The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Good Free free-form style MP-capable space sim game

where can I find one on the net

By on August 10, 2009 12:17:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well, I've been looking around, and I have a free-form style game (I can't for the life of me figure it out), but I would like something more in depth. For Free. <- that right there is probably the biggest problem I'll have, so I may have to suck it up and try and get Evochron Legends (played around with the demo for a few minutes, still have time left ), since that looks good.

But, something on par with Legends, and free, would be nice. What I really would like is something similar to it, graphically, gameplay, and interactivity wise, but free and also SP/MP capable. I am not into MMOs, as my Internet to my laptop is usually iffy.

+58 Karma | 11 Replies
August 10, 2009 1:22:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You might try looking into the X series. It's not free, but there's no monthly charge. X3: Terran Conflict 2.0 should be available for cheap. X3 wasn't really my cup of tea, but it might be what you're looking for.

August 10, 2009 4:14:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thanks for the tip

August 10, 2009 5:11:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think the X series is MP tho...

August 10, 2009 10:09:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No multiplayer in X3TC, though you would never know it. 

August 11, 2009 10:00:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There really aren't many large free MP games. Especially with space games.

August 11, 2009 11:43:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what about free singleplayer-oriented space sims? I'd like something with good graphics, an excellent universe-exploring option, good combat/trading features.

And something where I can use inertial movement.

August 11, 2009 12:31:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Get Freelancer or Freespace series, Darkstar One from GOG.com. Also this is not a good game but you can try Dark Horizon.

August 11, 2009 4:35:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, thanks for catching that, everyone. My mistake. X3 is singleplayer only. Otherwise, it meets your criteria.

August 11, 2009 6:33:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well, I'm looking for something that's also FREE. SP is the biggest thing I'm looking for, with MP being a bonus I'd like.

I looked at Freespace/Darkstar One, they both cost money. Dark Horizon also costs money, and I read a review on it that makes it look like crap.

August 16, 2009 7:38:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Freespace 2 is only like $5.99 on GoG.com.  Plus there's this huge, massive community project known as the SCP that is constantly upgrading the engine and graphics behind Freespace 2 (glow maps, shine maps, normal maps, you name it).  Not to mention Freespace 2 has a shitload of custom campaigns and mods for it.  If you can spend $9.95 on Entrenchment, you can defintely spend the $5.99 on Freespace 2.  Unfortunately, it isn't a big open space-trading game, instead focusing on excellent fighter combat (and lots of it!).  Or you could wait a few years and pick up some of the free games that are currently in development using the FS2_Open engine such as Fate of the Galaxy and Diaspora.

August 16, 2009 8:10:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well, I've found one that I REALLY liked, called Vega Strike.

Pros- it's open source (FREE!!), and it can be used in an MMO-style MP (not quite what I wanted, but I can probably make do); plus, if I so desire, I can use it to make my own open-source game

Cons- semi-good graphics, and it's still under development, so it has a FEW bugs (none of which I've so far spotted).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.