The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock Summer Vacation
Jul 11, 2016 8:00

Stardock will be closed for the week starting on Monday, July 4th and we will be returning on Monday, July 11th. We will be monitoring support tickets and forums during this time, but expect delays in responses during this time.

Virtual Memory

By on July 17, 2009 8:18:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Master U

Join Date 11/2006
+6

Hey guys,

Today I encountered some problems with my *new* Samsung T220 screen, which is a 22" screen that works perfectly fine. All the images I see on the web and outside the web like in games, are getting blurry and have a little motion blur in their right sides. I was told this might be a low virtual memory problem. A few days ago my PC informed me that my virtual memory is *indeed* low, but the bastard didn't offer anything to help.

How do I deal with a low virtual memory? This screen is supposed to act good, instead I see everything in a blur. This isn't a cable issue or anything else because I checked and double checked before posting here. Also, is a low virtual memory a problem that can cause other programmes or things in my PC to run not as planned? Please advise, any help from you guys will be much appreciated... I really don't have anywhere else to go. (except the store I bought the screen from but that's rather irrelevant)

Thanks a lot,

-MU

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 17, 2009 8:31:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Try a simple restart, that usuallty fixes mine. I believe there are ways to check/increase virtual memory size. Try googling it, heh.

July 17, 2009 9:09:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You CAN increase the virtual memory size. This is in XP:

1. Click Start, then open the Control Panel.

2. Click System.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Under Performance, click Settings.

5. Click the Advanced tab.

6. Under Virtual memory, click Change.

7. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file (virtual memory) settings that you want to change. In almost every case, this will be your C: drive.

8. Click to select the "Custom size" option, set your values, then click Set.

9. Click OK three times and restart your computer.

I recommend setting the initial size about 1.5 of the amount of your RAM (say you have 1 gig RAM - set it to 1.5 gigs) and setting the maximum size about two times bigger than the initial size (initial is 1.5 gigs - maximum is 3 gigs).

And this is why you should ALWAYS have free space on that drive.

Hope this helps.

July 17, 2009 11:20:45 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've never heard of virtual memory having anything to do with image ghosting. However if you're using a VGA cable to connect the monitor to your machine, you should use a DVI cable if possible, as the digital->analog->digital conversion can do that sort of thing.

July 17, 2009 12:34:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've never heard of virtual memory having anything to do with image ghosting.

If the system is using shared memory it would make sense.

As for reply #2, set the min and max to the same value... (1.5x your physical ram). Also check your free hard drive space. Are you running low?

July 17, 2009 12:47:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Well thanks all for the replies,

[TAI]Elixir, rebooting the PC won't do it.

tito_defekt, I'll try that now

kryo, hmm, I think I already use a DVI cable but I may be wrong, I'll check that too.

And phoon, I have 14 GB left on my system C drive, out of 50... Yeah bad settings.. :/

July 17, 2009 1:22:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

50GB ???  say what?!?!?!

July 17, 2009 1:32:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How old is your PC?!?!?! You might just be juicing it too much lol (assuming that the 50GB is a sign of an older PC)

July 17, 2009 2:59:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Actually not at all, just about 2 years, the F drive has 200 GB. Just wrong configuration, I wasn't there when they set up my PC. I know rip off, but the screen compensated that.. til now

July 18, 2009 8:59:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Well, doing what tito_defekt suggested didn't work. It's still doing it. Might be as well a cable problem or maybe I should just get the screen checked. :/

July 19, 2009 5:06:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also check the drivers. Update them if needed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000797   Page Render Time: