The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

How to *objectively* balance the game

Players whine, numbers don't.

By on August 12, 2009 11:22:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I were GPG I would log (at the end of each game) all ingame decisions like which item gets bought how often, which Demigods and which skills are chosen. All items in the same price class that are bought very rarely by the gamers are apparently not worth buying and should be buffed/changed. Same goes for skills.

If that is too complex, I'd just look at the already available win/loss ratio of each Demigod and balance accordingly. The win/loss ratios are already okay, but for a competitive game like this they should be 50% ± 2% at most. Perhaps the easiest way to balance is to change the Demigod's stat improvements or mana costs of skills.

That would balance the game as objectively as possible, which is very important imho.

+25 Karma | 64 Replies
August 12, 2009 11:40:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Honestly, the best way to balance in my opinion is an official tournament. Then you can see what choices the highest level players make instead of what is just popular (though your method would work for a lot of useless items/skills).

The glaring abnormality I am thinking of is regulus, who while popular, is certainly not the most powerful demigod. 

I remember back in the days where I played wow arena, someone did a graph of rating vs. number of each class. You could see that at the lower rating most the classes were about equal, but that quickly diverged at 2000 and 2200 ratings. 

August 12, 2009 11:52:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you dont know what you are talking about

in what way if the item A is bought twice the item B this fact make the game "not balanced" ???

and why on earth having both items at the same would make the game balanced?

August 12, 2009 12:17:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It would be interesting... holding a tournament where the winners get their Demigod nerfed.

I'd love to hear how that pans out.

As far as objective balancing goes, I certainly hope they're taking a lot more into account than simple win/loss ratios (and I assume that they are).  One number isn't going to illustrate 'what' needs to be balanced and how heavy-handed the change needs to be.

August 12, 2009 12:27:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod does not have serious balance issues.

August 12, 2009 12:44:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

Except Regulus mines and UB in general, no

August 12, 2009 12:49:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the problem with relying on the statistics, is that they can be misleading.

There needs to be some balance (forgive the pun) on who you listen to.

There are exceptions that can be brought up for either side.

I am sure that Stardock view the stats with interest.

However, there will be cases where higher level play will show that popular choices are not necessarily the best nor do they need to be balanced.

Take SF IV for example. At lower levels Ken, Ryu and Sagat (well sagat is OP!) are the most played, however, it is not until you get to higher levels of play can you see that other characters are balanced, if not better in some cases.

The QoT problem is complicated, it is a difficult demigod to play, but can be played to great effect. That is the problem with all the lower win ratio demigods, in the right hands they are more than powerful. At lower levels, they will lose a lot because they are too difficult to play.

My opinion on UB is not necessarily that the DG is OP, but he is simply easier to play (like Ken or Ryu). Most of his skills are passive, this allows the player to use him simply worrying about how to move him around, this allows them to be more aware of their surroundings. A DG like QoT you have to be constantly monitoring your shields, your shamblers and switching forms (like playing with Chun Li, requires more awareness). Unless you employ these techniques you will fail.

In this case, the developers should listen to the high level players, making QoT more powerful may make the game more unbalanced.

However, using the stats can be a good first indicator to show that something is wrong.

Items of similar value can be compared, in general though, I think that damage related items need to be made more attractive.

August 12, 2009 1:05:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

I stared at the computer, thinking, for 5mins... trying to figure if you are right or not. You probably are, bc u said serious.

I will try to stress out a little more about DG balance stuff.

As I said in a previous post somewhere else, DG has a lot of variables to concider when talking about balance.

Why?

Lets get HoN (I'm not a DOTA player, so I will stick with HoN) as a counter part. HoN has mainly 1 playable map that is 90% of the time played 5v5. So they have to mainly balance the game aiming this scenario, 1 map for 5v5 action.

DG. Has a more viriety of maps, and the "worst" part, the game is played 1v1 to 5v5. and A LOT.

The game is very well balanced for 5v5 matches, I would dare to say. What I mean by balance, you may ask.

Well, in a 5v5 match you can chose any DG, and it will be a good pick.

In a 2v2 match, you can't. It will depend upon the map. Prison? There r 2 teams that are superior: LE + Oak and UB + Sedna. Anything but those picks are FAR inferior. So you don't have balance on prison games. 3v3 Matches on prison? Same deal, no balance.

Well, mainly, 2v2 matches, and 1v1 matches wont be balanced. On any small map (crucible, cataract, prison). Those matches you can't play TB or Regulus... and probably not Rook, and prolly not QoT.

On 3v3 matches there are some picks that r inferior (not useless): Regulus, TB.

So, DG is balance for 4v4 and 5v5 action. Or you may say that there is balance among DG since you play each DG on his particular map. Like, Regulus is a good pick at Levi. Each map is for diferent builds and diferent DGs, but DG is not balanced overall.

Hope I made myself clear. For those of you that doesnt know, I'm a brazilian, so, sorry for my poor english

August 12, 2009 1:43:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please, for the love of God, don't use statistics to balance the game.

Why? Because statistics give equal weight to all players' choices, and not all players are good enough to comment on balance (me for instance). Really, the best way to balance the game is to set up a team automatch/tourneys and see if there are specific dominant strategies on high levels of team play.

Sure, there are minor imbalances (from my understanding), but it seems pretty balanced to me. Using stats won't "objectify" the balance, it will just kill it.

August 12, 2009 1:47:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Game is not balanced.  TB/UB/Rook/Reg/Sedna/Oak/Erebus/QoT are all OP.  The upcoming Demon Assassin guy also appears to be OP (wtf Demon Swap?)

August 12, 2009 1:59:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I were GPG I would log (at the end of each game) all ingame decisions like which item gets bought how often, which Demigods and which skills are chosen. All items in the same price class that are bought very rarely by the gamers are apparently not worth buying and should be buffed/changed. Same goes for skills.

If that is too complex, I'd just look at the already available win/loss ratio of each Demigod and balance accordingly. The win/loss ratios are already okay, but for a competitive game like this they should be 50% ± 2% at most. Perhaps the easiest way to balance is to change the Demigod's stat improvements or mana costs of skills.

That would balance the game as objectively as possible, which is very important imho.

Fact is you play QoT a lot and you want to see her buffed. You're taking a roundabout route to justify the buffs you want to see. It's no coincidence that you suggest mana cost adjustments as a solution because QoT is a huge mana hog.

Win rates aren't a good indicator of strength. Most people play rook so badly that to bring his win rate up to par with UB's he would have to become extremely overpowered.

Regulus's win rate isn't so hot, and yet a good Regulus dramatically affects the way an entire team has to play. I've played against very high ranked premades and Reg still gets killer snipes throughout the entire game. Rank 3 mines are excellent, once he gets shrapnel and mark he's quite formiddable and doesn't need buffs.

UB's win rate is crazy because he's simple. There's nothing wrong with more complex DGs losing more in general as long as when good players control them their win rates are on par.

August 12, 2009 2:10:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, mainly, 2v2 matches, and 1v1 matches wont be balanced. On any small map (crucible, cataract, prison). Those matches you can't play TB or Regulus... and probably not Rook, and prolly not QoT.
Rook does absolutely fine in 2v2s on cataract btw. He does fine on crucible as long as he has a general who buys monks.
If it's not on prison I disagree strongly, regulus is a huge asset. TB is a bit different story, frost is too technical to be useful a lot of the time, but fire's raw damage and run speed aura (seriously +15% run/attack speed is nuts) is extremely versatile.

Frost is too dependent on moving into the middle of the fight and freezing everyone, Rain of Ice is excellent but has an excessive cooldown because of its range, Deep Freeze consumes the debuffs you put up and is best used proactively after the first round of attacks, meaning frost has to get into the mix to freeze everyone and then stay in the mix to wait out cooldowns and then prevent action with Deep Freeze. Hybrids tend to forgoe the technical playstyle completely and just spam fireballs and hit RoI whenever it's available. It's good damage but I just don't think it beats the utility of pure fire.

Anyway, I digress. Just looking at win percentages gives a woefully incomplete picture of this game's balance.

August 12, 2009 2:39:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kokujin,

Quoting Polynomial, reply 4Demigod does not have serious balance issues.

I stared at the computer, thinking, for 5mins... trying to figure if you are right or not. You probably are, bc u said serious.

I will try to stress out a little more about DG balance stuff.

As I said in a previous post somewhere else, DG has a lot of variables to concider when talking about balance.

Why?

Lets get HoN (I'm not a DOTA player, so I will stick with HoN) as a counter part. HoN has mainly 1 playable map that is 90% of the time played 5v5. So they have to mainly balance the game aiming this scenario, 1 map for 5v5 action.

DG. Has a more viriety of maps, and the "worst" part, the game is played 1v1 to 5v5. and A LOT.

The game is very well balanced for 5v5 matches, I would dare to say. What I mean by balance, you may ask.

Well, in a 5v5 match you can chose any DG, and it will be a good pick.

In a 2v2 match, you can't. It will depend upon the map. Prison? There r 2 teams that are superior: LE + Oak and UB + Sedna. Anything but those picks are FAR inferior. So you don't have balance on prison games. 3v3 Matches on prison? Same deal, no balance.

So, DG is balance for 4v4 and 5v5 action. Or you may say that there is balance among DG since you play each DG on his particular map. Like, Regulus is a good pick at Levi. Each map is for diferent builds and diferent DGs, but DG is not balanced overall.

Hope I made myself clear. For those of you that doesnt know, I'm a brazilian, so, sorry for my poor english

You make a great point actually. Demigod is MOST balanced in a 5v5 setting. The ONLY reason people make balancing cries is because they don't play 5v5s. If you start balancing to make up for 2v2s 3v3s and 4v4s then balance is going to go to hell. The only tweaking any demigod needs right now is maybe Queen of Thorns. The game is well balanced in a 5v5 setting, which is where it matters. The smaller the games get the more "IMBAs OMGZ" people are going to notice because of the lack of a wide set of skills to use on your team.

August 12, 2009 3:11:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
You make a great point actually. Demigod is MOST balanced in a 5v5 setting. The ONLY reason people make balancing cries is because they don't play 5v5s. If you start balancing to make up for 2v2s 3v3s and 4v4s then balance is going to go to hell. The only tweaking any demigod needs right now is maybe Queen of Thorns. The game is well balanced in a 5v5 setting, which is where it matters. The smaller the games get the more "IMBAs OMGZ" people are going to notice because of the lack of a wide set of skills to use on your team.
I disagree, I think 3v3 and 4v4 are both better balanced than 5v5. 5v5 just reaches a point where it's harder to blame anything on any one DGs deficiencies, it's more about synchronizing attacks and scouting than actually effectiveness of one particular player.

August 12, 2009 3:20:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3v3s are simply not as well balanced as 5v5s. In 3v3s you will run into combinations that are outright more powerful than others. In 5v5s its all about the teamwork and overall strategy rather than being able to straight overpower your opponent. They're more difficult games, but they are far more fair than a 3v3.

5v5s are the epitome of teamwork in this game. The team with better teamwork and strategy will win. Which is how it should be. This is not a game about individual skill as much as it is about a team.

August 12, 2009 3:40:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
3v3s are simply not as well balanced as 5v5s. In 3v3s you will run into combinations that are outright more powerful than others. In 5v5s its all about the teamwork and overall strategy rather than being able to straight overpower your opponent. They're more difficult games, but they are far more fair than a 3v3.

5v5s are the epitome of teamwork in this game. The team with better teamwork and strategy will win. Which is how it should be. This is not a game about individual skill as much as it is about a team.
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I did a quick search of your game history and it looks like you pick UB+Sedna+random DG for every single 3v3 you do. You've got this inflated notion of 3v3 being an UB+Sedna metagame, with which I disagree. I've won many games against that combo without UB or Sedna.

The limited variety of DGs in 3s is one part player preconceptions, one part bugs, and one part imbalanced DGs. Playing 5v5 smooths over the deficiences of individual DGs, but that doesn't mean it's the most balanced bracket. It sounds great to say "The team with better teamwork and strategy will win," but that's an empty statement like "support the troops," "country first," etc. Who really disagrees with any of those things? Only someone who's trying to make you mad would argue with them.

3v3s present more techincal combat than 5s. A clutch interrupt may shut down the other team completely, the consequences of an individual player's actions are magnified. The odds of a player winning a 1v2 are still poor, bouncing back and forth to ambush and outnumber your opponents is critical. Coordination and teamwork are extremely important in 3v3 and 4v4. If your strategy and teamwork are poor you will quickly lose 3v3s and 4v4s just the same as 5v5.

5v5 is not the most popular game size, 3v3 is. Attempting to change the habits of a small playerbase by refusing to discuss and improve the balance of individual DGs is impractical at best, destructively quixotic at worst. Pantheon and Skirmish both present a wide range of game sizes and types, and it's clear they're intended to be part of the balance equation. In fact I would say the smaller brackets provide a much needed focus on some bugs and balance issues. Things like fire TB's lack of moving autoattack, QoT's shambers' inability to attack on the move, QoT's general lack of cohesion, and other issuses would not be fixed as promptly as they should be if not for the smaller brackets' magnifying glass.

