The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

How To Feed Your Team Items

By on July 14, 2009 11:20:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can buy items by left-clicking on them in the shop menu. 

Once you close the shop open your equipped/character stats interface and right-click on an item to drop it.  It will appear on the ground as a rotating treasure chest. 

Anyone can pick up the chest and the item within will be automatically equipped on them if they have room or don't already own the item  (Consumables can be stored in stacks of three) 

If the item is already owned or the player has no room then the item will be destroyed on pick up. 

Items can be sold back to the shop for 80% of their original value. 

Idols cannot be dropped

Feeding, trading, or reselling items has obvious applications.  The most common is having one teammate go back to base to load up on pots or teleport scrolls so that his ally(s) can stay in the field. 

Other uses I've seen or used -

1.  In a three person team, one assassin and two support generals, the support feed items to the assassin to outlevel his damage or tanking

2.  One player feeds the other an item he can sell to the store to buy idols

3.  All players on a team drop items that one player can use to buy an artifact or high-level citadel upgrade

4.  Players drop pots and other consumables just behind their first line of towers so that active item slots are free, to lessen the need to hit base, or to give fleeing teammates a needed ace in the hole

5.  New players feed experienced players who will be better able to use the gear/gold

Things to avoid when feeding items -

1.  Pick up an item you already have or don't have room for (the item will be destroyed)

2.  Attempt to exchange items when your opponents are anywhere nearby (nothing worse than dropping Slayer's Wraps for your teammate only to have an enemy pick them up)

3.  Attempt to drop an item while still in the shop interface (the item will be sold back)

4.  Feed teammates who don't need it or don't know how to use it
a. don't need - Support QoT is usually set with a helmet and some idol priests through midgame, you don't need to give her a Mageslayer because her role isn't DPS in most cases
b. don't know - Stacking items on the team UB when that UB doesn't know how to play yet tends to be a bad call

5.  Act as if you are as buffed as the guy you just spent all your gold equipping.  You aren't, so don't get out in front of him

6.  Expecting the feed to yield immediate invincibility for your team - it won't do that.  What it will do is create asymmetries most opponents aren't used to countering yet.

7.  Expecting the feed to bring your mediocre team to victory over a tight and organized set of opponents.  That won't happen, and they will exploit the asymmetries you present to them ruthlessly

*It's worth noting that PUGs can feed items as effectively as premades, they just have to take the first step and communicate.  If you join a random and someone suggests a feed strategy against a team that isn't noticeably better, go for it.   It's worth practicing. 

**Final Note:  The best of all possible ways to feed your teammates is to get (at least) the first citadel gold upgrade as soon as you have the war rank.  Don't leave it for your teammate to do if you can do it first.

+118 Karma | 18 Replies
July 15, 2009 12:08:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You have a very powerful final note.

You can always ask someone to get an upgrade, but if you can get it, even if thankless, it's worth it.

July 15, 2009 12:17:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh, I just had a 4v4 game where two of my teammates dropped in the beginning. But the QoT ended up buying me a mage slayer because she didn't need anything else. UB + mage slayer and bulwark = lol. That's how you win with two AI teammates

July 15, 2009 1:37:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pooling items should be removed from the game.

July 15, 2009 2:44:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pooling is fine

July 15, 2009 9:30:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If the item is already owned or the player has no room then the item will be destroyed on pick up. 

Just a small correction, if already owned it won't be destroyed, you just won't be able to pick up.

In a game couple of days ago, I did just this, thinking I'd just sold the item to buy giants.

Luckily, I got to sell my item, then pick up the dropped one, instead of it going poof for no profit

Also note 2 limitations:

- You cannot drop an item when moving

- You cannot drop an item on cooldown. (If you're sharing locks/pots, always drop for teammate before using yourself)

July 16, 2009 7:52:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,
pooling items should be removed from the game.

Why? It seems like a viable strategy. You trade general expertise to kit out one demigod to an extreme.

July 16, 2009 8:46:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just a small correction, if already owned it won't be destroyed, you just won't be able to pick up.

ah good call - I have never been brave enough to actually try it ^^

July 16, 2009 10:17:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why? It seems like a viable strategy. You trade general expertise to kit out one demigod to an extreme.

it undermines team spirit(win as a team, lose as a team) and sportsmanship.

stacking the most OP demigod on your team beyond all reason is a fair tactic, but it is not ethical.

several items like TP scrolls, potions, caplocks i think are fair items to trade because they do not increase an individuals stats, but instead encourage teamwork.

July 16, 2009 10:48:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it actually strengthens teamplay as now you are more dependent on your team to survive since you have dropped some of your gear. And in turn your stronger ally should protect all of the weaker DGs on his team as well. Otherwise it would end as having a reverse effect and feeding the enemy gold.

ethical? Why would it not be ethical? Its a balanced, counterable tactic that is not entirely effective in every situation.

Trading items hurts you seriously, and having a single uber player on your team will not win you the game unless the enemy team is just that bad. It works a lot like the mob tactic where all DGs stick together to be able to take down enemies and towers very fast, but suffer from mobility and flags.

July 17, 2009 12:01:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wasn't aware the term "ethical" could even be applied to playing video games.  Is going out of the way to kill an enemy who's already running ethical?

July 17, 2009 4:48:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,

it undermines team spirit(win as a team, lose as a team) and sportsmanship.

stacking the most OP demigod on your team beyond all reason is a fair tactic, but it is not ethical.

several items like TP scrolls, potions, caplocks i think are fair items to trade because they do not increase an individuals stats, but instead encourage teamwork.

this coming from a inactive player LULZ

July 17, 2009 5:21:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SleepyForest,

Trolling and derogatory comments. Typical.

July 17, 2009 6:05:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ust a small correction, if already owned it won't be destroyed, you just won't be able to pick up.

they fixed that bug then in 1.1

July 17, 2009 11:42:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aroddo,

Quoting SleepyForest, reply 11

Trolling and derogatory comments. Typical.

You've played 73 games TOTAL,

All your posts are invalid until you reach the 100 mark

Sorry buddy

ps, derogatory comments are still truthful:(

July 17, 2009 9:11:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i bet he gets picked on at school. poor guy. 

August 13, 2009 8:12:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pooling is banned in DotA (with some minor regen item lending and consumables exceptions) because it unbalances the game (heroes aren't balanced for whacky item-scaling).  The only pooling I'd like to see would be the ability to pay for part of a citadel upgrade, instead of one person having to pay for the whole thing.

August 14, 2009 12:20:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't like pooling of gear either. You see the enemy setup, find the best DG on your team and pump him full of items early on so he can run around killing everything. It throws off the early game balancing. I don't mind pots etc, but equipable items like armours, boots, artifacts etc just throw it all off.

How does it increase teamplay when after you do that, he just runs around slaughtering everything solo?

August 14, 2009 2:36:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because the other team can also do it?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.