The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Statistics

By on July 7, 2009 5:50:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

Spooky__

Join Date 10/2008
+74

UPDATE - new location: http://dgstats.spikx.net/

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As already mentioned in this thread, I made a system to track the data provided by opengames.asp for Demigod, Similar to the GPGnet Statistics from NowakPL. The statistics are available under http://dgstats.insidesupcom.de/.

They aren't quite as nice as the rrdtool created graphs from NowakPL, but they should do the job. Any suggestions and problem reports are welcome!

Thanks to Phalynx for providing the webspace .

Notes:

• Since the margin between current games/open games and players online is so big, I multiplied the numbers by 10, so that they can still be displayed in one graph.
  • Times are GMT+1, but I will probably provide a functionality to set your own GMT offset via URL parameters in the future (e.g. http://dgstats.insidesupcom.de/?gmt=-8).
  • Right now I have no idea how the system will behave, once the clock is set back one hour again...
  • The last graph that is not displayed yet, is the the yearly graph. It will be displayed once enough data has been acquired.
  • The data from before Tuesday 7. Jul, 00:00 was the testing data which was not fetched continuously, in case anyone wonders about the irregularities.
Locked Post 40 Replies +8
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 7, 2009 6:05:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

July 7, 2009 6:15:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You the one that made supcomdb.com as well?

Anyway Awesome work!

Karma for you.

July 7, 2009 6:16:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sevenix,
You the one that made supcomdb.com as well?
No, that one was made by NowakPL (he is not around anymore though, at least currently).

July 7, 2009 6:19:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good job Spooky!

July 7, 2009 6:32:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice, maybe SD can get some inspiration from you on how to present data

July 7, 2009 6:42:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awsum work!! I have made the Demigod Facebook App and its good to see other developers making Demigod stuff.

Just wondering how you update your data, do you access a url whenever you remember or is it on a timer?

Anyway  !

July 7, 2009 7:15:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MannanMackie,
Just wondering how you update your data, do you access a url whenever you remember or is it on a timer?

Anyway  !
A cronjob is executing another php script, which opens and parses the opengames.asp site, extracts the information and saves it into a database. This script is currently run every 60 seconds.

Yeah, already saw your Facebook application . Haven't installed it yet on my facebook page though.

July 30, 2009 10:16:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have also included a "Demigod players in games" graph on the page which shows the distribution of players in games among custom games, pantheon games and skirmish games. I haven't divided the data before so we will have to wait for new data to arrive, to see anything useful.

July 30, 2009 10:36:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how is it possible that there are so many players online but only so few games open/playing?

July 30, 2009 10:45:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No one knows.

July 30, 2009 10:48:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It isnt really possible.  I've always assumed that there is some kind of bug going on because the numbers simply dont make sense.

The numbers are downward trending pretty noticably.  I'd say a 20%+ drop in players this month on average.  Hopefully 1.2 and the demo will reverse this.

July 30, 2009 10:50:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe it counts the people that are signed into their forum accounts

July 30, 2009 11:16:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good idea, that makes sense.

July 30, 2009 11:28:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The developers denied that. They were stating that a player counts as online if they are logged in via Demigod and respond to a ping every 30 seconds.

August 3, 2009 6:47:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I integrated a line to show when the demo was released. There is definitely an increase in players etc. after the release.

August 3, 2009 11:38:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I finally got around to checking this out.  Really good stat display here, Spooky.  Thanks for the taking the time. 

for you!

August 16, 2009 6:22:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Problem Report :

I m watching these stats every day, because they are the best source to follow DGs involvement.

but during last days, there are a lot of massive holes ! 1-2 per day, each one for 2-10 hours

unfortunately these holes also appear during the important rush-hours, 2200-2400 and 0200-0600 (euro time), where most players are ingame, so i was not able to follow the stats involvement last week....

can u pls fix this !

August 16, 2009 11:31:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, I am aware of this issue . Unfortunately the Cronjob of Phalynx' webserver dies from time to time, for yet unknown reasons and it takes some time until he can fix it. I also configured a server at home to trigger the script that grabs the information from the opengames.asp to overcome such downtimes. However, my server is down every day from 03:00 am to 07:00 am (to save power), so if the local Cronjob dies, my "backup cron" will not cover the whole day either. This weekend I had some issues myself at home (router + server), so my "backup cron" was down a lot more times than usual.

August 17, 2009 2:07:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
Yes, I am aware of this issue . Unfortunately the Cronjob of Phalynx' webserver dies from time to time, for yet unknown reasons and it takes some time until he can fix it. I also configured a server at home to trigger the script that grabs the information from the opengames.asp to overcome such downtimes. However, my server is down every day from 03:00 am to 07:00 am (to save power), so if the local Cronjob dies, my "backup cron" will not cover the whole day either. This weekend I had some issues myself at home (router + server), so my "backup cron" was down a lot more times than usual.

I run my server 24 hours a day if you want an addition source of information.  I can have it email you the results daily or something.

August 17, 2009 2:51:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
The developers denied that. They were stating that a player counts as online if they are logged in via Demigod and respond to a ping every 30 seconds.

Sounds like it counts players who opened the game via impulse but are playing SP...

August 24, 2009 6:20:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ugh, what happened to the opengames.asp over the weekend? It reported 16000 players online at one point.

February 11, 2010 10:23:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I recently changed the appearance of the Pantheon queue graph. It should be easier to compare the values now.

June 8, 2010 7:14:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also added SupCom2 player statistics to the site.

June 8, 2010 1:57:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, at one point 3 whole people were queued in the pantheon. 

Could you please remove the 'players online' category since it's totally broken and reports people simply on impulse who have demigod?  It's pretty much rendering all of the graphs useless since there are hundreds and hundreds of people not playing demigod who own it but only single digit amount of people who really are and I can't even see how many that is.

June 8, 2010 2:07:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol magnus, almost as good as the entire 15 people in game or lobby last night. FIFTEEN.  THAT'S IT. A 3v3, a 2v2, and 1 3v3 that was 5/6.  It was ridiculous.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time: