The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Section 8: The New Tribes?

By on August 8, 2009 12:40:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock ForumsExternal Link

Check out the external link above. As a Tribes 1/2 lover, I am excited!

I will check out the open beta (Aug 10), and if I enjoy it, I hope to see it on Impulse later this month.

+41 Karma | 7 Replies
August 8, 2009 12:47:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I saw some of the videos for this thing, and think it's looking a bit too 'grounded' and slow to be tribesy.

I go to Fallen Empire: Legions for all my tribes needs these days. It's a bit more boiled down (ie. no vehicles or deployables) for better or worse, but they've really done a good job on the core movement and combat.

http://www.instantaction.com/

August 8, 2009 8:18:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OMG OMG OMG IT'S TRIBES 3!!!

I watched the trailer, and every time they switched to first-person gameplay footage it felt like I was back on Katabatic sniping heavies and storming the enemy base.

I actually saw a poster for this in a game store last week, and I remarked that while I didn't know anything about the game, I sure liked what they called it. Now I know I like the game, too.

August 9, 2009 12:55:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well if that open beta hits soon I will return with feedback.

August 9, 2009 11:29:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After poking around on the official website, I'm starting to have some doubts about this game. I like the concept, the graphics are nice but not expensive-upgrade nice, and it sure does look like Tribes, but the weapon/vehicle/deployable lists look an awful lot like Halo.

The weapons are very generic-looking, and almost all of them are kinetic. Almost nothing does appreciable splash damage, whereas in Tribes 2 almost everything made big explosions. I worry that hitting players with jetpacks and high-speed movement will be difficult with just direct-fire weapons.

The guns seem to be generic in function as well. You've got a shotgun, an assault rifle, a machine gun, a pistol, etc. I don't see anything to suggest that they work in any unusual way. In Tribes 2, your main all-purpose gun was the Spinfusor which shot a blue spinning explosive disc of death, and if it hit you directly it would spin you around. It had good range and lots of splash, but fired slowly. No spray-n-pray assault rifle here; this thing took skill and had character.

The closest thing to a shotgun was the Plasma Rifle, which fired a golden ball of energy that exploded on impact. The projectile didn't spread, so you had to hit directly or aim at your opponent's feet to get them in the splash damage. It also disrupted shields, making it great for wrecking the enemy base. Blaster shots bounced off walls, mortars filled the area with green smoke, the Shocklance (melee weapon) sent you flying, etc. Every weapon had its own unique quirk that made it fun and interesting.

Vehicles are pretty lacking, too. They've got a mech thing, a 4-man tank, and (maybe) a VTOL supply aircraft. Tribes 2 didn't have a mech (except in mods) but it did have a 2-man tank, a hoverbike for scouting, a mobile base, a fighter aircraft, a 3-man bomber, and a 6-man flying transport. Tank/Mech/Plane feels too limiting in comparison.

Deployables are okay, as you probably don't really need three types of sensors, but I'm going to miss swapping in ELF barrels to drop flag-cappers into my ring of spike turrets.

Maybe my nostalgia is making me too hard on the game. I hope so. If there's really an open beta starting soon, maybe I'll get to find out.

August 12, 2009 6:37:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The public beta is now up and open to all users at Fileplanet!

August 21, 2009 12:43:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So is there any word on signing SouthPeak to Impulse? I plan on buying Section 8, and it would be nice to see it here.

August 21, 2009 9:52:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am playing the beta, game is really fun but level designs are really terrible in beta. I hope in full game we will see good level designs.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.