The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Massive Fail

Meaning of word "noob"

By on July 11, 2009 7:52:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi guys, this my first post. Sorry for my mistakes with english, but i`m still learning.

P.S. if i made mistake (with grammar or something) please tell me, don`t blame instead, i will correct.

I hate when peoples, don`t look to web dictionary and use words, when don`t know real meaning.

[or listen 13 years boys with complexes (yeah, they don`t look at Dictionary too)]

Go to the point.

Newbie = Guy playing game first time (or just started, whatever), or playing casually.

Noob = Guy playing game first time, but saying, he knows about game everything, annoying teammates and blame others when somebody tell him [like, "you doing it wrong"].

Noob imo is relative to internet troll.

But this is my definition, what google says?

I don`t understand how big this problem is.

70% or more sites have wrong meaning.

So, sorry for that about 13 years boys with complexes and about aren`t looking at sites.

But i search deeply i found something what i want.

"

Noob

The game definition of noob (variant spelling, n00b) is usually someone, often in online games who acts in offensive ways to other users or people that surround them and refuse to go away, or stay by any other methods for the sole purpose of annoying others. The word noob can also mean in an online game someone who did something stupid, or asked an obvious question. For example, if someone asks a question answered in the FAQ or is common knowledge, others will call that person a noob. The word derive from the word 'newbie' and 'boob'. In which the former word means a new players, and the latter word means an *****.

Newb

Newb is also considered a relatively new person to a game that is inexperienced and doesn't know what they are doing. This term is often addressed as newb (Newbie). However, in recent times this term is infrequently used and has been widely accepted as being replaced by noob.

"

Link to site with this - http://forum.gametribe.com/showthread.php?t=10757

Edit: look here too - http://www.playpark.net/forums/viewthread/8650/

But why i so stubborn at this?

Well look at first post, this good example how peoples makes wrong meaning of this word.

Well, i remember, 3-4 years before, 'noob' wasn`t so popular word and meaning was correct.

But, why i make this topic?

Because i hate when games for newbie (like me), have name "noobs game" or "noobs only".

Damn, i don`t want play with some noobs! Or another problem. Guids for noobs.

0_o What is that? Some guide how don`t blame other peoples or don`t let anger take over myself?

Ok, that all what i want say, what is your opinion?

0 Karma | 19 Replies
July 11, 2009 10:03:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm still stuck in the SC days when GG was purely sarcastic, so I have a hard time stifling my rage when people say it at the end of a match or round of l4d, so I'm afraid I can't help you.

July 11, 2009 12:26:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have seen a noob guild before... "The Exiled" from the WoW server I play on. It consisted of everyone on the server who had been more or less blacklisted from all other guilds. They annoyed each other so much that the guild fell apart within a few months.

July 11, 2009 12:41:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Imo most people who use the term in either form are idiots..and usualy wrong and just being dicks.

July 11, 2009 12:59:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Obscenitor - oh thx for that, i don`t know about that kind of use "gg". - not in every match ofc.

@alway - its great example of meaning in game. thx

Quoting SnallTrippin,
Imo most people who use the term in either form are idiots..and usualy wrong and just being dicks.

Well, yeah. But imo, real problem makes that, new (in web) people don`t know about this, look on first site with "urban dictonary".

When they saw "noob=newbie-new player", they are using it with premeditation, which isn`t their fail - not really.

July 11, 2009 6:20:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

gg was purely sarcastic in SC? (SC being StarCraft or Supreme Commander? I never played Star Craft)   gg has always meant 'good game' as in a show of  good sportsmanship after a match.  Like when you were a kid playing soccer and lined up after the match to shake hands with the other team saying 'good game'..

July 12, 2009 2:33:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In Starcraft it used to be poor form to say GG, not Supreme Commander (as far as I know). It no longer is, however, as both "true" and colloquial english are always in a state of change.

July 12, 2009 2:36:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In Starcraft it used to be poor form to say GG
Yup.  It's polite nowadays on Left 4 Dead and DG, but I'm still accustomed to the old SC days.

July 12, 2009 9:37:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GG is socailly accepted in Sins and Demigod and people I play with feel put out if they win and they don't get it from their opponent - it's like doffing your hat - it shows respect...

July 12, 2009 10:01:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hint: In TF2, be sure to open the chat menu before tapping your double G to show respect.

July 12, 2009 10:03:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find GG is used in two different ways. It is, as listed above, a sign of respect. Like posting 'GL HF' at the start if a match - meaning Good Luck Have Fun - is just a way of saying 'No hard feelings, we all played well'.

However, in Starcraft - with it's 'Ima pro smashing t3h n00bs' mentality that dominates it's online multiplayer community - most people only post 'GG' - being Good Game - when they've obliterated their opponent or won the game. Most often, you'll see 'GG nubs' or something of equal derogatory value.

Personally, I use 'GL HF' and 'GG' all the time out of a sign of good sportsment ship.

July 12, 2009 10:22:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
Hint: In TF2, be sure to open the chat menu before tapping your double G to show respect.

Do you play TF2 with that name? Because last week I saw a pseudomelon

July 12, 2009 10:25:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shade,

Quoting pseudomelon, reply 9Hint: In TF2, be sure to open the chat menu before tapping your double G to show respect.
Do you play TF2 with that name? Because last week I saw a pseudomelon

Yeah, I do. So far as I know, I'm the only guy on the interwebs who uses it at all.

July 12, 2009 10:35:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looking at the profile I still don't think it's you. Are you from Andorra, Spain?

July 13, 2009 6:18:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From Massive Fail to Massive Offtopic.

July 13, 2009 7:17:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In Left 4 Dead these days people say "gg" just to say "We won!".  You can tell they don't actually mean "gg" cause they will use it when the tank starts at the safe room and you score 23 points before you are totally stomped.  "good game"?  Are you taking the piss?

I love how people try and come up with seperate definitions for Newb and Noob.  Noob came about in my Counter Strike days and was just following a trend of creating words by spelling things how they sounded or deliberately misspelling like a child (pwnt, pron, !!one11ELEVEN!!).  So Newbie became Noob, purely to mean the person was new at the game.  This became an insult that in them days was really good at winding the other team/person up!

Eventually a re(miss)spelling, or reshortening of newbie, came about of Newb, it meant exactly the same thing.  Eventually though people used to use Newb as someone who was new and Noob as more of an insult, no idea why but you would get these people who "knew" that that is what they mean.  They were made up words used differently amongst different communities, how these people claimed to know the meaning always used to make me chuckle.

Noob is as much a meaningless insult as calling someone gay these days.  It's meant to be a curse but not necessarily always accusing the person of being the literal meaning, although sometimes it is.

July 13, 2009 12:51:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Noob is going to be next mem. Everybody uses, nobody knows what really means.

Sad.

@Haree78 -

Yeah, good summary, karma for U.

Btw. 

Its funny dependence, more younger guy playing game = more N00bz in name, more rage quits, more calling someone gay/noob. more... being childish.

Anyway

Gay? You mean that guy which make sex with other guy? So, Noob = Gay?

"Mom, Dad, I`m Noob."

ROTFL.

July 13, 2009 8:16:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shade,
Looking at the profile I still don't think it's you. Are you from Andorra, Spain?

No, that was a joke a friend of mine made while making my account If you see me again on TF2, I can confirm I'm me... Heh, odd conversation

July 13, 2009 8:21:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh wow lol. You were on my clan's TF2 server I tried asking if you played Demigod (you were too busy flaming people with pyro I guess ) I think we were playing granary arena last week

July 13, 2009 10:01:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, sorry My brother plays on my TF2 account sometimes, and it might have been him. Almost certainly if it was a pyro

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.