The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Can you reccomend a good mp3 player?

By on August 4, 2009 10:08:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Im in the market for a new mp3 player. I go to the gym on a daily basis and like to hike/bike during the weekend. I also travel alot so it would be ideal to have a screen to watch movies.

I've only looked at IPODS so far and this is what I've briefly gathered...I can't stand the new nano model so I think Im gonna pass on that. I was thinking about going with the IPOD classic but am a little leary since it's not true flash memory. Im afraid I would shake it too much while biking or running.  Also, I dont know if the IPOD touch would do me any good as It would be on my arm alot and I dont want to keep looking over to see what I'm doing.

So, what is the latest and greatest mutlipurpose mp3 player out there? Karma to the person who suggests the one I end up buying! Thanks in advance!

+13 Karma | 17 Replies
August 4, 2009 10:31:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Zune.

August 4, 2009 11:44:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I have a Sandisk Sansa View 32 MB Flash memory based. It is tied to Rhapsody software to get things to list properly in the player. Rechargable Litium Polymer Battery for about 70 hours of music. Newegg has them, which is where I got mine from. It takes MicroSD, MicroSDHC cards as well.

August 4, 2009 11:54:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, I would recomend an iPod. Since you do a lot of exercising, I would recomend the Shuffle. Granted, I have no experiece with the newest one, with the controls on the earbud cord, etc, but I have the previous generation, and it's great for working out. I've had no problems with it skipping, etc, and it's small enough that it probably won't get in your way. Granted, you never know what song is coming next, but I don't have enough music for that to be a problem.

You also say you want a screen, which, unfortunately, is something the Shuffle lacks. From my experiece, however, having a screen big enough to watch movies, etc and also being convient enough to workout with are often times mutually exclusive.

Now, I don't know what you have against the newest Nano, but that would be my ideal suggestion for being able to watch movies and workout. If you don't like the shake to shuffle feature, you can disable it. I do a lot of running, myself, and I haven't had any problems with it skipping, or shuffling when I don't want it to.

August 5, 2009 12:51:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what is with the i's. Ipods are expensive, you could probably get twics ths size of memory if you bough another brand.  Not to mention, you need itunes which takes up ram more than wmp or any other player. to be honest, I don't have an mp3 player, I usually have my laptop around, even if I don't have it, I have a 4gb MicroSD which I can stick into my Sony Ericsson and use the media player there.

August 5, 2009 1:03:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with everyone else who says that apple products are a waste of money.

August 5, 2009 1:32:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd go with Creative's Zen line over iPods any day. I find they generally have more features, and a far better price. Creative is also a very good company for sound hardware. (Running an X-Fi sound card. Absolutely awesome.)

I'm also finding Zen Stone for about US$30 less than iPod counterparts, while the ones comparable to the iPod touch are a good US$100 less.

August 5, 2009 2:25:10 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Personaly I picked up something like...  http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089308  that.  But I picked one up at best buy last year, and it played DvD's filled with mp3's as well. 

I found mine at 34.99, which is patheticaly cheeper then a ipod.  Runs on AA batteries so its power supply wont need to be sent back into the manufacturer to be replaced.  Shock resistant, and it scans 3 mins ahead into your disk so that playback is smoothe even if you jostle it around a bit. (Technicaly it will skip if you go over something thats violently bumping and lasts for 3 mins..).    The ones that play DvD's of course get to hold about 4 and a half gigs of mp3's, and works just fine on re-writeable ones. 

Anyway, it was a sweet choice for me because I can always pack a spare set of batteries for long trips where I wouldnt have been able to recharge an ipod.  The only problem is its not as fancy/sleek or have the status that the new toys have.. and of course you need a burner on your computer.

August 5, 2009 4:17:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Zune or Creative Zen for me (I have both of them and an iPod and the iPod is now used as a expensive USB drive).

August 5, 2009 5:36:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got a creative zen mosaic, its well cool, and the battery life is insane.

August 5, 2009 5:42:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have a sony walkman and a creative zen stone. I like them both a lot. Then again, I had no desire to use iTunes either.

August 5, 2009 6:31:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You might want to take a look at these:

Cowon D2 (you can use it with a 32GB SDHC card, resulting in 48GB(!) total memory)

Cowon S9 (AMOLED screen; there's also a 32GB model)

Cowon players are better than ipods in almost every aspect (Sound Quality, Price, Battery Life, Music and Video Formats, etc.).

Samsung P3 and Sansa Clip mp3 players also received very positive reviews.

August 5, 2009 7:20:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I own a few mp3 players and I use them all. I have different music on

all of them. Right now the one I use the most is Sandisk Sansa 2GB clip.

I prefer it over my iPod do to the radio option. I plan on getting the new

HDZune when it comes out. I figure HD Radio will add to the over features

it going to have. I

Also have a Archos 105 an I like the sound and overall battey life. I'm hoping

the new HDZune will live up to all the hipe.

August 5, 2009 12:40:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
I'd go with Creative's Zen line over iPods any day. I find they generally have more features, and a far better price. Creative is also a very good company for sound hardware. (Running an X-Fi sound card. Absolutely awesome.)

I'm also finding Zen Stone for about US$30 less than iPod counterparts, while the ones comparable to the iPod touch are a good US$100 less.

I agree, I think Zens are probably the best MP3s on the market. My ZenV has been going strong for 2 years already with only very minor problems. And they work with about any music system out their so you you want have to say start shopping at Itunes.

August 7, 2009 9:38:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the excellent responses. I finally decided to go with a Zune. I couldnt pass up the Zune pass. We'll see how it holds up. If I dont like it, then I'm definitely going with the Zen next time. Man, uninstalling Itunes was so liberating

August 7, 2009 5:18:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think I am quite open. I've bought my fair share of mp3-players. Right now I own a creative Zen. Great lil' player. I also tend to like Iriver. One thing is for sure though, I'll never buy an IPOD unless I get one for dirt cheap. I just dislike how Apple pushes Itunes on their customers.

August 7, 2009 5:32:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You don't need Itunes to use an Ipod. Every good music player (WMP, Foobar, etc...) can get an extension to load music on an Ipod.

August 7, 2009 5:40:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can you reccomend a good mp3 player?

No, but I can recommend ice cream during the summer.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.