The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Regulus Harassment DPS Guide

By on July 7, 2009 1:31:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, this copy pasted from the wiki quite nicely.

Regulus Harassment DPS (Guide)

From Demigod Wiki

Regulus Harassment DPS (Guide)

by AmIAnnoyingNow (User:AmIAnnoyingNow)

This guide is for a DPS Regulus that focuses on harassing enemy Demigods and killing towers quickly. It remains a good threat throughout the game and will absolutely decimate late game. It excels in tactical play and slaying demigods, but is very weak in direct combat.

Introduction

This is a harassment build based on some serious DPS punishment for anyone that even remotely comes near you. This build focuses purely on DPS and the ability to move around quickly. Early on, it's a very aggressive build, people never seem to expect a Regulus to chase them or be a threat in the beginning, more kills for you. It also completely decimates structures if they leave you alone, which is good because players will start avoiding you.

This is probably the most aggressive Regulus you will ever see. He focuses heavily on maneuverability and tactics over defensive playing. This means he will die very quickly if you make a mistake. If you are new to the game, I'd suggest a mine/snipe build, as it is much harder to kill.

Rules of this build

1) Never, ever fight a player directly early on. If they hit you, you're failing. You will most likely be the squishiest player on your team early on. A couple hits and your in trouble. The best tactic is to potshot the other player every time they try to ignore you. And run to your tower whenever they chase you. Abuse movespeed to its fullest.

2) Always have a combat potion. People target squishy players, meaning you will be getting chased and hit a lot. Potions will almost always save you, and have a tendency to get the overconfident aggressors (Like me) killed. Late game start buying artifact potions. They're a bit expensive at 1000 gold, but they usually deny your opponents kills, meaning you get your money's worth.

3) Don't harass people with priests. You're wasting mana until the priests go down.

4) Do not sacrifice yourself for a kill. Living is more important, however there is one exception, kamikazi tactics 1v1 are ok as long as a demigod does not get the kill and you do, you will gain more out of it than your opponents. However, remember your opponents might be packing a potion, and then your screwed. It's almost always better to play it safe.

5) Do not 1v1 people faster than you. It doesn't work, no matter how bad you want to kill that accursed beast player. Harass them like crazy if you've got a tower to run to though, normally you can get a good distance before they catch you.

Gameplay

Early Game (Level 1-10)

Your starting item set always: 1 Scalemail, 1 Gauntlets of Brutality, 1 Combat Health Potion. Buy a Swift Anklet as your favor item.

Level 1 is always Angelic Fury, you tag faster, meaning you can harass more. +25 damage is nice too.

Go straight to a lane flag, the early cap is much more useful than something like the experience flag in cataract. Encourage teammates to prioritize the health flag, as players will be much more vulnerable to your tactics. Camp your lane and judge your opponent. Pretty much anything but a spit beast should be harassed. (Spit beast is more painful than you are, avoid them unless there's a general with priests with you.) Do not use a potion unless it is saving you from certain death. You don't want them to think you have one, because then they won't chase you into towers if you're low.

VARIATION: Get Snipe level 1, use it to leech assists for 500 gold. I don't like to use it because normally I'm the one chasing the guy anyways, but the extra money can really help if you're unable to harass properly. Never use it to harass, it's a waste of mana.

Level 2: Sniper's Scope. Increased range makes it less likely the enemy can hit you back, and your harassing is now more effective and less risky. You can also get about one more hit in before you enter tower range. Also, by now your enemy has most likely retreated due to your efforts, so you can poke their tower a little between waves. Avoid using Angelic Fury on them for now though.

At this point, gauge your opponents and their skill. If you are up against a fellow harasser, you want to get a Narmoth's Ring (4k) ASAP, and you will find yourself quite useless until then. If you are able to successfully push them away, get a Nature's Reckoning (1.5k) and Boots of Speed (1k). I find natures is highly underestimated, but it will get you kills on heroes because they never expect the sudden 250 armor ignoring damage. And later in the game it will trigger like crazy. Once you get all these items, save for a Mage Slayer.

