The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Rook... ugh, the Rook... *sigh* the Rook... dang, the Rook

By on July 18, 2009 3:59:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Heh, "The Rook... ugh, the Rook... *sigh* the Rook... dang, the Rook" are my typical responses when playing the Rook. My worst character ever, and I always shudder when randoming him... assuming he is a him... perhaps he is a she?  Does the rook have a gender? Hmmmm.........

hmmmm....

Oh, anyways, to the point, yes my friends, to the point.  The thing I wanted to know, is about towers.  Questions: Do the citadel upgrades for towers (HP and DMG) also apply to the Rook towers?  And also, in some games, I see the Rook towers firing incredibly fast. Like a shot every second. My towers only do like a shot every 4 seconds.  Is there a way to increase tower firing speed, or am I just imagining things?

hmmmmm...... ummm.... if the Rook is a guy, the Rook is very large in every place but one.... *points and laughs at Rook*

+23 Karma | 25 Replies
July 18, 2009 4:01:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Same with me for Regulus i just cant play him....anyway no the cita upgrades dont affect the rooks towers and the a shot a second is probably that rook stacking his towers on top of each other.

July 18, 2009 4:24:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

citadel doesnt upgrade rook towers. Consider them as his minions The only thing that upgrades them is the skill level; level 4 towers are doing tons of damage very fast, comparable to normal towers

July 18, 2009 4:29:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The rook is a neutered hilltop, making him a eunich.

Citadel upgrades do not help his towers, as already stated.

The most enjoyable way to play rook is to buy every movement speed item in the game. When enemies try to run from you, and you chase them down at an 11.7 you will laugh, chortle at their cries of "unfair!"

July 18, 2009 5:45:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook is not a solo'ing demigod, no matter how well tower Rooking works against newbs.  If you play with a partner that has good control abilities and helps you out, then you can play a hammer slam / boulder roll / passives build and be very successful.  You rely on your teammate moreso than many of the other demigods.

So, if you random on Rook, try to hug a teammate and pray they are good.

July 18, 2009 5:53:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks guys.

I guess I just suck with Rook.  I'll give the speed thing a shot.  Haven't tried it in a long while...

July 18, 2009 5:55:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook is not a solo'ing demigod

wrong.

July 18, 2009 6:36:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,

wrong.

well this all really depends. Rooks do tend to have difficulty soloing because if they get ganked they're so slow that they cant run away... But if you get an hp/speed stacked rook than he can solo.

July 18, 2009 6:52:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook is probably the best solo DG when he's given time to set up a tower cluster and hammer rooks are one of the least effective builds in the game.

I got about halfway through writing a rook guide called "the patient rook" because I think most people who struggle with rook do so because they just don't understand how differently than other DGs he can play.

Try this build and see what you think:

Favor Item: Staff of Renewal, no matter what

1. Tower 1
  2. Archers
  3. Save
  4. Tower 2
  5. Boulder Roll + Tower of Light
  6. Hammer 1
  7. Tower 3
  8. Siege Hat (tooltip error in game may display Trebuchet)
  9. Hammer 2
  10. Tower 4
  11. Hammer 3
  12. Hammer 4
  13. Boulder 2
  14. Save
  15. Dizzying Force + Boulder (you may want to swap poison for one of those)
  16. Poisoned Arrows
  17. God Strength
  18. God Strength 2
  19. God Strength 3
  20. Stats (or Struct Transfer 1 if it's a high tower game and people have upgraded towers to 11k HP by that point)

Get Scaled and Banded at the start.

Be a huge pussy, get vlemish then plenthor before getting any armor upgrades, and then HP stack once you have those two and have sold your scaled helm.  Neglect speed until late game and use teleport scrolls as necessary.

Alternate between spreading towers out and stacking unless you're fighting either a mines regulus, an autoattack tower killing QoT, or angelic fury regulus, in which cases you should always spread them out.

