The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Phenomena observed as a Demigod 'Pro' game host

By on August 15, 2009 3:31:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alterschism

Join Date 08/2008
+6

Skip right to the giant letters and bold words if you don't like to read lots.

First off, I have absolutely nothing against 'noobs' (or to put it more accurately, simply 'inexperienced players'). I was a noob. You were a noob, we all sucked at one point and fed enemy teams wonderful items and upgrades. I don't mind a new player (one with very few total games under his/her belt) coming into a game of mine. I like to teach and coach and give friendly advice in-game, even to opponents.

Secondly, I do not consider myself a 'pro' or some other label that indicates I'm proud and think I can pwn you. But sometimes I'm in a competitive mood and want an even, challenging game. Thus I set out to host one. I usually make game titles like "US 3v3 *Pro's only*" or "US 3v3 NO NOOBS" just to try and make my intended point clear and simple. Then I sit and wait in the game lobby to see who joins. And usually, unless I'm sick and tired of spending time doing it, and decide to leave the teams' balance to fate (always a bad idea), I alt-tab to check people's stats, to make sure that (whatever their win percentage) they at least have 50 or so games played. I want a fun, interesting game, not a slaughter for one team (even if I'm on it; that's no fun either). Then I observe things like this happen:

A. A player joins who has played 10 games or less.

B. A player joins with around 20 games played total, 17 of which were losses, and claims to be a 'Pro.'

C. A player like either A or B joins, I tell them why this isn't the game for them, they say nothing and don't leave, or argue, and I am forced to boot them.

D. A player like C joins, I tell them why this isn't the game for them, they say nothing and don't leave, or argue, I therefore boot them, and then they come back yelling at me for what a jerk I am.

So I ask my fellow players and hosts this: WTF?

I've talked to fellow waiting players in-lobby, and below are some things I've heard as explanations. Let's discuss whether these are true. Er, you can discount the third one, I'm pretty sure that's not generally true. ^^

• People don't read game titles, only keywords (like 'EU' and '3v3'). Is this true? Please tell me this isn't true. I've heard this A LOT.
  • There aren't enough games to choose from, so people join a 'pro' game anyway, because they don't care about a challenge or losing, they just want to play.
  • People are bitches. This one is more a joke between other waiting players than a serious explanation, so someone please give me a better theory as to why people rejoin my game and start bitching at me for kicking them when I first explained to them why I and the other players in the lobby would rather they not play here.

What gives? Let's share thoughts and maybe we can all understand our fellow players a little better and be better and more efficient game hosts.

Locked Post 49 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 15, 2009 3:55:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can understand your frustration. I would and have never ever join a "Pro game", i never think I would ever get to that level. What is a pro anyway in the demigod community?

August 15, 2009 4:09:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand your frustration bro.  ANd i also want to say thanks.  THe reason I say thanks is that you are looking for total games played which is more indicative of a persons experience.  I know there is still some question to their skill level but experience isn't related to wins versus losses.  SInce this is a Team game, getting put on a bad team, or with a team where someone drops / quits or going up against a lot of premades really tanks the ole win loss ratio.   I find that I the above happens a lot more than it doesn't.  Pantheon would even it out but theres too much of a chance of playing against ai or having teams unbalanced because its 3v1.  Heck 3v1 would be better than 3 v 3 (with 2 ai).

Twinsen, most people who think they are pro in this community are 12 year olds who can cuss without getting caught by there parents lol.The really good players from what i've seen tend to be pretty cool.(while they spank you lol)

j

August 15, 2009 4:14:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hm. I've become aware that the word 'pro' scares a lot of people from joining the game, and that's good, because I want to discourage people who aren't pretty darn good at the game from joining, so I can have a good battle.

But it's just a word. Hell, to me, the ideal person joining the game would be someone who knows when to run from a fight, knows when to pursue, knows when to farm creeps and when to attack towers, helps out teammates in need (coordinated skill use is lovely), and contributes to buying upgrades (hopefully the not-useless ones), and... just... doesn't play like a moron. Feeding would also be discouraged.

Basically, someone who has played a good number of games to get the hang of what to do and what not to do in general. 50 games is enough to start getting the idea. I just don't like slaughters.