Remember, always harass your opponents when they aren't chasing you, just make sure you don't get in melee range. Do not be afraid to chase people into towers if they run, But do not chase them into 8+ towers, 1-2 is usually survivable. Remember though, your life is more important than killing. Don't overextend if there's even a remote chance of another demigod attacking you. This takes a lot of trial and error (Very painful error) to know when to chase and when to let them go. If you really want to you can grab level 1 snipe for leeching assists and occasionally killing those that get away, but you most likely won't have mana to spare or the time to get it off.

(Note, if you skip Enhanced Attributes you'll find yourself mana starved, deactivate Angelic Fury whenever you're not harassing a demigod or tagging. Later on this won't be much of a problem.)

Level 3: Enhanced Attributes

Level 4: Angelic Fury

Level 5: Maim or Sniper's Scope 2

Level 6: Enhanced Attributes or Sniper's Scope 2 if you don't have it.

Level 7: Angelic Fury

Level 8: Sniper's Scope 3 (At this point, towers are less risky for getting ganked, and you'll drop them very fast.)

Level 9: Enhanced Attributes or Maim if you find demigods are outrunning you still.

Level 10: Angelic Fury

Mid to Endgame (Level 11-20)

Around level 11 you should be able to afford a Mage Slayer. This is about the time when you become a devastating force with 20% lifesteal and about 400-500 base damage arrows. Save for an Ashkandor at this point (Or giants). A Regulus with an Ashkandor can drop the citidel in approximately 20-30 seconds.

As for leveling, finish off Enhanced Attributes, Sniper's Scope, and Maim if you haven't yet, focus on attributes though, it helps more than one would think. Personally I like to get Vengeance at this point cause it's fun to use. But serious people might want to max Mark of the Betrayer at the end.

Items

Regulus is very squishy. Here's a couple item sets and orders to consider. You should always get a swift anklet, speed is key when harassing.

Item Builds

Help! Help! I'm being harassed!

(Focus on attribute bonuses as well, use something like this against spit beasts, torchbearers, or maybe even queens.)

(Always) At least 1 Combat Health Potion [275 or 1k]

(S) Scalemail > (4) Nimoth Chest Armor [1500 - 320 = 1180]

(S) Gauntlets of Brutality > (5) Mage Slayer [8k - 320 = 7680]

(1) Narmoth's Ring [4k]

(2) Boots of Speed [1k]

(3) Nature's Reckoning [1.5k] > (6) Ashkandor [18000 - 1200 = 16800]

Run in fear cowards!

(Default, if everything goes according to plan you should use this)

(S) Scalemail

(S) Gauntlets of Brutality > (4) Mage Slayer [8k - 320 = 7680]

(1) Nature's Reckoning [1.5k] > (5) Ashkandor [18000 - 1200 = 16800]

(2) Boots of Speed [1k]

(3) Narmoth's Ring [4k]

I'm Feeling Lucky. How bout you?

(Focuses on using crits and bonus damage to catch your opponents off guard. Note that crits stack, a triple crit will probably drop someone instantly, though it's quite rare. Very satisfying to see 4000-6000 damage crits though. (1% chance)

(S) Scalemail > (4) Duelist's Cuirass [3k - 320 = 2680]

(S) Gauntlets of Brutality > (5) Mage Slayer [8k - 320 = 7680]

(1) Nature's Reckoning [1.5k] > (7) Ashkandor [18000 - 1200 = 16800]

(2) Boots of Speed [1k] > (6) Slayer's Wraps [3.3k - 800 = 2500]

(3) Narmoth's Ring [4k]

Other useful situational items.

Wand of speed - good for getting around and escaping ganks.

Caplock - You'll frequently be capping deeper flags, can really help your War Score if used correctly.

Teleport Scroll - Usually good to have 1 for ganking or if you know your about to be collapsed on. Your damage will quickly turn the tides of battle.

Orb of Defiance - Nice hp and armor boost, good for denying teams that love to gank you in large fights.

Combat Mana Potion - useful if you keep getting mana starved.

Totem Of Revelation - Gives a sight range boost, which may occasionally save you, it only cost 50 gold anyways.

Wyrmskin Handguards - 8% chance to slow by 15% and give 60 bonus damage, can get you kills on the more skiddish people.

Various Notes To Keep In Mind

-This build can easily be switched to a mine dps hybrid build at level 5. If dps clearly isn't going to work. Go straight Mines from here, but don't use them at all until Mines 3, you'll catch em off guard and probably get a kill out of it.

-"Tagging" Is dealing 25% damage to a unit so you will get the gold for it.

-"Ganking" or "Collapsing" is suddenly grouping up on one hero, usually with an ambush.

-"Harassing" is attacking demigods as much as possible, but only when they cannot retaliate. Usually, you hit them once and start to run towards your tower.

-If you have a potion, you can usually 1v1 any demigod standing in your own tower from any hp amount. Having low hp can be used to lure demigods into overextending, and the potion will keep you alive long enough to drop him.

-Sedna is your best friend and worst enemy. You can usually chase demigods mostly to their spawn if a sedna is around. However, make sure she can heal you, If you die, it's your fault, don't depend on heals or you'll quickly find yourself dead.

-Focusing Maim is useful if your team is frequently being outrun, always hit chasing opponents to get them off teammates. Your dps is usually enough to get them to back off, but the slow can make a huge difference.

-You are a kill hoarder, if you're getting all the kills, get citidel upgrades for your team (Currency, Tower Regen, Experience, Giants) They are more likely to get ganked than the Regulus that stays as far away as possible.

-Support heroes hate spread out damage, try to get every demigod down to about half in longer fights to make it harder for heals and shield, then focus fire and change targets every time a buff is cast. DPS is very good at this and your range will disguise the preparation. Also people who think they are being focused will not pressure as much.

-Decimate towers every time you're left alone, it allows your team to pressure easier and makes it so you can chase further. Don't let yourself be ganked though, no matter how low the tower gets.

-The most difficult hero to kill with this build is Sedna early, and Erebus late. Sedna starts to run into problems when you outlifesteal her damage, and Erebus' teleport makes him almost impossible to chase. Unclean Beast is the most dangerous, as he is usually faster than you and has spit for early game which means you have to play defensively (And rush a narmoth). Later on he has some pretty nasty damage and you should exploit your range advantage to it's fullest.

+6 Karma | 30 Replies
July 7, 2009 8:07:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting. I haven't played regulus MP, but I have played against similar Regulus builds a lot, right down to the early health potion and high speed.

Playing as Rook, I've found that the build is annoying but usually cant contest flags early as long as you cower behind towers properly.  Also, Boulder Roll + the shoulder tower upgrades tends to hurt harassment regulus disproportionately.  What should a regulus do in this situation?

I've found him hard to counter as Oak though. Is there anything Oak does that you fear with Regulus?  I find hit and running with Penitence to work...eventually. But the Lifesteal regulus tend to just make the damage back up on creeps.

July 7, 2009 9:11:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

An Oak minion build can harrass the regulus right back DeadlyShoe. All you have to do is when you see them coming towards you is to back off a bit and let your minions hit him sooner or later he will have to retreat and since Oak is a General you can buy priest idols so harrassment shouldn't really bother you.

July 8, 2009 12:19:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Natures Reckoning + Angelic Fury tends to make short work of ghost/minion clouds until they have decent hp, but as an early oak your best bet is to use monks at the start. Monks slow the dps down enough that you can usually keep him off the flag.

If people hide in towers and such. Harass the tower instead. Nature's reckoning will occasionally proc for a nice 250 damage on both (Usually), and unless they have priests this adds up fast. With your range boost you can usually push them away from the tower even.

I can't say much for rook because I rarely play good ones, tower rooks cannot gain ground because you can take down the towers almost as fast as they build them, plus get one or two arrows on them every time they summon. Generally, you would skip the boots of speed (Rooks are slow ) and get Narmoth's Ring quickly. The 8% lifesteal + 20hps will usually heal up any hp you lose, as long as you don't let them in melee range.

July 8, 2009 12:24:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh yeah i forgot to say nice guide.

July 8, 2009 7:44:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice guide.  You did mention it, but don't foget that TB is dangerous to this build both early and late game.  Early game Circle of Fire/RoI will deny you harassment and TB will outdamage you cause of Ice Mark while very likely having more hp and also packing a potion.  From level 5 on (and especially after level 7) Fireball will become a huge threat due to it's low cost + range and your low hp.

The advices given in this guide would do a lot of good to many players. +1 to you

July 8, 2009 1:02:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im going to try this out tonight!
Thanks for sharing

July 9, 2009 4:49:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd switch boots of speed for vlemish and get wand instead after narmoths. Beeing able to stay in angelform makes lvl gain much faster

July 9, 2009 5:44:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice guide

July 9, 2009 10:01:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Narakin,
I'd switch boots of speed for vlemish and get wand instead after narmoths. Beeing able to stay in angelform makes lvl gain much faster

This build only has one mana skill, 40 mana per shot. I maybe run out of mana once or twice a match. Generally if you want to be careful, just shoot so you hit each creep once and deactivate it against towers till your about level 7-8. Mana items are unecessary. They way it ends up for me is the first time i head back to base for mana i buy Reckoning + Boots of speed, second time i buy narmoths, and the third time is usually right before i buy a mage slayer. At level 10 you'll have a natural regen of 6.07 meaning one extra shot 6.5 seconds. (14.5 seconds at level 1) Buying a scaled helm early in might be a good idea, but you'd be selling it shortly for narmoths.

Giving up boots means players can catch you while you harass, and if that happens, about 70% of the time you will be repelled or killed (Why erebus teleport is such a pain.)

Also, narmoths is the only health item in this build, and it gives you pretty insane staying power. The regen and lifesteal will quickly get you back up to full health as you harass or chase. People with fireball, spit, snipe, and other hit and runs won't be able to repel you indirectly.

July 9, 2009 10:55:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AmIAnnoyingNow,

Quoting Narakin, reply 7I'd switch boots of speed for vlemish and get wand instead after narmoths. Beeing able to stay in angelform makes lvl gain much faster
This build only has one mana skill, 40 mana per shot. I maybe run out of mana once or twice a match. Generally if you want to be careful, just shoot so you hit each creep once and deactivate it against towers till your about level 7-8. Mana items are unecessary. They way it ends up for me is the first time i head back to base for mana i buy Reckoning + Boots of speed, second time i buy narmoths, and the third time is usually right before i buy a mage slayer. At level 10 you'll have a natural regen of 6.07 meaning one extra shot 6.5 seconds. (14.5 seconds at level 1) Buying a scaled helm early in might be a good idea, but you'd be selling it shortly for narmoths.

Giving up boots means players can catch you while you harass, and if that happens, about 70% of the time you will be repelled or killed (Why erebus teleport is such a pain.)

Also, narmoths is the only health item in this build, and it gives you pretty insane staying power. The regen and lifesteal will quickly get you back up to full health as you harass or chase. People with fireball, spit, snipe, and other hit and runs won't be able to repel you indirectly.

I'll try it out some more. I like to use MOTB if there is a fast DG in the other team.. maybe manapots can cover this. But that's just endgame.

Awesome guide btw

July 9, 2009 11:17:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've never done a reg build without mines simply because, it's been my expereince that against a good player, they will simply keep their distance from you and you will never get a kill with this build. Yes you can be annoyin with tower harass, but all reg builds can do that. Is it your expereince that this build makes up for the lack of AoE Burst that mines gives in team brawls? I would think it would not.

Also, theres very little reason a regulus should be getting DPS kills within levels 1-4 without maim unless the player is just ignorant about how to deal with a regulus.

July 9, 2009 11:19:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this build is crap dont use it, trust me wings is a worthless move, costs too much per shot and the dmg isnt that great. get mines health and mana and u cant go wrong, also get snipe and sniper scope and mark  everything else is  so so at best. ya u dont use alot of mana using wings but ur also a really ez reg to get killed. with my build i use ALOT of mana but that just means alot of dmg i have NEVER been out dmg in a map. hey but what do i know im only the best reg check my record

July 9, 2009 11:36:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Snakeeyes,
this build is crap dont use it, trust me wings is a worthless move, costs too much get mines health and mana and u cant go wrong, also get snipe and sniper scope and mark  everything else is  so so at best. ya u dont use alot of mana but that just means you dont do deciend dmg. hey but what do i know im only the best reg check my record

Says the Premade Pantheon abuser. 

Quoting WickedBear,
Is it your expereince that this build makes up for the lack of AoE Burst that mines gives in team brawls? I would think it would not.

I'd say it definitely does. In my experience mines are only effective against uncoordinated pubs who bunch up, get multi-spiked, start freaking out about the painful burst damage, leading to them running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and unsurprisingly dying. The number of times that anyone from my team has died to mines this epoch = zero. In contrast, the DPS build kicks out way more overall damage which leads to won engagements, kill or not. Though usually with kill because hes so fast. 

July 9, 2009 11:48:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also note, there is a bug that will cap your attack speed at long ranges. So your range will get a few free shots on a melee Demigod, then Regulus will go beserk. Try not to attack towers at full range anymore as they'll fall slower.

...Any more details on this?  It sounds pretty crucial.  What is the cap?  Do you know why it happens (from game code) so that you're sure it's a bug, not intentional?  Is there a specific range at which his attack speed falls off a cliff, or does it gradually decline with range?

Attacking with huge damage out of range of your opponent seems like the primary drive behind this build, so I would think this is an alarming bug.

July 9, 2009 11:55:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LtCrafter,

Also note, there is a bug that will cap your attack speed at long ranges. So your range will get a few free shots on a melee Demigod, then Regulus will go beserk. Try not to attack towers at full range anymore as they'll fall slower.

...Any more details on this?  It sounds pretty crucial.  What is the cap?  Do you know why it happens (from game code) so that you're sure it's a bug, not intentional?  Is there a specific range at which his attack speed falls off a cliff, or does it gradually decline with range?

Attacking with huge damage out of range of your opponent seems like the primary drive behind this build, so I would think this is an alarming bug.

He explained it to me once, as I understand it Regulus is not allowed to have more than one arrow in the air at the same time. If you stack attack speed and range eventually the arrow flight time becomes a bottleneck. Of course if your target comes closer (which they often do, since they want to kill you) then flight time goes down and your overall dps goes back up towards its true level. 

July 9, 2009 1:04:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LtCrafter,

I tested it yesterday in single player actually, either it was fixed or it was happening for a different reason (Sim lag probably). Though i did find out there's a cap on attack speed, but in order to get that high you need about 3-4 artifacts. .

The low survivability of this build is made up by the fact that most demigods will never get into autoattack range on you. (Except erebus.) In a team fight, I kite and exploit range to force them on one of the melee heroes. Angelic fury will AoE chasing melee heroes. Any attempts at my demi are hindered by the fact they have to catch me with another demi beating on them the entire time.

they will simply keep their distance from you and you will never get a kill with this build.

That's the idea, the only way to not be in range is to hide behind towers (Not in them), and towers do not last long if you don't chase him away. If you chase him, you'll eventually get hit more and chased back behind the tower since you can't chase him through his own towers. The only way to force him away is to damage him, meaning you have to catch him .

Is it your expereince that this build makes up for the lack of AoE Burst that mines gives in team brawls? I would think it would not.

I will admit most of the early kills i get are because people underestimate the dps chase (Usually 900-1000 damage at level 1, 2000-4000 at level 10 based on armor). But there isn't much you can do to stop him from poking you besides using harassing skills like spit and fireball. If you chase him, he runs (faster usually), if you stop chasing he follows arrow flying. The only way to really kill him is to get him and keep him in autoattack range, which is really hard to do without some sort of teleport or ambush.

The AoE burst of mines is the approximately the same range of angelic fury's AoE. Plus it's a pretty obvious attack and where the mines are going to go can usually be determined by the direction he faces and the current situation. The second a reg starts casting i start moving away at a different angle to minimize the damage. Also remember that my DPS is AoE with normal attack, most situations where the AoE of 3 mines would fully hit two DG's, angelic fury would have already hit them twice from a safe distance.

The reason I prefer dps over mines is that dps has growth throughout the game where mines get worse as other DG's get better. This reg, at level ten is threatening, if he manages to get an ash he starts critting for about 1250-1500 on even armor stacking demigods. And anyone with that much armor will probably not be able to get past his lifesteal. Of course, I rarely play this build past level 13, and it is possible to actually get mines within the build if you want/need them.

July 9, 2009 1:14:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I used this build in a few matches and I really like it but when you get up in the 18+ and do not have ashkandor and mage slayer, you will not be doing much damage.. you really depend on fast attacks and above average damage.

So make sure you do your best to keep your income high and dont waste it on stupid things, avoid buying extra potions and teleport scrolls.. once in awhile its good to keep 1 or two on you but do your best to kite the enemy since you have high speed and slowing effects..

Goodluck!

Im going to be using this build for a bit and finding out which ways I like to use it.

Thanks again,

Rade

July 9, 2009 1:32:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

18+ without mage or ash? ... What games are you playing in? I usually get a mage at 10! This build is based on a 3v3 setting on cataract/prison. I'm not sure how well it fairs elsewhere. The potions should be used only to deny kills, you usually only need one or two for a game. As long as it denies a kill, you're denying 1000+ gold to your opponents, so it's always worth it. Plus it's very satisfying to see the dissappointed reactions of your opponents .

July 9, 2009 1:50:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The low survivability of this build is made up by the fact that most demigods will never get into autoattack range on you. (Except erebus.) In a team fight, I kite and exploit range to force them on one of the melee heroes. Angelic fury will AoE chasing melee heroes. Any attempts at my demi are hindered by the fact they have to catch me with another demi beating on them the entire time.

This also means you can't share damage with your team if needed, but I don't think any regulus builds are tanks, and if they're within a melee swing of me, a regulus ussualy dies.

I will admit most of the early kills i get are because people underestimate the dps chase (Usually 900-1000 damage at level 1, 2000-4000 at level 10 based on armor). But there isn't much you can do to stop him from poking you besides using harassing skills like spit and fireball. If you chase him, he runs (faster usually), if you stop chasing he follows arrow flying. The only way to really kill him is to get him and keep him in autoattack range, which is really hard to do without some sort of teleport or ambush.

That's the biggest problem I see with this build when being non snipe centric is, you have no way to get kills against skilled players who know how winged regulus is played. You can only annoy. I'm not saying it's bad, because you probably wont die. Against sedna & beast, you could probably effectively slow them down solo.

The reason I prefer dps over mines is that dps has growth throughout the game where mines get worse as other DG's get better. This reg, at level ten is threatening, if he manages to get an ash he starts critting for about 1250-1500 on even armor stacking demigods. And anyone with that much armor will probably not be able to get past his lifesteal. Of course, I rarely play this build past level 13, and it is possible to actually get mines within the build if you want/need them.

The second issue I have with this build is the assumption that the game is going to go to the late game for it to truly shine. Which if that was the case, an early mine start would would work just as well, as you can get fury later when it has more impact. It's rare i've played a game to even the 10's lately.. but my opponents all suck, so my preceptions I admit could be WAY off.

18+ without mage or ash? ... What games are you playing in? I usually get a mage at 10! This build is based on a 3v3 setting on cataract/prison. I'm not sure how well it fairs elsewhere. The potions should be used only to deny kills, you usually only need one or two for a game. As long as it denies a kill, you're denying 1000+ gold to your opponents, so it's always worth it. Plus it's very satisfying to see the dissappointed reactions of your opponents .

I was kinda shocked when I read this, by 10 we ussualy have giants at least. There would be no money for a slayer and a narmoth. My primary map is Levi though, so that could have a huge impact.

July 9, 2009 2:14:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting WickedBear,
This also means you can't share damage with your team if needed, but I don't think any regulus builds are tanks, and if they're within a melee swing of me, a regulus ussualy dies.

Every build has limitations, it was readily admitted that if you get caught alone in melee range with a UB, you'll probably die. There's nothing to say other than you should try to avoid letting that happen. 

That's the biggest problem I see with this build when being non snipe centric is, you have no way to get kills against skilled players who know how winged regulus is played. You can only annoy. I'm not saying it's bad, because you probably wont die. Against sedna & beast, you could probably effectively slow them down solo.

I don't understand this objection. There's no build in the game that has guaranteed or even likely kills early on, unless the opponent is stupid or reckless. Not Winged Reg, Snipe Reg, UB, Sedna, nobody. 

The second issue I have with this build is the assumption that the game is going to go to the late game for it to truly shine. Which if that was the case, an early mine start would would work just as well, as you can get fury later when it has more impact. It's rare i've played a game to even the 10's lately.. but my opponents all suck, so my preceptions I admit could be WAY off.

But its not like the build is weak early game, it just happens to have a monster late game. Still, I'd say against another good team the game probably will go long. 

I was kinda shocked when I read this, by 10 we ussualy have giants at least. There would be no money for a slayer and a narmoth. My primary map is Levi though, so that could have a huge impact.

Uh, on Cataract Giants don't come until 13-14, unless you utterly dominate war rank. 

July 9, 2009 2:26:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
It's rare i've played a game to even the 10's lately.. but my opponents all suck, so my preceptions I admit could be WAY off.
Well duh, of course your games are different from his. You only pub stomp.
July 9, 2009 2:27:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every build has limitations, it was readily admitted that if you get caught alone in melee range with a UB, you'll probably die. There's nothing to say other than you should try to avoid letting that happen. 

I'm not saying it doesn't, and was claiming its a natural problem with any reg build, just this one has less tricks up its sleeve.

I don't understand this objection. There's no build in the game that has guaranteed or even likely kills early on, unless the opponent is stupid or reckless. Not Winged Reg, Snipe Reg, UB, Sedna, nobody. 

Kill's should always be likely if both teams are good. I'm not one to believe that the best players are incapable of getting kills on other great players. It wasn't that case in DOTA, and I believe this game will be that way soon as well. Early on kills are unlikely yes, but they should be happening sometimes against good players. What i'm trying to say is, this build offers no good cross-map support early on for some good kills. Good players die less, but they still die. Because all humans aren't perfect.

One of mine and char's primary job's is to make them engage us, or they will never get a flag. A regulus of this build would have a very tough time defending against ambushes on flags that he has to take that suprise mine traps could likely buy him time or get the upper hand.

But its not like the build is weak early game, it just happens to have a monster late game. Still, I'd say against another good team the game probably will go long.

