The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

new strange performance problem

By on August 13, 2009 1:11:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

MosteM

Join Date 05/2009

Hello Demigod community!

I've searched this forum for a while, but this problem doesn't seem to have occured before.

In matches with 3 vs 3 my simspeed is about 7 which is lower than on a PC of a friend of mine who's PC is slower. This is strange, but no problem. But with 5 vs 5 (all others are ai) the simspeed drops to 0 - 2 which is a lot slower than on the other PC. When playing on the internet on big maps with 5 vs 5 the simspeed is about -1 - 1 and scrolling gets exhausting. And when I play with the before mentioned friend together (who is behind the same router as I am) the game gets unplayable (only 5 vs 5 matches). The pings are always good, but the fps get really low. This problem starts with the beginning of the match and never gets better. I've tried /nosound and /nomovie, but it didn't change anything. Changing the graphics settings doesn't do anything either.

To put it in a nutshell, the game gets slower the more demigods there are, it gets slower if the game is an internet game and it gets slower if I play together with somebody who's PC is behind the same router.

My PC is good enough to play all new games and to normaly get quite a high simspeed:

AMD Phenom II X4 940

Geforce GTX 260

4GB RAM

newest drivers installed

Win XP Sp3

upload bandwidch is > 2Mb/s

My only guess is that the network chip on the mother board is slowing things down, but this seems strange to me.

I hope some of you know what to do about this and I hope I could make everything clear because English isn't my native tongue.

Thanks in advice for every help!

MosteM

Locked Post 2 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 14, 2009 10:24:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do you have Cool & Quiet (CnQ) enabled in Bios? It could be a bug that is causing your CPU to drop it's clock speed, as at 3Ghz your computer should have no problems with 5v5.

Try disabling CnQ in your BIOS, and see if the problem persists.

Are you running 32bit XP? You may be running out of RAM as 32bit has a limit of ~3.8GB, minus the 896MB of your GPU it leaves you with 2GB useable - you may just be ruinning out of RAM when running AI for creeps on such large maps. Ignore this advice if you're running XP64

August 14, 2009 12:53:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I use a 32bit version indeed. So turning down the texture quality should probably help here, because they should use the most RAM. And I'll try disabling CnQ. Thanks for the advice! I'll report if it helped. But it still doesn't explain why the performance gets worse, if I play with 10 people over the internet... well let's see.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time: