The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Learning your interrupts

By on July 5, 2009 3:27:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im making this guide because so many people miss the point of interrupting.

It is one of the most important skills in the game, so here is some information on it.

What spells have interrupting capabilities?

Torch Bearer: Frost Nova, Deep Freeze

Unclean Beast: Foul Grasp

Regulus: Dead Eye(doesnt really count, but added anyway)

Rook: Boulder Roll

Oak: Pentinence

QoT: N/A

Sedna: Pounce, silence

Lord Erebus: Mass charm

Conclusion: anything with a stun is an interrupt.

What spells can i interrupt?

You have to LOOK for their animations of them casting the spell. some are more difficult to see than others.

I have not listed several spells because they are "instant" or 0.3 sec cast or lower, or others which i dont think is important (summon shamblers, horn of yeti, uproot).

Against Torch Bearer:

Fireball, spins his staff in a forward direction

Frost Nova, ice surges towards his feet

Fire Nova, rises quickly into the air whilst in flames

Circle of Fire, spins his staff in an anticlockwise direction around his body(like hes trying to be a helicopter)

Against Unclean Beast:

Foul Grasp, obvious

Any ministun will stop this channeling effect from working.

Against Regulus:

Mines, his arm coils underneath his bow and throws them.

Snipe, obvious

Against Rook:

Hammer Slam, obvious

Structural transfer, obvious, any ministun will stop this channeling effect from working

Boulder Roll, his left arm touches the ground, and he kneels down

Against Oak:

Surge of Faith, has a clear shield around him when casting

Against QoT:

Interrupting her spells are extremely difficult. Personally i cannot tell when she is casting.

Ground Spikes,

Spike Wave,

Against Sedna:

Heal, sila just crouches, the easiest way to interrupt this spell is when they are running away and they stop quickly to heal.

Against Lord Erebus:

Mass Charm, obvious

Item and teleport usage:

All items (except for teleport/universal gadget) have the same animation! all demigods do a scratching movement with their hands.

Flag lock item:

Potions:

When using a potion, you will not turn around at all. These same animations are used for all items (except teleport/universal gadget).

A teleport:

It will make you face the location you are going to teleport to.

Note, this same animation is used for the favor item Amulet of Teleportation.

A universal gadget:

When using a universal gadget, they will turn and face the location nearest to where you clicked on yourself, or face the demigod you are about to cast it on.

Readying yourself for interrupting:

What i normally do is chase with auto attack and have my interrupting spell(e.g. pounce) ready so all i have to do is left click on my target. Like below(this is just an example of how to do it):

Unfortunately its abit hard to see my mouse hovering over QoT with my pounce ready.

Other Finer Points to Interrupting:

If you use an interrupt on a target who is ALREADY stunned, it will end the stun. if your team mate foul grasps an enemy, a mini-stun/shield from either allied or enemy sides will cancel the channeling.

The only time you cause the cool down timer to 'tick off' is when you actually interrupt the spell in mid cast.(thanks to zechnophobe)

If they are still moving into position to use an ability, or hadn't started casting yet, you will simply prevent them from casting it until the end of the stun.The command will still be queued up however,  so they will try to do the ability immediately after the stun wears off. (thanks to zechnophobe)

Think! Count in your head, if you know a spells cooldown time, they are probably going to be using it as soon as the cooldown timer finishes.(thanks to Itchydustbin)

You can interrupt potions, teleport scrolls and favor items.

Deathbringer can be used as an interrupt.

Dont always use your interrupt for damage, stopping a teleport/potion can be more effective than just using it for damage.

In Conclusion

I hope you learnt abit about interrupting. if there is anything you would like to add just let me know and ill put it up here.

Make sure you interrupt!

+24 Karma | 22 Replies
July 5, 2009 4:04:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Excellent points.

A few other things that should be noted:  If you use an interrupt (True interrupt, pounce, penitence, deep freeze) on a target who is ALREADY stunned, it will end the stun.  So if beast grabs someone, and you penitence the target, they will be free. Save your pounces/penitence until after they are out of the stun!

The only time you cause the cool down timer to 'tick off' is when you actually interrupt the spell in mid cast (The progress bar appeared) If they are still moving into position to use an ability, or hadn't started casting yet, you will simply prevent them from casting it until the end of the stun. The command will still be queued up however,  so they will try to do the ability immediately after the stun wears off.