Not nearly as strong as a snipe build for cross-map support, and level 7 mines are powerful.

Uh, on Cataract Giants don't come until 13-14, unless you utterly dominate war rank. 

It's been 30+ games since i've played cataract, forgive me. I've gotten very used to the fast-paced levi.

July 9, 2009 2:31:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well duh, of course your games are different from his. You only pub stomp.

You're an idiot. Go back to your pantheon games please, the big boys are talking now.
July 9, 2009 2:52:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting WickedBear,
Kill's should always be likely if both teams are good. I'm not one to believe that the best players are incapable of getting kills on other great players. It wasn't that case in DOTA, and I believe this game will be that way soon as well. Early on kills are unlikely yes, but they should be happening sometimes against good players. What i'm trying to say is, this build offers no good cross-map support early on for some good kills. Good players die less, but they still die. Because all humans aren't perfect.

One of mine and char's primary job's is to make them engage us, or they will never get a flag. A regulus of this build would have a very tough time defending against ambushes on flags that he has to take that suprise mine traps could likely buy him time or get the upper hand.

Thats not my experience at all. Against weaker enemies, you can kill them because they are stupid or ignorant about the abilities and limitations of the DGs involved in any particular battle. Against stronger enemies, who are not ignorant, they do not wander out to duel people they know they can't beat, don't let themselves fight 2v1, and in general don't do anything stupid that would get themselves killed or force themselves off the field. If that means they can't push you off a particular flag at that particular moment in time: so be it. The only way to kill those enemies early game is if they become reckless because of momentary greed or misjudgment, which is rare. 

Once you reach the midgame multi-DG clashes then things have a decent chance of dying, but thats the arena where this Reg shines. I don't know, maybe this is something that can only be explained by watching how it interacts with the rest of the team in our premade. Its not like you can use it in just any setting and expect to do well.  

Not nearly as strong as a snipe build for cross-map support, and level 7 mines are powerful.

I think thats Leviathan talking. The easy cross-lane sniping and mana regen flags make that a sniper's paradise. In my experience (mostly Cataract), snipe is doesn't reach lane to lane and often gets healed up for free by priest minions. Mines are ok but can never push you out of a lane. He chucks them, you trigger them, you get healed for free by your priest minions, and Reg cries. Obviously from out-of-lane a DPS reg offers no support, but in lane he is far superior. 

July 9, 2009 3:06:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats not my experience at all. Against weaker enemies, you can kill them because they are stupid or ignorant about the abilities and limitations of the DGs involved in any particular battle. Against stronger enemies, who are not ignorant, they do not wander out to duel people they know they can't beat, don't let themselves fight 2v1, and in general don't do anything stupid that would get themselves killed or force themselves off the field. If that means they can't push you off a particular flag at that particular moment in time: so be it. The only way to kill those enemies early game is if they become reckless because of momentary greed or misjudgment, which is rare

I seem to think that is the common theme among most teams atm, but I believe it's mostly because of the games infancy. I could be wrong about this, but im fairly sure the more the level of play the step up, aggression over flag control is going to get much more intense. It's been my expereince that the more safe aggression you can give your opponent, the more likely you are to come out ontop of the warscore, and dps regulus I feel doesn't fit in well as his mines give him a better... foothold? on land.

I think thats Leviathan talking. The easy cross-lane sniping and mana regen flags make that a sniper's paradise. In my experience (mostly Cataract), snipe is doesn't reach lane to lane and often gets healed up for free by priest minions. Mines are ok but can never push you out of a lane. He chucks them, you trigger them, you get healed for free by your priest minions, and Reg cries. Obviously from out-of-lane a DPS reg offers no support, but in lane he is far superior. 

100% in agreeance here, this may be a far superior build for a map like cataract. However, I still think mines have more value than they're given, especially if the enemy team has no minions just the threat of them being on the ground gives you leverage you don't have otherwise for being aggresive for flags.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000641   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.