Tower stacking is putting half a dozen towers on top of each other so they look like one tower.  This allows you to get sneaky boulder roll kills when DGs charge in because you look weak and take way, way more damage than they anticipated and it also makes it so that when you actually are weak your opponents may think you're strong.

If possible do not use hammer slam until at least rank 2, preferably rank 3.  Playing rook well means getting players accustomed to one type of playstyle early and then nearly completely changing it late.

Don't listen to people who say that towers don't scale.  Towers do incredible damage early to mid game and late game they're still going to hit for a good 80 a pop.  Whenever someone engages you in melee range having half a dozen in range is practically doubling your passive autoattack damage, especially against characters which debuff your attack speed like UB, and you'll be surprised how frequently decent players will TP in to help out when you've always got some towers nearby.

Rook is slow, but he's probably the hardest DG to push out of a lane and there's always danger of reinforcements with TP on the towers.  Just have to be patient early to mid game.

July 18, 2009 6:59:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well this all really depends. Rooks do tend to have difficulty soloing because if they get ganked they're so slow that they cant run away... But if you get an hp/speed stacked rook than he can solo.
Two things.  Stop standing on top of your towers, and build more towers.  If you're on the front line and EB+UB rush in on you, you're probably going to die.  Just stand within range to hit reinforcements on the front line with your independent weapons and fall back whenever players approach you.  Stun them as they pass through the towers and keep moving.  Use priests to heal up from fireballs, spits, snipes, and other incidental damage.

Get an orb of defiance and use it when people synch on you in the middle of a tower farm.

Stop depending on escape to win.  Rook isn't like the other DGs, though of course there are times when escape is necessary. Until you get boots of the traveler escape without a major head start or a TP will be impossible, plan ahead.

July 18, 2009 7:01:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

citadel doesnt upgrade rook towers. Consider them as his minions 
I don't think that's a good way to look at them, they have very little in common with minions.
The only thing that upgrades them is the skill level
Just remember this.

July 18, 2009 7:11:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Staff of renewel?  Really?  I find teleportation amulet to be very, very useful with rook.

July 18, 2009 7:14:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He gets staff of renewal so he can really spam the shit out of towers.
Obscenitor is the best tower rook I played against so far.
So good he makes me want to quit playing because you can't do anything against his strat with a TB.
QQ

July 18, 2009 7:55:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He gets staff of renewal so he can really spam the shit out of towers.
It's not just that, it's Hammer Slam, Boulder Roll, potions, teleport scrolls, wand of speed,  or ob defiance, you name it.  When you stack it with a cooldown reduction tower it hits a critical mass of tower/boulder/hammer/defensive item spam.  

I can't count how many times I've won because my orb of defiance was up multiple times in a minute or so long fight with several DGs.

July 18, 2009 7:57:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook is a male... Technically he has no gender, but the spirit possessing/controlling him is indeed male according to the back story.

Tower upgrades from the Citadel do not affect Rook's towers.

Mard's Hammer would be the most fitting favor item for Rook, even if it isn't the most ideal choice.

July 18, 2009 8:42:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,

wrong.
I meant in premades.  Any demigod can do anything in pubs.

July 18, 2009 8:44:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Against a pro team tower farms will not work. It is easy enough to take them down or go around them, and in the end you have a wasted spot for a character.

Also, against a good team you cannot solo, since they will easily teleport in and gank you if you try to leave base, which you have to do or you will lose.

When his abilties are used in combination however he is fantastic support and does massive damage even if he can't chase down the enemy himself. (except structural transfer, it sucks, no matter how many noobs swear by it)

July 18, 2009 9:13:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Against a pro team tower farms will not work. It is easy enough to take them down or go around them, and in the end you have a wasted spot for a character.

Also, against a good team you cannot solo, since they will easily teleport in and gank you if you try to leave base, which you have to do or you will lose.

Soundslike you play prison too much to be honest.
When his abilties are used in combination however he is fantastic support and does massive damage even if he can't chase down the enemy himself. (except structural transfer, it sucks, no matter how many noobs swear by it)
Yes, for the love of god never get structural transfer.  It's awful.