July 5, 2009 4:55:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You don't mention Sedna's Silence as an interupt. Did you forget or doesn't it interrupt?

July 5, 2009 5:11:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You don't mention Sedna's Silence as an interupt. Did you forget or doesn't it interrupt?

oops

July 5, 2009 7:06:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every player should know this. Nicely done.

July 5, 2009 12:31:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice topic. Nice job

July 5, 2009 12:47:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe you should add the key potion ones - differences between there animations for things like pots, mana pots, universal, flag lock, teleport

July 5, 2009 12:52:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great guide, but you didn't mention counting the cooldown on skills like heal, if you're hurting a Sedna a lot she is going to be using heal whenever it comes back up. And a Rook is likely going to roll/slam you as soon as boulder comes up again.

July 5, 2009 2:50:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

very good post. 

i'd like to add a bit about interrupting item activations, which is also very important and pretty easy to do.

Teleport Scrolls - blue swirly beneath their feet.

Activated Special Effects Items - they rub their hands together for a few seconds while charging up.

Potions - sometimes you'll see hand rubbing, but not always, conspicuous standing still and not auto-attacking though

July 5, 2009 9:59:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe you should add the key potion ones - differences between there animations for things like pots, mana pots, universal, flag lock, teleport

Great guide, but you didn't mention counting the cooldown on skills like heal, if you're hurting a Sedna a lot she is going to be using heal whenever it comes back up. And a Rook is likely going to roll/slam you as soon as boulder comes up again.

Teleport Scrolls - blue swirly beneath their feet.

Activated Special Effects Items - they rub their hands together for a few seconds while charging up.

Potions - sometimes you'll see hand rubbing, but not always, conspicuous standing still and not auto-attacking though

added

September 18, 2009 8:29:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump.

seriously ppl LEARN YOUR INTERRUPTS.

September 19, 2009 12:31:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is silence really an interrupt? I've used it and it only prevents the usage of abilities. If an ability is already being cast, it won't interrupt it.

September 19, 2009 2:34:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you get silenced while casting abilities, animation continue to play but nothing happens at end. This is easier to see with Hammer Slam or Surge of Faith. I'm not sure if ability gets cooldown or not.

September 19, 2009 2:52:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So Rook will pretend to hammerslam, but nothing will happen?

September 19, 2009 3:19:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So Rook will pretend to hammerslam, but nothing will happen?

you will see the animation but no damage will be done at all.

September 19, 2009 3:26:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. It's better than pounce, then.

September 19, 2009 3:14:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Boulder has a 0.4 cast, it's very hard to interupt. Human reaction time is like 0.2-0.25... it's almost impossible.
Heal is also NOT so easy to interupt.

The others can be done.

September 19, 2009 6:30:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find heal next to impossible to interrupt....

September 19, 2009 7:32:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The main problem is the game runs at 350 ms lag. Add in a reaction time of .1 second and a cast time of .1 second, and you won't be able to interrupt much at all. It's mostly guesswork, but it can be successfully done.

September 19, 2009 7:48:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What is your ingame name actr. is it the same?

September 19, 2009 8:03:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes.

September 19, 2009 8:08:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stacked, any tips on using a silence build? I know it is a specialty of yours. Ive been wanting to try it but dont know how to use it.

September 19, 2009 8:29:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Epiphenomenon,
Stacked, any tips on using a silence build? I know it is a specialty of yours. Ive been wanting to try it but dont know how to use it.

tbh i havent played a silence build in a long time and it requires alot more team coordination.

u use silence to either initiate a fight, or for interrupting. it just comes from practise mostly. but when you are in team fights it is important to get the silence over atleast 2 players, otherwise it is a big waste.

i would use diamond pendant favor item, get full lvl of magnificent presence, full inner grace and full lvl silence, especially on maps with -15% cooldowns.

obv. get priests at start, mana pot, totem of revelation. save for plenor and vlemish, stack hp if u want or save for journeymans treads, noone will catch u. though i do suggest hp stacking if they can chain stun.

other parts of the build (abilities/items) are entirely up 2 u. mix and match between heals and pounce, or go one or the other.

if you do get healing i would suggest carrying a health pot so u dont waste mana healing urself.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.