.

* More and balanced items.

At the moment, given the complexity for a new played to the DOTA/HoN experience, I feel that DG is like a taster of the genre, easy to get in to and pick up. However, for long term interest, I am not sure it has the depth there.

I love Stardocks approach though and will likely pop into DG now and again, keeping an eye on Elemental too. However, S2 are also a good developer, I played Savage quite a lot. Hopefully both games can stay alive.

August 27, 2009 9:41:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did, and i understand what you are saying, i just fail to see how singing the praises of other games is going to help the Dg community.

New players see posts just as this and may go staright for HoN or LoL without really sinking their teeth into DG first.

If the ship is sinking as many of you doomsayers profess, there is little point in helping it go down.

Talk up Demigod and its good points.

Take the i HoN to the HoN forums......

August 27, 2009 9:55:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did, and i understand what you are saying, i just fail to see how singing the praises of other games is going to help the Dg community.

That is not true, hopefully, it means that good points of that game are then incorporated into DG.

Maintaining a "place your head in a bucket of sand" standpoint will equal game failure.

August 27, 2009 10:01:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sinzer,
However, what Demigod has to it's strengths are the graphics engine...

I actually wonder if this is a detriment.  Frogboy confirmed that there are no new maps in the pipeline because they are "very expensive" to create.  I'm assuming the animations for the demigods and their skills are also more complex, and thus expensive, than what is seen in these other DoTA inpsired games.  So by creating an engine capable of such beautiful graphics, it also raises the barrier to entry by third party developers (i.e., the modding community) that would/could sustain the game over the long term.

August 27, 2009 12:19:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,

New players see posts just as this and may go staright for HoN or LoL without really sinking their teeth into DG first.

If the ship is sinking as many of you doomsayers profess, there is little point in helping it go down.

Talk up Demigod and its good points.

Take the i HoN to the HoN forums......

I think that you are missing the point, LoL and HoN are in BETA, Demigod is a released product with paying customers.

For me the complaint is not about stability but about gameplay and the amount of time it takes to get a game going (btw, starting a game CAN be fast, but tends to take much too long).  There are bugs, really annoying bugs that make you want to not play (for me it is pathing, I hate the pathing algorithm because it hates me).  The main point here is this: I paid money for a product that was supposed to be FINISHED.  Does finished mean bug free? No.  I develop software for a living and I understand the fact that there will be problems, it is inevitable.  However, you do not ship a product that has such glaring issues and expect people to be happy that they paid for it.

The fact of the matter is that so far I haven't ran into any issues and have played more games in the short time I have than I could ever play in DG.  I don't care the LoL is free, what I care about more is that the quality in its beta version is high.  Heck, I even had to leave a game one time but then was able to RECONNECT during the middle of a match, what a novel idea.

In summary, do I think DG is a good game?  Yes.  What is my gripe then?  Stop talking about the bugs and fix them.  Stop talking about the new content and deliver it.  I like Brad's approach but to be honest whenever he says things like "developing a new piece of UI is expensive" or "creating a new map is expensive" it rubs me the wrong way because I am the customer, I payed for something and you said you would deliver, now please do so.

August 27, 2009 12:40:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, when I look at DemiGod I don't really feel that this is a complete product. I don't want to say that this is in beta, but paying 50 Euro seems to me a bit too much. Anyhow I bought this game and was not disappointed even if its not very stable on some computers.

I think the game concept of DG differs much to that of HoN and DOTA. I played DOTA 100 times and found it somehow much to comlicated and difficult. Some of my friends I always play with are more like weekend players and in this case I find DG much better choice then DOTA. By the way where do you get your informations from about HoN. I was serching the internet for a while and didn't find a way to a trial on this. Only sort of beta where nobody is able to register anymore and some picture and videos.

But, and I think whats not really mentioned here is that an old game engine with a real good concept and balancing can make much more fun than a game with best graphics and standard concept. Also these algorythms are probalby much better because of much more testing. Additionally when I try to play DG on my Laptop its more like watching pictures. And my laptop isnt that bad...Core2duo1.8ghz 2gb ram and 7900gts 256MB. When I compare this to DOTA is even possible to play it there.It would say this is a big +

August 27, 2009 12:55:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh, I really do love the Demigod is not a clone arguement. Flags and skill trees don't make it different enough and no amount of "Lalala I can't hear you" is going to change that. I'm sure the people who take the time to offer helpful critisim are far more valuable than the "gee Brad, you're so spiffy" /twinkle twinkle, posts.

BTW its been stated many times, HoN has a few unique gods that are not ported from Dota so not a 100% copy and LoL is all new.

I will conceed, if anything, these post should go to the GPG forums instead.

August 27, 2009 1:26:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NeutralGood_DN,
But get this. you PAID money to be playing with people online, and yet you have to wait in the lobby for 20 minutes sometimes just to get a game going.

Take your premade and join another premade game.  Bam, game in less than five minutes.  I always find it funny that the lobby lists four games with 3/6 players with "Pro only" in the title.  Yeah, the matchmaking in this game is non-existent, but you can do your own matchmaking.

Quoting NeutralGood_DN,
But with a free game you don't... Stardock needs to do something to fix this fast.

I had the same thought. . . 2 months ago.  Now I am just resigned to the fact that it isn't going to change and I will make the best of it until something better comes along.  The game itself is great, but the lobby implementation is arguably worse than some RTS games I was playing a decade ago.  There has to be some serious money for a company that could develop a turn-key multiplayer matchmaking system that can be licensed to 3rd parties.

August 27, 2009 1:40:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SOME fair points - I personally know of several players who have dropped DG until the new dgs come out in favor of HoN.  I've played the HoN beta and find that I don't enjoy the game all that much (and I do know how to play, etc).  I'm glad I had a chance to try it out, but I won't be buying the game when its released.  Also, I figure some former DG players will come on back here once HoN goes retail without picking up the game.  HoN does have some great connectivity features/community features already, but me personally, I just don't like the game much. 

August 27, 2009 2:58:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Demigod may not have a huge player base, but since 1.01 i have never waited more than 5min to get a match.

If you're having problems getting in to a custom game, try pantheon. If you look at the stats there are roughly 1500-2000 pantheon matches played per day. Your chances of getting in a few of them is quite high.

BTW I tried HoN and I hated it. It does have very nice matchmaking features, but the game itself is crap.

Demigod is the opposite. Great game, but community/matchmaking features are lacking.

To me it is worth waiting 5min to play a great game, rather than instantly getting in to a crap game...

P.S Love the avatar Pacov

August 27, 2009 6:42:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just to weigh in with my noob $0.02... I think DG was a good deal for $40, but not a great one.  I've already played it longer than some other games I've purchased, so I was by no means ripped off.

However, I've played several other RTS games with multiplayer nearly or just as good, plus a decent single player campaign, lobby system and cutscenes to boot.  World in Conflict and Red Alert 3 come to mind.

On the upshot, I've never had a problem finding custom games, although lag is somewhat of an issue once it starts.

August 27, 2009 6:58:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obbeskrutt,
Keep in mind that HoN is still in Beta, and will cost over $30 when it goes retail. But also keep in mind that HoN is not a new game on its own, but a cardboard copy of DotA with _nothing_ new to it with exception for the fluid 3D engine and the matchmaking UI.

Sorry but I highly doubt you've even played HoN after reading this. There's a lot of new heroes with more being released almost weekly (although a lot are ports), and 2 new maps already with more in the works.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000062   Page Render Time: