The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fences Idea: Fences in Explorer

By on August 20, 2009 3:42:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It would be really nice to have Fences inside of Explorer, or even another app with Explorer's functions.  Heck, add it to the View options: List, Detail, Tile, Fences.  I love having my desktop organized with Fences - having my folder organized the same way would be great.  I might actually use something other than Detail view if I had this.

+9 Karma | 13 Replies
August 20, 2009 4:47:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Perhaps you could explain what Fences are, so more people (like myself) know what you're talking about?

August 20, 2009 8:51:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

August 21, 2009 4:34:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed. That would be useful.

August 21, 2009 5:01:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree it looks awesome, but most people just need to put less shortcuts on their desktop, period. Most people need to look for a shortcut because they put pretty much every silly thing on there. Not even to mention downloading to your desktop map.

I have 0 icons on my desktop at the moment. Yes, zero. And yes I can find eveything quickly. A solid map/partition structure helps a lot too by the way.

August 21, 2009 6:23:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like that the only icon on destkop is the recycle bin

Everything else is pinned on taskbar (Windows 7 )

August 21, 2009 7:13:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've got about 10 things on the desktop; I've never considered it a badge of honor to have less things, it's just that with more, it's harder to find them. But I know plenty of people whose desktops are completely full with crap, and who refuse to remove any of it (luddites!), so there is a clientelle.

August 21, 2009 10:24:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

to me, when i put things on the desktop, its not about things being "easier/harder to find" but rather the fact that the desktop provides "instant access" to the recent/frequent-access things of all my top topics.

August 21, 2009 10:29:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

p.s. good suggestion, i just don't know how i'd do it!!

think it would fit the bill if, in explorer on Vista or Win 7, you could quickly group stuff together via similar method, and it would show up in groups like when you right click a folder and do say "Group By --> Name"?

August 21, 2009 3:45:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well it should be easily doable as W7 gadgets can be placed anywhere and I'm sure a gadget containing some shortcuts isn't that hard to do.

And if you want easy access why not use the quicklaunch? It saves you a click each time......

August 21, 2009 11:05:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JMB1984,
to me, when i put things on the desktop, its not about things being "easier/harder to find" but rather the fact that the desktop provides "instant access" to the recent/frequent-access things of all my top topics.

Yeah, what I was trying to say was that when you fill up your desktop, it's harder to sort through all the junk files, so I like to keep mine reasonably small.

August 22, 2009 12:42:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also if you have a small amount of RAM and a lot of icons on your desktop, they will eventually show up, but with a lot of laaaaaaaaaaaaag.
That's why Fences are so cool

August 22, 2009 7:42:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How do fences help with that? If I look at my gagdets they take quite a bit of RAM and I assume fences are no different. Maybe you could use caching to help but nothing can fix low RAM except more RAM

August 22, 2009 1:40:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How do fences help with that? If I look at my gagdets they take quite a bit of RAM and I assume fences are no different. Maybe you could use caching to help but nothing can fix low RAM except more RAM

Correct.

About the previous post.
I don't know what the f*ck I was thinking. I guess I mixed up RAM with caching

Another of my attempts to help - another fail

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000218   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.