The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Map Idea: Waterfall (with pics)

By on August 13, 2009 3:46:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

TheScottish...

Join Date 04/2009
+81

since modding is still TBA i've been really slowing down with new map idea (still thinking them up, just not posting them).  anyway i thought i'd post this one up just for old times sakes .

Map Idea: Waterfall

# of Players:

8-10 players    (good for 4v4 or 5v5 matches)

Mode:

Good for all game modes

Basic:

Appearance:

Like the name suggests this map id based around the idea of a waterfall.  Not just around a waterfall but actually in the waterfall.  the basic idea is to have the waterfall falling across the map with half the map behind while the other half is outside the waterfall.  reason for this for a distorting effect when looking throught the waterfall.  similar to the second picture here:

(Below is the position of the waterfall across the map)

Structures:

Still figuring out flags and towers but here are the citadels and portals:

Pathing:

so pathing is kind of weird so bare with me.  basicly there are 2 portal behind each citadel and then 2 neautral portals off to the side that will join the path and follow the outer circle around to the portals. the idea is for the longer path to build up more grunts while the shorter middle path remains with only one wave.  this way player arn't having to move their camra angle every time the grunts cross the waterfall since it takes o long for them to move around

Conclusion:

pretty basic with no real strategies building based on the map, however the waterfall will cause players to use camera angles more and maybe even allow for hidding in the waterfall for ambushes?  if anyone has any questions of concerns about the map feel free to post.   also if anyone wants to take a crack at flag and towers be my guest.  can't wait for modding to come out so i can actually try building some of these maps

Locked Post 14 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 13, 2009 3:51:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

4-10 players? That's 2v2 to 5v5.

August 13, 2009 4:01:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oops.. thanx for catching that.. changed to 8 - 10 players

August 13, 2009 4:44:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yet another masterpiece by TSA .

What if you put another creep portal right in the center? Or some important flag, making teams fighting for control over that point. I think it will be more "epic" if people mostly fight there, since the waterfall flows through that point. The map is kickass and actually possible to make with the game's engine I think.

Love the shape of the map. I can just see regs or TB shooting DGs from those ledges close to the center. I think this map encourajes ranged abilities, tower farms and maybe some AoE when it gets too crowded at the center.

August 13, 2009 7:44:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't it just kill you that we can't even begin to work on maps?

August 13, 2009 8:27:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only reason GPG doesn't release a map mod SDK is because thescottishalien will have surpassed their own map count in two weeks

Nah just kidding, making maps is a hard, complex and tedious job. But you gotta love than infinite stream of creativity coming of out this guy!

August 13, 2009 8:46:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't it just kill you that we can't even begin to work on maps?

yes... yes it does.  Every morning i wake up a little more dead then the day before .  Pretty sure when the SDK comes out i'm not going to sleep for a week.. maybe two.  look out redbull, here i co me

August 13, 2009 8:48:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[Forum Bugged Out]

August 13, 2009 10:20:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll be there with you trying to figure this out.

August 13, 2009 11:10:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does the game engine handle z-axis for maps?
Not well.

August 15, 2009 12:50:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brilliant idea! Would be funny if the water fall puts out Torch Bearer's fire in fire mode when he's passing through, or freezes if he was in ice mode.

August 15, 2009 1:06:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As always, your map ideas are astonishing.

There's already a water-based map (Leviathan) with small waterfalls, but such an effect like in the picture would be awesome (if you have a good enough GPU).

August 15, 2009 1:10:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cateract is water based as well, but don't let that take away from how brilliant this map is.

August 17, 2009 5:17:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice idea, as usual.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000140   Page Render Time: