The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A Little Help...

A Sea of Graphics Cards. Which to Catch?

By on June 25, 2009 9:17:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah that's right. I have another question. Sorry, but you guys are helpful. STOP BEING SO HELPFUL!

Anyway, my PC's graphics card asploded.
Now I'm looking for a new one.
What does it all mean? The nVidia website is heavy on technobabble and low on explanation. I'm leaning toward the GeForce 8800 GT, but I really have no idea how to find out if it will even be capatible with my PC!

Anyone know resources to help narrow down graphics cards, or instruct on how to find capatible ones? I am utterly lost, and frankly after poring through the nVidia website, Wikipedia, PCWorld and other sites, I'm lost.

Help is very much appreciated. I'm sick of 680x480 pixel screen and crappy graphics for everything. It treats me like I'm blind.

My computer's a HP Media Center m7060n Desktop PC, in case it helps. Yeah, it's old...

Problem is now: Solved

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

+13 Karma | 28 Replies
June 25, 2009 9:20:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have the 8800GT and there has been/ are driver issues with it. I suggest avoiding it but others have had no problem.

June 25, 2009 9:24:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What kind of slot do you have, AGP or PCI? If it's PCI, what version?

June 25, 2009 10:39:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

HP's website says your model has 1 PCI slot available.

Here's a couple for you to choose from...     

Keep in mind, PCI is a old technology and they have not been making allot of new cards for it

Lastly per HP, you can only fit a PCI card. You can not fit a PCI Express.

June 25, 2009 10:49:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have the nVidia 9400 GT PCIE with 1GB ram and it works very well on my HP Vista rig. Vista Home Premium, 4 GB RAM, 2.70GHZ AMD Processor.

June 25, 2009 10:56:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have no idea of what Graphics card i have.  lol.

June 25, 2009 10:57:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, geez carguy. These are great.

I'll definitely look into these. They're both in my price range, nVidia, and at a cursory inspection will work with my computer.

Thanks, that was a lot of help!

June 25, 2009 11:24:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't get it from Tiger Direct. Newegg is much cheaper.

June 25, 2009 11:29:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't get it from Tiger Direct. Newegg is much cheaper.

Newegg is the way to go. They are reputable and efficient.

Hey Carguy, what happened to your avatar? I liked the other car!

I have the nVidia 9400 GT PCIE with 1GB ram and it works very well on my HP Vista rig.

Hey Jim, she has a PCI, not a PCIE.

June 26, 2009 7:58:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm afraid you should think of getting an entirely new machine :

Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (one available)
DIMM Four (two available)
June 26, 2009 11:07:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Carguy, what happened to your avatar? I liked the other car!

Doc created this one for me when I made master and it would be an insult not to run it, at least for a while.

I do miss the old one...as much as I appreciate that Doc put alot of work into it, I'll probably change it back soon. I'm more of a hot rodder than a Rolls kind of guy.

June 26, 2009 11:48:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm more of a hot rodder than a Rolls kind of guy.

That being the case, I could make you a real nice one!

June 26, 2009 1:50:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That being the case, I could make you a real nice one!

Go for it.

June 27, 2009 10:48:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@kona and mirsguy, I'm actually going to buy it through Bestbuy. I've had nothing but good experiences with Bestbuy, and the store near me is having a sale on graphics cards.

@aviyur: I'm hesitant to get a new computer. Mine has been running fine for 4-5 years, no problems. I updated the RAM, and soon I'll update the graphics card. It's a fine computer in fine condition.

June 27, 2009 4:10:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bestbuy is so overly expensive though...

June 27, 2009 6:36:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Jim, she has a PCI, not a PCIE.

Oopsie! 

June 27, 2009 7:13:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

tigerdirect is just fine to purchase from. every company you buy from has detractors who say they're horrible to deal with or their prices are too high. i buy a LOT of parts online and always search for the best price between tigerdirect, newegg, performace-pcs, zipzoomfly, geeks, frozenpc, and a couple other sites. i know people have had issues tigerdirect but others have had issues with newegg or any other site. if i'm in a hurry to get the part, i buy from tigerdirect. i'm in indiana and they're in illinois. therefore, the parts are delivered the next day and there's no "next day delivery" charge included. if i'm in a real big hurry, i drive to the frys store in indy. their prices are usually higher than any online estore, though. heck, sometimes, frys won't even match their own online prices. plus, there's always sales tax to pay when buying at the frys store. although, frys is the ONLY place i go for power supply sleeving material. their 'generic' brand of sleeving is fabulous and very inexpensive!

June 27, 2009 7:21:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank goodness Oregon has no sales tax. Wew have a Fry's store here as well.

June 27, 2009 11:19:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm actually going to buy it through Bestbuy.
Bestbuy is so overly expensive though...

Yeah, but everyone has their reasons for doing business with whom they do. Price isn't always everything.

Good on ya, Cadalancea!

June 28, 2009 12:20:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yep, thanks Mirsguy. I'll take exceptional customer service even if I pay a bit extra.

Plus, Bestbuy has the price policy, where you can show em the same product at a different store if it's a lower price, and they'll match it. Saved me ten bucks once.

July 4, 2009 9:01:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, super. I thought this was resolved, but I guess not.

Today I purchased a GeForce 9400 GT graphics card. It matched all my system specs, and my input type. When I actually went to install it, i realized a problem. The input pins were flipped. I can't plug it into my computer, because the outputs would be left inside the CPU. I can't understand it. There's no way to flip the card and put it in, like I did with my old graphics card. It says it's PCI compatible, and my computer has a PCI port, so whats going on?

Note: I noticed that on the box it says it's PCI Express x16. This was not listed online or on the Nvidia website. Is this the problem? If so, how do I know what PCI port to look for, or has the entire computer world changed the way PCI ports work since I got this computer 4-5 years ago.

July 4, 2009 9:07:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Anyway, my PC's graphics card asploded.

Sounds like a problem starkers might have.

July 4, 2009 9:09:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cadalancea,
Well, super. I thought this was resolved, but I guess not.

Today I purchased a GeForce 9400 GT graphics card. It matched all my system specs, and my input type. When I actually went to install it, i realized a problem. The input pins were flipped. I can't plug it into my computer, because the outputs would be left inside the CPU. I can't understand it. There's no way to flip the card and put it in, like I did with my old graphics card. It says it's PCI compatible, and my computer has a PCI port, so whats going on?

Note: I noticed that on the box it says it's PCI Express x16. This was not listed online or on the Nvidia website. Is this the problem? If so, how do I know what PCI port to look for, or has the entire computer world changed the way PCI ports work since I got this computer 4-5 years ago.

Thats why I said you should consider a new PC.

Basically, Anyhting with PCI-Express wont fit, you need a flat PCI card just "PCI" no random fancy lettering. however, i'm not sure whether those cards are actually still in production.

July 4, 2009 11:20:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

read reply no#3 again..

PCI express x16  ports have a little clip on the end of them.. pci no.

July 5, 2009 4:35:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

as well at 4-5 yrs old your power supply is aging and that may be that cause of your video card going bust. if so it will soon do the same to other system components like the CPU or toast a new video card shortly after you replace it.

I have to agree with the comment above, rather than replacing the video card you need a new system. you can get some decent systems for about $500-600.

if you do find a better PCI video card that what you have, I would also look into replacing the power supply, at least a new one of the same size or perhaps slightly larger (ie....if you have a 300w, you want to go 300-350w)

July 5, 2009 5:12:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@firebrick: Oh, I see what you're talking about.

I'm not entirely sure if I can even find a card that is just simple PCI. I'll have to look into it..

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.