The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

3 rook strats I don't see so often

By on July 21, 2009 1:30:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let's improve the community! 

I found myself picking serpent blade more often.  Rook can be a mana gussler.  Activate and one hammer slam on a creep wave (kudos if you get a few minions squished in there) and you go from no mana to full mana.  I usually hide behind my towers healing for free.  Until they can challenge your tower base you're safe.  Mana = stun, burst damage, defence and healing...  infinite mana is nice.  The extra damage is also nice and keeps people out of your tower fort for another level

Also TOWER DECOYS  build a tower right infront of an enemy tower, walk away quickly and come back.  The enemy towers will focus on your tower and give you 12 seconds of beat down at zero HP cost.

Focus fire your towers...  I rarely see people select a target for their tower far... double click ONE tower (selects all towers) then right click the demigod you want to kill.  This makes towers much more effective (and dishing out 500-600 damage a shot if someone enters hurts even at high levels)

+2 Karma | 24 Replies
July 21, 2009 2:17:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i had no idea you could tell your towers to aim, thanks for the advice!

July 21, 2009 2:58:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting -RAISTLIN-,
i had no idea you could tell your towers to aim, thanks for the advice!

Raistlin White, Red or Black?

July 21, 2009 3:08:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha, well obviously not white! i like the red robes best. they can draw from either spectrum yet are beholden to neither *war of the twins*

July 21, 2009 5:04:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Serpent blade sucks, play on your strenght: durability. You can just get scaled and unbreakable and later in the game switch to vlemisch.

Tower decoy is a very usefull thing, I use it all the time if I play tower Rook, which I don't since he sucks.=D 

But on your third point, if this is true... that would revive tower Rook strats on high play.

July 21, 2009 6:00:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Decoying is one of the reasons I drop one point into towers, but I still have never had my tower attack the target I order while I have it selected, maybe I just have bad luck /amdoinitrong.

July 21, 2009 8:28:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Focus fire your towers...  I rarely see people select a target for their tower far... double click ONE tower (selects all towers) then right click the demigod you want to kill.

Every day's a school day!

July 21, 2009 8:42:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Focus fire your towers...  I rarely see people select a target for their tower far... double click ONE tower (selects all towers) then right click the demigod you want to kill.  This makes towers much more effective (and dishing out 500-600 damage a shot if someone enters hurts even at high levels)
I've never gotten this to work.  I just tested it a moment ago and had no luck.  Either there's a trick to it or it just doesn't work.

July 21, 2009 10:28:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also TOWER DECOYS  build a tower right infront of an enemy tower, walk away quickly and come back.  The enemy towers will focus on your tower and give you 12 seconds of beat down at zero HP cost.

I do this a lot.

Had no idea this was possible.  Does this really work?

July 21, 2009 10:32:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A solely tower rook wont need the mana but unless I have scaled Vlemish and unbreakable I can't find the mana to spam abilities like I wish.  That's 3 items slots versus the one you can replace the first choice Botf.  It also makes plenor battlecrown more viable because you don't need mana regen as much as mana cap.

Late game it doesn't scale as well...

How often do you need to run behind your towers for cover to charge a bit of mana?  With serpent blade the only time I fall back is to drain my towers.

This is geared to a hybrid rook, a build I don't see working well yet and want to see more exploration in it.

July 21, 2009 10:18:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A solely tower rook wont need the mana
You're not towering hard enough.

July 21, 2009 10:52:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Blade doesn't work as well as considered.  You pay the mana at the end of the casting time, and deal damage first.  Meaning that you will never be full after using a hammerslam, the cost of the slam will be subtracted from your possible total. Also, towers don't trigger it.  Ultimately, I do not think it is worthwhile for rook.

July 22, 2009 12:17:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Blade only works really well with what is probably Rook's worst skill - structural transfer.

July 22, 2009 12:37:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Essence of Magic on the other hand isn't bad for the rook. If your playing towers it gives you a extra 7 mana a second and a free tower ever 45 seconds which can solve alot of early mana problems. Later you can get a free boulder throw and hammer every 45 second which is nice. Unfortantly I still think blood of the fallen is probably a better early game item.

I was also unable to get my towers to target very well.

