The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Desynch detected Exploit

By on July 19, 2009 6:28:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks like some are using this as an exploit to get a win even while losing.

+4 Karma | 19 Replies
July 19, 2009 6:47:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why do you think that?

July 19, 2009 10:30:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So far as I know, if a desync happens the game is not reported in any case.

-- Tukulis

July 20, 2009 12:20:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
Why do you think that?

Easy enough to do and I've come across some unusually coincidental players that have a habit of only accepting games they are hosts on and then retaining a win even if beaten due to desync anomalies.

And no while they should be disregarded they are certainly not.

July 20, 2009 3:55:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bamji,
Easy enough to do
It is?

Even if it is, I had desynced games that were recorded as a lost at the end (even if I did win in my version of the game).

July 20, 2009 6:26:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just had a game where the enemy desynced, and the game was still recorded as a win for me and as a loss for him: http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/774030/player/27826/. I wouldn't mind if that game actually didn't count, because it was a 3v1. He should have conceded at the beginning.

So in conclusion: even if you could force a desync somehow, it won't make you win the game automatically or make the game not count.

July 20, 2009 8:15:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only point I'm trying to make is a Desync should be considered the same as a Concede in under 3 minutes...N/A.

July 20, 2009 8:44:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any game that ends under 3 minutes is not counted.

July 20, 2009 9:02:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
Any game that ends under 3 minutes is not counted.

Thats what I said.

July 20, 2009 9:30:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, you said that people are exploiting desyncs in order to now get a loss on their stats, which can't be the case. You also said that any games under 3 minute should not count, no matter if it desynced or if gamers left or conceded. But this is already the case .

July 20, 2009 7:08:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
No, you said that people are exploiting desyncs in order to now get a loss on their stats, which can't be the case. You also said that any games under 3 minute should not count, no matter if it desynced or if gamers left or conceded. But this is already the case .

A desynced game that lasts longer than 3mins is not counted as Not Applicable, it is very applicable and if you are host and block incoming data from an opponent who is winning you walk away with a desync victory.

July 20, 2009 7:29:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In 1v1 how would you determine who desynced and whom should get the loss?

July 20, 2009 7:31:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bamji,
A desynced game that lasts longer than 3mins is not counted as Not Applicable, it is very applicable and if you are host and block incoming data from an opponent who is winning you walk away with a desync victory.
You are talking about disconnects, not desynchronisations.

Yes, the game not counting for the host when he disconnects from the game while losing is a bug and exploited by some people. But this has nothing to do with desyncs.

July 21, 2009 2:49:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,

You are talking about disconnects, not desynchronisations.

Yes, the game not counting for the host when he disconnects from the game while losing is a bug and exploited by some people. But this has nothing to do with desyncs.

Man stop trying to tell me what I am saying "I AM SAYING IT"

A desync is data imparity between boxes, achieved by a temporary disconnection long enough to get them out of sync but not permanently disconnected.

July 21, 2009 2:51:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Daikaze,
In 1v1 how would you determine who desynced and whom should get the loss?

I should win.

July 21, 2009 5:27:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bamji,
Man stop trying to tell me what I am saying "I AM SAYING IT"

A desync is data imparity between boxes, achieved by a temporary disconnection long enough to get them out of sync but not permanently disconnected.
No, a desync isn't just caused by a long enough connection interruption. Ideally a connection interruption does not cause a desync at all, the game justs waits until the user who is missing a packet from another user is finally receiving said packet. If he doesn't receive it after 10 seconds, the user is dropped. If only one user dropped another user, both of them are dropped from the game and the game can continue.

But there is still a bug in the game where a desync can happen during this process. Ideally a desync would only occur if the players involved run different versions of Demigod or different versions of mods or one user has a mod the other one doesn't etc. Other cause of desync have to be hunt down by the developers.

You can't reliably cause a desync that easily. Furthermore the exploit you describe only works for the host and the host does not have to cause a desync to achieve that. He simply has to quit the game irregularily or drop the internet connction.

July 21, 2009 6:03:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Solution:
The one that desyncs should die, no one gets cash, game tries to sync. This way the char can reset and the game can continue OR if this doesnt help all die (including creeps) without any1 getting gold.

Quote from Kryo:
If a desync occurs, the match is already shot. There is not much point in continuing to try playing it as other players won't even be playing the same game. As time goes on, what you see and what they see will become more and more different to the point where (for example) you may see a player alive while another sees him dead, or two players may see opposite sides win the match.

So far we have seen 1 person desynced 2 times in 2 different games, games are not logged so i dont know his nick, will write it down next time it happens.

July 21, 2009 6:18:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LtKiller,
Solution:
The one that desyncs should die, no one gets cash, game tries to sync. This way the char can reset and the game can continue OR if this doesnt help all die (including creeps) without any1 getting gold.
Yeah, in a few games where we wanted to carry on after a desync we simply told the guy who was desynced to us to leave the game (with the consens of his team). After that we were able to continue the game without a desync.

July 21, 2009 6:32:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ye i noticed that too... We usually start shouting he/she should leave if this happens before the game is decided i remake the game excluding the desyncing player.  Most of the times they dont wanna leave. Well make em

July 21, 2009 6:35:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aww, you shouldn't shout . We always explained and asked nicely .

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.