August 15, 2009 4:29:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In my experience, pro doesn't ever seem to draw in excellent people (you might get 1 or 2 tops), no noobs seems to do slightly better, but inexperienced people will still join.  Not many good solutions to this other than what you are doing.  Maybe try XvX Expert only. 

If I'm checking stats, I first look at rank and then check out total numbers of games.  If they have quite a few games (> 50 and their win loss rate isn't abysmal), then that's typically good enough to make it interesting. 

August 15, 2009 4:36:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This has been mention but they did a study and found the people who think their professional tend to suck more  then people who think their average on a stastical scale. The theory goes that being bad at something also prevents you from realizing your bad at something and ironically as you get better you realize your failings and think your worst then when you started.

The next point is because they think their awesome no matter how polietely you say "I don't think this is the game for you." they translate that in their head too "YOU SUCK." Ironically if you had said to them "I don't think this is the game for you, your too awesome." (Even if he has lost his last 17 games.) they would leave as you not breaking their self image. 

Marking you game "Intermediate" is more likely to attract good people then marking the game as "NO NOOBS" cause no one think their a noob or "Pro" for the reason mentioned. 

August 15, 2009 9:45:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mrappard,
This has been mention but they did a study and found the people who think their professional tend to suck more  then people who think their average on a stastical scale. The theory goes that being bad at something also prevents you from realizing your bad at something and ironically as you get better you realize your failings and think your worst then when you started.

The next point is because they think their awesome no matter how polietely you say "I don't think this is the game for you." they translate that in their head too "YOU SUCK." Ironically if you had said to them "I don't think this is the game for you, your too awesome." (Even if he has lost his last 17 games.) they would leave as you not breaking their self image. 

Marking you game "Intermediate" is more likely to attract good people then marking the game as "NO NOOBS" cause no one think their a noob or "Pro" for the reason mentioned.

funny and true for some parts you made me smile

August 15, 2009 10:33:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Players not responding to chat when you're directly addressing them - even when the on-screen chat is the only focus and the only thing that's moving - is something that has baffled me since the dawn of internet.

It's not the fact that it happens in the first place that gets me - sometimes we're talking to someone out of game, we're not looking, or we go paint the garage - but how frequently it happens. Before I boot someone (not for reasons stated in the OP, and not even just in this game), I always ask very specifically "Playername, are you there?", or "Playername, are you reading  chat?", and very rarely do I get a response. Very frequently though, they will send me a PM or re-join the game in order to throw a fit and ask me why I kicked them.

I just.. don't get it. At all.

August 16, 2009 2:14:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Alterschism,
Hm. I've become aware that the word 'pro' scares a lot of people from joining the game, and that's good, because I want to discourage people who aren't pretty darn good at the game from joining, so I can have a good battle.

But it's just a word. Hell, to me, the ideal person joining the game would be someone who knows when to run from a fight, knows when to pursue, knows when to farm creeps and when to attack towers, helps out teammates in need (coordinated skill use is lovely), and contributes to buying upgrades (hopefully the not-useless ones), and... just... doesn't play like a moron. Feeding would also be discouraged.

Basically, someone who has played a good number of games to get the hang of what to do and what not to do in general. 50 games is enough to start getting the idea. I just don't like slaughters.

Very Very true. But as you can see from MY record I havent played much, and have lost quite a few, usually Disconnects or Premades that dont say they are. But I have almost always been the best player on my team. I mention myself because If I were to join you would kick me, because of my record. You also say that there is a difference with the total nub, and the competent player. If you kick all the people you think are noobs, how can you get competent players to join?

Im not attacking you, just showing theres a bit of a flaw in your thinking. By kicking all players with bad records, you are not finding if they have "common Sense".

August 16, 2009 3:30:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But I have almost always been the best player on my team. I mention myself because If I were to join you would kick me, because of my record.

Reaver - I really don't want to bust your chops here too much, but I do want to make a point.  You certainly appear to be the type of person this thread is about.  You believe you are a great player ("I have almost always been the best player on my team"), but have a losing record.  You are the type of person who would join a pro game.  You think that because the people in a game with you are subpar (in your opinion of course), that you belong in a "pro" game.  I disagree. 

If you and ladder rank #1 took me on with 1 of my buddies, odds are you would lose.  Why?  It's not because ladder rank #1 is a terrible player.  It's because you don't have a substantial amount of experience.  Take a moment and check out my stats via this link:  http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/search/player/pacov.  Now, do you think I might have a little more experience than you at Demigod?  Ok.  That said, do you think I might be a better player than you (just based on how many games I've played compared to you - or even my win/loss ratio)? 

Ok - all of that said, I don't look down on you in any way.  It's a game and if you stick with it, you will eventually become an expert and easily be able to play at an extremely high level.  As it is, the only thing we have to look at are your stats, and even though you are "the best player on [your] team," you still have a losing record with only a few games tied to your stats. 

Please consider that you are not necessarily joining games against the world's greatest opponents.  Check stats before you play.  If you take down ladder ranked #1, odds are you are awesome.  If you take out ladder ranked #30,000... well, that's not quite as cool.  BUT - if you lose, it is not necessarily because of disconnects or premades that lie to you about being premades.  It might (MAYBE) be because you don't have a lot of experience yet. 

August 16, 2009 9:06:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And your the type of person to kick anyone with crappy records. I know how to play, find me and we will see. Ive played DotA for 4 years (or so) so I know the basics of the game here, the foundations this game is based on. Sucks that people like you think people like me are bad due to some ranking system that doesnt really show experience.

Find me, and lets play together, then you see that your dead wrong. I have no problem with you, just your "kind". (people that are worried about some stupid rank) This topic means little to me. If you think that way then screw it, Ill join any game and just play. I have no care for a rank to be good, Competitive play is bad. (in the experiences ive had) so it looks like im stuck then, no way to get better, always between the nubs and the "pros"...

August 16, 2009 9:43:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

stats mean nothing. i have lost 59 games coz of bad team mates! 1 game i did get outplayed though

August 16, 2009 12:07:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

reaver, this game is all about competition... and what else should a host look for, but your stats?

pacov was very polite, as always, but he is right.

but of course, statistics are not all and noone said, that you´ve got no skill... but if i had to choose between a guy with 40% and one with 80%, why the hell should i take the 40% one to be in my team??

i get a lot of noobs in my "pro" or "advanced" games too and almost all keep telling that they are very highly skilled... well, some time ago, i´ve played those games versus them. raped them pretty rough... i am bored of these games now, so i kick those guys.

with a replay function i would understand them, if they wanted to learn something. but this way, they get raped and thats all. i wonder how anyone is able to have fun with this

August 16, 2009 11:32:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Op i agree  that the number of games is way more imp than the win/loss or ladder ranking.

August 17, 2009 5:52:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've said it in a few posts in the past already and I'll say it again. Stardock needs to add filtering player options available to the Host's settings.

Minutes played ex) If a player does not have at least 1000 minutes played they get a message when they click on a game in the lobby "You do not meet the requirements"

Win Percentage ex) set to 60% (same message as above)

Number of Disconnects ex) set to Maximum of 20 (message can be "You exceed the maximum number of disconnects"

August 17, 2009 6:03:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Number of Disconnects ex) set to Maximum of 20 (message can be "You exceed the maximum number of disconnects"

too harsh, it should be less than 5-10% of your total games.

August 17, 2009 6:07:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,

too harsh, it should be less than 5-10% of your total games.

Just an example really to make a point about filtering tools to give the community more control, Host can set it to variable 1-1000 for all anyone cares. Just anything remotely close to these kinds of settings would prevent most if not all of what the OP has stated.

August 17, 2009 8:01:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So If someone had 50 disconnects by some stupid networking problem(maybe his own problem, maybe Stardocks) he wouldnt be able to join the majority of the games?!

August 17, 2009 8:11:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Being a good gamer has a greater status than it deserves. People, particularly younger people, tend to hang their feelings of self worth on being a good gamer. This is the reason (I think) people do some of the things they do. The term noob just reinforces the attitude, derision for those who do poorly, and the fattening of egos for those who do well, plus an opportunity to deride the poorer players...It's pretty messed up atm imo.

August 17, 2009 9:03:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People, particularly younger people, tend to hang their feelings of self worth on being a good gamer.

your a pro or your a noob, thats life.

August 17, 2009 9:44:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About the game titles.... There is a BIG difference between how people (including me) look at NO NOOBS and PRO's ONLY. No noobs means you want players who don't suck. This means that you will get everyone from begginer-intermediate to super-ultra-pro. Pro only means you are looking for very good-expert-pro's. Notice the difference?

If you check my stats you would probably say OMFG wraid is a total noob, i will kick him from every game i see him in. But you simply can NOT (!!!!!) quantify a person's skill in any way by pure numbers. My loosing streak could mean that i suck at the game or that i have a hard time picking good teams.

I personally think that i am an ok player (or even a intermediate - good player) but it just hurts when i get kicked because of my stats. I played a lot of games in which people have asked me if i was premade with someone or a pro in a noobs only game. I stay on my feet, pay attention to what's going on around me, try hard not to get exposed help ally dgs whenever i have the mana and the opportunity. I don't feed and rarely suicide, i flag lock important flags (fortitude), i know how to effectively dance and kite someone.

Maybe that seems like bragging but i am just trying to point out that whilst i am by no means a pro i am also not a noob.

Was searching last night (or 2 days ago, not sure exactly) for a game. There was one 3v3 no noobs by solomonic. I joined because i do not consider myself a noob. Neither do i consider myself a pro or very good player but then again the title said no noobs not pro only. So i joined that game and solomonic said that i had no place there and i should leave because i am a noob. I insisted that i was not, i was intermediate. He kicked me anyway.

Now, i am not upset at solomonic. He had no reason to trust me. For all he knew, i was a "rq feeder fag lol". I was just pointing out that it can be hurtful sometimes when you are kicked by someone because of your stats. I personally try to give players the benefit of the doubt. But then again sometimes people are just sick of noobs playing their first online game in a pro only lobby and have no patience for giving someone a chance thereby risking to blow the entire game.

When you are naming your games try something like EU 3v3...blablabla... experienced players (50+ games) or 50+ wins etc.

Also, there are a few tip offs to wether a player is a noob. Like Alterschism said:

-sitting on your ass and not saying anything when someone asks you if you are a noob

-not pressing ready when everybody says "rdy up".

-asking what a premade is.

-returning after being kicked and calling you an a-hole.

It's pretty easy to identify noobs. I can also tell when a person is about to rage quit (although that is not really usefull unless you can identify him before the game starts).

Lol, just wrote a wall of text. Anyway, my point is : Try giving people the benefit of the doubt. If they let you down, blacklist them somewhere and kick them on sight next time, or untill their stats go way waaay up.

Thanx 4 readin' .

August 17, 2009 9:47:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to say I have the exact opposite of the OP's experience.

I have been trying for the life of me to host some genuine "noob" games.  In almost every title of the game I have had the word "noob" or "noobs" or "newbs".

As you can see by my record it has not been so.  I am not terrible at the game but I am not a pro either.  Yet I have had people join the game with ~100-50 records and up with very FEW actual noobs join the game.

They have given me reasons such as:

• Well this was the only game up.
  • I just wanted to noob bash
  • Wait I didn't see noob in the title?
  • Wait, this is a noobs only game?
  • and so on and so forth...

The full on ones who are in there to noob bash have not only admitted it but then just said to quit your bitching and to not play the game at all if you don't want to lose.

So it just leaves me and my friend with trying to decide if this game is even worth still playing lol  I am beginning to understand why there are so few remaining players in the community with jerks like that floating about.

I have been in the community for about a week now ( some of you I can recognize from my introduction post   )  and I am at a loss as to how to proceed.  I do manage to win a few games here and there but for the most part but overall its complete steam rolls where we have no chance what so ever to win.

The computer is far too easy even on Nightmare AI level and it seems I cannot get any decently ranked games to get some more practice in versus actual people.

Any suggestions? Should I give up on my "noobs only" approach and just leave noob out of the game title?