July 22, 2009 12:44:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I usually go with Blood of the Fallen for Tower Rook, particularly with a UB on the Map as Spit can really screw you over. I find Blade of the Serpent to be a great choice though, however by mid-late game my Rook usually has enough Mana regen that it's not needed. I only really select it if I know the game is going to be short.

July 22, 2009 2:59:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if u go towers, take staff of renewal or u might as well not bother as u won't be able to set up a massive farm faster than people take them down

go botf if u go slam/roll build

July 22, 2009 3:24:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lifekatana,
Serpent blade sucks, play on your strenght: durability. You can just get scaled and unbreakable and later in the game switch to vlemisch.

Tower decoy is a very usefull thing, I use it all the time if I play tower Rook, which I don't since he sucks.=D 

But on your third point, if this is true... that would revive tower Rook strats on high play.

It depends on the Rook build. I'll take Blade of Serpent over almost any other item unless I go tower-heavy. Blade of Serpent by itself gives me enough mana and recharge to go the whole game without buying any +mana items. That's a whole slot I have free in the long run for another +health or +armor item. While you need to waste a slot on Vlemish to compete I'm using it on Nimoth Armor or Unbreakable Boots.

July 22, 2009 6:37:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Later you can get a free boulder throw and hammer every 45 second which is nice.

I've never been able to get both in using EoM.

July 22, 2009 7:18:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like Blade of the Serpent more and more the more I use it. With Rook, while BotS does have a few limitations that Zechnophobe mentioned, it does activate off of his shoulder pieces, and more importantly, it allows you to forgo buying a mana item entirely. Thus, BotS lets you sacrifice some HP in the really early game for a strong early, mid and end game. Even if you only consider the case where you exchange a Vlemish for a Scalemail, that's trading 800 HP & 5 HP/s for ~1300 gold, 600 armour, 400 mana and 25 damage. That sounds like a good deal to me. And it gets better the better the item you're replacing Vlemish with, or if you consider that you've probably wasted 110g getting and then selling a Scaled Helm.

I'll have to try targeting w/ towers - I didn't know that was possible.

July 22, 2009 7:31:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll have to try targeting w/ towers - I didn't know that was possible.
It isn't possible.  If someone can fraps it working be my guest but I'm 99% certain it doesn't.

July 23, 2009 1:49:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Epiphenomenon 

It is difficult and the game needs to be nearly lagless but yes it's just possible to use both hammer and boulder roll in the 3 second for essense of magic give you.

July 23, 2009 4:45:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mrappard,
Epiphenomenon 

It is difficult and the game needs to be nearly lagless but yes it's just possible to use both hammer and boulder roll in the 3 second for essense of magic give you.
Why do this?  I mean really if you use rank 1 hammer slam and hit four targets that's 2k damage, a 1500 mana return.  Even minus the mana cost of the ability which is still charged you get more than enough mana to slam again.  A boulder roll+slam combo is going to give even more mana, and as you rank up both spells the damage outscales the spell cost dramatically, meaning less and less targets need to be hit to give the effect of a free roll+slam.

That's just the mana returned from the spells themselves, independent weapons and autoattack are going to be refunding mana too, I just can't imagine taking essence over blade.

That being said, I still can't imagine taking blade over staff.

July 25, 2009 8:43:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

... Focus fire your towers...  I rarely see people select a target for their tower far... double click ONE tower (selects all towers) then right click the demigod you want to kill.  This makes towers much more effective (and dishing out 500-600 damage a shot if someone enters hurts even at high levels)

AFAIK, that's not possible. Although I've to admit that I'd like to have this feature implemented in the game. The Rook is my favourite.

July 26, 2009 4:39:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I swore you could... and it always seems to work for me but I don't play much.... I guess we can call it Debunked

July 26, 2009 4:58:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bodegus,
I swore you could... and it always seems to work for me but I don't play much.... I guess we can call it Debunked

Rook is fine even without this ability.

Under scrutiny you will find rook is not a good 'solo' laner, as his 2 counters con completely devistate him early game - late game. With nearly any demigod as a partner to lane with he becomes a beast. Any general with monks makes his tower farm impossible to come through, even with creep waves to soak damage. An AoE oriented partner allows the towers to focus DG over creeps. Single target players are able to dps on DG while the towers plow through creeps.

Rook is a great team player, even though he has certain exploitable flaws within all his builds. Not being able to target with towers lets this happen, if he could use towers as real minions he would actually be OP.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000454   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.