-edit- Perhaps "it's awful" isn't the most helpful feedback.  The problem is that towers stall out mid to late game as a primary source of damage.  Thery're still good, but if they're your sole source of damage (with autoattack and independent weapons of course) you're not going to be killing anyone without a lot of luck, help, or both.  So when you max out structural transfer you either delay hammers or independent weapons and that means less versatility in the long run.  The real advantage to say a level 11 rook is that just being alive near the front line is enough to push.  Your siege hat is constantly damaging towers, you can build up towers to defend yourself, and if you're attacked directly a boulder+hammer combo can push someone out.  Synch that with a fireball, pounce, spit, whatever and it's enough to drive someone back in many cases.

When you get structural transfer though you have to actually move forwards yourself.  You're the center of your siege push instead of your towers.  You go from having towers between you and the enemy towers to having towers behind you and being in range of those towers yourself, which means less fog of war is revealed in front of you and you're going to get ambushed more easily.

Also pretty much everyone who's decent is going to interrupt the damn thing after level 5.  Sedna and Oak will interrupt it from level 1.

July 19, 2009 6:16:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Obscenitor, dont get "siege" hat so early, you can take another rank of hammer instead, which is way more usefull(remeber that siege hat only does like 40 dps) . Also you may want to get boulderrol earlier, although in my experience having Rook Roll I is ussually good enough if you are fast enough. Also, towers 4? Im not sure really, getting maxing hammer a level earlier is way more usefull imho. I do agree with your orb of defiance, very nice synergy with staff of renewal. 

A rook must work with teammates, otherwise his speed will mean he is easily ganked on, even with high hp and orb of defieance.

Also remeber that minion builds will smoke your towers since they distract ower fire.

July 19, 2009 7:13:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Against a pro team tower farms will not work.

thats why you invest only 1 point in it and use it for teleporting.

im actually surprised people dont at least get 1 level of structural transfer, it is useful if you know what you are doing.

July 19, 2009 9:45:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I always take exactly 2 ranks of towers since they are powerful early game, but I rarely build "farms" with them.

Structural transfer gives health, but it requires a tower and for you to sit immobile on the front lines in a vulnerable position when you were most likely at low health to begin with. It is much better to have upgraded creeps to priests and retreat to them/health crystal.

I think 1 rank of boulder roll, shoulder towers, or hammer would keep you alive longer than 1 rank of struct. trans.

July 19, 2009 12:04:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tower farms can work in games with good players.

Played one where Rook completely shut down the two center lanes. On Zikkurat, no less. Took no less than three DGs to push him out, and Giants to finally keep him out. Throughout the entire game, even when we finally got 4 portals of giants on them, we never managed to get a kill on that Rook. Thing is, if Rook ever had any problems, his allies would be right there to push back with him.

July 19, 2009 4:18:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Obscenitor, dont get "siege" hat so early, you can take another rank of hammer instead, which is way more usefull(remeber that siege hat only does like 40 dps) .
It does 500 damage per shot to structures, which is quite a bit mroe than 40 DPS.  Against players it's usually hitting for around 130, if I hit an enemy DG twice with it between hammer cooldowns it does about the same damage with greater utility.
Also you may want to get boulderrol earlier, although in my experience having Rook Roll I is ussually good enough if you are fast enough.
You mean the later ranks?  I get the first one at level 5, though I do get rank II late.
Also, towers 4? Im not sure really, getting maxing hammer a level earlier is way more usefull imho. I do agree with your orb of defiance, very nice synergy with staff of renewal.
This goes back to people's perception of towers doing shitty damage late game.  Rank 4 towers do about 210 damage per shot, I don't have an exact number because there's a damage range on it.  That's a good 150 damage per hit on most players.  For me though it's not even about the damage, it's about mana.  The cost drops from 400 to 200, so I end up doing more damage with rank 4 towers and rank 2 slam than I would with rank 4 slam because I'm casting slam twice as ofter as I otherwise would due to the mana I'm saving.
A rook must work with teammates, otherwise his speed will mean he is easily ganked on, even with high hp and orb of defieance.