August 12, 2009 3:59:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Like someone already mentioned, using datamines/statistics alone to balance a game could be even more artificial than balancing it 'traditionally'.

Sure, datamining can be very helpful as a supplement, but because people use Pounce more often than Silence, does not mean that Silence needs a buff. If everyone used Snipe as an opener rather than a finisher, it would not mean it is a bad skill.

I think it's fine that the DG's have different ratios of being played, and even different win ratios, as long as their potential is the same.

This game is still relatively young. I can tell you for a fact that if the game is left completely unchanged for the next few months, the 'balance' will change, both as the metagame progresses and as people get better. The DG's with the highest skill ceilings will become better than the "easy to play well" ones, and tactics that 'everyone used because they were the best tactic' (save exploits, obviously) will have routine counters that everyone can do without even thinking about it.

August 12, 2009 4:06:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

Quoting Polynomial, reply 143v3s are simply not as well balanced as 5v5s. In 3v3s you will run into combinations that are outright more powerful than others. In 5v5s its all about the teamwork and overall strategy rather than being able to straight overpower your opponent. They're more difficult games, but they are far more fair than a 3v3.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I did a quick search of your game history and it looks like you pick UB+Sedna+random DG for every single 3v3 you do. You've got this inflated notion of 3v3 being an UB+Sedna metagame, with which I disagree. I've won many games against that combo without UB or Sedna.
The limited variety of DGs in 3s is one part player preconceptions, one part bugs, and one part imbalanced DGs. Playing 5v5 smooths over the deficiences of individual DGs, but that doesn't mean it's the most balanced bracket. It sounds great to say "The team with better teamwork and strategy will win," but that's an empty statement like "support the troops," "country first," etc. Who really disagrees with any of those things? Only someone who's trying to make you mad would argue with them.

3v3s present more techincal combat than 5s. A clutch interrupt may shut down the other team completely, the consequences of an individual player's actions are magnified. The odds of a player winning a 1v2 are still poor, bouncing back and forth to ambush and outnumber your opponents is critical. Coordination and teamwork are extremely important in 3v3 and 4v4. If your strategy and teamwork are poor you will quickly lose 3v3s and 4v4s just the same as 5v5.

5v5 is not the most popular game size, 3v3 is. Attempting to change the habits of a small playerbase by refusing to discuss and improve the balance of individual DGs is impractical at best, destructively quixotic at worst. Pantheon and Skirmish both present a wide range of game sizes and types, and it's clear they're intended to be part of the balance equation. In fact I would say the smaller brackets provide a much needed focus on some bugs and balance issues. Things like fire TB's lack of moving autoattack, QoT's shambers' inability to attack on the move, QoT's general lack of cohesion, and other issuses would not be fixed as promptly as they should be if not for the smaller brackets' magnifying glass.

You cannot balance a game with all these demigods to "fairly" match with each other demigod. Its not possible. You say in 3v3s certain things will shut down a team. This is why 5v5s are more balanced. Its the overall strategy that will win a game, not small little victories. Just because people don't play with coordinated teams (The way this game is meant to be played) doesn't mean they can cry out when something comes up and wipes the floor with their PUG.

August 12, 2009 5:01:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Someone tried to play a 5vs5 against 5 UBs?? All spit on one of the enemy team and hes dead for sure. UB has a lot of skills like that which make more than one UB at once rly deadly for you. I mean im more afraid when i see 2 UBs at once than when i see two rooks or two sednas. They cant stun you (most rooks play towers, not slam) or slow you. Alkso they deal lesser dmg. -

But vs 2 UBs you get double spited and double foul grasped there is hardly no chance to survive. Or imagine a doubled ooze...

August 12, 2009 5:02:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sneaky double post producing forums.

August 12, 2009 5:04:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You say in 3v3s certain things will shut down a team. This is why 5v5s are more balanced.
No, I mean like in a game yesterday where a TB kept casting Fireball predictably and I was able to interrupt him four or five critical times. Because his team was depending on those fireballs to get their kills it shut them down and we won by a considerable margin. That doesn't my DG choice decided the game before we left the lobby. The fact is that guy did a poor job of telegraphing his fireballs and I punished him for it over and over. It takes me a moment to see him moving in to cast, .4 seconds to cast boulder roll, and then the boulder has to travel to him to get the interrupt. He needed to step up his game and stop getting interrupted at critical times.

It also doesn't mean my own teammates weren't a critical part of that victory, some devestating snipes and clutch shields were equally critical, but because the match was so small it was far easier to attribute the outcome to its specific causes. In 5s it's much harder to do that, which creates the illusion of superior balance.

Its the overall strategy that will win a game, not small little victories.

One lucky kill won't win a 3v3 for you if you constantly have the wrong DGs in the wrong lanes, fall behind on war score, don't support each other, and don't coordinate kills and focus damage.

Lemme just make up a completely hypothetical situation to prove my point, and feel free to disagree with it.

Let's say every single DG were a clone of the fire Torch bearer, except one of those clones happened to do 10% less damage than the others. In a 1v1 that DG would be at a major disadvantage. In 2v2 it would be at a significant one, in 3s it would have a moderate one, and in 5s it would be very, very minor.

In all three cases superior gameplay would still be important and in 2s and up proper teamwork would still decide the game. [quote]You cannot balance a game with all these demigods to "fairly" match with each other demigod. Its not possible.[/qoute]They have already done this, with a few exceptions. QoT generally has some issues, but every single DG has a viable 3s combo and most have viable 2s combo. I am wholly disinterested in 1v1s, but if it weren't for Sedna I would even say that most DGs face off against each other fairly well solo too.

I apologize if this turns into a double post, the first time I got a forum error message.

August 12, 2009 5:13:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The big overarching point is this:

People who don't play with organized, coordinated teams are going to have a skewed view on "balance" because everything they encounter something that wipes the floor with them they don't think they can counter because they are working alone. This game was meant to be team on team. Not PUG on PUG. So when you have PUGs swarming the forums with something they think is imbalanced its going to be something completely different then a group of people who play organized games.

When you have good organization suddenly things don't seem as unbalanced because you have a team to back you up. It would be like playing professional baseball with random groups of people every other game.

August 12, 2009 5:15:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
The big overarching point is this:

People who don't play with organized, coordinated teams are going to have a skewed view on "balance" because everything they encounter something that wipes the floor with them they don't think they can counter because they are working alone. This game was meant to be team on team. Not PUG on PUG. So when you have PUGs swarming the forums with something they think is imbalanced its going to be something completely different then a group of people who play organized games.

When you have good organization suddenly things don't seem as unbalanced because you have a team to back you up. It would be like playing professional baseball with random groups of people every other game.
PUGs have nothing to do with the conversation you and I are having, are you talking to someone else?

August 12, 2009 5:30:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are so many ridiculous posts about balance everything is overlapping each other.

Just because for some strange reason some people don't have the internet required for 5v5s does not make them irrelevant. 5v5s are the most balanced... again... because at this level you have so many different abilities you do not feel certain combination imbalances you feel in 3v3. In 5v5s it becomes about a team's strategy and teamwork more than individual builds and Demigod choice. You cannot balance a game for multiple formats. In fact, you can't even balance 3v3s to make every possible combination fair. Its just not possible. Trying to do so is futile. Having a large roster in a small game generates better combinations itself.

You have to strive for a sense of what seems overpowered and what is fine. And Demigiod is pretty damn fine. You don't see "PREMADE" people complaining about balance. Its because they lose to reasons other than the non existant "super IMBAs". 

August 12, 2009 5:40:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the input. You all are right, it's actually quite complicated.

For me, the ideal picture would be that you see every skill the game offers in an efficient build/team.

I would really like to see a little bit more variety in my matches: more Mass Charm, more Yetis, more Boulder Rolls, more Frost Novas, more Shamblers and more Uproot. There is so much more complexity and fun in the game if all skills (and items) were utilized euqally. Which they are currently not.

My reason for writing this is simple: I play support QoT almost exclusively and would like to play fair and interesting 3vs3 matches in official ladders against equally skilled teams. Sadly, choosing QoT (or Rook) means auto-lose right now.

August 12, 2009 5:58:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You have to strive for a sense of what seems overpowered and what is fine. And Demigiod is pretty damn fine. You don't see "PREMADE" people complaining about balance. Its because they lose to reasons other than the non existant "super IMBAs".
I've played plenty of premade games and there's a number of tweaks I'd be glad to see.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000296   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.