The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Favor Item: Flux crystal

By on July 12, 2009 2:33:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think we need a favor item that boosts the mana side of things and something that can help casters a little more with energy management especially right at the start of a game to lessen the amount of mana potions needed to stay at ur post and still be relatively more efficient.

Flux crystal
Passive
 -200 max health (decreased penalty by 100)
 +200 max mana [added]
 +10 mana per second
 +25% to mana regen [added] (this can make this item more effective depending on your equips)

Use
 For 5 seconds you gain 120 health per second. (600 health)
 [cooldown 35 seconds] (decreased cooldown by 10 seconds to make the heal use more viable)

Reasoning behind stats
-200 health - i believe there should be a small negative side to this item because +10 mana regen is quite a lot to start off a game with. Max health is very important at start of match, so i think that making the user a little more squishy it would make them think twice about getting unecessary dmg.
This may also deter melee ranged characters from using this favor item also.

+10 mana per second - Im gonna use TB (lvl 1) and Rain of Ice I for this example....
TB's stats:     max mana = 1100
                    mana regen = 3.64 (+10 = 13.64 with favor item)
Rain of Ice I: mana cost = 500
                    cooldown = 14 secs

Before favor item...
You will only be able to use rain of ice twice within a time period of 28 secs. Due to the lack of energy regen at level one ull be waiting 137 secs to be able to use your next rain of ice (keep in mind im disregarding the use of mana potions etc).

Equipping favor item...
If you use rain of ice twice, you'll be down to 100 mana. After this... with this favor item TB will gain 182 mana every 14 secs. Meaning you should be able to cast rain of ice every 35 secs. (hopefully this makes sense). This will give TB some staying power as he will not have to go back to crystal to regen as often. This may seem a lot BUT, as you level, you get more skills, and the stronger they get the more they cost. Spamming these skills as often as you can will still make you run out of mana and very quickly.   

Favor item use/ability
Just a quick counter to the loss of the 200 max health with an additional heal of 400 health.

Google definitions of 'flux'...
- the rate of flow of energy
- a flow or discharge
- a state of uncertainty about what should be done

I thought id make an item that reflect its definition...

im no expert at maths so if any stats are wrong, just correct me.

+32 Karma | 10 Replies
July 12, 2009 4:42:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The loss of health is the harshest penalty possible, and, i believ,e no items in game currently come with a penalty. I think this is a nice theme to stay with: Items should always be good things.

Blade of the Serpent, Warlord's Staff, Essence of Mana, Cloak of Night, these things do give extra mana.

July 12, 2009 4:55:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeh i see where ur comin from, but ive taken many other things into consideration. Although i couldve been a little more generous with its "USE" side. Maybe 120 health per second for 5 secs? That could counter balance the loss of 300 max health and heal you for an additional 300 health. (ill edit it to this...)

as for your example of other items that give energy.... i dont use em becoz i feel there r other way better items for casters especially TB .. such as staff of renewal. If not that id just get Blood of the fallen. But with that max health ... id have to go bak to crystal to regen on mana to be able to do anything effectively.

I think wat ive suggested is reasonable amount of energy regen when used in conjucction with other mana stat equips without making it completely OP thats y ive given a downside and now one that can be countered with its "USE".

July 12, 2009 5:44:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+10 mana is nothing. It'll give you an extra level 1 fireball every 30 seconds. Whoop. De. Doo.

you can get far better for an item that costs only 200 gold (combat mana pot)...and -300 health will hurt you far, far more than spending 200 gold every 1.5 minutes.

For it to be really worth it and keeping with the spirit of the thing:

Item: toggle ability -50 hp/sec for a +75/sec restore mana AURA

making it basically hurt like level 4 ooze.

Edit: this is because your calculations are crap (when you run out of mana you don't wait for it to regen...you run back to the crystal or chug a potion, activate BotS, etc. etc.). Only when you stack several items like plenor and vlemish do you actually start having enough mana to keep up with abilities). Ergo, +10mana == crap.

July 12, 2009 6:51:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as i said ... im no expert at maths. only meant to be rough calculations to get the gist of the reasoning behind it.

If i can compare this to BotF, this favor item is prob of the same effectiveness. Just more effective for ranged character.

[[Before favor item...
You will only be able to use rain of ice twice within a time period of 28 secs. Due to the lack of energy regen at level one ull be waiting 137 secs to be able to use your next rain of ice (keep in mind im disregarding the use of mana potions etc). Equipping favor item...
If you use rain of ice twice, you'll be down to 100 mana. After this... with this favor item TB will gain 182 mana every 14 secs. Meaning you should be able to cast rain of ice every 35 secs. (hopefully this makes sense). This will give TB some staying power as he will not have to go back to crystal to regen as often. This may seem a lot BUT, as you level, you get more skills, and the stronger they get the more they cost. Spamming these skills as often as you can will still make you run out of mana and very quickly.]]

The underlined bold text shows the time difference in having to wait to be able to use the skill again. To me ... waiting 35 secs rather than 2 mins is a significant difference. Countdown from the first spell casted if you want. REMEMBER, the item isnt supposed to make you invincible.

July 12, 2009 9:47:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes but SH0DAN have you ever played in a game like cataract. If you leave your post you really are hurting and normally you can counteract that -300 with the +400 item at the beginning of the game. And lets not forget that pelnors helm becomes more viable as something to get due to this. Basically you are getting the velmish facegaurd and pelnors helm with a favor item and pelnors helm. I say it should get a nice boost to max mana as well.

Even i agree that +10 is a little low. You need a mana boost to make it effective.

Also if we did what you suggested with the drain on health for mana regen then sedna would have a massive possitive mana. Because heal actually costs less mana than it heals 75 mana for 50 health would be an amazing exchance. Sedna loses 1500 health then gains 2250 mana and then heals for 1500 health and is up over 1000 mana. Not a good idea.

July 12, 2009 2:13:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Something percentage-based on both hp and mana would be a more univesally useful item i think...

Something like:

Passive: -20% health total, +50% mana total

Active:  +20% health total, -50% mana total

Anyone might find a use for something like that, depending on build and playstyle.

Numbers adjustable to whatever balances best, of course. This at least would continute to be relevant as you level.

Make the icon for it a ying-yang too, i dunno.

July 12, 2009 10:24:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ty xavior and darth for actually thinking about it.

darth, i like the idea of a percentage stat. However,

Quoting DarthKilmor,

Passive: -20% health total, +50% mana total

Active:  +20% health total, -50% mana total

that passive percentage effect on health would be more disadvantageous than a -300 max health, becoz the more health u get the more health ud be losing. The active state will be not much of a counter since its gonna be time limited and cooldown will be high. but i like the idea so im gonna change a few of the stats/ add maybe.

July 12, 2009 10:45:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't see how this could possibly be worth getting.  Look at Blade of the Serpent.

+400 mana

+25 weapon damage

There are no downsides to this item stat-wise.

Now lets take your Rain of Ice rank I example.  It deals 200 damage and there's what, 6'ish creeps in a standard wave?  So say you activate the blade, hit 5 creeps and one DG with it, you'll deal 1200 damage, returning 900 mana.  This can be done every 45 seconds without cooldown flags, which is about 20 mana per second overall assuming you don't autoattack or deal any other damage for the duration of the 10 second effect, which is highly improbable.

Ignoring the proposed health gain effect on your favor item, that blows this item out of the water at level one, and as your damage scales up it'll scale along with it.  Also cooldown flags affect the cooldown of the blade, meaning on Cataract it has an even greater effect.

Also, on a sidenote, look at the Heart of Life.  The way it gives mana is via +mana per second, which is modified by % mana return, which is why you gain a full mana bar so quickly.  There's no way to be sure that the same effect wouldn't occur with negative mana gain, which could mean extensive code changes would be required...  but that's just conjecture.

July 12, 2009 11:24:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmm interesting .. i never actually tried using blade before using rain of ice coz i assumed u only gain the mana through auto attacks, well then i guess its better than what i proposed. noobie me...

Maybe the item i suggested is more suited for generals? not sure ...

anyhow these stats can always change ... items will always need to be tweaked especially at the start

***I changed and added some stats ... lemme know wat u think now

July 13, 2009 5:43:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Like the changes a LOT. This seems like an item that is really viable.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.