The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Armor vs Damage number crunching: QoT & Erebus, Spikes & Bite (excel inside)

By on July 9, 2009 6:01:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aroddo

Join Date 04/2009
+59

Armor reduces damage. Plain and simple.

More armor reduces more damage. Now it get's interesting, because the damage reduction is not linear but logarithmic.

This means something like this:

One axis stands for armor, the other one for damage mitigation in percent. See more details here.

You can see that at a certain point (or rather intervall) more armor becomes less effective. We are talking about diminished returns. This leads to players not bothering increasing armor above a certain value.

However, Queen of Thorns and Erebus both have skills that reduce armor. QoT's Spikes lower armor by a whopping 1500 and Erebus' Bite manages a decent 700. And both attacking together drop armor by 2200 points which can seriously lower the survivability of affected opponents ... especially if said opponents neglected stocking up on armor, because armor can drop below zero.

The following table shows us what a Erebus/QoT can do to a demigod's defense.

The values in the Spikes/Bite columns represent the extra damage dealt by melee attacks to a demigod with the armor specified in the first column.

Some constellations obviously can never happen, so stop eyeing the corner values.

Some reference points:

Natural Demigod armor at -

Level 1: 220-475
Level 4: 306-571
Level 7: 372-667
Level 10: 438-763

UB has the highest armor, Erebus starts lowest but Rook "undertakes" Erebus before level 4.

Buyable armor for -

400g: +600 (Scale Mail)
1500g: +750 (Nimoth Chest Armor)
3250g: +1050 (Armor of Vengeance)
5200g: +1200 (Groffling Warplate)

There are more items providing armor, but I only wanted to list some significant examples.

If we look back at the table then we can roughly find the armor a DG might have at the moment you poke him with spikes of a certain level. Level 1 DGs enjoy about 14% extra damage from a Level 1 QoT if they forgot to buy armor, about 9% if they didn't. Not very promising, given that QoT isn't exactly a big damage dealer.

However, should they continue to neglect buying armor while QoT levels up, then the effects of higher Spikes become quite noticable: About 28% at Spikes 2, 46% at Spikes 3 and up to 69% at Spikes 4. Noobs might forget to buy armor ... or Rooks that successfully defended a lane for a very long time without retreating. But those that didn't forget probably have about 2000 armor by the time QoT gets Spikes 4, which reduces the bonus damage to about 28%. Still nice.

And in case you team up with Erebus, you get even nicer figures. 53% extra damage against a bitten and spiked DG surely makes a difference. Remember the Oak skill Penitence? DGs hit by that suffer 16% extra damage for a while. DGs have to stack up armor until they reach 3300 to bring the effect of Spikes 4 down to that level.

However, armor reduction gets less effective the longer you play, since most players automatically buy the occasional piece of armor. The bonus provided by those skills get lower and lower the further the game progresses, which probably accounts for the QoT-sucks-late-game observation. Indeed Spike has it's golden age in the early mid-game phase where you can surprise a low armor DG with a fresh level 3 spike, boosting your melee damage against him by nearly 50%. With lots of minions in a creep lane you can wipe out the enemy creeps in an instant and let your creeps and minions concentrate on the unsuspecting victim, resulting in a quick kill.

Sadly, that's about the only phase in any game where you can expect those quick kills.

Locked Post 9 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 9, 2009 6:27:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice read, thanks. Spikes are awesome against towers, that's why Uproot is absolutely useless imho.

Btw, which flags increase armor?

July 9, 2009 7:09:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,
Nice read, thanks. Spikes are awesome against towers, that's why Uproot is absolutely useless imho.

Btw, which flags increase armor?

Those in my dreams.

I thought there were...

July 9, 2009 7:20:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

dear god not this again. i promise ill post again later with more details so i don't end up just purely complaining, but please please please think more about the mathematical interpretation of these numbers. you're currently very wrong. 

you have graphed the quantity "% damage reduced" which is a meaningless quantity with a purely mathematical unit of measure (1/%damage). what you should instead graph is the quantity "time to live", which is a very meaningful quantity with a real unit of measure (seconds).

what you will find, i guarantee you, is that time to live has totally linear increases at all armor levels. there is no diminishing returns on armor if you consider the correct quantity, which is "time to live". 

July 9, 2009 7:43:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was absolutely not interested in calculating "time to live". I'm likewise not interested in playing Demigod in Excel.

I linked the chart from somewhere else because it already clearly showed the mitigation-armor relationship.

The sheets are a bit truncated so they only show the bonus damage gained by using a selected choice of skills. More would be overkill and not part of the numbers I wished to present: Bonus melee damage due to armor reduction skills.

If you consider other derived values more important than meaningless bonus damage values - ok. That's your god-given right. That doesn't automatically make me wrong, though.

On a side note: I consider "time to live" a value of limited usefulness because the value has to be recalculated ever time anyone uses a skill or  an item. Even walking changes ttl while the %-damage bonus stays largely constant inside an exchange of blows.

July 9, 2009 7:56:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

here's the long and the short of it though.

increases in mitigation are compounded on top of existing mitigation. 

for example:

you have 100 health and are taking 10 dps, your time to live is 10 seconds. if you go from 0% mit to 10% mit you are now taking 9 dps and your time to live went up to just a bit over 11 seconds, an increase in time to live of just about 10%

now assume you have have 50% mit so you're only taking 5 dps now and have a time to live of 20 seconds. how much more % mit do you need to increase your time to live by 10%? its much less than the 10% increase you needed at 0% mit. if you increased from 50% to 60% mit you'd only take 4 dps and would have time to live of 25 seconds, thats a whopping 25% increase in time to live from a 10% increase in %mit. you'd only need to increase your %mit from 50% to about 55% to increase your time to live by the 10% you got previously. 

this is just an example, not a rigorous proof, but the idea is pretty clear. 

the apparently diminishing rate of return on armor is just that, apparent. there's no "soft cap", diminshing returns is a myth. at any level of armor you have getting more armor will be equally beneficialy and losing armor will be equally harmful. the log curve appearance of the chart is the result of graphing the function on the wrong type of paper. lin/lin paper gives you this misleading result. lin/log paper (aka semi-log) is what you'd need to see the accurate behavior with respect to time. 

and yes, time to live is the quantity that dictates in game performance and is absolutely the one that matters and should be paid attention to. 

July 9, 2009 8:11:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's interesting... but quite disappointing. Basically, this simply adds to the proof that the QoT doesn't scale very well as the game goes on.

A percentile effect would eliminate the ability to send towers (and players) into the negative, but it would allow for better scaling as the game continues. Of course, the downside to such a change is that the ability would be less effective early on.

July 9, 2009 8:54:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting transitive,

itive" reply="5" id="2296464"]

you have 100 health and are taking 10 dps, your time to live is 10 seconds. if you go from 0% mit to 10% mit you are now taking 9 dps and your time to live went up to just a bit over 11 seconds, an increase in time to live of just about 10%

now assume you have have 50% mit so you're only taking 5 dps now and have a time to live of 20 seconds. how much more % mit do you need to increase your time to live by 10%? its much less than the 10% increase you needed at 0% mit. if you increased from 50% to 60% mit you'd only take 4 dps and would have time to live of 25 seconds, thats a whopping 25% increase in time to live from a 10% increase in %mit. you'd only need to increase your %mit from 50% to about 55% to increase your time to live by the 10% you got previously. 

Ah, I slowly start to understand why you always insist on squeezing everything down to ttl.

But anyway, ttl really wasn't the point of this exercise.

I'll have to do a ttl calculation myself, though, before I attempt to trash you for daring to criticize me.

By the way: If the new demigods get skills to lower armor even further then I predict division-by-zero crashes for constellations that reduce armor to exactly -2500.

July 10, 2009 3:19:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think another important thing to consider is actual % damage reduction, which is in the realm where transitive is.  I ran some numbers on this recently, so let me post them:

First of all, since it makes teh maths easy, let us pretend we are taking 100 damage, when at 0 mitigation. Consider what then is the value of 500 armor?

0 to 500 = 17% reduction (83.3 damage)

Mitigation goes up to a little less than 17%, and that is all we care about here.  But what happens when you get another 500 armor on top of that?

Well, at 500 armor we were taking 83.3 damage.
At 1000 armor we'll take 71.4. At a glance you may look at this as a change of 83.3 - 71.4 =  11.9%, but that isn't actually the right way of thinking about it. Instead you should look at what percentage of your initial damage you are taking after the increase in armor, that is , what is 71.4/83.3 = 85.7% of your original damage, so the reduction is 14.3% of your previous damage.

500 to 1000 = 14.3% (71.4 damage)

So yeah, this isn't horribly impressive right? It's still less isn't it?  This is true, but the math that goes into this means that the decrease in value of armor is not NEARLY as sharp as it looks.  For further proof, let us take a more bombastic example:

With 4000 armor, you would be taking 38.4 damage out of the original hundred.  Let us once again check to see what happens when we increase that by 500.

4500 armor = 35.7 damage.  Looks pretty small right?  Using the 'bad math' you would see your mitigation change from 61.6 to 64.3, and think 'who cares? 3% less damage isn't much'.

But once again you need to look at the actual percent of the initial damage your were taking, aka what is 35.7/38.4. It equals 93%, so the mitigation is still 7% more.  Over the course from change of 500 to 1000, all the way to 4000 to 4500 area, the value of 500 armor has been decreased only by about half. Not nearly as bad as the perceived change of decreasing to about one fifth.

For those who care, in order to maintain a constant value for armor, you actually have to start with an exponential function.  For example:

DF = DI*(.9^A)

DF = final damage

DI = initial Damage

A = Armor value

In the above scenario, each point of armor would decrease damage by exactly 10% compared to the value previous to it. DG uses a much finer grain on armor, so the .9 would be more like .009, but whatever.

July 10, 2009 10:42:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you could do Eulerian Analysis to convert the function DG uses into the type of recurrence relation you've listed Zechnophone (its a first order RR with constant coefficients). however, the function DG is coded for is a variation on a natural log function. interesting thing to note about it is that negative armor values do exist in the game so the armor value called "0" on the character sheet actually isn't the real zero, mathematically speaking, its more like the 1 on the independent axis. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time: