The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[bug] shamblers cant attack towers

By on July 10, 2009 1:14:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pretty sure they should be able to attack towers... everything else in the game can!
Title says it all really, try it for yourself - they just sit there

Had a look to see if anything on this topic but didnt see one so raised a newey

0 Karma | 4 Replies
July 10, 2009 2:52:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i stand minorly corrected... when you send them to attack a tower they dont get themself within the correct default range - you have to move them a little closer... THEN they will attack the tower

August 22, 2009 9:33:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I looked into this and found that adding:

"ClosingRadius = 9," to

C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\ddddgdata\units\heroes\HQueen\HQueenEnt_unit.bp seemed to have fixed the problem.

My best guess to the problem is that the closingRadius defaults to the maximum weapon range (14 for the Shamblers) or to a default value (20 seems about right, distances are rather small and I didn't see the point in testing it that much). However due to the mathemetics involved in calculating range, this is occasionally out of range. You'll notice that for all other ranged minions have a ClosingRadius value that is less than their maximum range.

This in range/out of range problem is only apparent when targeting nonmoving units, that is towers.  Other units typically close the distance to the shamblers to engage them. This puts them in range and lets the shamblers shoot at them. However the towers will not close the distance, and so the Shambler moves to ClosingRadius distance, and since they are usually out of range (except in the case that they are jostled closer or move too far) be unable to shoot at them. However, they "think" they are in range and so keep locked onto the tower, never firing.  You'll also notice that in this situation, when other targets come into range of the Shambler, the Shambler will not fire at these closer targets. The shambler is waiting for the tower to get closer and it has priority targetting.  This may also explain why Shamblers are typically seen to do less damage than they should, they are forever outside of their weapon range even though they think they aren't.

Another QoT bug or glitch perhaps is the rendering of her Basic Attack (Roots coming up from the ground). The begining of the attack animation is fine, a root juts out of the ground striking the target and then retreats into the ground. However, if you watch on a map that has bridges or other structures that allow the ground underneath the combat area to be seen, you can see the root retreat down a ways before disappearing after the attack. The later half of this animation should be removed. This is, of course, only true if this is a generic issue, and not just a special feature of my graphics card.

QoT Root Animation Later frame

September 2, 2009 1:07:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can someone verify for me if they have the same Queen of Thorns visual effect issue? I'd like to know if it is just my video card, or if it is universal.

Thanks.

pt

September 2, 2009 3:13:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have that same QoT visual thing. Never really bothered me, but I don't see that it adds anything either. Shamblers' attacks do the same thing iirc.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.