The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: end of July status report

By on July 24, 2009 10:25:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

All this week I watched GPG and Stardock QA going back and forth on the demo build. Just little things.

We also went into great detail on the 2 new demigods that are in development. I am anticipating being able to go into significant detail on these in the next couple of weeks now that they’ve moved beyond a bunch of “assets” and are starting to come together.

Tentatively we are looking at one general and one assassin. One will be of the forces of light and the other the forces of darkness. One will be melee oriented, the other projectile oriented.

In addition, version 1.2 is the next major milestone GPG is working on.  It’s due in August so that we can show it off at PAX where we also expect to be showing off the 2 new Demigods.

Prior to version 1.2 we are also very close to a post v1.1 update. I had hoped we were going to release it this week but there’s still a bit more to do.  The post v1.1 update is expected to fix a LUA decompression crash that some people have run into (and by some people we mean those people get it a lot) as well as some fixes to stats.  There may also be some balance tweaks to the bishops-related idols but not sure if they’ll make it in time.

For version 1.2 itself our list is:

• Replays (managed)
  • Rematches
  • Additional items & balancing
  • New Demigod #1 (may be released separately)
  • New Demigod #2 (may be released separately)
  • Squelch (silence users in game) /squelch frogboy (right from SupCom)
  • Option to turn off Arena background
  • Various Bug fixes
  • More AI improvements (if anyone in the community wants to make LUA suggestions I’ll forward them on)
  • New AI options  (on death)
    • 1. Gold/ XP: High (= to what it is today)
    • 2. Gold/ XP: Normal (= 50% what killing a human player would be worth) [default]
    • 3. Gold/ XP: Low (=25% of what killing a human player would be worth)
  • New AI option:
    • 1. Hitpoints: Very High (2X what they are today)
    • 2. Hitpoints: High (1.5 what they are today) [Default]
    • 3. Hitpoints: Normal (1.0 what they are today)
    • 4. Hitpoints: Low (0.75 what they are today)
  • Modding Support:
    • 1. Quickie SDK that explains how to make maps
    • 2. Quickie SDK that explains how to make demigods
    • 3. Quickie SDK that explains how to make items
  • New Option: Use Mods (allows mods to be used in single player)
  • Hosts would select which mods to use.
  • We would begin including mods submitted in updated builds.
  • If a player does not have a mod, then it’s not used.
  • More robust Pantheon and Skirmish handling (slot time to work with us to make this system work better).
  • Connection Info would display a player’s rank/experience to better balance custom games

Other things that are being discussed without a consensus yet:

• Should custom games be ranked?
  • How do we make it easy for people to create team games (that doesn’t involve a lot of UI work)
  • How do we make pantheon/skirmish games more flexible (1 on 1, 2 on 2, etc.)
  • Ways of handling pre-made teams
  • Ways for hosts to ban people from joining their games. (personal ban lists)

Ironically, the biggest development resource limitation right now is in the area of UI.  So solutions that require new screens and such are more problematic.  In the long run, we’ll add as much as we can to Impulse’s overlay which is getting a significant revamp in August for better handling for friends and such.

Also high on our list but will probably not make it into v1.2 but likely v1.3 are the Clan Wars.  It was decided that getting modding out earlier rather than later was important because in doing so, Stardock itself can start to create maps and demigods to release as well as let players create their own demigods if they want and in a pinch we can take care of the exporting for them.

So that’s where things stand as we start to near the end of July.

Locked Post 109 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 30, 2009 4:00:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*tick tick* can we pweease have this this week? Pwetty Pwease?

July 30, 2009 10:18:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

# Modding Support:

* 1. Quickie SDK that explains how to make maps
* 2. Quickie SDK that explains how to make demigods
* 3. Quickie SDK that explains how to make items

Well this'll be good, I expect a surge of new maps and a community made "Item fix patch" within a couple weeks of this coming out. Some of the items are just terrible, plus a couple of those descriptions could be tweaked as well.

July 30, 2009 2:51:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

If they have done that, that they can bitch all they want.  However if someone has a crash in-game repeatedly and has never once submitted it to support and simply complain, then they are part of the problem.  If they gives stardock no way to correct the problem, by not sending bug reports, how can they expect SD/GPG to troubleshoot and fix problem they don't know exists?

Dude the most of our clanmates reported every fucking issue, some of them reported same issues over ten times a day! We really did enough to work something out, and we canceled these actions, cause we don´t trust gpg in that case anymore.

Today it´s like a running gag - during our TS-Sessions we talk about how many people are still working on solving issues like random crashes etc. - sometimes we agree on 1 or 2 people maybe for 2 days a week.

Btw. some of us think that frogboy sometimes is hitting his red button to screw up the servers, cause he is angry about his stats again.

July 30, 2009 4:29:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any place for pantheon testers to sign up for a load test time?

August 1, 2009 2:09:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@lol at cosma. Frustrated much?

It's some lua bug... very iritating, but most games have this, and far worse. In fact I remeber quite vividly that time without demos or friends who had already bought the game or torrents(dont use them!!) most of the time you couldn't play the fuckin game. And if you asked for apatch on the forums about that, you would get two replies in agreeal then nothing. No journals, nno devs, no nothing. And this was after the games in question were out for months if not years. They're working on it, but fixing software isn't so easy as you might imagine. Seriously.. its been 3 months.

August 4, 2009 3:12:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

only 2? oh well that means they'll be better but i really wish we'd get a battle mage, something like a melee caster... oh well that' whiny wishy talk. Sounds good, more options for gameplay will make the game better overall to the point people will have to really re-acess the game. And ofcourse mods are always great, i'd love to see what people can do with the... wait i don't think we have a direct map editor like thing do we? oh well just means modding community will be smaller (correct me if there is one i've been away a while)

August 4, 2009 4:25:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cogzwell,
...And ofcourse mods are always great, i'd love to see what people can do with the... wait i don't think we have a direct map editor like thing do we? oh well just means modding community will be smaller (correct me if there is one i've been away a while)

Nope, no official map creator, but SD seem willing to help us "convert" our models into Granny files...

So we could get some user created maps

August 4, 2009 9:01:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I feel both SD and GPG understand the importance of user created content; it might be very difficult to construct maps, but it'll certainly be possible.

February 20, 2010 2:55:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/*************************************

• 1. Quickie SDK that explains how to make maps
  • 2. Quickie SDK that explains how to make demigods
  • 3. Quickie SDK that explains how to make items

*************************************///signed

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.