August 17, 2009 10:19:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

EHThripshaw putting in the title "no favor items" helps to reduce the number of non-noobs that join. Generally speaking once you get favor items you like using them all the time and noobs almost by definition can't afford them. Also don't play Cataract or don't play Conquest and mark that in your title. Noob basher tend to want to play a easy game where they win (Often cause they keep loosing other games.) requring them to play different and thus think makes their heads hurt so their less likely to join.

Don't worry pretty soon people will be complaining to you about you and your friend being premade soon enough.

August 17, 2009 10:22:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting EHThripshaw,
Any suggestions? Should I give up on my "noobs only" approach and just leave noob out of the game title?

Try not saying anything like noobs or pro. Try a XvX EU. That way, it usually means that you will have a least a noob and a pro (or at least a good player) on each team. The bigger the game, the bigger the odds of ballance. Don't be shy about telling people to switch teams for ballance. Although you might give the impression that you are just making room for your premade friends. But if you just explain that it is for ballance purpose, then they should understand.

You'll have a good chance to learn something if you have a pro on your team. Even if you get steamrolled, you will most likely get advice from him like what armor to get what skill to invest in, what upgrade to buy etc. Don't be afraid to ask. I find that 60% of pro's are actually very nice fellows.

August 17, 2009 11:07:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
So If someone had 50 disconnects by some stupid networking problem(maybe his own problem, maybe Stardocks) he wouldnt be able to join the majority of the games?!

ABSOLUTELY!  AND THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO!

If you have networking issues that cause you to consistently drop from the game then you need to FIX the issues or play something else.  This is a team based multiplayer game.  If you consistently have connection issues, or do not know how to use the scheduler on your bittorrent program, or have a siblings/roomates who won't be curteous to your online gaming habits then play something else.  If your bedtime is within 45 minutes of starting the game and you know your parents are going to pull the plug, then go play L4D or COD.  If you Rage quit like a little angry german kid then either take some xanax or play counterstrike & WoW. Everyone on a team agrees to play against the other team before the game is started.  Bailing out before the game ends just screws everyone.

The stats that I want to see the most are the following:

1.  How many games have been quit total

2.  How many games have conceded then quit (before the game ends)  

For #1 this will show how unreliable a teammate is (connection issues or just quits).  #2 will be a direct display of the level of assholishness of the player. If a person conceded then quit then you know damn well it wasn't a hardware issue.

Of the last 8 games i've played 7 have had one or more people quit in the middle of the game.  Hell 2 of the games I played over the weekend had 2 (of the 3 people on my team) quit before the end of the game when we were Winning!  Heck I even came close to winning the matches on my own but just couldn't maintain the war score.  How can anyone have a good win percentage with this many people who quit mid match?

Pacov, I respect you, kalel and trousersnake as players.  All 3 of you are damn good and what I would consider "pro" I don't mind getting spanked as I watch you guys kite & dance well together.  But you have to admit that your 80% win percentage has more to do with playing with people that you know and play well with. A major indicative stat pertaining to your experience is your number of games played total.

But what if you're like me?  (an intermediate player, not noob not Pro)  I only have one RL friend who playes this game.  The rest of my clan plays FPS games.  It's rare when I play with the same team more than once.  We're constantly facing the issues that i mentioned above.  Does that make us bad players?  Is our win percentage so lacking that we get kicked out of games when they are the only games available?  (Just so you don't have to look it up) Currently i have a 37.9% win percentage with over 100 games under my belt.  I bet that 80% of my losses have someone on my team who has quit the game.  Quitters aren't being penalized at all but those with low win percentage are.

I've heard the arguments "why don't you play pantheon" - cuz if im going to play against AI i might as well do it in a custom single player game so i can make them nightmare or similar.  The one nice thing about pantheon though is the lack of premades. I don't mind playing against premades cut would consider it a courtesy to know up front.

As a solution I think clans have to get set-up and possibly the prevention of AI playing in the pantheon.

j

August 17, 2009 11:08:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wraid:

"I find that 60% of pro's are actually very nice fellows."

I agree with that, the other 40% say they're pro but aren't hahaha.

j

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: