The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Swift Anklet is the best favor item.

Why do people get anything else?

By on July 9, 2009 4:24:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Barring really exploitative combos like five Heaven's Wrath to focus on a single demigod or something, I do not see why people get anything other than Swift Anklet as favor items.

Speed is probably the single most important stat in the game. With it, you are able to chase down enemy demigods, you are able to run away from enemy demigods, and you are able to move around the map faster which means less time traveling and more time doing more important things like capping flags and creeping.

Being able to chase down enemy demigods means you get more kills.

Being able to run away means you die less.

Less travel time means more experience and war score.

The most common alternative I keep seeing is Blood of the Fallen. How can anyone believe that an extra 800hp gives them a significant advantage? What is 800 hp if you can't chase down the enemy demigod to finish them off? Sure, you can probably survive the first 1v1 confrontation because you have more hp, and sure, your pretty monks can heal you for 80hp more, but then what? You are still slow, which means you can't do much of anything besides sitting there and taking blows.

+6 Karma | 72 Replies
July 9, 2009 4:30:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Amulet of teleportation allows you to move around faster on bigger maps and generals can use cloak of night to catch escaping demigods or flee.

July 9, 2009 4:32:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When I first started playing I thought speed was king too. I even made a post asking other people what they though about it.

In hindsight, prioritizing speed is usually not the best way to go. Nowadays we usually laugh when we see someone who obviously picked anklet and boots of speed as their starting items.

July 9, 2009 4:37:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anklet/Blood are both solid choices, but there are several other worthy favor items.

July 9, 2009 4:43:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's okay.  I don't mind if you run away from me every fight.

July 9, 2009 4:46:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JudeTepes,
Depends on the character whether this is a valid opinion.  Ranged vs melee, swift is almost always better so they can kite.  Kiting doesn't mean running away.

July 9, 2009 4:47:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I buy BotF and you buy Anklet, I'm going to have about 50% more HP than you at level 1. Fifty. Percent.

For melee DGs than need to get their hands dirty, you really have to go with BotF otherwise you'll just get bullied around in every fight you have with people that do have BotF, especially early game. Losing early games have a habit of turning into losing end games, if you hadn't noticed.

However, Anklet is good for harassing DGs like Reg or TB, as it allows them to stay out of melee range. 

July 9, 2009 4:57:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JudeTepes,

QFT

July 9, 2009 4:58:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love putting speed items on erebus and regulus. I was messing around with playing an erebus that used boots of speed, swift anklet, wand of speed, and journeyman treads and did nothing but run around the map spamming bite, mass charm, and having bishops (Those things waddle fast!). I think teams benifit from having one guy with a speedy build, the mobility helps for the non-lane flags and ganking.

That's okay. I don't mind if you run away from me every fight.

Keep in mind, you can't run either without some significant beatdown.

July 9, 2009 5:07:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Swift Anklet is a nice favor item, for sure.  

But more important than speed is efficient movement.  Beginners move inefficiently; they constantly over-extend or run too far back when retreating.  Swift Anklet helps them compensate for this inefficiency, which is why I would recommend Swift Anklet to any beginner.   

As you get better in the game, though, you learn to move more intelligently, and you realize you don't need a 15% speed boost to get kills or to flee.   Then some other favor items start to shine more.  It's not that you wouldn't appreciate a 15% speed boost- you do; you just don't need it as much as you used to.

July 9, 2009 5:09:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I constantly get stuck in this never ending love hate for anklet.  Buy anklet and get beaten heads up 1 on 1 vs blood user.  Don't buy anklet and constantly get run away from by anklet users in a winning fight.  It always feels like a grass is greener situation to me.  Plus anklet is seductive for flag capping, shopping, harassing.  It's so hard to resist it hehe.

July 9, 2009 5:26:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For Frost TB I love it, for other classes its nice and sometimes I get it sometimes I don't.  I don't always get it for Frost TB either, but I do like it best on him.

July 9, 2009 6:11:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's useful but nowhere near the best favor item.

July 9, 2009 6:26:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd say for a DG build that is effective at not taking damage, swift is a viable choice.

When it comes to having to fight it out directly, life is the best option.

July 9, 2009 7:20:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Amulet of teleportation allows you to move around faster on bigger maps and generals can use cloak of night to catch escaping demigods or flee.

The huge problem with amulet of teleportation is that it shares a cooldown with teleport scrolls, making it fairly useless overall. It just becomes a replacement for scrolls and allows you to save money (even then I prefer scrolls because their cooldown is shorter).

Cloak of night is nice, and I've played against one Erebus who used it in combination with bat swarm to cover large distances quickly, but besides that, the small distance you teleport with cloak of night is often times not enough to compensate for being a lot slower.

If I buy BotF and you buy Anklet, I'm going to have about 50% more HP than you at level 1. Fifty. Percent.

For melee DGs than need to get their hands dirty, you really have to go with BotF otherwise you'll just get bullied around in every fight you have with people that do have BotF, especially early game. Losing early games have a habit of turning into losing end games, if you hadn't noticed.

On the contrary, I would argue that the most important ability of melee characters is their ability to run away quickly due to the fact that being in melee makes it harder to open up the distance between you and the enemy should the need arise. This is why I find it extremely easy to ambush melee characters without Swift Anklet for instance - if they don't see me coming from a distance, then it is too late for them. Their 800hp does not save them, whereas extra speed almost certainly would.

Also having 50% more hp at level 1 is mostly meaningless. In my experience that difference closes down really quickly as other people catch up with regular items.

Think about it this way: it costs me only 1750 gold to get the +600hp +10hp/sec armor. Whereas it costs you 6750 gold to get Journeyman Treads. Considering this, why would you settle for BoTF? The advantage it offers will be gone very very soon.

But more important than speed is efficient movement.  Beginners move inefficiently; they constantly over-extend or run too far back when retreating.  Swift Anklet helps them compensate for this inefficiency, which is why I would recommend Swift Anklet to any beginner.   

As you get better in the game, though, you learn to move more intelligently, and you realize you don't need a 15% speed boost to get kills or to flee.   Then some other favor items start to shine more.  It's not that you wouldn't appreciate a 15% speed boost- you do; you just don't need it as much as you used to.

Flip side of the coin: swift anklet allows you to take risks you otherwise would not take (and get more kills), and get out of ambushes that you would otherwise have died in. It is not really a beginner vs. pro thing. It's just that +15% speed makes a huge difference and offers plenty of advantage throughout the entire game, whereas a gap of 800hp is pretty easy to close with cheap items.

July 9, 2009 7:35:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't use it and you will find a good favor item instead

July 9, 2009 7:38:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My movement speed has never been more then 6.0 in any game I've played.

July 9, 2009 8:41:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

replace the standard blood of the fallen + mid game boots of speed combo with swift anklets + unbreakable boots

+800 mana
+5% move speed
-200 hp
costs 500 extra gold

well worth it

July 9, 2009 9:24:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

On the contrary, I would argue that the most important ability of melee characters is their ability to run away quickly due to the fact that being in melee makes it harder to open up the distance between you and the enemy should the need arise. This is why I find it extremely easy to ambush melee characters without Swift Anklet for instance - if they don't see me coming from a distance, then it is too late for them. Their 800hp does not save them, whereas extra speed almost certainly would.

Also having 50% more hp at level 1 is mostly meaningless. In my experience that difference closes down really quickly as other people catch up with regular items.

Think about it this way: it costs me only 1750 gold to get the +600hp +10hp/sec armor. Whereas it costs you 6750 gold to get Journeyman Treads. Considering this, why would you settle for BoTF? The advantage it offers will be gone very very soon.

Health is very important for (obviously) staying alive during large engagements where you have to stand and fight either because there is a vital objective to seize or defend or because you are stunlocked or snared and don't have a choice in the matter. 800 health is a colossal amount of health and will always help you win battles or at least get out alive. As an added bonus, it adds to your overall health regeneration (priests heal a %). 

Having 50% more health at level 1 is most definitely NOT meaningless. It guarentees me that all else being equal, I will *always* win any engagement against an identical build sans Anklet. The Anklet user will be able to run, but the BotF user will not care, and will happily control the lane and farm the creeps while the Anklet user pouts in his tower.

Eventually you are correct that 800 HP becomes less impactful as people add Nimoth, Unbreakable, etc to their arsenals. You are even right that once you have enough money you can form vastly superior combinations through Anklet + Narmoths which comes out way ahead of BotF + Boots. However, you neglect the utterly gimped nature of the Anklet early on. Anklet's superior chasing power will never matter during that time because there is no way to force the BotF to run because you will lose every fight. By the time you have Anklet + Narmoths, you'll be so far behind that it wont matter.

All of this is assuming competent players btw. No one cares if you can force a noob BotF user to run, despite your Anklet.   

July 9, 2009 10:31:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Only two DG's can really get away with using the Anklet: Regulus and TB.

Pretty much everyone else is just allowing them to run away... which they will have to do due to not having as much damage capability or defensive capability.

July 9, 2009 10:47:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For generals, Cloak of Night is infinitely better for escaping ganks or finishing for a kill

July 9, 2009 11:38:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you stay near/under a tower, you can still farm exp, and will not be any weaker than the BotF user level wise.
Then when the time comes, [because Anklet + Narmoths which comes out way ahead of BotF + Boots] you can go in for the kill and they wont be getting away.

I used to swear by BotF, but i would always buy boots of speed.
Now I buy anklet, and replace boots of speed with unbreakable boots. The 5% extra move speed is priceless.
(Wand of speed later too ofc).

July 9, 2009 11:46:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One very feasible alternative to consider is the Wand of Speed trinket. The cooldown's not too bad, and always seems to be available when it's really needed. It's +25% movement rate, and even with Rook I can usually run down fleeing enemies. Of course, this has to be bought with precious gold in-game but adds other possibilities to consider for a favor item.

July 9, 2009 11:50:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anklet works only for Regulus. Other demigods are much better off with different items. Those "I-will-run-away" guys always lose.

July 10, 2009 1:20:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I use it on Queen and kite all the time.  I am able to deal with early game melee'rs quite effectively, and I much prefer to fight a melee'r that has blood than swift.  If they have swift my margin for error decreases dramatically.

I don't think swift is the best favor item, but i think it's one of the best for the ranged characters.  (All 3!!)

July 10, 2009 5:22:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dont forget that killing people isnt all there is to do on the battlefield. I think you maby underestimate the importance of speed, and also you are not suppose to die at lvl 1

All depends on how you are using them. Still i am not saying that they are "the best" but they are good and cheap if you are saving favor points for something else^^

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.