The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A less crazy title about how I was frustrated that day

By on July 10, 2009 7:04:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So, my wife and I both take college courses online, because we can't imagine trying to schedule courses at a campus between our jobs and children.

This is what happened to me today. I spilled a rock N rye on my good laptop, the one that is capable of playing modern games on it and is mine personally.  No biog deal normally, so I turn it off unplug it, remove the battery etc.. I clean the keyboard off and let it rest a while..  It will not turn back on now.. it doesn't even try.. pushing the button does nothing.

I'm freaking out I like computer games and the 1,000 dollars I spent on it isn't exactly cheap for me.  We still have my wife's computer.  So I go to do my homework on that, and it appears that somethime between last night and now SOMEONE HAS STEPPED ON IT AND RUINED THE SCREEN!

That's both our computers taken out in the same day.. We aren't wealthy we can't afford to replace anything on such short notice, not to mention two expensive things like these.

and it always happens this way.  Whenever I'm working towards improving my life something shitty happens.  In High School when i was finally applying myself and earning good grades, my father *a teacher at the school* dies from an aneurysm at 34m playing a game of basketball.  then afterword I have to go to the place he worked every day and the place he died.  Needless to say I skipped a lot.

Why do these things happen to me?

+15 Karma | 27 Replies
July 10, 2009 7:15:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ecclesiates 9:11

If you want to bring God into it read that scripture

July 10, 2009 7:30:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New Living Translation (NLT)

Passage Ecclesiastes 9:11:

11 I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time.

You made me go look that up? Thanks for caring enough to tell me to read that by the way

July 10, 2009 9:07:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wtf is a rock n rye?

July 10, 2009 10:55:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wtf is New Living Translation?

July 10, 2009 11:10:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Why do these things happen to me?

Bad luck.

Can be repaired -- with time.

July 10, 2009 11:29:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I spilled a rock N rye on my good laptop, the one that is capable of playing modern games on it and is mine personally.  (...) It will not turn back on now.. it doesn't even try.. pushing the button does nothing.

We still have my wife's computer.  So I go to do my homework on that, and it appears that somethime between last night and now SOMEONE HAS STEPPED ON IT AND RUINED THE SCREEN!

That's both our computers taken out in the same day.. We aren't wealthy we can't afford to replace anything on such short notice, not to mention two expensive things like these.

..So..How are you still posting? A note, posting at work, if you are, may just bring you more bad luck.

July 11, 2009 12:56:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,
New Living Translation (NLT)

Passage Ecclesiastes 9:11:

11 I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time.

You made me go look that up? Thanks for caring enough to tell me to read that by the way

Things like this happen all the time. Me and the wife just realized we overspent our account. With bills we HAD to pay (house, car). Sometimes all you can do is hold on and pray.

July 11, 2009 5:23:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This happens to everyone.  Accept the fact that shit will happen for no reason other than because it just could.  There's usually no rhyme or reason to it.  Try not to let it bother you too much, that will cause more stress than you need.

July 12, 2009 1:59:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is what happened to me today. I spilled a rock N rye on my good laptop, the one that is capable of playing modern games on it and is mine personally. No biog deal normally, so I turn it off unplug it, remove the battery etc.. I clean the keyboard off and let it rest a while.. It will not turn back on now.. it doesn't even try.. pushing the button does nothing.

No big deal normally??   Unless you have one of those ToughBook laptops spilling any liquid on a laptop can kill the laptop.  Based on your post it sounds like you've spilled liquid on your laptop at least a couple of times... hence you've been lucky and/or blessed in the past to recover the laptop. 

We still have my wife's computer. So I go to do my homework on that, and it appears that somethime between last night and now SOMEONE HAS STEPPED ON IT AND RUINED THE SCREEN!

Stepped on the screen?!??  Do you just place your laptops on the floor... testing fate??  I've heard of people dropping a laptop, but if someone has stepped on the laptop then someone carelessly left it on the floor or a stairway. 

----

My advice is you should start treating your electronic devices which are $500, $1000, $1500, etc., etc.,  with their proper value.  Based on the story I might even expect your television is underneath the aquarium. 

July 22, 2009 5:32:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NTJedi,

This is what happened to me today. I spilled a rock N rye on my good laptop, the one that is capable of playing modern games on it and is mine personally. No biog deal normally, so I turn it off unplug it, remove the battery etc.. I clean the keyboard off and let it rest a while.. It will not turn back on now.. it doesn't even try.. pushing the button does nothing.
No big deal normally??   Unless you have one of those ToughBook laptops spilling any liquid on a laptop can kill the laptop.  Based on your post it sounds like you've spilled liquid on your laptop at least a couple of times... hence you've been lucky and/or blessed in the past to recover the laptop. 

We still have my wife's computer. So I go to do my homework on that, and it appears that somethime between last night and now SOMEONE HAS STEPPED ON IT AND RUINED THE SCREEN!
Stepped on the screen?!??  Do you just place your laptops on the floor... testing fate??  I've heard of people dropping a laptop, but if someone has stepped on the laptop then someone carelessly left it on the floor or a stairway. 

----

My advice is you should start treating your electronic devices which are $500, $1000, $1500, etc., etc.,  with their proper value.  Based on the story I might even expect your television is underneath the aquarium. 

What's wrong with that them thar fishys look so cool floating above the screen!  And I have all my surround sound speakers on a shelf above the tank! Is this wrong?!!?

Darwinism is so grand.

July 22, 2009 11:59:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Duh -- water is conductive to electrical spikes - you don't want to fry your exotic collection of angels & tropical swimmers, do you?

Besides, everyone knows it's not the tank but the shit filter that cleans up see-through glass swiped dirty by algae residues.

Any lizard or cat nearby?

Accidents do happen.

July 22, 2009 3:17:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Start at THe Beginning ..............................The question you ask has already be aswered..........

and its free..........lol

Bless...........

July 22, 2009 3:53:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

God doesn't want you to fail, it is you who THINKS that you will fail. Or you maybe even feel that you KNOW that something bad is going to happen to you today. And it will happen. Because our universe is made up of our thoughts!

I don't trust in any god, and I can honestly say that I don't believe that they exist. Because I know of the Law of Attraction.

Basically it's about how everything (the universe) works and how we make our own universe from our thoughts. If we know that something is going to happen, it happens. If we focus on other people making mistakes, we will make mistakes ourselves.
But it doesn't only work the bad way, you can also focus on something good! If you keep a feeling inside that you will get a nice surprice in the city today, you will get it. However, you have to focus on the right things. Universe gives you what you focus on, and doesn't care if it's good or bad. If you focus on NOT failing, you will fail because you focus on the failing. If you instead focus on SUCCESS you will be successful.

There's a lot more behind the law of attraction, but this is the basics!
I opened my eyes for this theory when I read the book The Secret (based on the movie) by Rhonda Byrne, and I can honestly say that it works. Before I read it I believed that there could be a god, maybe not The God but a god or gods. Now I know why people like christians can get what they pray for. Because they believe that they're going to get that. Universe doesn't care if you believe in gods or something else to get it for you, it only fixes it for you.

July 22, 2009 4:14:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A few days ago I was driving a car on a highway and saw a car overtaking another car on a high speed just before road bend. The driver didn't manage to keep a car on a track and just flew off the highway to the field then rolled about 3 times before stopping

So, that driver suffered a real fail. A broken laptop is just a little trouble. Don't worry much about it. Good luck

July 22, 2009 10:54:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

WOW! I didn't expect this many responses.

I was freaking right out that day.

I'm a bit more chill now, we've had a few blessings.

some questions that were asked.

How are you typing this now?

-Using the cracked screen. looking around the dead pixels..  We ordered a new one, I will be installing it as soon as we get the time.

What is RockNRye

-If you don't live in the American Midwest and are not a Juggalo(ICP fan) you don't know about the soda comapny Faygo.  they make a cherry flavored cream soda called Rock N Rye.

WTF STEPPED ON!?

-They are usually tucked under a couch or the bed.  The wife keeps hers under the bed.  The new assumption is that the bed got pushed on it.

ZOMG THE ZSECRET!!

-thanks for the advice, I've read the book.  I spend plenty of time thinking of happiness and success there is no such thing as the law of attraction it's all random particles spinning and causing things to happen.

@NTJedi.. Yes there is plenty of reason spilled liquids can kill laptops easily, but if you aren't stupid and let it dry out it usually works... I'm certain mine will come back online once I get the sticky soda goop out of there.  I just need to find out which are the keyboard screws on my particular model.  It seems its the only laptop that I cannot find a disassembly manual for!

July 23, 2009 2:27:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is RockNRye

-If you don't live in the American Midwest and are not a Juggalo(ICP fan) you don't know about the soda comapny Faygo.  they make a cherry flavored cream soda called Rock N Rye.

Many of us were wondering about the  Rock N Rye   drink.  I'm always pleased to see another mystery solved.

WTF STEPPED ON!?

-They are usually tucked under a couch or the bed.  The wife keeps hers under the bed.  The new assumption is that the bed got pushed on it.

I definitely recommend changing the habit of placing the laptops under the couch/bed... or anywhere on the ground.  Dust, hair, insects, etc., are all more heavily abundant on the floors as compared to a nightstand, table, desk, etc., .  While I might place my shoes or a baseball bat under the bed I wouldn't suggest this location for laptops.  

@NTJedi.. Yes there is plenty of reason spilled liquids can kill laptops easily, but if you aren't stupid and let it dry out it usually works... I'm certain mine will come back online once I get the sticky soda goop out of there.  I just need to find out which are the keyboard screws on my particular model.  It seems its the only laptop that I cannot find a disassembly manual for!

I hope you find the manual, but if any soda liquid reached the motherboard once dried the sticky sugar from the drink could have permanently damaged the motherboard.  Before I met my wife she spilled water on her laptop... she let it dry for 24hours and while it still booted to the desktop many of the keyboard keys were dead.  I'm sure the liquid sugar from a soda is more dangerous than water.

July 23, 2009 3:59:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

soda is far more dangerous than water.

Leaving the computers on a nightstand would be even MORE hazardous.  There be a toddler afoot.

July 24, 2009 1:55:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,
soda is far more dangerous than water.

Leaving the computers on a nightstand would be even MORE hazardous.  There be a toddler afoot.

Well no details described a toddler living in the house.  Anything on the floor or within arms reach of the toddler is not safe.  Adding the toddler variable means keeping the laptop safe is even tougher... personally I'd probably place the laptop into my laptop bag and then in the closet when not in use. 

I've been saving my Frys Electronics gift cards from B-days and holidays for 2 years for a great laptop this January.   I've  lost one laptop which came from an unexpected power surge during a visit near Mexico.

July 24, 2009 3:08:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well Actuly If you yank the hard drive, CD rom, flopy and batteries you can wash you laptop by soaking it. Just gotta mae sure you dry i well quickly with room tempersture air and that when you do put power back in it.

Oh I and I do mean batterieS with and S. Even if it'S a laptop it might have a bios battery. Need to remove that one to.

July 24, 2009 2:06:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, either way I have to find the dissassembly manual to get at those bios batteries.

What I really need to knkow is which are the keyboard screws on my model.

My intent is to clean the sticky patches with distilled water and cotton swabs.

I'm optimistic, because I haven't been able to smell ozone on it, so I don't think anything got torched.

August 29, 2009 4:15:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I gave up and sent it in, it turns out I was eligible for an accidental damage warranty on it.  Replaced the screen on my wife's machine myself. My machine is currently on a fedEx truck on it's way home.

August 29, 2009 4:54:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,
I gave up and sent it in, it turns out I was eligible for an accidental damage warranty on it.  Replaced the screen on my wife's machine myself. My machine is currently on a fedEx truck on it's way home.

a fedex truck!

oh well no better than ups truck unfortunately

just check out the YouTube videos of UPS and FedEx throwing packages to help you feel better

August 30, 2009 9:56:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

things happen for a reason. this might not be lucky enough for you but soon you'll look up to these events as blessings in disguise! just believe that all things work together for good to them who loves God and to them who are called according to His purpose!

September 1, 2009 8:30:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,

amazing the way things work out.  after all the frustration and worry and pain, you have to admit that there is a hand at work in our lives that is beyond our control.

September 1, 2009 8:55:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry that happened to you. I'm very glad however, that things worked out ok.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.