Also remeber that minion builds will smoke your towers since they distract ower fire.

Minion builds are hard on rook regardless.  Spirits are a pain to connect with if you depend on hammer slam and a good player is going to surround you with nightwalkers rather than leave them on one side of you, making it difficult to really connect with all those on a good slam unless you lead with a boulder roll which puts you short on mana and two important cooldowns.  Then you have Sedna's minions which can't be defeated by max rank hammer slams due to their HP and QoT's which are purely ranged (well except for minotaurs) and can be instantly resummoned.  

There's no perfect counter to minions, but I find that the most helpful counter to them for me whittling them down with the tower dance and then finishing them with a slam.  Also esacpe works well if EB doesn't warp in and bite to allow them to catch up.  Having towers is a much greater deterrent to that than hammer slam in my experience, as warping in ahead of the minions means EB is going to be focused fired and the dispersion minions cause is a non-issue.  A boulder roll on the EB while half a dozen towers are hitting him can take off half his life and tag the minions behind him to stall their assault.

But this could go on for a long, long time.  I've played a ton of games and had a lot of victories and losses against minion swarms.  The build I use is the one that gives me the most versatility and that is the most generally effective with my playstyle.

Well I always take exactly 2 ranks of towers since they are powerful early game, but I rarely build "farms" with them.
With a 6-8 second cooldown on towers I would say that any time you spend about 40 seconds in one place you can have a reasonable farm built.  Any time I move near the front line I leave a little trail of towers behind me.  That to me is tower farming and it happens quite a bit.  

You say it's easy to take them down or go around them and that's not true.  Late game towers get 2400+ HP, most players do at best 300 DPS by level 10, meaning they can only drop them as fast as you can build them if they spend all their time attacking them while creeps, your allies, you, etc. advance on them.  Awareness of your opponents' abilties is key here.  If you stack up your towers against a regulus with mines and AA you'll lose all of them in a heartbeat.  If you put them all together against a QoT who drops them to -1500 armor and then does 600 splash damage on each hit they're going to go down practically instantly.  However the most popular DGs cannot take down a properly built farm all that quickly without injury to themselves.

As for going around them, that is impossible on any map buy prison.  You can go through them, but not around them without passing through high visibility areas like passing the exp flag and approaching from the back of the lanes on Cataract.

July 20, 2009 2:06:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Usually, I do not play a tower rook myself... I have never really been good with them.  For the begining of the game, sure, they're great.... unless you have a Regulus in your lane.  Late game tho, I find them pretty much useless once the other team upgrades to Cats. If you are up against Cats and have at least one demigod in the lane opposing you, it seems you can never keep enough towers up for them to be useful.  Just my opinion tho.

July 20, 2009 2:56:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Usually, I do not play a tower rook myself... I have never really been good with them.  For the begining of the game, sure, they're great.... unless you have a Regulus in your lane.
You're not using a staff of renewal if regulus is an issue early game.  You should be able to push a regulus out of a lane easily in the early game.  I've had many, many games where regulus just attacks my towers for several minutes on end.  If you are the same level regulus does not deal enough damage to burn through tower HP as fast as you can drop them.

You should be able to drop a tower, fall back, and then drop a new tower in range of regulus and force him off the previous one until reg falls all the way back to the protection of a base tower.

Late game tho, I find them pretty much useless once the other team upgrades to Cats. If you are up against Cats and have at least one demigod in the lane opposing you, it seems you can never keep enough towers up for them to be useful.  Just my opinion tho.
You should be level 10'ish by war rank 8 and rank 4 towers have 2850 HP and cost 200 mana.  There's only 2 or 3 cats per wave and if you drop one in range of them it will easily kill them both.

I think the build requires a lot of patience and is a lot busier than other DGs out there.  It may just not be your style.

July 22, 2009 4:54:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't like playing the tower build because its so f%&£ing boring because no-one wants to come into contact with you.

^^

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.