The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Argyle (Melee Brawler)

By on August 7, 2009 1:29:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi, I've been inspired by some other Demigod ideas in this section of the forums and have decided to come up with my own suggestion, a Demigod that I believe will be fun to play.

Summary
Argyle is a melee brawler meaning he doesn't really use a weapon except for his armoued (weighted) fists and his agile but strong body. He brings on a relentless attack and won't let enemies run away easily.

Appearance
Argyle appears as a slightly larger then normal male human, with a light robe on, bare feet and thick gloves. He is somewhat muscely but still slender enough to be agile.

Background
Argyle has traveled the world seeking opponents strong enough to challenge him. He has over time developed his own fighting style and defeated many masters of various martial arts and other hand to hand fight styles as well as a few masters of melee weapon based styles.

Strengths

• Able to keep beating down an enemy with low mana cost
  • Has great DPS and evasion
  • Can chase down people who try to run

Weaknesses

• Lower HP then most classes
  • Purely a melee type Demigod

Abilities

Heavy Punch(Active): Pulls his right arm back and launches a powerful punch. This punch deals 200/400/600/800 and reduces the targets attack speed by 3%/6%/9%/12% for 10 seconds (does not stack). Cast time is 1.5 second with a recast of 10 seconds with a low mana cost. 5th rank adds 2 second stun.

Disarm(Active): With a quick swipe of his arms, he disarms the enemy. This attack disarms an opponent for 3/4/5 seconds, making them unable to attack, though they can still move around in this period. It has a cast time of 2 seconds and a recast of 15 seconds with low mana cost..

Swift Blows(Active): Argyle starts to throw punches rapidly causing his opponent to sustain heavy damage quickly. During this attack Argyle must stay within melee range of the target to continue the attack. Each punch deals 50/100/150/200/250 and a punch happens every 0.5 seconds for up to 7 blows. After the attack, Arygle suffers a -15% attack speed debuff for 10 seconds due to the strain of this attack. This attack has a cast time of 1.5 seconds and a recast of 15 seconds with a medium mana cost.

Evasive Maneuvers(Passive): Argyle goes through many life or death trials which he learns to better evade a large variety of attacks. This abilty allows Argyle to evade attacks at a 2%/4%/6%/8% rate.

Chase Down(Active):  Argyle chases down the target within 15m at a high speed of 150%/175%/200% causing them to be stunned for 0.5/1/2 seconds and dealing autoattack damage. Cast time is 1 second with a recast of 20 seconds and a low mana cost.

Endurance Training(Passive): Argyle undergoes special endurance training which allows him to sustain faster attack speeds. His speed increases by 5%/10%/15%/20%/25%.

Swift Movement(Passive): Through much training in harsh conditions and in life and death situations, Argyle learns to move much more swiftly then beefore gaining 3%/6%/9%/12%/15% in movement speed, allowing him to get to and from his enemies much quicker.

Strength Training(Passive): Argyle undergoes long sessions of strength training, increasing his overall strength. His attacks gain 5%/10%/15%/20% damage increases.

That seems to be my idea for this sort of Demigod. It is meant to get in and beat the enemy to a pulp. His has quite a bit of damage potential with no health/armour bonuses, but has some evasion and speed bonusesif you want to put points in. He is quite open to interupts and ranged type characters, although Chase Down will help him get up to range players fast if he needs to. His counter would depend on his build, if built for all out damage, one of the various ranged classes will be able to hurt him quite a bit from range, but if he goes for an evasive/speed build the larger hp tank types will be able to counter him better.

I've not thought of his basic starting stats yet, but I'd guess he'd be up there with UB/Sedna in starting movement speed, but down with the ranged style characters in HP. He'd greatly benefit from HP/Armour type items as well as damage increasing items.

Anyone got any feedback they could provide for this build, I'm probably not best at the actual damage/%age numbers provided.

+3 Karma | 6 Replies
August 7, 2009 2:48:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hey ... i dont mind this character. seems to be balanced enough unless ive overlooked something.

i can see a chase down + swift blows combo

disarm - id change it to 3/4/5 secs, coz i think 2 secs is just way too low even for its first level and for wat it does. OR it could be something like ... for 4/5/6 secs, target does 80% less dmg.

but good idea!

August 7, 2009 4:30:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just out of curiosity, is Argyle named after the character from Fallout 3? or perhaps....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyle_%28pattern%29

August 7, 2009 7:57:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
Just out of curiosity, is Argyle named after the character from Fallout 3? or perhaps....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyle_%28pattern%29

It wasn't named after anything in particular, I just tried to come up with a name for him that didn't seem lame and could suit him in the game.

@ gkrit

Thanks for the suggestion, I've changed it. As it is a disarm I think it should prevent any attacks for that period of time specified. I had thought of making it do something else with a %age chance to disarm while inflicting damage + an attack speed debuff, but decided on a straight disarm.

August 8, 2009 12:28:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeh .... well my thought was "if a person is wielding a weapon and is disarmed from it he is still able to throw in fist punches".

thats y i thought of it doing a significantly less amount of dmg for the period of time.  if you were to change it to wat ive suggested (which im not saying u have to), add in the equation " -15% attack speed (can stack with other attack speed debuffs)"

but id like to play a character like this.

August 8, 2009 8:37:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I pictured the disarmed demigod/unit blocking attacks as usually while trying to get their weapon back, instead of going head on in and punching.

I did originally have ideas for knockback attacks like a few super combos that may punch someone up into the air with several hits then finished off with a large sweeping kick, sending the demigod flying backwards. But knockback attacks in this game seem mostly pointless as they are they out of range of you and can then escape or easily come back.

October 1, 2009 10:31:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like this guy and he to me also seems balanced unless "I" missed something. He would be realy fun to play as cause he jumps around every whre and just beats the crap out of people. He simple but has variety and strategy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.